Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones or Mccartney To Topp the charts?
Posted by: perosand ()
Date: July 21, 2005 16:20

New Stones cd september 5 and Mccartney sept. 12.........
Who will lose or win the chart struggle ?
Stones seem to release new cd's at "wrong" time..
Forty Licks when Elvis topped with his 30 # 1 Hits........
Perry

Re: Stones or Mccartney To Topp the charts?
Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: July 21, 2005 16:25

Yeah it´s like in the sixties, very funny. No, actually Mick and Paul made clear that in 1966 Aftermath and Revolver were not published at the same time. But let´s face it: It´s 2005. Macca and the Stones are not THE MARKET anymore and their fans can afford to buy two or more albums at the same time. It´s not about pocket money anymore... lol

Date: July 21, 2005 16:28

After Live8 the Beatles sales boosted. Maybe Paul can profit from that for his solo album (its not going to sale as bad as Micks solo album - I am very sure about this). It´s Michael Jackson (he owns half of the Beatles rights) that gets all Live8 profits from the Beatles albums - to pay back his debts, while others like Pink Floyd give the money to charity.

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: July 21, 2005 16:32

Of course Paul will sell more albums, wtf?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 21, 2005 16:42

Somehow, I'm not interested in the new McCartney album, unlike since Flowers In the Dirt. I think his last one, Driving Rain, was really boring, and there were some unexpected long boring stretches in Flaming Pie, too, unfortunately. I downloaded his collaboration with Super Furry Animals on the track Free Now from the Liverpool Sound Collage, though, and that's a cool track. Especially the solo that consists of "sounds of the Mersey tunnel". He should have done some new songs with Super Furry Animals. But it was not to be.

So I think the Stones will be higher on the charts.

Date: July 21, 2005 17:05

Michael Jackson does not get all Beatle Money from Live 8
McCartney stills make money on Beatle songs.

A song earns money for both its writer and copyright owner each time it sells on a recorded format, is played on the radio or covered by another artist.

When Paul McCartney wanted to print the lyrics to "Eleanor Rigby" and other Beatles classics in the program for his 1989 world tour, he discovered he'd have to pay a fee to Michael Jackson.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 21, 2005 17:16

Who cares. Its not some sort of sport or competition.

By the way, I think any of Mick's solo albums are ten times better than anything that Mccartney has put out besides his work with the Beatles. I find it to be poppy crap. This perhaps says it all, I heard an interview with Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 who said that he was heavily influenced by Paul's solo and Wings albums. That says enough.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 21, 2005 17:22

In my opinion "Live and let die" was the last good song McCartney has written. In the 80s and 90s he only published crap. "Hope of Deliverance" is one of my most hated songs, excpetionally I don't understand the meaning of the piece of shit.

Even though "Goddess In The Doorway" wasn't that good, there are songs Mick wrote which are just perfect and very very good.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 21, 2005 17:39

I didn't like Flowers in the Dirt but have enjoyed each of Macca's subsequent albums alot. I agree with JJF - there's no competition in music. I hope both albums are good and do well. We're lucky both acts are still even interested in what's left of the music industry...

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 21, 2005 17:50

Sure the rolling stones will top the charts in Germany---and it will be the no.1

Voodou Lounge 5 weeeks no.1

Bridges to Babylon 4 weeks no.1

Fourty Licks 3 weeks no.2

live licks 2 weeks no. 9

Goodess in the doorway 2 weeks no.2

Dont think there was a mc. Cartney Album in the top 5 the last 12 years

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 21, 2005 20:02

In the US Paul's sales after "Tug Of War" havent been as strong as the Stones'. Who knows what the next one will sell - they have really varied. I havent liked much of his solo stuff, except for the debut & some singles ('Jet', 'Junior's Farm', 'Another Day.')

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 21, 2005 20:24

The last Macca album in 2001 debuted #26 in US and #46 in UK, the last Stones studio album (B2cool smiley debuted #3 in US and #6 in UK and Forty Licks debuted #2 in both US and UK behind Elvis with loads of copies.
Looking at Sep. 6 week in US, I can't see competition for the Stones so they can reach #1 there by first time since 1981. In UK I see more competition, maybe a Top 3.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 21, 2005 21:37

Actually Jacksons owns 100% of the Beatles rights.
He had to re-finance and what did he do? He bought the 50% of Sony back.
It's one financial complicated mess.

About McCartney. Flaming Pie is one of the best records he ever did since leaving the beatles. Don't forget the one after that... Run Devil Run... he completely blows Lennons Rock & Roll away with that one.

I'm not a big fan of Driving Rain. But on his next he will play every instrument again. And when he does that it's always very intresting (McCartney & McCartney II).

Posted by: wawijr ()
Date: July 21, 2005 23:26

So, for $47.5 million, Jackson acquired the publishing rights to most of the Beatles songs. (The four songs issued on the Beatles' first two singles -- "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You" and "Please Please Me" b/w "Ask Me Why" -- were not part of the package since they were published before the formation of Northern Songs, and the rights to those songs are now controlled by McCartney's MPL Communications. ATV also did not own the rights to George Harrison songs published after Harrison's songwriting contract with Northern Songs expired in 1968, but they did hold the rights to various other Lennon-McCartney songs not recorded by the Beatles.)

As a closing note, we should mention that Sony Corp. paid Michael Jackson $95 million in 1995 to merge ATV with Sony and form Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a 50-50 joint venture, so it's probably more correct to say that Jackson now owns half the rights to the Beatles catalog.

[www.snopes.com]

Date: July 22, 2005 12:27

After hearing Streets of love it will not be hard for Macca beating this Mick solo leftover.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: July 22, 2005 14:00

hahaha after hearing rough justice they will beat macca easy

Date: July 22, 2005 14:07

hahaha, lol, maybe. we´ll see. i am happy there are at least two great songs (Rough Justic + Oh No Not You Again). Let´s hope for more!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 23, 2005 21:33

wawijr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> As a closing note, we should mention that Sony
> Corp. paid Michael Jackson $95 million in 1995 to
> merge ATV with Sony and form Sony/ATV Music
> Publishing, a 50-50 joint venture, so it's
> probably more correct to say that Jackson now owns
> half the rights to the Beatles catalog.
>

I said in a post above that Jackson bought that 50% back from Sony.
It is believed he again owns the full 100%

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 23, 2005 21:49

Out of Theme:----Stones High above Vs---Sir Paul

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 23, 2005 23:29

I don't give a shit. What's thrilling me, is to get a cool rocking Stones album, I don't care about anything lifted Paulie does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home