Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones on Letterman for final night May 20th ?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 17, 2015 01:58

Norm Macdonald's appearance last night was TV gold.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-17 02:00 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 17, 2015 02:22

latebloomer
This would be very cool, but doesn't Keith hate Letterman? grinning smiley

Not sure about hating Letterman, but back in the nineties he did make some critical comments regarding the rumor that Dave keeps his television studio at near Arctic temperatures during taping because he's afraid to sweat, to which Keith said, referring his job on stage, "I sweat every night!"

Don't know how this Letterman rumor for the last show got started, but I doubt the Stones would want to be noted for closing a show they've never actually been on.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 02:45

I doubt Dave would particularly want them on his last night.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:14

TeddyB1018

You got that right. Its not about The Stones. Its about saying goodbye.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:27

More Hot Rocks
TeddyB1018

Agreed - the Stones would steal all his thunder.
And aside from that, alot of his older audience (like my 70 year old aunt whose a huge Letterman fan) could care less about the Stones.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:43

latebloomer

That makes two of us! My vote would be for Jimmy Fallon.. He is a diehard Stones fan and runs a great show. Conan and SNL would also be great shows. Letterman has been an unfunny bitter liberal for way too long. He lost many of us over the years as his anger became more prominent and the jokes worse.

No offense intended to any Letterman fans! Just my piddly two cents.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2015 04:06

flacnvinyl
latebloomer

That makes two of us! My vote would be for Jimmy Fallon.. He is a diehard Stones fan and runs a great show. Conan and SNL would also be great shows. Letterman has been an unfunny bitter liberal for way too long. He lost many of us over the years as his anger became more prominent and the jokes worse.

Agree with this regarding Letterman. thumbs up

Conan would probably never happen because he's on TBS which has limited his audience, but SNL would be a possibility.
My vote would be for Fallon, and Keith and Mick would probably agree if it came down to one choice as they both seem to like him.

With that said, there's still the possibility for Jimmy Kimmel in L.A?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 06:14

Back in the late 80's/early 90's Jerry Hall was a guest, and they phoned Mick while she was being interviewed by Dave. Jerry said something like, "Hi, I'm on now with your favorite late-night talk show host." And Mick replied over the phone, for all to hear, "Oh, you're on with Arsenio Hall?!?"

Dave just gave one of those "wouldn't you know it" sort of looks. He then asked Mick, over the phone, when/if he'd ever come on the show. Mick replied, "Well, I I'm on the show right now, right??" And that was that. Although the interview was technically with Jerry (promoting "Tall Tales" maybe? I can't remember), Mick was the highlight, even if he deliberately gave Dave a bit of a hard time. And he only "appeared" via the phone connection.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:04

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
TeddyB1018

Agreed - the Stones would steal all his thunder.
And aside from that, alot of his older audience (like my 70 year old aunt whose a huge Letterman fan) could care less about the Stones.

Excellent point but I couldn't help but smile reading your post about your older 70 year old aunt and knowing all the Stones except Ronnie are older than her. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:37

latebloomer

I think Keith is fine with Dave. Was Keith not on Dave's show promoting
his children's book or was that Fallon? As I remember the Replacements were
also on the show that night. Maybe it was Fallon come to think of it. But
Anyway, I think Keith did some promo work on Dave's show for Keith's book
or the exile redo.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:45

I don't expect any musical guests on Letterman's final show. Maybe even no guests at all (except perhaps a walk-on by Regis). I expect there will be some clips of Dave's favorite moments from his 33 year run. Whatever it turns out to be, the focus will be on Dave- as it should be. When Carson left The Tonight Show, Letterman rightfully inherited the title of 'Dean of Late-Night Talk Shows'. None of the other late night pretenders can touch him; they all know it and they all acknowledge it. But no way in hell are the Stones going to be on.

Date: May 17, 2015 07:48

flacnvinyl
latebloomer

Agreed and not wanting to offend any liberals either. It is just a Dave thing.
He seems bitter and angry. I was a big fan of Daves's show many years ago. I
even sent him a record for his "Daves's record collection" segment which he
Played at least twice. The record was William Shatner's album on which he
Sang "Mr Tamborine man" and "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" - as bad as
anyone can possibly imagine and then some! That was around 1982 or 83.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 17, 2015 08:03

Years ago, either on his show or in a TV interview (can't recall which), Dave said that he and his staff had tried & tried to get the Stones to make an appearance on the Late Show when they were performing at a theater down the street (the Beacon, I presume?) but they refused to participate because they were none-too-pleased w/ being the butt of Dave’s occasional “old age” jokes. Dave seemed surprised/disappointed that they took it all so seriously. Mick did do the top 10 several years later (for purely promotional reasons, I would assume). IIRC, Mick & Keith were supposed to deliver that top 10 list together, and promos for it included Keith’s name along w/ Micks. This surprised me because, like Latebloomer, I'd heard or read that Keith has no love for Letterman. Of course, KR was a no-show that night. Perhaps his absence was his way of delivering a message? I love Dave and think it would be fantastic to see the Stones perform on his show but I can’t imagine that happening. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, though!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 09:00

Well, maybe it'll be Bruce again, as it was in 1993, for his final "Late Night" show, when he left NBC.

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 17, 2015 09:08

If not the Stones I would love to see Kanye West or members of the Grateful Dead. I think I'll be catching the re-run or seeing it online.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: May 17, 2015 09:15

Letterman should have left several years ago yet he too as did Cars
on over stay. However I'd put Dave in the top 3 along with Carson and the originator of the late night talk shows as we know them and that's the great Jack Paar who scooped Sullivan and was actually the first to introduce America to The Beatles whom opened the doors for our Rolling Stones.So Kudos to the late Jack Paar.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 17, 2015 09:20

I think he'll have Bruce Springsteen on. Wasn't he on his last NBC show or first CBS show?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 17, 2015 10:18

latebloomer

from when they wee neighbors that was ages ago I am sure time heals all wounds. The guys are old and think a bit differently then many minds on here. Not a knock just the facts.

Different generations....

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 17, 2015 10:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-17 12:07 by Plink.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 17, 2015 17:09

eyesoftheworld
If not the Stones I would love to see Kanye West or members of the Grateful Dead. I think I'll be catching the re-run or seeing it online.

Um.....what?

Date: May 17, 2015 20:50

flacnvinyl
latebloomer

Never have read such crap in my life.... Drake you are the Fox news of IORR!

.....keep on rolling.....

Date: May 17, 2015 21:12

Yes probably Bruce. However, the stones club date on the very same day is a glaring coincidence and the stones need some promo to move all thes stadium seats.

Date: May 17, 2015 23:53

You Got to Roll Me
flacnvinyl
latebloomer

More like the Drudge Report of IORR! I am 31.. You know I wouldn't pay for cable!

Sorry to offend you brother. Letterman bores me, and most of my liberal and libertarian friends.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 18, 2015 00:01

flacnvinyl
You Got to Roll Me
flacnvinyl
latebloomer

More like the Drudge Report of IORR! I am 31.. You know I wouldn't pay for cable!

Sorry to offend you brother. Letterman bores me, and most of my liberal and libertarian friends.

LOL. Well that certainly rules out the Fox News comparison. Say what you will about Letterman but he certainly still draws the good musical acts. His show has been on the "must" list for most new and upcoming acts.

peace

Date: May 18, 2015 00:56

Naturalust
flacnvinyl
You Got to Roll Me
flacnvinyl
latebloomer

LOL. Well that certainly rules out the Fox News comparison. Say what you will about Letterman but he certainly still draws the good musical acts. His show has been on the "must" list for most new and upcoming acts.

peace

Ha! Yes, the CBS orchestra/WMDB is the greatest TV/Film band ever....Theres a reason they've played at EVERY RRHOF induction ever, not to mention Concert for NY and 12/12/12....They are beyond fantastic!

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: May 18, 2015 01:16

it's Eddie Vedder.......SNNOOORRREEEE

Date: May 18, 2015 01:33

Tame Impala has never performed Letterman. Conan and Fallon = thumbs up

Stones on Final Letterman??
Date: May 17, 2015 20:16

Got Tickets to final letterman after putting into a lottery months ago... they are promising "Big Surprises"....Seems fitting that they would show up. Promote the tour...They've never done the show as a group....its a cool throwback from playing the ed Sullivan theater 50 years ago....Thoughts?

Re: Stones on Final Letterman??
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 17, 2015 20:18

"Big Surprises" - must be Edge "falling of stage" techique

Re: Stones on Final Letterman??
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2015 20:24

Shrek The Musical reunion

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home