Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Post your favourite RS guitar-solos – by ALL guitarists
Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: May 17, 2015 10:59

KR - Carol on Ya Ya's

m.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 12:01

Carlos Santana has always been my favourite i that area,,, smiling smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 17, 2015 12:59

That YCAGWYW solo from '75 is pretty damn sweet, which show is it from?

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: May 17, 2015 13:26

Keith Studio:
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Monkey Man

Keith Live:
Around and Around, Love You Live
Under My Thumb, Hampton 1981

Ronnie Studio:
Beast of Burden
Neighbors
Blinded By Rainbows

Ronnie Live:
Worried About You, El Mocambo 1977
Just My Imagination, Hampton 1981
YCAGWYW, 1975-76, not sure which show. There's one specific version though. I can't find it on youtube.

Mick Taylor Studio:
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Dancing With Mr. D
Winter

Mick Taylor Live:
Slide solo in Love in Vain, Ladies and Gentlemen

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: May 17, 2015 13:54

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
71Tele
Naturalust
Ronnie had it going on for this one!

peace

I just don't hear it. Huge step down from two years earlier, and I mean the whole thing, not just the solos.

Let's compare (though Taylor never played a 6 (six!) minutes long solo! I think this is the longest solo he ever played with the Stones (4:10 - 7:35), thus 3:25 only:

Well, I like 'em both. They are both pretty representative of the styles of the two guitarists. It's not my favorite Taylor solo by a long shot, his noodling up and down the scales is technically competent but doesn't have as much emotional content as much of his other work, imo.

peace

If you only hear "noodling up and down the scales" and experience no emotional content - the different moods of this song his guitar do reflect - well, then it's end of story.

Imo the essential differences between those two solos are that one of them has nothing to tell, it's just trial and error with the chords of the song, even randomly, telling nothing, just loose notes, and the other is built according a lyrical pattern. But as Luxury Stones said elsewhere: one has to have ears for that. I would admit: also an emotional antenna.

Wew, I thought Naturalist wasn't serious ('Ronnie had it going on for this one!'), but he was...
Although Ron his sound is okay on this version, I stopped counting the notes he is missing ('just trial and error'). What a mess...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 17, 2015 14:37

Sacke

Wew, I thought Naturalist wasn't serious ('Ronnie had it going on for this one!'), but he was...
Although Ron his sound is okay on this version, I stopped counting the notes he is missing ('just trial and error'). What a mess...

Not exactly a solo you like to hear in the waiting room of a dentist. smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 17, 2015 15:26

Naturalust
Ok kleerie, I re-listened to both solos. This time I listened to the whole song. With Taylor, there are moments of pure brilliance in his playing. When he comes in with the solo, it's pretty powerful, the first half of the solo is awesome, the second half is a bit less so. Considering how simple musically the vocal line is, it's hard to hear where he is specifically playing off the vocal line, a you suggest. Perhaps you could point out where you are talking about. To me he is just riffing off the minor and major pentatonic scales.

The Wood solo actually seems to draw from the vocal line more than the Taylor solo, at least initally, certainly less notes, but some sweet ones, imo. Ronnie seems to find something that sound good and then exploits it for a few bars. One thing I like about it is that he seems to be listening to the others a bit more, leaving more space between his playing for the groove to re-establish itself. And overall it seems a bit less repetitive than Taylor's approach. Ronnie's also seems to built a slight bit better, starting less adventurous and building to some rather exciting playing, while Taylor leaves the gate at full throttle and seems to slowly bring it back down by the end. Different guitarists, different approach.

But like I said earlier, I like them both. Both are great examples of Stones solos and both work well of the simple two chord groove. Ronnie's is one of the best I've ever heard from him and Taylor's another great one in a huge pile of great ones.

peace

I guess it's difficult to listen to it without guitarists ears, but that is needed. Put those guitarists ears off and listen with emotional ears, so to speak. Taylor is telling a story, he is 'wording' the emotions that are in the song: the wanting, the longing, the trying, the frustration, and in the end, played wonderfully softly, (talking about dynamics), it's resignation: you can't always get what you want, however hard you try. Man, he telling the story of the song. Vocal lines don't matter then. The last part of his solo, the way he ends it, that's pure drama. Forget about scales and major and minor.

Ronnie's one on the contrary is trial and error with the melody, seeking and trying, but not finding any musical path, let alone hitting the emotions of the song. During his solo he's getting lost. And that for six long minutes. I wonder what Jagger might have thought.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 17, 2015 17:01

Ry Cooder on Sister Morphine - a perfect fit for the haunted eeriness of the song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 17, 2015 17:43

kleermaker

I guess it's difficult to listen to it without guitarists ears, but that is needed. Put those guitarists ears off and listen with emotional ears, so to speak. Taylor is telling a story, he is 'wording' the emotions that are in the song: the wanting, the longing, the trying, the frustration, and in the end, played wonderfully softly, (talking about dynamics), it's resignation: you can't always get what you want, however hard you try. Man, he telling the story of the song. Vocal lines don't matter then. The last part of his solo, the way he ends it, that's pure drama. Forget about scales and major and minor.

Ronnie's one on the contrary is trial and error with the melody, seeking and trying, but not finding any musical path, let alone hitting the emotions of the song. During his solo he's getting lost. And that for six long minutes. I wonder what Jagger might have thought.

Yes I do hear and understand your points, they are good ones. Perhaps one could describe Ronnie's trial and error approach as wanting, longing, frustration and not getting what you want too, maybe in a more literal sense. Ha. I guess one of the things I'm appreciating about the Wood solo is that he is indeed trying...its got some enthusiasm and tone that has disappeared from his playing for quite some time.

peace

Date: May 17, 2015 20:10

Where are the "errors"?

It's funny hearing about errors from people who probably haven't picked up a guitar in their lifetime.

Like NL says, Ronnie's solo is built up around feel and by listening to what the others actually are playing - not around some controlled scheme.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 17, 2015 20:10

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Mick Taylor
I Don't Know Why
Love In Vain (Ya Yas version)
Sway
Shine A Light
You Can't Always Get What you Want (Brussels)
All Down The Line
Winter

Keith Richards
Little Queenie (Ya Yas)
Bitch
Sympathy For The Devil (Ya Yas)

Ron Wood
When The Whip Comes Down
Hey Negrita (ok, not really a solo)
Far Awy Eyes (pedal steel)

Did Brian or Mick J. play any solos? Can't think of any.

Brian played several slide solos, like the one I posted.

Just exactly! Brian was Stone's sound with his slide guitar playing.

2 1 2 0

Date: May 17, 2015 21:00

thumbs up

Date: May 17, 2015 21:11

Naturalust
kleermaker

Yes I do hear and understand your points, they are good ones. Perhaps one could describe Ronnie's trial and error approach as wanting, longing, frustration and not getting what you want too, maybe in a more literal sense. Ha. I guess one of the things I'm appreciating about the Wood solo is that he is indeed trying...its got some enthusiasm and tone that has disappeared from his playing for quite some time.

peace

You made me laugh by that one Naturalust. grinning smiley

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: May 17, 2015 21:18

Keith's solo in 2120 S Michigan Ave is perfection (to my ears).

Date: May 17, 2015 21:37

It's baffling that people can't hear that fat tone on stuff like WAY and YCAGWYW, even in 2013/14.

Don't you even listen?

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 17, 2015 21:45

DandelionPowderman
It's baffling that people can't hear that fat tone on stuff like WAY and YCAGWYW, even in 2013/14.

Don't you even listen?

I hear it.
And it's very enjoyable in my opinion.
Better than Ronnie's otherwise thin guitar tone.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-17 21:59 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 17, 2015 23:15

Naturalust
Ronnie had it going on for this one!

peace

That's a great version, didn't know it. If he lets himself go, he really can do wonderful stuff.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 18, 2015 00:02

DandelionPowderman

Don't you even listen?

Tone is irrelevant if your playing's not up to it. His playing on Worried About You last time out was pretty decent and definitely a huge improvement on the stuff he did during the Licks tour, but all the YCAGWYW solos I heard from him from the O2 onwards were absolutely godawful.

Date: May 18, 2015 00:09

How can three or four clean notes be godawful? One can blame the arrangement, but not the notes Ronnie plays on it, imo. There are some exceptions, of course.

Btw, I replied to the critique of his tone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 00:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 18, 2015 00:15

With a couple of exceptions, the Taylorites once again couldn't help themselves and clearly show that they are more concerned with blaming Ron Wood rather than posting their favourite solos from the guitar players in their supposed favourite band...

Date: May 18, 2015 01:07

DandelionPowderman
How can three or four clean notes be godawful? One can blame the arrangement, but not the notes Ronnie plays on it, imo. There are some exceptions, of course.

Yes, but you also denied that he makes mistakes in his solos and implied that the only people who think he does aren't guitar players. This is nonsense. Take the Glastonbury solo, which we've discussed here before. It contains several glaringly obvious mistakes that no halfway decent player should make, and basically just sounds clumsy and phoned-in. If you don't hear that, you're the one that isn't listening.

Date: May 18, 2015 01:14

kleermaker

Well that was my intention....sometimes we take it all a bit too seriously. Overall we are lucky to be able to have such good music and the time to analyse it in such detail. My love for Taylor's work is pretty obvious but sometimes I feel the need to give Ronnie his dues too.

Now if you want to make me smile, find a good Wood solo and post it. grinning smiley

peace

Date: May 18, 2015 01:23

Naturalust
Now if you want to make me smile, find a good Wood solo and post it. grinning smiley

peace

Hopefully this should do it - 2.45, one of the best solos from one of the best performances I've heard from him, albeit not a Stones concert:

Date: May 18, 2015 01:42

Naturalust
kleermaker

Well that was my intention....sometimes we take it all a bit too seriously. Overall we are lucky to be able to have such good music and the time to analyse it in such detail. My love for Taylor's work is pretty obvious but sometimes I feel the need to give Ronnie his dues too.

peace

Okay Naturalust, because I love you. smiling smiley

Two pretty good blues solos by Ronnie with the Stones (I don't know any other):

edit: even two solos instead of one!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 01:44 by kleermaker.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 18, 2015 02:19

Which '75 show is that solo from? Would love to get my hands on it.

Date: May 18, 2015 03:32

Thanks kleerie! I knew you had it in you. It's obviously not about who is playing but about how much we like what we hear. The listening experience is pretty complex too, depends so much on mood, time of day, what we've heard before and so many other factors. I do find it very hard to listen to any guitar stuff without my guitar ears on. In fact I'm often visualizing the scales, notes and patterns being played as I hear them. Sometimes I wish i could turn it off and just hear from the heart! That prejudice makes me tend to like guitar parts I can't immediately understand what they are doing or guitarists that can still make a huge emotional impact with technically simple stuff, like BB King.

I doubt I'm alone here, it's a curse in a way. Many times I've learned magical pieces only to have the magic dissipate somewhat after learning them down to the last tiny nuance. I think it's this constant need to chase the magic that leads many guitarists into jazz and fusion or other instruments, where technical matters are less defined and the forms can be a bit more challenging.

Of course maturity can also bring us full circle, back to the simple blues and rock that we started off with. I'm at a point right now that I have a hard time being moved by just playing any instrument alone, spoiled by playing with other musicians and experiencing that push and pull...and it pisses me off!

Be well friend.

peace

Date: May 18, 2015 08:57

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

Yes, but you also denied that he makes mistakes in his solos and implied that the only people who think he does aren't guitar players. This is nonsense. Take the Glastonbury solo, which we've discussed here before. It contains several glaringly obvious mistakes that no halfway decent player should make, and basically just sounds clumsy and phoned-in. If you don't hear that, you're the one that isn't listening.

No, actually I didn't. I said "with some exceptions".

And I wondered where the so-called errors were in his 1975 solo.

PS: Is it that hard to find good Keith and Brian solos?

Date: May 18, 2015 09:27

DandelionPowderman

I didn't hear errors in his 1975 solo. I think the trial and error reference to that solo referred to his general approach of (fearlessly) trying different licks and runs as opposed to a more thought out cohesive approach. IMO, his trials all worked pretty well and his fearless approach was refreshing. That's one of the reasons like it and posted it.

Feel free to post those good Keith and Brian solos, I'm all ears.

peace

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2015 09:39

The Guitar-Solo-Era was between 1969 - 1974 thanks to Jimmy Page...Jimi and Zappa is not guilty for the guitar-solo-hysterica between those years... They were artists for real...Taylor who was Stone's solo-guy these years was great, and quite logically opted to make solo career after that...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2015 10:13

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I didn't hear errors in his 1975 solo. I think the trial and error reference to that solo referred to his general approach of (fearlessly) trying different licks and runs as opposed to a more thought out cohesive approach. IMO, his trials all worked pretty well and his fearless approach was refreshing. That's one of the reasons like it and posted it.

Feel free to post those good Keith and Brian solos, I'm all ears.

peace

Er, I did in my first post...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home