Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Emotional Rescue vs. Steel Wheels (the outter edges of the 80s!)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2015 19:18

The albums that framed the 80s...the sandwich album between two undisputed greats, and the 'comeback album'. 1980 verses 1989....

EMOTIONAL RESCUE vs. STEEL WHEELS

The Matchups

Dance (Pt. 1) vs. Sad Sad Sad - Roll vs. Rock. Two very hot tracks kicking off side one's...a tough call...Dance Pt. 1 if only because of "Keith, wot you, wot chew doin'?! 1-0

Summer Romance vs. Mick's Mixed Emotions - ah, fantastic throwaway rocker verses lead single. Let's give it to ME, just because Keith shows Mick the bridge in the 25x5 video...yeah, I'm sure there's no way that was staged. 1-1

Send It To Me vs. Terrifying - Faux reggae vs. Faux Jazz. Love both. The toughest match so far. In a nod to Charlie, we'll give this one to Terrifying. 1-2

Let Me Go vs. Hold On To Your Hat - Let Me Go has more swing to it....I find it hard to be cool when it's hot. 2-2 tied up again!

Closing out side one....

Indian Girl vs. Hearts For Sale - ok, I'm pretty sure we have a good matchup here, in that no one actually cares who wins, and I'm in the majority! Hey, Little Indian Girl, I found your mama...you win! 3-2

OK, moving into side two with Emotional Rescue in the lead and some pretty spectacular match-ups moments away...

Where The Boys Go vs. Blinded By Love - Love Blinded by Love...love that toon. Way underrated. Where the Boys Go...of course. Mick in full cockney and the girls singing backup at the end...what's not to love? 4-2 Emotional putting some distance in.

Down In The Hole vs. Rock and a Hard Place - Some of the best original blues ever recorded by the band. Begging for cigarettes, begging for nylons, in the American Zone, vs. You Better Stop! Put on a Kind Face! - seriously? Easy one and by the way RAAHP is crap. 5-2 uh-oh Steel Wheels is on the Ropes and it's a must win round coming up!

Emotional Rescue vs. Can't Be Seen - I'll be your knight in shining armour and I love you...6-2 Steel Wheels getting trounced.

She's So Cold vs. Almost Hear You Sigh - Great ballad vs. Great weave. She's So Cold BUT SHE's BEAUTIFUL THOUGH!!! What a vocal, what guitars! It's ALL ABOUT THE BASS! The song that started me on the journey, and still sounds fresh 35 years later, plus an amazing video. A no brainer, 7-2

All About You vs. Continental Drift - Great Keith track to close out the album, but Continental Drift is an homage to Brian and the past, and adventurous, and possibly the best track on Steel Wheels. 7-3

OK, that sort of wraps it up, except we have two additional tracks on Steel Wheels, as though they felt they needed to offer a little more to make up for some of the weaker material...ok, so let's look at them....

Break The Spell...no thanks.

Slipping Away...thanks! In fact, if we put this one up against the other Keith Track All About You, I think Slipping might even edge it out! Regardless, let's give Steel Wheels a bonus point for effort, and a final score of 7-4!

Emotional Rescue EASILY takes this contest...to say nothing of the fact that the album SOUNDS so damn good, no evidence yet of the horrendous 80s over production that is just around the corner!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 19:25 by treaclefingers.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Emotional Rescue vs. Steel Wheels (the outter edge of the 80s!)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 16, 2015 19:27

Dance (Pt.1) vs Sad Sad Sad - Sad Sad Sad
Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions - Mixed Emotions
Send It To Me vs Terrifying - Terrifying
Let Me Go vs Hold On To Your Hat - Let Me Go
Indian Girl vs Hearts For Sale - Hearts For Sale
Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love - Blinded By Love
Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place - Rock And A Hard Place
Emotional Rescue vs Can't Be Seen - Can't Be Seen
She's So Cold vs Almost Hear You Sigh - Almost Hear You Sigh
All About You vs Continental Drift - All About You

Steel Wheels 8-2 Emotional Rescue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 19:27 by Big Al.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Emotional Rescue vs. Steel Wheels (the outter edges of the 80s!)
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 16, 2015 20:22

Dance (Pt.1) vs Sad Sad Sad -I prefer Dance, not because I like it, but because I find Sad Sad Sad the mother of all fillers
1 - 0

Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions - Mixed Emotions, it was big a disappointment, after WW III, that this was all that they could come up with, but it's better than Summer Romance, and it sort of grows on you.
1 - 1

Send It To Me vs Terrifying - Send It To Me, although it's one of their lamest attempts at reggae. Terrifying could have been better if they would have worked it more, give it something extra. Now, it's just a sketch of something that never really becomes anything at all. Also, the production of Terrifying is so slick and "80''s" sounding, it's like something Sting could have come up with.
2 - 1

Let Me Go vs Hold On To Your Hat - can't choose, two mediocre fillers
2 - 1

Indian Girl vs Hearts For Sale - Indian Girl. Like Sweethearts Together, it's kind of schmaltzy and cute, and oh well, I like it despite all of that. Anyway, Hearts for Sale is rubbish.
3 - 1

Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love - both are terrible, stupid and annoying
3 - 1

Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place - Rock And A Hard Place, I like both, but Rock and a Hard Place has more potential as a very original song (if only they had worked it more! Which is my eternal complaint for everything they have done since Undercover)
3 - 2

Emotional Rescue vs Can't Be Seen - Emotional Rescue, obviously
4 - 2

She's So Cold vs Almost Hear You Sigh - She's So Cold, obviously, actually the best song from Emotional Rescue
5 - 2

All About You vs Continental Drift - All About You, obviously
6 - 2

--- vs Break The Spell - deserves no points
6 - 2

--- versus Slipping Away - Slipping Away does deserve a lot of points (though the Stripped version is maybe better?)
6 - 3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 20:22 by matxil.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Emotional Rescue vs. Steel Wheels (the outter edges of the 80s!)
Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 16, 2015 20:57

Dance (Pt.1) vs Sad Sad Sad
Dance Pt. 2 would have won, but Pt. 1 simply doesn't cut it.

Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions
Very hard, but Mixed is slightly more memorable.

Send It To Me vs Terrifying
Send It To Me is maybe the strongest track on ER while Terrifying is everything Stones shouldn't to be.

Let Me Go vs Hold On To Your Hat
Let Me Go is wonderfully weird in a great way, HOYH is not very exciting even if the outakke version is 20x better.

Indian Girl vs Hearts For Sale
Hearts For Sale is without any doubt an underrated songs which deserves more attention.

Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love

Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place
DITH is okay, but somewhat forgettable, Rock And Hard Place is awesome and worked well in concert.

Emotional Rescue vs Can't Be Seen
Surprisingly enough we got hear both songs live the past two years. None of them were great, but Emotional Rescue was painful to hear.

She's So Cold vs Almost Hear You Sigh
Almost Hear You Sigh is the most cliché Stones ballad ever and I hate it.

All About You vs Continental Drift
ABY is not the kind song of which grows on you, quite the opposite really, but it's still miles better than Continental Drift.

Emotional Rescue: 4 points
Steel Wheels: 5 points

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 21:00 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 16, 2015 23:04

I find it hard to be cruel, but it's not hard to be cool...or when it's hot, with a smile

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 23:12

For me, Steel Wheels is definitely the winner. Maybe it's just because it was my first stones album, so, you know, it always has a special place

Date: May 17, 2015 00:58

Munichhilton
I find it hard to be cruel, but it's not hard to be cool...or when it's hot, with a smile

maybe you'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and move to the west side of town?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 01:01

steel wheels has slightly more than half the album which is good, also it has more variety than emotional rescue which has few good songs.

steel wheels by a late knockout for me.

Date: May 17, 2015 01:07

buttons67
steel wheels has slightly more than half the album which is good, also it has more variety than emotional rescue which has few good songs.

steel wheels by a late knockout for me.

by my count Steel Wheels is trying to employ a technique called the "rope-a-dope" which tries to have the other album punch itself out tired and Steel Wheels comes up to finish the fight off.

Unfortunately, Steel Wheels gets too many shots to the head because of not blocking effectively and hits the canvas, not able to get up after a standing eight count, in round 7. Hey, it happens.

Date: May 17, 2015 01:52

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

maybe you'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and move to the west side of town?

Been there...overrated

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 17, 2015 02:02

Steel Wheels wins by a landslide in my book. No contest.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2015 03:33

Dance vs Sad Sad Sad - Sad Sad Sad
Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions - Summer Romance
Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love - Where The Boys Go
Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place - How is this even debatable? Down In The Hole... OF COURSE.
Emotional Rescue vs Can't Be Seen - Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold vs Almost Hear You Sigh - She's So Cold

ER 7 STEEL WHEELS 3

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:52

treaclefingers
by my count Steel Wheels is trying to employ a technique called the "rope-a-dope" which tries to have the other album punch itself out tired and Steel Wheels comes up to finish the fight off.

SFISCOMN! (so funny i spit coffee out my nose)

Dance (Pt. 1) vs. Sad Sad Sad - Sad Sad Sad guitar is ok.// ER 0 SW 1

Summer Romance vs. Mixed Emotions - I dislike both songs and refuse to give a point to either. // ER 0 SW 1

Send It To Me vs. Terrifying - Dislike both so badly that i'm going to have to actually subtract a point from both fighters. // ER (-1) SW 0

Let Me Go vs. Hold On To Your Hat - Mick went out in the crowd during Let Me Go during the TY tour. Surely that's worth a point.// ER 0 SW 0

Indian Girl vs. Hearts For Sale - Every now and then Hearts for Sale does not make me cringe.// ER 0 SW 1

Where The Boys Go vs. Blinded By Love - Boys should be the title of an Annette Funicello movie. Blinded by Love should be the name of a race horse. No points. // ER 0 SW 1

Down In The Hole vs. Rock and a Hard Place - I always worried that Rock would threaten to become a warhorse. Hole wins easily. // ER 1 SW 1

Emotional Rescue vs. Can't Be Seen - Back in 1989 I watched the SW PPV on a friend's tv. When Seen came on, he put it on mute. Just last year I watched a 2013 Stones concert on youtube. When ER came on, ** I ** put it on mute. No points. // ER 1 SW 1

She's So Cold vs. Almost Hear You Sigh - My old band used to do Cold. The instrumental break was fun to play and made the band sound cool. // ER 2 SW 1

All About You vs. Continental Drift - my favorite tunes on each lp square off for game, set, match. If I was stoned I'd vote Drift. Drift it is. // ER 2 SW 6

TIE.

Date: May 17, 2015 14:52

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Been there...overrated

I can see the party's over.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2015 15:02

Steel Wheels wins!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 17, 2015 23:27

Emotional Rescue wins ....early knockout 9-1. Great Album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 18, 2015 11:58

Side A

Dance (Pt. 1) vs. Sad Sad Sad - Dance 1-0
Summer Romance vs. Mixed Emotions - Romance 2-0
Send It to Me vs. Terrifying - Send it 3-0
Let Me Go vs. Hold on to Your Hat - Let me go 4 -0
Indian Girl vs. Hearts for Sale - Hearts 4-1
? vs. Blinded By Love - Love 4-2

Side B

Where the Boys Go vs. Rock and a Hard Place - Boys 5-2
Down in the Hole vs. Can't Be Seen - Hole 6-2
Emotional Rescue vs. Almost Hear You Sigh - ER 7-2
She's So Cold vs. Continental Drift - Cold 8-2
All about You vs. Break the Spell - All About you 9-2
? vs. Slipping Away - Slipping Away - 9-3

C

Date: May 18, 2015 12:05

Side A

Dance (Pt. 1) vs. Sad Sad Sad - Dance 1-0
Summer Romance vs. Mixed Emotions - Summer Romance 2-0
Send It to Me vs. Terrifying - Terrifying 2-1
Let Me Go vs. Hold on to Your Hat - Let me go 3-1
Indian Girl vs. Hearts for Sale - Hearts for sale 3-2
? vs. Blinded By Love - Blinded By Love 3-3

Side B

Where the Boys Go vs. Rock and a Hard Place - Where The Boys Go 4-3
Down in the Hole vs. Can't Be Seen - Down In The Hole 5-3
Emotional Rescue vs. Almost Hear You Sigh - Almost hear you sigh 5-4
She's So Cold vs. Continental Drift - She's So Cold 6-4
All about You vs. Break the Spell - All About you 7-4
? vs. Slipping Away - Slipping Away 7-5

Date: May 18, 2015 16:18

spsimmons

That's some incredibly overproduced, infertile land

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: May 18, 2015 17:30

Dance vs Sad Sad Sad - Sad Sad Sad
Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions - draw
Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love - Where The Boys Go
Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place - Down In The Hole
All About You vs Continental Drift - Continental Drift

ER 5 – SW 4 - what makes a close victory of ER.

But “all over” I consider ER the much better album.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 18, 2015 17:38

Dance (Pt.1) vs Sad Sad Sad - Dance (Pt.1)
Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions - Summer Romance
Send It To Me vs Terrifying - Send It To Me
Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love - Wher The Boys Go
Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place - Down In The Hole

ER 9 SW 1 + the best Slipping Away

still hands down

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2015 18:07

Okey, I'll play:

Dance (Pt.1) vs Sad Sad Sad 1-0
Summer Romance vs Mixed Emotions 0-1
Send It To Me vs Terrifying 0-0
Let Me Go vs Hold On To Your Hat 1-1
Indian Girl vs Hearts For Sale 0-0
Where The Boys Go vs Blinded By Love 0-0
Down In The Hole vs Rock And A Hard Place 0-1
Emotional Rescue vs Can't Be Seen 1-0
She's So Cold vs Almost Hear You Sigh 0-1
All About You vs Continental Drift 0-0
------------------------------------------------------
total: 3-4 SW wins!

Date: May 18, 2015 18:41

Munichhilton
spsimmons

sounds as though steel wheels could use a plowman from the valley. we should tell him to come on up.

Date: May 18, 2015 19:00

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
spsimmons

sounds as though steel wheels could use a plowman from the valley. we should tell him to come on up.

Oh and on SW, Mick plays a bad guitar...

Date: May 18, 2015 19:07

smileys with beer
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
spsimmons

Oh and on SW, Mick plays a bad guitar...

I love it when someone throws something I said back in my face. Even though it's only 9:00 am where I am, I may gimme little drink in toast to you! smileys with beer

Posted by: FB ()
Date: May 18, 2015 19:40

Maybe we could do a battle between some of the previous stages? F.eks, to choose between 'A bigger bang' stage vs 'Steel weels?' smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2015 19:46

FB
Maybe we could do a battle between some of the previous stages? F.eks, to choose between 'A bigger bang' stage vs 'Steel weels?' smiling smiley

I think I would love it if you took the lead on that idea!

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: May 19, 2015 00:15

Both albums had some gems. I think overall ER was more solid, but I credit them for the experimentation on both. Some things didn't work, but they were trying.

Date: May 19, 2015 03:11

FB

Weird.
That's like comparing a clunker with a stinker

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:38

Munichhilton
FB

Weird.
That's like comparing a clunker with a stinker

there are 3 stages:

- cover band stage (up until andrew loog oldham locked them in the bathroom together)
- mick and keith writing great songs together
- everything recorded after "some girls", when they were no longer writing great songs together.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home