Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:26

pepganzo
Flash

Jumping Jack...... or ...... Point

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:34

...back in 1964, took a sick day from school, was in my room all day listening to KRLA. It's All Over Now came on the radio and the rest is history cool smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:03

heard and saw the promotional video of jumpin jack flash on a programme called the rock and roll years early in 1987. always liked this series as it showed the news and music from each year seperately and when jjflash came on there was something about the stones visually that i really liked and felt they were so different from anyone else.

eventually after seeing the last time, paint it black and brown sugar i decided to find out if the stones really were the worlds greatest rock band. so i bought love you live in december 1987, then rolled gold 5 months later and i was hooked on the rolling stones.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:13

NICOS
pepganzo
Flash

Jumping Jack...... or ...... Point
The song

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:30

Miss you.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:06

Mixed Emotions, my father used to listen Dirty Work and Steel Wheels on cassette every morning!

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:23

Harlem Shuffle on MTV! I was in 8th grade and loved almost anything on MTV at the time. Bought DW on cassette and liked it (at the time). Still love One Hit - one of my all time favorite Stones songs.
That summer I spent the day at Hershey Park, waiting on line all day for the roller coasters and such. Rewind CD was on constant repeat over the PA all day, so I heard it a dozen+ times. Bought it the next day!
A couple years later, I taped Sticky Fingers off a local FM station that played "classic albums uninterrupted at midnight". Loved it! The rest is history....

Posted by: JuicedinNJ ()
Date: May 14, 2015 20:32

Tell Me. I saw them lip synch it on the Clay Cole Show which was a syndicated local show in the NY area in the 60's. Nobody looked or sounded like that before. (or since!) I wish I had a time machine so I could send them some modern recording equipment.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:04

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 08:56 by Snoopy.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:06

HomerSimpson
Harlem Shuffle on MTV! I was in 8th grade and loved almost anything on MTV at the time. Bought DW on cassette and liked it (at the time). Still love One Hit - one of my all time favorite Stones songs.
That summer I spent the day at Hershey Park, waiting on line all day for the roller coasters and such. Rewind CD was on constant repeat over the PA all day, so I heard it a dozen+ times. Bought it the next day!
A couple years later, I taped Sticky Fingers off a local FM station that played "classic albums uninterrupted at midnight". Loved it! The rest is history....
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up For me it was HTW and shortly after that Hot Rocks. Still HTW is my first glimpse of The Stones I was 11 they were risque.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:08

19th Nervous Breakdown

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:15

the 1st stones I remember ever hearing, was honky tonk woman it might not be the best song they ever did,but it means a lot to me,the opening cow bell and all cant be beat

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:23

runaway
I was thrilled by Tell Me and Walking The Dog from the album "The Rolling Stones" listening at a friends place and "It's All Over Now" blasting out of a jukebox in 1964, it's either one of those, some time ago.

When I was 15 or 16 years old I was already a Stones fan, but what I mostly heard were their 70's an 80's songs that I had on 4 cassettes that a friend has sold to me, because records were expensive and hard to find, especially their 60's records.

I used to listen to radio a lot those days, and one night (late at night, actually) I tuned into an AM Argentinian radio station that used to play all of their 60's stuff, which were new to me at that time. I remember when I listened Walking the Dog, which was then a new song for me, and that opened a whole new Stones world for me. It took me a lot of time for me to discover the name of that song (in Argentina and some other countries the DJ announced the title tracks on their own tongue), and this happened only when I finally could buy their first record, months later, which is still my all-time favorite Stones record. smiling smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:26

Cristiano Radtke
runaway
I was thrilled by Tell Me and Walking The Dog from the album "The Rolling Stones" listening at a friends place and "It's All Over Now" blasting out of a jukebox in 1964, it's either one of those, some time ago.

When I was 15 or 16 years old I was already a Stones fan, but what I mostly heard were their 70's an 80's songs that I had on 4 cassettes that a friend has sold to me, because records were expensive and hard to find, especially their 60's records.

I used to listen to radio a lot those days, and one night (late at night, actually) I tuned into an AM Argentinian radio station that used to play all of their 60's stuff, which were new to me at that time. I remember when I listened Walking the Dog, which was then a new song for me, and that opened a whole new Stones world for me. It took me a lot of time for me to discover the name of that song (in Argentina and some other countries the DJ announced the title tracks on their own tongue), and this happened only when I finally could buy their first record, months later, which is still my all-time favorite Stones record. smiling smiley

Thanks "Cristiano Radtke" for your story and yes I was a huge fan as well of Radio Luxembourg and Pirate Radio Stations in the sixties, listening some great rock 'n roll through a tiny radio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 23:17 by runaway.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:27

The Last Time. Or Satisfaction.

My older sister used to SHAKE to satisfaction, I didn't really get it, but was infected. With my younger sister we tried to mimick The Last Time. It's hard beeing 7 and 12 trying to sing the riff and the lead vocal line ... that was in the sixties.

But what really did it for me was being 19, in 1973, and having earned some summer money, and buying ALL teir records at once;befor it was some songs (a friend and me spinned honky tonk women, the single, for HOURS on a repeating turntable...). But having it all, from the first LP (route 66, what a start...) to StarStar (that really meant something, beeing 19...)... just WOW ! And then the first concert, 1973, in my hometown...

so : one song ? No. but the riffs, the energy, the SEX...

resotele

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:27

remember it like it was yesterday ... shattered on SNL

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:55

Angie. Probably on an AM radio. I was probably 6 yrs old or so and was drawn to the song because we had a maid with the same name. Had no idea who the Rolling Stones were until 6 years later rifling through my sisters album collection I was drawn to the Thru the Past Darkly record cover and Brian's porcine looking mug. Put the record on, heard JJF and made the connection. Sometime around then Satisfaction drifted into my view but still not cut deeply... strangely the tunes and tone of both JJF and Satisfaction sounded a bit dated to me, Clapton, Zep and Hendrix had already taken their toll.

Amazingly, still wasn't hooked until I bought GHS at 13 yrs old rediscovered Angie and Heartbreaker and not totally fanatical till I bought Sticky Fingers in Jr. High School. The song I couldn't get enough of was I Got The Blues, one of the first tunes I picked out note-for-note on guitar. Then about a year later good weed and Gimme Shelter, I'm a goner now.

peace

Date: May 15, 2015 00:41

First off, I can't help but want to quote all of you and agree "yep, yes, you're sure right about that, oh yeah helluva tune," but I'll just quote resotele for now: "so : one song ? No. but the riffs, the energy, the SEX..."

How about the first time any of you heard Stray Cat Blues? When the piano comes in, and the guitar really gets nasty for a moment, and you're a teen boy? I would spin that over and over smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 23:00 by Snoopy.

Date: May 13, 2017 08:46

runaway

I remember being fascinated trying to figure out who sang on what songs in the early days, Brian on "Walking The Dog" is always fun for me to hear

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: May 13, 2017 08:52

Jumpin' Jack Flash

It's the one live warhorse I CAN'T go without.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: May 13, 2017 09:21

onlystones
Brown Sugar. I was allowed to listen to my uncles record collection in his room at my grandmother's house. I was probably 6-10 years old at the time. He had Sticky Fingers with the zipper. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.
same for me. i was living in villefranche in 82 and the stones were playing in nice and the local radio was blasting out various stones numbers. anyhow BS stuck to me. a friend of mine got tickets to the gig and i became a fan. heres the kicker though. i thought for a long time the song was about heroin. that stuff was quite prefelent around the south of france in those days. it wasnt untill some one explained to me the real meaning of "how come you taste so good" Dohhhh.
oh to young and dumb again, now just old and dumb..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 13, 2017 10:15

Mixed Emotions...i was 12 years old!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 10:16 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 13, 2017 10:21

GDR near Dresden, early 1989. My father had the second side of Beggar’s Banquet on tape (the other side was Electric Light Orchestra!). That was enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 10:22 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2017 11:08

Can't really pin down one song as it was an evolution throughout my youth.

Satisfaction when I was 4 - my aunt used to play it all the time and we'd sing along to it.
Then in the summer of '74 when I was 11, It's Only Rock'N'Roll was on the radio ALL the time.
Then in '75 bought my first Stones album - Made in the Shade - loved it all from start to finish and still have it!
But it wasn't until Some Girls came out when I was 15 that I became a 'fanatic' eventually buying everything that came before.
Throughout all those years, I was familiar with many of their other big hits from the radio, but it was a steady process to become fully 'turned on'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 11:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 13, 2017 11:28

Mixed Emotions that was played a lot on MTV in 1989-90.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2017 11:34

Time Is On My Side. on the radio and the first time I saw them was '64, their first trip over; not in person but on the Clay Cole TV show where they lip synched it.
I was 12 when they landed here on their first trip over in June, I turned 13 in July. Believe it or not, and those of u w kids will probably believe it, I had already been a rock and roll fan since '56 or so...it's among my first memories to watch American Bandstand every week day. The advent of inexpensive transistor radios from Japan had started somewhere around then and the radio was always on; i had the power i could control it; and not just wait for when the kids were loaded up into my father's '56 chevy with the car radio...the big kids were groovin to the fifties rock and all decked out in that fashion, I had a bigger brother and you could see it everywhere in the projects all the time. All those kids were all about the music, and we missed nothing...i remember looking at the window and watching the girls comb their boyfriends greasy hair on the benches in the projects...which were actually very decent and cool in Brooklyn....i've clear memories of Bobby Vee and Roy Orbison, and then Elvis on the radio...i wasn't sure what it was all about but it was as natural occurence as a tree or riding your bike; it was everywhere....it was in the air and the bigger kids were totally about the music...
....somewhere along about '61 when West Side Story Movie came out, and Dion split from The Belmonts, I was already buying '45s, West Side Story and the Runaround Sue LP were my first long player purchases; I was around 9 or 10...I had been listening to rock and roll and pop music for nigh on 8 years or so before The Stones hit, tho I was not yet, or just about to be, 13. I still have that Dion album and he's still making them. I can't find the Clay Cole clip anywhere, but they were very matter of fact, very non show bizzy and it was apparent to even a kid; there was something fascinating about them.
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

[www.pophistorydig.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2017 11:44

, I turned 13 in July.

What date in July Hopkins ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 13, 2017 12:39

Start me up!
The guitar riff hooked me since!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 13, 2017 12:44

Start Me Up .... I will never stop...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2017 13:15

Rockman
, I turned 13 in July.

What date in July Hopkins ???

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home