Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 13, 2017 13:18

The last time, Hitch Hike, underass.westc.promo, Im alright and Now I got a Witness, Can i get a witness, walking the dog, King bee, Mona. Also the Paint it black Long long while single. Later it was Let it bleed (Title song, Rambler and Ycagwyw) and LYL album. Four albums and one single. Also the Rnr circus on TV rerun in the 80s.

Posted by: matatu ()
Date: May 13, 2017 14:25

We Love You (when I was 11)

The first single I owned was Street Fighting Man/No Expectations.
The first lp I taped were Through The Past Darkly and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.
The first lp I owned was Around And Around.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 13, 2017 15:59

Oh yeah forgot about High Tide and Through The Past Darkly - none of them owned by me. I never really listened to them but loved the albumcovers.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:02

Mine was JJF.....I was born late 1958.
Still love that song, especially the version that opened the No Security arena tour, and the studio version of course.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:17

Side four...Rolled Gold...and She´s so cold...1980...And when I heard the Start me up single...in a car...1981...I decided to buy my first album: Tattoo you!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:33

Beggars Banquet was my first stones album in '87 and Stray Cat Blus the track. Couldn't get enough after that.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:33

Jumping jack flash!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:36

"It's All Over Now," when I was nine years old, in 1964, riding around Martinsville, Virginia with my dad.

Within days I saw the Stones on TV (may have been the Red Skelton show?), when they performed "Tell Me."

Went over to one of the local record shops and bought both singles, told all my friends, "keep and eye on these guys, they're going to be a BIG deal really soon," and I'm sure they thought I was crazy.

Later, when "Satisfaction" came out and became a major hit, I just smiled.

cool smiley

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: May 13, 2017 17:42

Snoopy
First off, I can't help but want to quote all of you and agree "yep, yes, you're sure right about that, oh yeah helluva tune," but I'll just quote resotele for now: "so : one song ? No. but the riffs, the energy, the SEX..."

How about the first time any of you heard Stray Cat Blues? When the piano comes in, and the guitar really gets nasty for a moment, and you're a teen boy? I would spin that over and over smiling smiley

Yeah, sex was the overriding emotion listening to this at 17

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 13, 2017 19:38

hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

What date in July Hopkins ???

my birthday too (born 1954)

resotele

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2017 19:49

resotele
hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

resotele

July 17, 1963.

Interesting trivial factoid for this date:

The number-one hit song in the U.S. on the day of my birth was Surf City by Jan and Dean.

It all makes sense...I love Surf Music! cool smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 13, 2017 19:55

I have posted this before but again....

The summer of 1965 hearing Satisfaction coming out of every radio and every and I mean tinny AM car radio being played in constant rotation on WABC in NYC by Cousin Brucie and the rest of the crew. This tune really got to me! Arguing with a friend, I told him that was saxophone. Only later did I know it was Brian on fuzztone. Thanks Brian! (Internet says it was Keith)

wikipedia
Released
6 June 1965 (US)
20 August 1965 (UK)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 13, 2017 20:49

Mona from their first album (UK). I was 16 or 17 at that time.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 13, 2017 22:51

No song in particular but the entire Rolled-Gold-compilation, start to finish.

Posted by: boituvense ()
Date: May 13, 2017 22:54

START ME UP - 1981.......GOING TO A GO-GO - 1982..!!!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 13, 2017 23:00

Moonshine
Beggars Banquet was my first stones album in '87 and Stray Cat Blus the track. Couldn't get enough after that.

See above

Date: May 13, 2017 23:01

GYYY's , Taylor's lead guitar when I was 11, 1971.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 13, 2017 23:03

Hairball
resotele
hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

resotele

July 17, 1963.

The number-one hit song in the U.S. on the day of my birth was Surf City by Jan and Dean.

and the 12th july is very important in stonesworld, as we all know : [www.setlist.fm]

(and the year of my birth brought the world the stratocaster and rock around the clock ...)

I think I'm getting old

resotele

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 13, 2017 23:28

resotele
Hairball
resotele
hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

resotele

July 17, 1963.

and the 12th july is very important in stonesworld, as we all know : [www.setlist.fm]

(and the year of my birth brought the world the stratocaster and rock around the clock ...)

I think I'm getting old

resotele

I can relate.

My birthday was in March of 1955, and the number one song that day was "The Ballad of Davy Crockett," by Bill Hayes.

Date: May 13, 2017 23:29

Every human has a "critical period" for language development, a time in their lives when they can easily assimilate a new tongue. And just as there's a critical period for learning a language, so too is there a critical period for learning your musical tastes: It starts at 14 and peaks at 24.
"Fourteen is a sort of magic age for the development of musical tastes," Daniel J. Levitin, a professor of psychology and the director of the Laboratory for Music Perception, Cognition and Expertise at McGill University, told the New York Times. "Pubertal growth hormones make everything we're experiencing, including music, seem very important. We're just reaching a point in our cognitive development when we're developing our own tastes. And musical tastes become a badge of identity."

I was 13 almost 14 when Some Girls was released. The entire album was such a big influence from start to finish. My first concert at Warner Theatre was in 78. A small gig.
Since then they have just mushroomed into the band I know and love. Over 100 shows and an entire catalogue of Albums, CD's, and DVD's.

So, what album was closest to your age of 14?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: May 14, 2017 00:16

I am a newcomer into the world of Stones. I only discovered them as late as 1983. Hey were already 21 years into the career. Before that I was into a bit of rockabilly like Matchbox and Cavan and before that the UK Glamrock like Slade, Mud, Uriah Heep and a bit heavier stuff like Deep Purple and Sabbath. Bought Vol4 as brand new, not CD but vinyl for you youngsters.

I had a crush on a girl in the same class and managed to get into her bed studying for an upcoming exam, yes only studying… and she had just purchased the K-Tel double The Story Of The Stones LP. Jumpin Jack Flash just blew my mind. I had heard the name Rolling Stones before, but at that point of time being very much into Chuck Berry, I had never paid attention.

That night in bed studying for the exam….. yes you dirty minds… I discovered the greatest band of all times. JJF did such an impact on my that night, that still lasts to this day. That girl really messed up my mind for ever with her LP.
Still today after 26 times live, JJF has something special that trigger the emotions in me. You make a young (hah today old) man cry as they sing in another song….. and I cry. Such a great song with lots of emotions

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: May 14, 2017 00:50

Bought the double album of hits called Rolled Gold. Changed my life smiling smiley

That tuned me onto buying Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue and Some Girls.
Then i went back in time with Exile, Sticky Fingers and Its Only Rock And Roll.
These albums changed my life even further.
First album i bought just as it was released was Undercover, Very disappointing at first but then i got into it. No other band comes close, every album they ever made has gems on it and they are the only band that don't release their best tracks when they finish an album. Like Gimme Shelter, Rambler and SFTD were not released as singles. This probably means they Mick and Keith are too close to their music to judge how good it is, or the record executives are very short sighted. Songs like Time Waits For No One, CYHMK and Sway should have been released as singles, its unbelievable that they clearly have no idea how good they really are at the time, only years later do the fans decide to show them just what incredible music they have made.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 14, 2017 06:09

resotele
hopkins
Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

resotele

'!! '51 for me. Our birthday is also the birthday of The Rollin Stones first public performance! Ahh, cruel fate. smiling smiley Happy pre-Birthday and Happy Everything to you Rockman.And resotele (a resonator telecaster!?)!
We are soul survivors & burfday soul brothers. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 23:42 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 14, 2017 06:37

"Emotional Rescue" 45 when I was 9 years old. Saw the video on "Solid Gold" and thought they were like nothing else. Quickly replaced Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" and Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing" as my favorite (and only) singles.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 14, 2017 07:15

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 14, 2017 22:39

Time Is On My Side.

At that point, in 1981 months before MTV launched, to see bands on TV, apart from the Friday and Saturday night music shows, there would be TV specials, and so the most frequent footage of the Stones would be their debut on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Then later in the year was the Start Me Up promo video, which was a great way to get an introduction of the individual personalities in the band.

Ahead of the 1981 tour the network news programs were announcing that the Stones would be touring America, and footage they would use would be from the promo clip for Emotional Rescue, which you would also see in Casey Kasem's weekly TV program on the U.S. top ten singles charts.

But when you were turning 15 in 1981, 1980 seemed like such a long time ago. So, the Start Me Up promo was the one that stayed with you.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 15, 2017 17:28

I was about 10 and my older brother had the single "2000 Light Years From Home" b/w "She's A Rainbow". I "borrowed" it quite often and wore it out. Loved both songs! Really got hooked around 1971 when I acquired an 8-track of Let It Bleed, and eventually Sticky Fingers. The first Vinyl album I bought was TSMR around that same time. I loved it as a youngster, but got tired of it faster than the others, which I have still not gotten tired of!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 15, 2017 23:56

I got "The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones" as a gift.

I think the song, which I liked at most was "Let's Spend The Night Together".

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 16, 2017 04:04

keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
Rocks off - the first cut on the first album I bought when I was 7 years old in 1972. Imagine my moms shock when I ran around the house singing THAT!

The question is, did you turn her on to the Stones? - she must have been the same age or thereabouts as the band anyway..........

Actually, she turned me onto Elvis Presley who in turn, like the Stones, opened up a whole world of blues , country & R&B by their choice of cover tunes.

Ok, cheers, that's good mothering to be sure but lol, I'm still intrigued, how does a 7 year old end up with his hands on / buying Exile?

I joined the Columbia house record club. They would send you records for cheap if you sent in the post card that accompanied their ad in various magazines. They would continue to send the records until you managed to stop them. The first 10 or so were practically give aways but the price went way up after that. Many 7 year olds got caught in the Columbia house trap I suspect. I selected Exile having no idea who the stones were.

I know, we had a similar thing in the UK in the 70s, my mother freaked when the bill came......(mine were Hawkwind, Alice Cooper etc, at that time....

Serendipity at it's finest, ex.............

I remember so well my mother picking me up from school with my albums ,that had arrived that day, in the car. She was remarkably calm & good natured about it once she saw my excitement. I remember an Eric Clapton album too.

..and those forms we filled out where you wrote what you wanted in LARGE print and then X the box for the type of subscription. Columbia House, Fruitridge Ave., Terre Haute, Indiana.

All Sold Out, I knew these guys would go to the top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 04:13 by shattered.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 16, 2017 09:11

Satisfaction, JJF, HTW, SFTD

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home