Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Terrifying
Posted by: René ()
Date: May 11, 2015 09:21

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Terrifying
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Air Studios, Montserrat, West Indies, March 29 - May 5, 1989 and
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 15 - June 29, 1989

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, shakers
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Chuck Leavell - organ
Matt Clifford - keyboards
Roddy Lorimer - trumpet
Luis Jardim - percusssion
Lisa Fisher - backing vocals

No matter what you say, no matter what you do
I'm lazy as a lion, my body's just for you, crazy for you
I'm sneaky as a snake, I'm dirty as a dog
I'm rutting like a goat, I'm horny as a hog, terrifying love

I get these strange, strange, strange desires
Strange, strange, strange desires

You're graceful as a bird, my heart is on the wing
You're gentle as a dove, a hummingbird could sing, crazy
You're running like a deer, I'm wily as a fox
You're faster than a mare, I'm stronger than an ox, terrifying love

I'm faithful as a swan, I'm darker than a bat
I'm friendly as a bear, but tougher than a rat, that’s right
No matter what you say, no matter what you do
I'm restless as a cat, all caged up in a zoo, terrifying love

Crazy about ya, crazy for ya, crazy for ya, strange, strange, strange desires…

Produced by Chris Kimsey & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Steel Wheels” LP
(CBS 465752-1) UK, August 28, 1989

Re: Track Talk: Terrifying
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 09:57

Loved the 12" mix of this. It remains one of the Stones most adventurous departures from their usual sound and is none the worse for that. It's got a great momentum and sounded really good on the dancefloor.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 11, 2015 09:57

Love this tune, a very nice soul-disco song with a great feeling and a very beautiful and soulful Ronnie's solo

Date: May 11, 2015 10:00

Great track! I'd say unmistakably Stones with a few drops of jazz and pop thrown in the mix. thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:01

Starts out well but goes nowhere.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:56

eye popping smiley As the title declare: Horrifying song...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 11, 2015 12:59

Wasn’t too jazzed about this track when it came out, but since then it’s really grown on me. It has a really cool, groovy vibe to it, thanks in part to the production, with those sultry, Caribbean-esque instrumental touches, and clever lyrics that bounce off each other through a prism of animalistic imagery. Love the sensuous whispery vocals that Jagger inserts here and there, and Charlie’s echoey jungle-drum breaks. Nice riffage from Keith and Woody, and very solid bass from Mr Perks. And the trumpet from the legendary Roddy Corimer (kidding about that … who the f*ck is Roddy Corimer??) adds a lovely jazzy touch to the proceedings. It all adds up to a track that is mildly spooky and a whole lotta fun; just have this strange, strange desire that they would have extended it out a few more minutes and kept the jam going.

Drew

Date: May 11, 2015 13:05

It worked very well live, imo.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 13:09

drewmaster
And the trumpet from the legendary Roddy Corimer (kidding about that … who the f*ck is Roddy Corimer??)

Drew

It's Roddy Lorimer, on trumpet, nor Corimer. He came to prominence in the 80s as a session man and was best known at the time for his work with The Waterboys and particularly their hit The Whole Of The Moon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 13:09 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 13:42

For me, it's one of the few times were they succeded in really making something very different outside the "Rolling Stones-style". Those who claim The Stones has repeated themselves since 1981, should be played this track.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 11, 2015 13:42

drewmaster
Wasn’t too jazzed about this track when it came out, but since then it’s really grown on me. It has a really cool, groovy vibe to it, thanks in part to the production, with those sultry, Caribbean-esque instrumental touches, and clever lyrics that bounce off each other through a prism of animalistic imagery. Love the sensuous whispery vocals that Jagger inserts here and there, and Charlie’s echoey jungle-drum breaks. Nice riffage from Keith and Woody, and very solid bass from Mr Perks. And the trumpet from the legendary Roddy Corimer (kidding about that … who the f*ck is Roddy Corimer??) adds a lovely jazzy touch to the proceedings. It all adds up to a track that is mildly spooky and a whole lotta fun; just have this strange, strange desire that they would have extended it out a few more minutes and kept the jam going.

Drew
Well put +1!

Date: May 11, 2015 13:54

Blueranger
For me, it's one of the few times were they succeded in really making something very different outside the "Rolling Stones-style". Those who claim The Stones has repeated themselves since 1981, should be played this track.

+1

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 11, 2015 15:20

Sex Drive pt 1. It suffers the album's over slick production, but all in all a good one.

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 11, 2015 15:38

over produced...and better for it. love this track, definitely grows on you.

a highlight on steel wheels which is generally a pretty good album, although too slick on the production side.

but on this track, over produced works.

Date: May 11, 2015 15:40

treaclefingers
over produced...and better for it. love this track, definitely grows on you.

a highlight on steel wheels which is generally a pretty good album, although too slick on the production side.

but on this track, over produced works.

One of the few examples of the "more is more-approach" actually working.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 11, 2015 16:06

Best song on Steel Wheels (together with Almost Hear You Sigh)
Suffers a bit from it's production. Could have been a real killer it written, produced and released in the 1979-81-era.

Posted by: TerrifyingLove ()
Date: May 11, 2015 16:16

This song and hearts for sale were my favorites from steel wheels when it came out. seemed like they were stepping outside of their comfort zone to great effect. my fan level stepped up right then too. I think it was because I saw them live and realized that they were a LIVE band. they could (and still can) fill a stadium with their presence.

cheers!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 11, 2015 16:37

a useless filler and nothing more thumbs down

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 17:34

I dig it. It's a sexy track and the slick late '80s production suits it well.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 11, 2015 17:35

Can't discern the Keith vocal part!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 11, 2015 17:40

DandelionPowderman
One of the few examples of the "more is more-approach" actually working.

:E

Slinky! It shakes my tailfeather all right, and I got a real kick out of using it to teach grammar-teaching techniques.

I disagree with the first half of Blueranger's remark - I'd say it's one of many examples
of the Stones coming up with mighty fine music that isn't at all what people expect.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2015 17:58

Silver Dagger
Loved the 12" mix of this. It remains one of the Stones most adventurous departures from their usual sound and is none the worse for that. It's got a great momentum and sounded really good on the dancefloor.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 11, 2015 18:45

I just had a listen to: "Terrifying Live in Paris 1990 from the fantastic Wembley boot ", this track was bonus and I usually listen this track on repeat for an hour! Charlie and Bill provide a great back beat on this track and Jagger vocals are used to terrific effect. It was a great concert in Paris "Parc des Princes" at the time and after the concert we got lost in Bois De Boulogne.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:00

KRiffhard
a useless filler and nothing more thumbs down

I recall feeling the same after 1 or 2 listens, but like others have said, this one grew on me to become one of my favs on the album.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:10

Terrifying is a good song but it's a bit too corny and nonsensical for my taste.
I prefer the rougher Stones songs.
Imagine if they would have played this song live in Paris 1976... And released it on Love You Live... People would have thought they were joking.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:18

Stones light. Where is the tone and balls in the guitars? Where is the rock and roll? Where is the danger and excitement? This is about a far from what I expect from the Stones as I hope they ever get. It's like they are a top 40 band playing at a local dance club. Yeah it's slick and polished but it does absolutely nothing for me. A perfect example of the Stones who lost their way as a leading rock and roll band.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:32

the guitar line has a similarity to the theme of this jazz classic from Horace Silver:

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:37

Naturalust
Stones light. Where is the tone and balls in the guitars? Where is the rock and roll? Where is the danger and excitement? This is about a far from what I expect from the Stones as I hope they ever get. It's like they are a top 40 band playing at a local dance club. Yeah it's slick and polished but it does absolutely nothing for me. A perfect example of the Stones who lost their way as a leading rock and roll band.

peace

I agree to a certain extent. Do you like a band like TOTO ? I think they could have created an exciting and burning product out of this kind of song, with the late Jeff and Steve Porcaro, even with Jagger on vocals, cause I think he's doing quite ok here. The Stones cannot do this kind of music in a convincing way...a matter of competence. They were too much of a garage band. And a good one.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:53

LuxuryStones
Naturalust

peace

I agree to a certain extent. Do you like a band like TOTO ? I think they could have created an exiting and burning product out of this kind of song, with the late Jeff and Steve Porcaro, even with Jagger on vocals, cause I think he's doing quite ok here. A matter of competence. The Stones cannot do this kind of music in a convincing way.. They were too much of a garage band. And a good one.

I actually like the band TOTO, am friends with a couple members. They can really rock better than their most popular tunes suggest. Steve L. is a pretty amazing guitarist and they are all actually great musicians. Personally, I think they really were trying a bit too hard to put out commercially successful music instead of following any unique and real musical vision, stung by the success of a couple rather sappy tunes...always trying to repeat that success.

I agree Jagger's vocal are Ok here, it's just not the kind of thing I ever wanted for the Stones. Seeing Keith playing this song makes me wonder what happened to to Mr. Rock and Roll. I get the feeling Mick was driving this approach and the other guys were just along for the ride.

peace

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 11, 2015 20:55

Naturalust

peace

you nailed it. i think the title of the track says it all.....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home