Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones on Letterman for final night May 20th ?
Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:07

I was a Letterman devotee for years and years. I stopped watching partly because my hours changed to getting up earlier for work. Also I thought Dave got a little too mellow after his son was born and he got married. I liked his edge with the celebs, while I appreciated his more positive moments such as right after 9/11 and so forth.

I too will likely watch the last show, just for old times sake.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:23

angee
I was a Letterman devotee for years and years. I stopped watching partly because my hours changed to getting up earlier for work. Also I thought Dave got a little too mellow after his son was born and he got married. I liked his edge with the celebs, while I appreciated his more positive moments such as right after 9/11 and so forth.

I agree that the last few years and esp since his retirement annoucement he was phoning it is... BUT...

The last month has been amazing. He has had guests on (his favorite people) who were there for him, not to pump their latest projects. And they showed nightly highlight reels of some of the best stuff over the years. It has been a blast. One night Jerry Seinfeld came out and did the EXACT routine he did 20 years ago on his first guest spot and it held up perfectly. And there was.... well anyway... I almost started a thread about how good it was, but I knew the "meat to the sharks" reaction it would get, so I didnt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-19 03:26 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:38

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:58

Leonioid
angee

I agree that the last few years and esp since his retirement annoucement he was phoning it is... BUT...

The last month has been amazing. He has had guests on (his favorite people) who were there for him, not to pump their latest projects. And they showed nightly highlight reels of some of the best stuff over the years. It has been a blast. One night Jerry Seinfeld came out and did the EXACT routine he did 20 years ago on his first guest spot and it held up perfectly. And there was.... well anyway... I almost started a thread about how good it was, but I knew the "meat to the sharks" reaction it would get, so I didnt.

Thanks, Leonioid--That does sound good.

Rockman, well, I'm glad he's up for it! He agreed to do the show, for the first time in 22 yeara, huh.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-19 03:59 by angee.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 19, 2015 04:01

Dylan was on once in the 80's promoting his "Infidels" album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 19, 2015 04:36

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 19, 2015 04:41

This Bob guy sounds exciting!
Who the hell is he?

Date: May 19, 2015 04:54

Munichhilton
This Bob guy sounds exciting!
Who the hell is he?

He is not the Glimmerman... he is the Zimmerman

He was cool and then he went electric and some say he ruined it all.
But it remains to be seen,
That answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind... some say a Hurricane.

Date: May 19, 2015 07:32

Bob Dylan to perform on Tuesday night, Letterman's penultimate show, they just said.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 19, 2015 07:55

2120Wolf
lem motlow
letterman has been washed up for years-even if you like him you cant argue the facts.

leno crushed him in the ratings for 20 years straight and he even came in 3rd enough times that he put up a billboard in new york trying to make fun of it-"yeah.we're number 3" or something and it made him just look stupid.

truth is the guy seemed more and more bitter as the years wore on and he never got to be the actual king of late night like his idol johnny carson.

mick has a sense of humor when people bash the stones,keith doesnt.the chances of you seeing them kiss the ring of a guy who's probably losing in the ratings to jimmy fallon-less than zero.

he's just another sucker the stones outlasted.

Lem you should have learned by now that ratings mean shit...

Agreed, F the ratings. And by the way did Leno get a send off and reverence like what Dave is getting?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2015 09:57

Geeeeeeeeez hope Mr Zimmerman don't do The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2015 09:58

Rockman
Geeeeeeeeez hope Mr Zimmerman don't do The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

lol>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:42

Forever Young??

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:51

wow if dylan is doing tuesday night maybe the stones are doing wednesday night and eddie vedder is just a cover story? could make sense...

you don't follow bob dylan with eddie vedder. it's just not done.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:54

No conspiracy...Eddie Vedder was on last night (Monday).

Date: May 19, 2015 15:58

bye bye johnny
No conspiracy...Eddie Vedder was on last night (Monday).

oops.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 20, 2015 01:06

Maindefender
F the ratings. And by the way did Leno get a send off and reverence like what Dave is getting?

yeah,ok.but the thing is the nielson ratings decide what you see on television.with literally billions of dollars at stake the ratings dictate what a network can make in advertisement money,if a show doesnt hold up its gone.

with nbc's jimmy fallon nearly doubling lettermans audience on a nightly basis the writing was on the wall.people don't "retire" from a job that pays millions for working a few hours a week,it was leave or be fired.

the leno's and lettermans of the world often use their humor to demean and marginalize other people.

las vegas entertainer wayne newton was the brunt of a running gag by late night king johnny carson that hinted newton was gay.

newton,who stands 6"2 and made his living working in joints owned by the mob flew to los angeles,marched past the receptionist and into carson's office and told carson to his face"one more joke and i'll knock your teeth down your throat"-the jokes ended that day.

the rolling stones arent so forward,they simply keep working and outlasting everyone.every stones fan has heard the line's from the narrative put forth by these guys and their crowd-"the stones,they're soooo old"-

while the band should have been praised in the 80's and 90's for their longevity in the music business the way a willie nelson,B.B. king,or even a contemporary such as paul mccartney was,the stones were attacked by a barrage of insults.

but in a strange twist of fate,when the stones tour starts on may 24th,leno and letterman will be sitting home.put out of business by one of the worlds biggest rolling stones fans-jimmy fallon.

gold rings on ya jimmy...

Date: May 20, 2015 01:22

Was Johnny surprised that the gays started standing up for themselves?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 20, 2015 01:23

<<while the band should have been praised in the 80's and 90's for their longevity in the music business the way a willie nelson,B.B. king,or even a contemporary such as paul mccartney was,the stones were attacked by a barrage of insults.>>

Those other artists named are solo artists, who are their own bosses and have everyone else working for them--this is viewed as a positive thing. Whereas the Stones are a group, and are thus viewed as a gang, because music groups are fraternal, and it is looked down upon to be in such a fraternal setting at such an advanced age, like gang members who refused to grow up while all their peers had left their respective gangs and gone on to form their own careers and so forth.

Had the Beatles stayed together into the nineties (had Lennon lived), their perceived legacy would be seen very differently today, and critics would be pointing to their ever diminishing contemporary influence as well as latter-day failure to dominate the hit singles charts the way they used to. There's something to be said for going out on top. Jagger learned this lesson all too well by launching a solo career a good 10 or 12 years too late. Had he done so in 1972 and come into his own as a solo act along with Bowie and Reed, then we would be viewing Jagger's legacy as a solo performer much differently today.

Instead, Mick stayed with his old gang, trading in relevance for the safe route of the big-money oldies act.

Check your rock n roll history: A group is for 5 or 10 years if they're lucky, but a solo career is for life.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 20, 2015 01:27

Wayne Newton threatening to punch Carson's teeth down his throat was not "the gays standing up for themselves," it is not in the history books next to Stonewall, etc. Carson stopped making Wayne Newton jokes, not gay jokes.

Date: May 20, 2015 01:40

Rokyfan
Wayne Newton threatening to punch Carson's teeth down his throat was not "the gays standing up for themselves," it is not in the history books next to Stonewall, etc. Carson stopped making Wayne Newton jokes, not gay jokes.

Oh ok, because I didnt even know Wayne was a gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Date: May 20, 2015 01:43

Leonioid
Rokyfan

Oh ok, because I didnt even know Wayne was a gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I didn't either, not that there is anything wrong with that either.

Date: May 20, 2015 02:23

[www.youtube.com]

.....keep on rolling.....

Date: May 20, 2015 02:35

You Got to Roll Me

Interesting,

btw- if you would like the video to show simply
delete the "s" off of https at the front of the address.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 20, 2015 04:32

Wayne Newton has been married to Kathleen twenty years, and to his first wife sixteen years. If he is gay he is in the closet.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 20, 2015 06:23

It's got to be Bruce Springsteen. Macca or the Stones would be great but I assume it's a big American artist.

Also, I'm surprised I haven't seen Regis on yet. He must be the main guest on the last show.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: May 20, 2015 07:39

Wuudy
It's got to be Bruce Springsteen. Macca or the Stones would be great but I assume it's a big American artist.

Also, I'm surprised I haven't seen Regis on yet. He must be the main guest on the last show.

You called it Wuudy!!! Regis showed up. He was on tonight, but he had a good slot... tomorrow must be... who knows what they have planned. I might tune in.

Dylan was cool...
He played "The night we called it a day" or whatever it is called.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2015 07:44

>He played "The night we called it a day" or whatever it is called

A debut (by which I mean, the first time he's played it in concert).

Date: May 20, 2015 07:49

But I am kind of bummed out, after Letterman is gone, late night talk shows are dead to me. I can not stand any of the new crop of "hosts". I tried them all, gave tham plenty of time, but they are... not my cup of tea.

This is the end of an era for me that dates back to Johnny Carson.

Oh well, it is good thing there are plenty of other....zzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 20, 2015 08:15

Carson

Letterman

Everybody else

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home