Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Openers Being Announced
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:06

When the John Mayer Trio opened for the Stones in DC back in 2005, the crowd mostly ignored them and milled buying food, drinks, and tee shirts while waiting for the Stones. I imagine it will be the same for a large portion of the audience for many of the opening acts on this tour, though there are some fairly big acts on the list, so far.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:07

Gary Clark Jr opening San Diego.

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:16

3 left.

Pitt ??
Indy ??
Detroit ??

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:24

plqmule
3 left.

Pitt ??
Indy ??
Detroit ??

and Minneapolis

Date: May 20, 2015 02:25

Minn is Grace Potter.

[www.jambands.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:26

Gfmsoccer
Some of these are brilliant even if you don't know them, or care for their sound. Ed Sheeran in KC. The need to fill that huge stadium and he's hot with the college kids. Paisley in Nashville is great to sell tickets there.
Milwaukee's already soldout, so Buddy Guy is great for older Stones fans.
Grace Potter is awesome, she'll rock too. Good fit for the Stones.

Remember this is all to help fill empty stadiums. They weren't going to have opening acts until they saw how slow the sales were. So the acts they pick are to bring in the kids of the fans already attending.

Great points all...
and as much I could not care less about most of these acts some do seem to be cross marketing for the slower selling shows, which is a good idea to try to move all of those unsold tickets without having to pay out a ton of money.

Date: May 20, 2015 02:33

Walk The Moon Detroit
AWOL Nation Pittsburgh

Date: May 20, 2015 02:33

GAFF

Well at least someone who can rock!

Posted by: bkrancho ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:35

BluzDude
jumpontopofmebaby
Any word on Nashville or Kansas City?

...or Sandy Eggo?

Gary Clark Jr.

Date: May 20, 2015 02:36

Now just wondering about Indy

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:38

Leonioid
Gfmsoccer
Some of these are brilliant even if you don't know them, or care for their sound. Ed Sheeran in KC. The need to fill that huge stadium and he's hot with the college kids. Paisley in Nashville is great to sell tickets there.

Remember this is all to help fill empty stadiums. They weren't going to have opening acts until they saw how slow the sales were. So the acts they pick are to bring in the kids of the fans already attending.

Great points all...
and as much I could not care less about most of these acts some do seem to be cross marketing for the slower selling shows, which is a good idea to try to move all of those unsold tickets without having to pay out a ton of money.

Yes, and I think Gary Clark Jr is great for me in San Diego. He's a really good tribute to the blues, which fits the Stones well. I'd be curious to see how each venues sales change after these announcements.

My experience at past Stones shows is most older fans stand around drinking & socializing during the opening act, and don't really pay attention.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:42

GAFF

Hell yeah! Might even have to call off the Dana Point surf session for this one...

Curious why they waited so long to announce the openers? Can't recall what they have done in the past. Were they waiting to see if they could sell out without opening acts? Anyway I suspect this the announcement(s) we were all expecting.

peace

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:43

Happy with Buddy Guy for Milwaukee;
ok with Kid Rock for Columbus.
Would have loved Grace Potter; am stunned folks here don't like her;
she is outstanding live.
Hoping for someone special for Indy...

Date: May 20, 2015 02:43

Gfmsoccer
Leonioid
Gfmsoccer

Great points all...

Yes, and I think Gary Clark Jr is great for me in San Diego. He's a really good tribute to the blues, which fits the Stones well. I'd be curious to see how each venues sales change after these announcements.

My experience at past Stones shows is most older fans stand around drinking & socializing during the opening act, and don't really pay attention.

I represent that remark ;)

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:53

I hope that everyone enjoys the opening acts. I'm going to
ATL, ORL, Raleigh and Nashville. However, I remain Onlystones.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:54

So, I guess this was (kind of) the special announcement? It was one of the ones predicted anyways...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:56

Gary Clark is a yawn when it comes to the blues. John Mayer practically blew him off the stage and that's sad. The only one lamer for the blues is Robert Cray. And Kid Rock? He just samples old songs like Sweet Home Alabama and speaks over them some nonsense about missing drive-ins.

Posted by: Concertfan ()
Date: May 20, 2015 02:57

Kid Rock - Columbus

[www.schottensteincenter.com]

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:01

Wow, St. Paul and Broken Bones! That makes me want to go out and buy a ticket. Not!!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:08

If people were disinclined to spend upwards of $400 before, none of these openers will make them change their minds. You can see a full set by Temperance Movement in a small club for less than $20. All these acts will be reduced to irrelevance in a stadium setting, except for Kid Rock and maybe Brad Paisley.

Date: May 20, 2015 03:13

But if "Kids" were on the fence... kind of maybe sort of wanting to go or not... or their parents someone else was going and footing the bill... it might push them over the fence and say "yeah I'll go with you".

I imagine they will sell some tickets to fence sitters.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:25

a bigger nut
floodonthepage
'Summerfest' announced Buddy Guy as the opener in Milwaukee!! SWEET

Ohhhhhh, what a great opener !!!

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sheryl Crow join in on a song as she is playing there the next night with a couple open dates before.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:31

Leonioid
But if "Kids" were on the fence... kind of maybe sort of wanting to go or not... or their parents someone else was going and footing the bill... it might push them over the fence and say "yeah I'll go with you".

That definitely happened with Dave Matthews Band + Metallica (when tickets were considerably cheaper). Not sure Grace Potter or Awolnation will get people off the fence, or the couch.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:31

24FPS
Gary Clark is a yawn when it comes to the blues. John Mayer practically blew him off the stage and that's sad. The only one lamer for the blues is Robert Cray. And Kid Rock? He just samples old songs like Sweet Home Alabama and speaks over them some nonsense about missing drive-ins.

Both extremely talented. I can only say good things about Mayer, but I'd rather hear Gary Clark Jr as an opener for the Stones - and also he fits in very well as a guest during a Stones song, if that is the plan.

I missed lots of opening bands during the ABB tour, but I plan to be present for the opening act for all four concerts I'm attending this tour - excellent opening acts - well ? not sure Kid Rock is still excellent? He used to be, but now? In any case, it will be interesting to see him and the others are all super.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:32

Munichhilton
gmanp
Announcement re Brad Paisley came from Stones on Facebook.
But local media have been reporting it as well (maybe they got it from FB ?
(Why did it have to be Brad Paisley? sad smiley

Brad does a great live show and is miles better than Grace Potter!

Seems like I'm getting both of them, and I'm happy! smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:40

Yeah Gary Clark is a tasteful player. Goes for less not more, and plays with a lot of blues feeling. I'd like to see him and his band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:41

jumpontopofmebaby
Kurt
Kid Rock for Columbus

For real. That would be way cool.

Oh God no

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:42

DeanGoodman
Leonioid

That definitely happened with Dave Matthews Band + Metallica (when tickets were considerably cheaper). Not sure Grace Potter or Awolnation will get people off the fence, or the couch.

Ed Sheeran might

Posted by: jagged69 ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:50

Ed Sheeran in Kansas city

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 20, 2015 04:02

a bigger nut
floodonthepage
'Summerfest' announced Buddy Guy as the opener in Milwaukee!! SWEET

Ohhhhhh, what a great opener !!!

Not only is it a great opener but chances of Buddy Guy playing a song with the Stones have just increased to likely to happen.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home