Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Stones on Final Letterman??
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 17, 2015 20:27

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: May 18, 2015 01:17

Eddie Vedder..pass

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2015 03:09

I'll guess Foo Fighters will be on the final show... as Dave is a huge fan of them. We'll see, a few more days ...

Re: Rolling Stones on Letterman for final night May 20th ?
Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 18, 2015 03:42

I'm reading Dylan for Tuesday show, second last one.

There may not be a musical guest for the last show.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 03:51 by angee.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 18, 2015 03:59

Anyone else see the episode when Charlie was supposed to be on but got tired of waiting in the green room so he walked out? Letterman couldn't believe it. I don't recall the year, Charlie was promoting one of his jazz albums.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 18, 2015 04:09

Found this article from 1996:

[www.nydailynews.com]

THE LAST time Charlie Watts was scheduled to play the show with his jazz group, he didn't. That was back in 1993, toward the end of Letterman's run with "Late Night" at NBC, and the problem was that when Watts showed up, he was told he had to play with the Letterman band, not his own. Bad move. As the drummer for the Rolling Stones for more than 30 years, the 51-year-old Watts has been disrespected in better joints than this. Okay, worse ones, too. In any case, he walked. Now he's rescheduled to play Letterman tomorrow, on the eve of a show at New York's Supper Club with his jazz quintet, and he's confident the problem will not recur. A spokeswoman for Letterman's CBS "Late Show" says it won't that this time, everything is set. The earlier incident, it's said, was an unfortunate miscommunication, and Watts himself says he places no responsibility on his host. "It was nothing to do with David Letterman," he says. "It was the producers, or whoever, that said I had to play with the house band, not my own. I found it ridiculous and insulting, because the whole reason I was there in the first place was to play with my group. If it happened again, I'd walk out again."

But he doesn't think it will which is good, because he does enjoy the part where he actually plays the music at least enough to put up with the occasional discomfort of having to talk about it. These days, specifically, he's talking about a new CD called "Long Ago and Far Away," played by the Charlie Watts Quintet with orchestral backing. The songs are jazz and pop standards like the title tune and "What's New?."

The vocals are by Bernard Fowler, who has sung on the last two Stones tours. In fact, the idea for this new CD was hatched during the last Stones tour, to provide Watts a musical haven. "I look forward to the jazz projects," he says. "These are all songs I knew from years back. I remember my mother singing 'Long Ago and Far Away' when I was a child."

So he's doing a modest 11-day, five-city tour, during which he basically wants to convey the sense of what the music really sounds like, which is why it's important that he play with his own group. "I don't mean to insult the Letterman band," he says. "But you can't play jazz with guys who don't play it. You can't back Bernard Fowler with a synthesizer lick. If it was a union thing, where his band has to play, fine, they should have just told me ahead of time and I wouldn't have [agreed to] it."

Incidentally, Watts also doesn't think TV in general serves music well, from jazz to the Stones. "It feels flat," he says. "You lose the excitement of live playing. Even programs that are well produced, like 'Unplugged,' I lose interest in after about 30 minutes. "The only music programs I thought well presented on TV were the CBS jazz shows of the '50s, with Billie Holiday and Miles Davis and so on. The music came across quite well there, I think."

Meanwhile, Watts says he expects the Stones will roll again, though he says there are no plans for a new record or tour yet. Hanging around his house, listening to classical music on the radio, he doesn't give the subject a lot of thought. "If the Rolling Stones ended tomorrow, I'd think it was a great 30 years and it's made me quite comfortable. But there would be no regrets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 04:11 by Glam Descendant.

Date: May 18, 2015 04:27

Season 3 Episode 188 Jack Hanna, Brent Spiner, Charlie Watts

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 18, 2015 05:19

Ron Wood's been on Letterman, very funny conversations. Mick promoted Wandering Spirit with a walk-on. Mick did Letterman's Top Ten list recently to promote the Stones' 50th. Keith has never appeared because he's shy and because Letterman was prank calling a mutual female platonic friend of the Stones.

Steve Jordan, who plays drums on Keith's solo albums and tours, was drummer in Letterman's band about 20 years ago. Keith has worked with Letterman's band leader Paul Shaffer. As for the Stones flying back to NYC to be on Letterman's final show, no chance.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2015 13:27

Haven't seen Letterman for years. Did he marry that intern girl?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 18, 2015 13:41

love the stones but i do not see them going on Dave . The Boss should be the last musical guest on late show , just like he was the last guest on late night in 1993 .Bruce should do Glory Days

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2015 13:50

Long and great career for Letterman. Jimmy Fallon in his prime and the better show now.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 18, 2015 15:30

A Letterman devotee, only watched Fallon during EOMS week and Keith appearances. Looking forward to Colbert in the Fall

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 18, 2015 15:49

I watched a bit of Letterman during the early NBC late late show days, at that point he was more energetic and still innovative with his humor. But once he started his show on CBS (which started before midnight), imo anyway he went down hill and never recovered (you can make a case that he and Conan O'Brien should only be for the after midnight crowd).

Still, I'll watch the final show out of curiosity. And no, don't think the Stones will be there (even by live satellite)...maybe Springsteen? or Billy Joel?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 15:51 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 18, 2015 15:58

Maindefender
A Letterman devotee, only watched Fallon during EOMS week and Keith appearances. Looking forward to Colbert in the Fall

+1 to all of the above thumbs up

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 18, 2015 17:52

Plink
Years ago, either on his show or in a TV interview (can't recall which), Dave said that he and his staff had tried & tried to get the Stones to make an appearance on the Late Show when they were performing at a theater down the street (the Beacon, I presume?) but they refused to participate because they were none-too-pleased w/ being the butt of Dave’s occasional “old age” jokes. !

Actually Mick was pissed and attacked Letterman in the press. I never thought he would have anything to do with the show after that.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 18, 2015 17:55

^^^ Was he pissed about the old age jokes or something else?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 18, 2015 18:50

stanlove
Plink
Years ago, either on his show or in a TV interview (can't recall which), Dave said that he and his staff had tried & tried to get the Stones to make an appearance on the Late Show when they were performing at a theater down the street (the Beacon, I presume?) but they refused to participate because they were none-too-pleased w/ being the butt of Dave’s occasional “old age” jokes. !

Actually Mick was pissed and attacked Letterman in the press. I never thought he would have anything to do with the show after that.
it was across the street on 53rd street at the roseland ballroom and Dave sent one of his staff over their to get in and do a segment and J.C was not having any of it

Posted by: Keef551 ()
Date: May 18, 2015 18:55

Way too big a set of logistics for Dave in his wind down mode. And it would upstage Dave's last hurrah. But, hey, what a great idea!

Posted by: Keef551 ()
Date: May 18, 2015 19:09

The Fonda did move their act for the 20th off the books, and some rock website is announcing it as a done deal. I could see the guys wanting to warm up with something a little bigger than a small club like the Echo. Tickets will be sucked up by those with the wherewithal, per usual. I'll monitor it but will be fine with Petco on Sunday. But it would be awsome to get in. LA has such a good simpatico with the Stones.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 18, 2015 19:43

Plink
^^^ Was he pissed about the old age jokes or something else?

Old age jokes.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:07

I'm hearing last night guest will be Macca....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:17

jrcjohnny99
I'm hearing last night guest will be Macca....

Should be Macca and the Stones!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:48

letterman has been washed up for years-even if you like him you cant argue the facts.

leno crushed him in the ratings for 20 years straight and he even came in 3rd enough times that he put up a billboard in new york trying to make fun of it-"yeah.we're number 3" or something and it made him just look stupid.

truth is the guy seemed more and more bitter as the years wore on and he never got to be the actual king of late night like his idol johnny carson.

mick has a sense of humor when people bash the stones,keith doesnt.the chances of you seeing them kiss the ring of a guy who's probably losing in the ratings to jimmy fallon-less than zero.

he's just another sucker the stones outlasted.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: May 19, 2015 01:51

I´m sorry, but as far as I know Dylan is playing Indiana tomorrow.... how can he be on the Letterman really???

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: May 19, 2015 01:53

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 19, 2015 01:58

RawIguanaCologne
I´m sorry, but as far as I know Dylan is playing Indiana tomorrow.... how can he be on the Letterman really???

He is not. His next gig isn't till 6/20 in Germany. The Letterman appearance tomorrow is confirmed on his website.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 19, 2015 02:01

All the facts (like who was on) the final show will be postedon social media right after/as they tape the show so if anything really cool happens there will be time to be prepped to see it that night.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 19, 2015 02:10

Didn't Bette Midler send off Johnny? Maybe it will be someone in that vein, Carly Simon, etc?

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: May 19, 2015 02:25

Munichhilton
bye bye johnny
Nothing's been confirmed for May 20.

Bette Midler was on Johnny Carson's last "Tonight Show".

Crap. I thought I was onto TV gold there...even had a song picked out

Could still happen you never know...My call for the closeouts are Ringo & Paul...Dylan & The Stones

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: May 19, 2015 02:28

lem motlow
letterman has been washed up for years-even if you like him you cant argue the facts.

leno crushed him in the ratings for 20 years straight and he even came in 3rd enough times that he put up a billboard in new york trying to make fun of it-"yeah.we're number 3" or something and it made him just look stupid.

truth is the guy seemed more and more bitter as the years wore on and he never got to be the actual king of late night like his idol johnny carson.

mick has a sense of humor when people bash the stones,keith doesnt.the chances of you seeing them kiss the ring of a guy who's probably losing in the ratings to jimmy fallon-less than zero.

he's just another sucker the stones outlasted.

Lem you should have learned by now that ratings mean shit...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home