Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 16, 2017 09:53

No song in particular but the entire Through The Past Darkly compilation, start to finish, back in 1974/75 (so I missed the 1973 European Tour by about a year).

I also clearly remember how fascinated I was with Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! The Stones live! Whow!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 10:09

It was not a song, but a concert. I went to see them in 2003, knowing just a couple of hits, but thinking it would be good to see them once, since ...they were The Rolling Stones. It was really mainly because of the brand. It was my second big concert ever, I never thought that being a part of a huge crowd was something for me. They absolutely blew me away and I became not just a huge fan of theirs, but also of concerts in general. That was the day I started to dig The Stones and also to go to big concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 10:10 by Happy24.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 10:21

resotele
hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

What date in July Hopkins ???

my birthday too (born 1954)

resotele

Me ... July 16 1954!~

Rod

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 16, 2017 18:30

honky tonk woman, classic stones

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2017 18:39

In the space of understanding them, it was HOT ROCKS side 3 and 4, MORE HOT ROCKS with 2000 Light Years From Home. After that, what I thought was a new song that I could not tell the name of on the radio that really caught my attention - and I had no idea about what all they had done at that point - was Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo. So I got a ride to the music store and bought what I thought was the new album with that song - UNDERCOVER.

It had horns on it, yes, but not Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ah doooo.
But She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Fell On Baby and All The Way Down were awesome. Too Much Blood was hilarious.

Shattered. Heard that on the radio and thought it was beyond cool. That's how I got SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 18:45

It's only r'n'r' from Love you Live. I was 14-15 years old. It was a shock

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: May 16, 2017 19:01

Happy24
It was not a song, but a concert. I went to see them in 2003, knowing just a couple of hits, but thinking it would be good to see them once, since ...they were The Rolling Stones. It was really mainly because of the brand. It was my second big concert ever, I never thought that being a part of a huge crowd was something for me. They absolutely blew me away and I became not just a huge fan of theirs, but also of concerts in general. That was the day I started to dig The Stones and also to go to big concerts.

Similar to how it was for me but in 1999. I was already really getting into them after buying hot rocks but seeing live for the first time tipped me into major fandom/obsession, but it was during Ruby Tuesday (live) that I really suddenly "felt it".

First song that caught my attention before the show was Let's spend the night together. Still special hearing that (especially live).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 20:27

started in 1985, had heard the rolling stones existed and had heard of mick jagger, but cant remember if i knew they were connected. anyway live aid day and staying at my cousins, we were watching live aid and jagger and bowie came on and done dancing in the street, i didnt really like the song but my uncle told me that my aunt was really a fan of jagger, when she was younger.

about a year later, me and my cousin found some rolling stones records in his house. start me up, its only rock and roll and an old lp, cant remember which but it had she said yeah which i liked a bit.

At this time i had also heard that the stones were the greatest rock and roll band in the world. and i had thought they had quit in the 70,s.

a few months passed and i saw a tv programme called the rock and roll years which showed a promotional video of jj flash, visually the band looked superb and different to others.

eventually i was tempted to buy a stones tape and i settled on love you live on december 1987 when i was 19. i chose it cos it had songs i reckognised, jj flash, honky tonk woman and brown sugar.

didnt really dig it much in the early days as i assumed wrongly most stones tapes would sound similar, but it did grow on me, although it was 5 months before i bought rolled gold, my 2nd tape, i loved that straight away and around that time i saw an advert in the paper to buy all stones 12 albums for a discount, i thought they made that many albums, maybe i will get the collection one day, then i found out the 12 albums were the abcko/decca years, and that they had made many more since, but it came as a surprise to find out the most recent album was in 1986.

by this time i was a fan even though i thought they had quit so it was a real treat when they announced the steel wheels tour and album. 1989 was a great stones year for me, a tour and album as my first as a fan and also i bought the majority of my collection so i was discovering something new every week.

was really surprised by the richness and volumne of their repertoire but the song that turned me towards them will always be jumping jack flash.

30 years a rolling stone in december this year.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 22:43

Slave, Hey Negrita, Crazy Mama. Became one of you after sitting 3rd row in 2013.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 16, 2017 23:15

Mine is very strange ... Shattered on SNL, '78.

... however the strange part is that I spent many hours over the previous few years listing to radio and never heard a Stones song before. I can recall floods of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Who, Beatles, Supertramp, Styx, Foreigner, Journey, REO (vomit), even Hall/Oates. But NEVER once the Stones.

I've wondered about that for a long time, the only thing I can think of is that the DJs, of the main rock station I listened to, must have hated the Stones.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 16, 2017 23:49

I turned 11 that day in '62 in NYC...and within 10 hours of that (adjusted for time difference in UK) the Rollin' Stones stepped on the stage at The Marquee. Before I was 11 1/2 Charlie & Bill would be onboard. Two years later at 12 turning 13 I'd hear them on the radio and see 'em on TV. Clay Cole, Dean Martin etc...they did a ton of TV first trip over; Oldham did very well by them in the early going. Englands Newest Hitmakers. I'd seen a still of them in an expensive (for those days) special colored magazine in the wake of the mania and all things Liverpudlian...there were about a dozen or two bands, each one it's own page, and it was oversized, not glossy but printed pretty well...some of it might have been colorized, I don't remember which, and some were genuine color publicity fotos...there was the early Beatles shot when they were looking all half-shitkicker w the growing hair, not so moppy toppy...you couldn't believe Beatlemania in late '63...there songs would come on the radio and junior high school girls started screaming literally. I was pretty interested in that...kennedy was murdered in the open sunlight Thanksgiving time; i can't help but connect these issues, it was a cultural gestalt or something...there was a chaos and uncertainty....you had been through 3 days and nights of TV and increidble national mourning and shock...JFK represented youth as well as war hero; he had little kids, it was kind of a safe world or so it seemed to a kid. then Oswald gets shot on live TV...your parents don't even know what to say....yes it was the music, and yes we were already rockin' and a'rollin' for sure, the music in the early 60's was fantastic, just fantastic...but a lot of steam and pressure went up and off when I Want To Hold Your Hand hit the radio...All my Loving was about a teenage girl and it counted off fast and snapped into it...it was early in the going...and i do distinctly remember The Stones; they caught my eye particularly before I heard them. They were not smiling, and it didn't look like a pose, sort of a surburban gang or something...they were different from the rest somehow. little did I know. You heard the intro of TIOMS on the radio and you knew it was a hit. it might have been a soul music record; you weren't sure...but before even the vocals w excellent harmonies kicked in, you knew it was a hit. The middle 8 break made you lose your mind. It was so great.
"The Rolling Stones recorded two versions of this song in 1964. The first version (a looser arrangement featuring a briefer, organ-only intro) was released in the U.S. in 1964, as a single from their album 12 X 5. The second version (recorded November 8, 1964, more tightly arranged and featuring guitar in the intro) was released in the UK on January 15, 1965 on The Rolling Stones No. 2. This is the version that receives airplay and appears on most "best of" compilations. Both versions incorporate elements of Irma Thomas's recording, including spoken-word interjections in the chorus, a monologue in the middle of the song, and distinctive lead guitar.

The U.S. version was released on September 26, 1964 as a single (a month after Thomas' cover) and peaked at number six on the U.S. Billboard Pop Singles Chart to become the Rolling Stones' first top ten hit in the U.S. (their previous single, "It's All Over Now", had only peaked at number 26). When they performed "Time Is on My Side" during their first guest spot on The Ed Sullivan Show, Sullivan was shocked by their appearance and declared that they would never be invited onto the show again, but he subsequently invited them back several times.
DID YOU KNOW:
"Time Is on My Side" is a song written by Jerry Ragovoy (under the pseudonym of Norman Meade), who by-the-way, also wrote "Piece Of My Heart" and "Try" for Janis Joplin. But Ragovoy had thought of no lyrics for the song other than "time is on my side".
This song was originally recorded by the Jazz trombonist Kai Winding and his Orchestra on the Verve Records label in October 1963. His version was mostly instrumental with just the lyric "time is on my side" sung by the background trio of Cissy Houston, Dionne Warwick and Dee Dee Warwick.
This was one of two songs The Stones performed in 1964 on their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance. The other was "Around And Around." Sullivan was shocked by their looks and promised to never have them back. He ended up inviting them back several times."
the guitar intro version was the big hit I guess, (but not what I very first heard, and over and over.) that's the first one linked here...that organ brought you right into it, then you got slammed. perfect.
[www.youtube.com]
the uploader says it peaked at #6 in the states, I'm pretty sure it was a #1 hit.

The great Bert Berns co-wrote this song. I wouldn't hear Irma Thomas' version till later; it's pretty spectacular.
[www.youtube.com]
_____
the very original release, Kai Winding on lead trombone believe it or not, and he kills it!!
[www.youtube.com]
KAI WINDING - TIME IS ON MY SIDE- VERSION ORIGINAL-1963

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 04:04 by hopkins.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 17, 2017 00:36

the whole Love You Live on cassette in 1977

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:14

hopkins
I turned 11 that day in '62 in NYC...and within 10 hours of that (adjusted for time difference in UK) the Rollin' Stones stepped on the stage at The Marquee. Before I was 11 1/2 Charlie & Bill would be onboard. Two years later at 12 turning 13 I'd hear them on the radio and see 'em on TV. Clay Cole, Dean Martin etc...they did a ton of TV first trip over; Oldham did very well by them in the early going. Englands Newest Hitmakers. I'd seen a still of them in an expensive (for those days) special colored magazine in the wake of the mania and all things Liverpudlian...there were about a dozen or two bands, each one it's own page, and it was oversized, not glossy but printed pretty well...some of it might have been colorized, I don't remember which, and some were genuine color publicity fotos...there was the early Beatles shot when they were looking all half-shitkicker w the growing hair, not so moppy toppy...you couldn't believe Beatlemania in late '63...there songs would come on the radio and junior high school girls started screaming literally. I was pretty interested in that...kennedy was murdered in the open sunlight Thanksgiving time; i can't help but connect these issues, it was a cultural gestalt or something...there was a chaos and uncertainty....you had been through 3 days and nights of TV and increidble national mourning and shock...JFK represented youth as well as war hero; he had little kids, it was kind of a safe world or so it seemed to a kid. then Oswald gets shot on live TV...your parents don't even know what to say....yes it was the music, and yes we were already rockin' and a'rollin' for sure, the music in the early 60's was fantastic, just fantastic...but a lot of steam and pressure went up and off when I Want To Hold Your Hand hit the radio...All my Loving was about a teenage girl and it counted off fast and snapped into it...it was early in the going...and i do distinctly remember The Stones; they caught my eye particularly before I heard them. They were not smiling, and it didn't look like a pose, sort of a surburban gang or something...they were different from the rest somehow. little did I know. You heard the intro of TIOMS on the radio and you knew it was a hit. it might have been a soul music record; you weren't sure...but before even the vocals w excellent harmonies kicked in, you knew it was a hit. The middle 8 break made you lose your mind. It was so great.

After my introduction (via The Last Time) each new song became my favorite as I heard it for the first time.. There was something particular about Time Is On My Side however, I agree.. I feel fortunate I got to hear it live during my first concert of theirs in '81.. At that time I thought it was my first concert, and their last! Little did I know how long they would continue

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: May 17, 2017 17:19

Get off my cloud

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 17, 2017 17:39

Hot Rocks in it's entirety....drinking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 17, 2017 18:26

It was either Heart of Stone or 200 Lights Years From Home...or both (1967 I heard them for the first time)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 18:44 by NICOS.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 17, 2017 18:29

Probably 1978, driving around town with a bunch of guys, listening to Hot Rocks -- specifically I remember Wild Horses and Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 17, 2017 19:34

Sympathy. My dad recorded the Atlantic City 1989 concert and this version is one of the best of the Vegas era. Still love to play it loud. Keiths solo is truly amazing.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 17, 2017 23:40

Among others, foremost would be Ya Yas version of SFTD!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 17, 2017 23:47

Honky Tonk Women on Top Of The Pops in 1969. It was the first song I'd ever heard by them so it was love at first sight.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 18, 2017 00:05

Hot Rocks but mostly Honky Tonk Woman on LYL of course

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2017 09:12

An idea for a new thread, or maybe just a continuum of this one:

Song that turned you off to the Stones

I'll go first, and say it was Emotional Rescue.
Being in High School in 1980 when the ER album was released, it was exciting to know a new Stones album would be coming out.
But with the first single being Emotional Rescue, it was somewhat of a shock - in a bad way. Thankfully the rest of the album - or at least some of it, was a lot better.
But that first single left a sour taste that was difficult to swallow. I know some people like to compare it to Miss You's disco vibe in a positive way, but there's really nothing similar about them.
From the plodding bass line, to the bad falsetto, it just wasn't happening and was a really a lowpoint. Thankfully the follow up Tattoo You and the following tour erased all memories of it, but then they had the balls to resurrect it and play it live a few years ago. Have to say it was just as bad and maybe even worse than the studio version - though Darryl added some spice to the bass line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 09:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 18, 2017 09:35

I heard "Walking the dog" and "Under my thumb" in radio (mid 70s) and I was hooked forever.

Date: May 18, 2017 11:51

hopkins
"The Rolling Stones recorded two versions of this song in 1964. The first version (a looser arrangement featuring a briefer, organ-only intro) was released in the U.S. in 1964, as a single from their album 12 X 5. The second version (recorded November 8, 1964, more tightly arranged and featuring guitar in the intro) was released in the UK on January 15, 1965 on The Rolling Stones No. 2. This is the version that receives airplay and appears on most "best of" compilations. Both versions incorporate elements of Irma Thomas's recording, including spoken-word interjections in the chorus, a monologue in the middle of the song, and distinctive lead guitar.

The U.S. version was released on September 26, 1964 as a single (a month after Thomas' cover) and peaked at number six on the U.S. Billboard Pop Singles Chart to become the Rolling Stones' first top ten hit in the U.S. (their previous single, "It's All Over Now", had only peaked at number 26). When they performed "Time Is on My Side" during their first guest spot on The Ed Sullivan Show, Sullivan was shocked by their appearance and declared that they would never be invited onto the show again, but he subsequently invited them back several times.
DID YOU KNOW:
"Time Is on My Side" is a song written by Jerry Ragovoy (under the pseudonym of Norman Meade), who by-the-way, also wrote "Piece Of My Heart" and "Try" for Janis Joplin. But Ragovoy had thought of no lyrics for the song other than "time is on my side".
This song was originally recorded by the Jazz trombonist Kai Winding and his Orchestra on the Verve Records label in October 1963. His version was mostly instrumental with just the lyric "time is on my side" sung by the background trio of Cissy Houston, Dionne Warwick and Dee Dee Warwick.
This was one of two songs The Stones performed in 1964 on their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance. The other was "Around And Around." Sullivan was shocked by their looks and promised to never have them back. He ended up inviting them back several times."
the guitar intro version was the big hit I guess, (but not what I very first heard, and over and over.) that's the first one linked here...that organ brought you right into it, then you got slammed. perfect.
[www.youtube.com]
the uploader says it peaked at #6 in the states, I'm pretty sure it was a #1 hit.

The great Bert Berns co-wrote this song. I wouldn't hear Irma Thomas' version till later; it's pretty spectacular.
[www.youtube.com]
_____
the very original release, Kai Winding on lead trombone believe it or not, and he kills it!!
[www.youtube.com]
KAI WINDING - TIME IS ON MY SIDE- VERSION ORIGINAL-1963

I often forget just what an awesome track "Time is on my side" is. I really love the version Keith did with the Winos too. I thought he brought a lot of the drama out, with the pause before the big "You'll come running back" part.
On the ohter hand, no one did the rap part "go ahead and light up the town" part better than Jagger.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 18, 2017 12:30

I remember their singles from about Not Fade Away onwards but the first album i was aware of was Through The Past Darkly. That turned me onto album cuts I'd never heard before and revealed a darker side to their poppier image and an antithesis to The Beatles.

Here's a few great and seldom seen outtakes of the album cover.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:35

Brown Sugar......It was all over the radio in 1971, tortured my older brother to buy me the single, which he eventually did, and I still have it.

In the meantime someone gave me a copy of the Decca album Gimme Shelter....... I was hooked!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:46

My dad had some 45s from the 60s (Lady Jane, SFM, etc...) that I quite like but what got me hooked was the "Under My Thumb" intro from "Still Life". That was really a "revelation" when I first heard it at the record store ! Never looked back ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 18, 2017 17:13

schwonek
Hot Rocks but mostly Honky Tonk Woman on LYL of course

LYL-HTW was really important to me, got hooked to Keiths guitar on that

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 18:58

Growing up in 1962/63 at High School all you heard about was how fab the Beatles were and no one else existed.
I never really followed the crowd and liked to make up my own mind and the Beatles singing about She Loves Me and I Want to Hold your hand did not click with myself.
First heard Come On and thought it was commercial sugar and I Wanna be Your Man had a bit of a kick to it but nothing special -
NOT FADE AWAY converted me to start to become a Stones fan but although i bought their first album the songs were covers of Rhythm & Blues tunes which were not really commercial.
This did not stop people buying their 1st album in the UK as it was at No1 for 12 weeks.
Things started to change big time with Its All Over Now,Little Red Rooster and the Last Time which made all the kids get up onto the dance floor including myself.
Then came the big three singles that made their mark for the Stones worldwide especially in the USA.
i.e.Satisafction,Get off of my Cloud and Paint it Black.
By end 1965 the Stones had a lot of additional fans and the single Paint it Black in 1966 added fuel to the fire.
February 1967 brought the release of Lets Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday which were both tremendous songs.
At this point they released Between the Buttons and their Satanic Majesties requests LPs which were really poor and lost a lot of their fan base.
O.K. psychedelic 1967 with drug taking/busts and the Stones court cases may well have reflected the mood of their songs.
At this point it looked as if the Stones were finished but the release of the single Jumpin Jack Flash in 1968 proved to be a resurrection.
This is where they started to really come into their own as songwriters with Beggars Banquet,Let it Bleed,Stick Fingers and EOMS.
B sides of their singles in the UK were always a bonus such as Play with Fire,Spider & the Fly,As Tears go Bye and YCALGWYW.
Have to admit that I have been hooked on the 'Stones ' for the last 50 years having bought every LP & studio CD that they have released.
I have been to the skinny English cats concerts in every decade and have been so fortunate to have included these guys as part of my life and well worth the money for the enjoyment and entertainment that I have enjoyed.
My better half cannot understand my fascination with the 'Stones' and when I told her in 2007 that I was spending a week in London to attend 3 concerts in London she threated to divorce me if I went. ( luckily for me she relented and I did not have to choose between them )
I have now retired but if the Stones decide to play a final concert in London in the near future then I could well be tempted to rob a bank and buy tickets.
Which i have now done for Paris 25/10/17 ( 2 tickets = £1336.54 )

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:02

What a great thread!

I discovered them being 11-12 seing the Harlem Shuffle video. And then heard Mixed emotions being 15 in 89 and got the album. And never looked back since.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home