Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: U2 World Premiere Vancouver last night
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:00

They are playing FIVE nights at the Forum in LA, that's a lot in one city these days!smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:09

Five in the Forum is alot, although in previous tours, they were doing multiple nights in stadiums. They're also doing four nights in Montreal. 2 Vancouver shows will draw probably 36000 in the round. Last time in Van they played BC Place in the round so there were over 60000.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:10

nothing from Zooropa
nothing from Pop
one song from All That You Can't Leave Behind
two songs from How To Dismantle
nothing from No Line on the Horizon

3 songs from the era 1992-2014

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:12

I was at the show. Great first set. Second was good. Just like The Stones, I would like to see more special and rare songs. But, their new songs came across well.

The screen in the middle is very special.Great sound where I was at. Bono's voice was in top form. A very good start to their big tour. Hope they change up the set list a lot tonight. Bono said they would be two different shows when tickets went on sale, then back tracked on that statement. He did not want to let some feel they saw a lesser show- any excuse to be safe and lazy; sound familiar?

They are playing in Phoenix on the 23rd. Then, the Stones in San Diego on the 24th. Boy, is life good!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:52

Not a fan of the band, but they are certainly innovative in their stage design and sound system.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2015 03:49

dougie
I was at the show. Great first set. Second was good. Just like The Stones, I would like to see more special and rare songs. But, their new songs came across well.

The screen in the middle is very special.Great sound where I was at. Bono's voice was in top form. A very good start to their big tour. Hope they change up the set list a lot tonight. Bono said they would be two different shows when tickets went on sale, then back tracked on that statement. He did not want to let some feel they saw a lesser show- any excuse to be safe and lazy; sound familiar?

They are playing in Phoenix on the 23rd. Then, the Stones in San Diego on the 24th. Boy, is life good!

At least, unlike the Stones recently, they're playing not only songs from the new LP but some that are surprises. Like the Stones they are ignoring recent LPs but whatever. It's the first show and they said they'd keep it interesting. Time will determine that.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 16, 2015 05:22

Wow Wow Wow - that staging is incredible. Totally unique - I've never seen a screen like that in the middle of the arena - pure genius. And amazing setlist - very heavy on their new album and lots of deep cuts. I think people on this board just want to knock them for anything. Oh and 8 sold out nights and MSG. So depressing for me to say, but they took the worlds greatest band title from The Stones - and deservedly so. I hunger for the days when the Stones were like this....

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 16, 2015 06:36

It was a good show but being a casual fan, there were times when everyone sat down when they did not recognize the new songs. Unless you are a hardcore U2 fan, most people were there to hear the hits. For all the set whiners at Stones shows, I saw first hand at U2 why Mick does not change it up much.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: May 16, 2015 06:46

I want to go their show in LA after Stones SD. No ticket though...

Stoneage
I guess U2 will be the last surviving rock dinosaur. I can't see any younger rock and roll act waiting to take their place.

not very young but how about RHCP?

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 16, 2015 13:52

[www.dimeadozen.org]

U2
Rogers Arena
Vancouver, BC
May 14, 2015
JEMS Master

Nakamichi 700 mics > Olympus LS-7 (24/96 capture) > Wavelab (master and convert to 44.1) > FLAC

01 Intro
02 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
03 Out Of Control > Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (Ramones)
04 Vertigo > God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols)
05 I Will Follow
06 Mofo (snippet) > Iris (Hold Me Close)
07 Cedarwood Road
08 Song For Someone
09 Sunday Bloody Sunday
10 Raised By Wolves
11 Until The End Of The World

12 Invisible
13 Even Better Than The Real Thing
14 Mysterious Ways > Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) > Young Americans (David Bowie)
15 Desire > Not Fade Away (Buddy Holly) > Love Me Do (The Beatles)
16 Sweetest Thing
17 Every Breaking Wave
18 Bullet The Blue Sky
19 The Hands That Built America > Pride
20 The Troubles
21 With Or Without You

Encore
22 City Of Blinding Lights
23 Beautiful Day > I Remember You (Ramones)
24 Mother And Child Reunion (Paul Simon) > Where The Streets Have No Name > California (There Is No End To Love) > All You Need Is Love (The Beatles)
25 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For > Invisible

Total Time: 134:32

JEMS marked its 34th year recording U2 by heading north from our home base to opening night show in Vancouver. The month of rehearsals at Pacific Coliseum definitely paid off as the band was better prepared than has often been the case on opening nights (see Las Vegas 1997).

Speaking to Tapeboy by phone last night, he was struck by how the show began with one powerful rock song after another, which drove the energy of the show high from the start. He also said the distributed PA that rings the arena did make for very good sound leading to something rare at indoor shows these days: it was loud.

The new material, not surprisingly, sounds more compelling from the stage, which in and of itself is said to be a marvel, save for its lack of safety railings (if you haven't seen The Edge's Instagram this morning, he is OK, save for a big scrape on his arm).

Biggest surprise of the night was "Desire." Brother Ken was also there, and he pointed to that song, "Bullet the Blue Sky," "Invisible" and "Until The End of The World" as his highlights; the latter closed "the first set," though plans for a more formal intermission were apparently abandoned. In its place were five minutes or so of videos that bridge from "Until" to "Invisible."

There are sure to be other recordings and some of the real pros are up there too doing their magic, but for now, here's JEMS' capture.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 16, 2015 14:30

Nikkei
Why do U2 have "World Premiere" while the Stones have "Opening Night"?

Penis envy... what else??? cool smiley

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 15:07

Second show yesterday night.
For B.B. King :

Vancouver 05.15.2015 :

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
2. Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (snippet) / Vertigo
3. California (There Is No End To Love)
4. I will Follow
5. Iris (Hold Me close)
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Song For Someone
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Until The End Of The World
11. Invisible
12. Even Better Than The Real Thing
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Angel Of Harlem
15. When Love Comes To Town
16. Every Breaking Wave
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. The Hands That Built America (snippet)/Pride (In the Name Of Love)
19. Beautiful Day
20. With Or Without you

21. Miracle Drug
22. Bad
23. Mother And Child Reunion (snippet)/Where The streets Have No Name
24. One

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 16, 2015 18:02

Massimo68
Second show yesterday night.

That sounded boring, no U2 consert for me, rather AC-DC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 18:03 by mtaylor.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 18:49

Ballsy setlist.... Putting their real fans before the greatest hits and corporate merchants! Not something The Stones will ever do is it?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 16, 2015 18:59

I canĀ“t stand all their snippet bullshit.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 19:12

strat72
Ballsy setlist.... Putting their real fans before the greatest hits and corporate merchants! Not something The Stones will ever do is it?

love u2
great band -- great set
seen them many times

but praising u2 while knocking the stones is tiresome

and btw -- the stones 1999 no security tour was amazing and seemed directed at the hard core fans with a setlists that included route 66, moonlight mile, i got the blues, etc.

Posted by: Sir Oliver ()
Date: May 16, 2015 22:58

Great way using a video screen!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 23:03 by Sir Oliver.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 23:07

GS1978
strat72

love u2
great band -- great set
seen them many times

and btw -- the stones 1999 no security tour was amazing and seemed directed at the hard core fans with a setlists that included route 66, moonlight mile, i got the blues, etc.

Not knocking the Stones, just stating a fact. I love them far more than U2! Also, 1999 was a long time ago.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 16, 2015 23:43

I know some people don't care about this but it is very impressive that they still have all original members IMO

Date: May 17, 2015 03:49

strat72

The Stones used to! Year ago. U2's set list is similar in theme to ZOO TV - throwing the new songs out there to challenge their fans.

Date: May 17, 2015 03:54

GS1978
strat72

love u2
great band -- great set
seen them many times

It's reality. It's no big deal. U2 are playing for their record buying fans, the Stones are playing for people who don't buy records... who, of course, used to. They couldn't be more far apart.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 17, 2015 06:45

Yeah, a I agree, great setlist, amazing video innovation... Kinda wishing I tried harder for tickets. Looks like a fantastic show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2015 07:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 17, 2015 11:08

Although I'm more of a U2 tourist I must admit that they are still an active unit. As opposed to the Stones who, by now, is purely a nostalgia act.
And the U2 stage act is more innovative when it comes to stage design and setlists. Imagine the prospect of changing 7-8 songs between 2 gigs!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 17, 2015 12:49

Stoneage
Although I'm more of a U2 tourist I must admit that they are still an active unit. As opposed to the Stones who, by now, is purely a nostalgia act.
And the U2 stage act is more innovative when it comes to stage design and setlists. Imagine the prospect of changing 7-8 songs between 2 gigs!

Let's see how U2 are performing in some 15 years from now.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 17, 2015 13:00

mtaylor
Stoneage

Let's see how U2 are performing in some 15 years from now.

Yeah, Bono is about 55 so this tour would be the U2 equivalent to the Stones BTB tour then ...

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 17, 2015 15:45

strat72
GS1978
strat72

love u2
great band -- great set
seen them many times

Not knocking the Stones, just stating a fact. I love them far more than U2! Also, 1999 was a long time ago.

Glad we both like both bands and they're both on the road.
And yes 1999 was a long time ago. I probably wasn't clear, but that was my point. U2 is about at the same stage in their career as the Stones were in 1999. So I'd expect a great 2015 arena show from U2 with a more diverse setlist than the Stones stadium tour.
Hope you get to see both bands this summer

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 17, 2015 20:13

The second show set list had 6 songs changed. New, old and rarities. And, the second show was better than the first. Great job in the set list changes. Reminds me of the Stones set list changes during The 40 Licks tour. It is a great time in music when you can go see U2 and The Stones during the same week or month.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 18, 2015 05:37

If you are planning to see U2 this Summer be warned that the Ticketmaster map is very misleading for the stage set up. There is a long narrow stage with standing room on both sides as you will see on Ticketmaster but at one end, the end opposite the red zone, there is a traditional main stage. If you buy tickets at the end of the arena opposite the red zone, you are actually behind the main stage and they rarely came back there. Very hard to see much of anything and a huge disappointment. They do spend a lot of time at the B stage near the red zone so those are actually not bad seats.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 18, 2015 06:57

Going tomorrow night in San Jose. Looking forward to it. smoking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home