Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Song that turned you on to the Stones
Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 13, 2015 01:41

(I did a cursory search, couldn't find a thread like this, though I am POSITIVE there must be one)

Since I am very new to this site, here is chance for me to get to know y'all better:

What was the song that turned you onto the Stones?

Mine was The Last Time. I was 12 yrs old, picked up copy of High Tide & Green Grass at garage sale, as soon as I heard the opening guitar to that song I was hooked for life. I mean, hooked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 02:29 by Snoopy.

Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Date: May 13, 2015 02:02

ROCKS OFF!

I'm 20 years old and have been loving the Stones more and more each year of my life. I would say that the first song that really got me to start listening to them more consistently was "Rocks Off."

I had always known songs like "Satisfaction", and "Under My Thumb", but when I was around 15 and 16 I was listening to other bands more. But around my junior year of high school I watched the Exile on Main Street Documentary, and immediately, could not get enough of them or that album. I specifically remember hearing "Rocks Off" and falling in love. I now am a huge fan of Sticky Fingers ( I have the original on vinyl, zipper in-tact!), Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet, etc. I cannot stop listening. I never really get tired of the Rolling Stones unlike other bands. My boyfriend and I have tickets to their show at OSU and I am ecstatic!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:09

deleted

Posted by: benroyblenkle ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:09

UNDER MY THUMB when I was 9 years old in 1968 my sister used to play it real loud on the stereo in our living room when mom and dad were not home

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:11

Satisfaction --- me and my friends thought the lead line was a saxaphone

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:12

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 18:33 by yeababyyea.

Date: May 13, 2015 02:29

woops didn't mean to post that twice...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 02:36 by brokecollegestudent.

Date: May 13, 2015 02:33

Also, welcome to IORR, pleased to meet you!

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:33

Wow, it's nice to know there are so many young fans on here like myself!

Personally, I think the first Stones song I ever heard was "Wild Horses" when I was in middle school, as a friend of mine really liked it. I also knew "Paint it Black" because it was one of the songs on my cousin's Guitar Hero game.

In highschool I bought Jump Back! but I didn't really start getting into the older stuff until the summer after my last year of highschool, when I went to see 20 Feet From Stardom in the cinema and then listened to Gimme Shelter for about a day and a half straight. So I would say that Gimme Shelter was probably the song that really made me a full-blown fan.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 13, 2015 02:49

alieb
Wow, it's nice to know there are so many young fans on here like myself!

Personally, I think the first Stones song I ever heard was "Wild Horses" when I was in middle school, as a friend of mine really liked it. I also knew "Paint it Black" because it was one of the songs on my cousin's Guitar Hero game.

In highschool I bought Jump Back! but I didn't really start getting into the older stuff until the summer after my last year of highschool, when I went to see 20 Feet From Stardom in the cinema and then listened to Gimme Shelter for about a day and a half straight. So I would say that Gimme Shelter was probably the song that really made me a full-blown fan.

Very cool to see so many young fans! And to hear that you're going back and digging through the older stuff.

Posted by: Pietro ()

"Silver Train," believe it or not. I heard it in 1973 while riding the schoolbus as a 15 year old. The driver would let us listen to Top 40 radio. I dug the song -- the Chuck Berry riffs, the harominica, the Mick Taylor solo. I went out and bought Goat's Head Soup. Within four months, I owned every Stones album made to that time.

Posted by: MingSubu ()

Gimme Shelter or Sympathy.

My dad had Hot Rocks and we used to travel a lot. Id always ask for the Shelter or devil song when I was little.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 13, 2015 03:02

Honky Tonk Woman on LYL

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 13, 2015 03:03

Freebird.

peace

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 13, 2015 03:58

19th Nervous Breakdown on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:10

You Got Me Rocking.

Heard it on the radio before the VL release. I was familiar with the Hot Rocks material but was excited to find out they were still doing new stuff.

No, I am not kidding.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:12

Under My Thumb Live blew me away!
Got live if you want it.

I also LOVED the studio version . GREAT TRACK for a teenage boy. Haha.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:19

It has been so long ago, but I remember being crazy about Get Your Ya-Ya's Out, probably Jump'in Jack Flash. Just bought the remmastered cd, love it! December's Children before that, As Tears Go By. Been a fan since the early 60s.

Posted by: boituvense ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:20

Start me Up, after come, Going to a go-go!!!!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:23

I know its obvious but Satisfaction the riff hooked me as soon as I heard it then it went from there

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:24

Satisfaction.

Heard it on the radio in my mother's car in 1965 when I was 8 years old.Still one of my favorites.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:26

When I was a child, the Beatles and Supremes were what I heard on the radio and then a few years later Ruby Tuesday really stuck in my head. It seemed "Beatlesque" but of course it really wasn't. Beatles hadn't really done something like that... of course appreciated Satisfaction and JJF, but when Miss You and Some Girls came out it sealed the deal and I went back and bought all their albums one by one... So, I guess it was Ruby Tuesday..and then, Miss You...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:30

I was big into the Partridge Family in the early seventies and my older brother just got THOugh the past darkly. I heard the opening sound of street fighting man and I saw the light. It was was just so damn violent next to I THINK I LOVE YOU.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:38

Saw them do Time Is On My Side on TV in 1964, Hullabaloo or Shindig or one of those shows. Fast forward to 1972, Dick Cavett Show had a clip of them playing Brown Sugar live. That was it for me. I dropped everything else. I don't just mean other music, I mean everything else. OK, I was 14.

Posted by: snarky ()
Date: May 13, 2015 06:24

i was 12 years old when i saw the promo videos for some girls at a wherehouse records. i was totally blown away. up until then my favorite band was kiss lol

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 13, 2015 06:37

I think it must have been 1973 or 74 when I saw the Goats Head promo clips on
Don Kirchner's Rock Concert television program - Dancing with mr D, Silver Train
and Angie. Not sure if the "It's only Rock and Roll" clips were on then - so I assume it was 73. I was hooked. Hard to belive it was 42 years ago!

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 07:55

JJF

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 07:55

The Last Time was the first time. Last Time that got me hooked on the Stones when I was a junior in high school in 1965... half a century ago. Their next single was Satisfaction, and in the fall of 1965, Get Off My Cloud. I'm still on the Stones' cloud.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 13, 2015 10:45

Little Red Rooster
Heard it the first time 1964 and is hooked since then..I were 10 then...
last album that have really meant something musically for me with the Stones is 'Let it Bleed' from 1969...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 13, 2015 10:52

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home