Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 08:42

ChelseaGirls
The first album without any great songs. Winter/Heartbreaker were great songs. I HATE the song IORR. Very caricatural musically and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra... I hate some Girls too, even if it is still better than IORR. Some songs are quite decent compared to the following albums. But... listening to punk-inspired songs by the RS, no way. We can't hear the energy of the youth, there is no urgency. There are too many other great albums from this year: the Scream by Siouxsie & The Banshees, the first only Ones. The RS? late to the party. Now: Black and Blue If I want some great funk music, I listen to Prince or the Meters. And if I want to listen to Disco...well I don't know anything about disco... Now you can tell me the same thing about GHS and Glam rock... that is the case from some songs but Heartbreaker and Winter were not glam rock at all.

CG: The only disco you need can be found in the first 7 tracks on Donna Summer's ONCE UPON A TIME.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2015 09:19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 13:29 by swiss.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 10, 2015 14:20

Naturalust
treaclefingers
kleermaker
Naturalust
Something never quite clicked with this record for me with the exception of the great title song. I think it was a combination of the heavy drug use starting to take it's toll on the bands creativity and the loss of the late great Jimmy Miller as producer.

They should have skipped this record altogether and put IORR on Black and Blue. grinning smiley

peace

Funny how one taste can differ from another. I find IORR the song totally uninteresting. It really has nothing for me. I heard it for the first time loudly on the radio when I as a student was working in a steel factory during summer vacation. I immediately recognized Jagger's voice of course, but almost couldn't believe my ears.

Then bought the album and loved Time Waits and also Dance Litte S. and Fingerprint F, but disliked Ain't To Proud, IORR (as said) and Luxury (repetitive and missing a 'punch'). All other songs so so, some being somewhat better than others. Overall to me this album can't stand in the shadow of GHS, which I consider as one of their best.

Any album with Dancing With Mr. D on it cannot be consider they're best. Silver Train rips off ADTL. Can You Hear The Music? Can You Hear Me Snoring?

OK, I'm being a bit nasty but this is nowhere near the big 5 or the next 5 or so. Certainly not better than IORR or B&Blue

You guys are trippin. GHS is definitely part of the big 5 for me. Better than Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, way better than IORR and Black and Blue. Ok treacle take Dancin w/ Mr. D away but look at the true classics on that record, Angie, 100 Years Ago, CDA, and Heartbreaker all on one side! Then Winter alone on the other side makes it better than anything on SG or ER, or anything after actually.

I think you guys need to give it another critical listen. Don't get me wrong I've come to like SG a lot but most of the tunes were the Stones trying to cop the disco punk stuff of the times, their departure from leading the pack. GHS still represents the Stones as the leaders in the Rock and Roll game. I can still listen to this record from start to finish without skipping a track.

Yeah I love GHS. The last of the best.

peace

This time we're of the same opinion Naturalust. As I said: IORR the album can't stand in the shadow of GHS, which I consider as one of their best. For me GHS is also part of the big five. I even like Dancing w. Mr. D, knowing how great it sounded live during the European 73 tour.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 14:51

I've always liked Dancing with Mr. D too. Just a great guitar lick. Here is a 1973 version with Mick growling out the vocals as is fit for this tune and Taylor adding some very interesting stuff!

peace

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:03

The thing about the Stones from about '68 to '83 is they were doing something different with every record. There was a different feel to each album, and some fans dug whatever direction the latest record took and others did not. I love the IORR album, the title track, Short and Curlies and all. To me, this is another absolutely great Stones album, during a very prolific period. Black and Blue must have seemed disjointed after this album, but man, it is still one of the freshest Stones albums in my opinion... And then Some Girls-- Totally different feel. Love the 70's albums, all of them!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:35

ChelseaGirls
The first album without any great songs. Winter/Heartbreaker were great songs. I HATE the song IORR. Very caricatural musically and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra...

That's actually a reason to love the song.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:36

I loved/love IORR. Great dark album. With two epic tracks closing each side. The only weak one for me is Luxury. Doesn't really go anywhere, but not terrible. There is a lot of variety on IORR, and some beautiful playing. Love it!

Date: May 10, 2015 15:48

whitem8
I loved/love IORR. Great dark album. With two epic tracks closing each side. The only weak one for me is Luxury. Doesn't really go anywhere, but not terrible. There is a lot of variety on IORR, and some beautiful playing. Love it!

yeah, I don't understand the animosity towards it. With TWFNO and Fingerprint File as improvements over Winter and Dancing with Mr. D, you'd think the Goat's Head Soupists would be all over this.

Soup is an appetizer. IORR is a meal.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:51

It's Only Rock 'N Roll has stood the test of time, being featured on most Stones tours since its release "Ron Wood on guitar", other favourites are Till The Next Goodbye, Time Waits For No One and Fingerprint File. FF live is awesome.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:51

treaclefingers

IORR sounds forced and dry. GHS sincere and layered. GHS FTW.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 17:16

LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls
The first album without any great songs. Winter/Heartbreaker were great songs. I HATE the song IORR. Very caricatural musically and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra... I hate some Girls too, even if it is still better than IORR. Some songs are quite decent compared to the following albums. But... listening to punk-inspired songs by the RS, no way. We can't hear the energy of the youth, there is no urgency. There are too many other great albums from this year: the Scream by Siouxsie & The Banshees, the first only Ones. The RS? late to the party. Now: Black and Blue If I want some great funk music, I listen to Prince or the Meters. And if I want to listen to Disco...well I don't know anything about disco... Now you can tell me the same thing about GHS and Glam rock... that is the case from some songs but Heartbreaker and Winter were not glam rock at all.

CG: The only disco you need can be found in the first 7 tracks on Donna Summer's ONCE UPON A TIME.

OK Thanks. I don't know anything about Donna Summer, I just remember that she died just before Fischer-Dieskau's own death. grinning smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 10, 2015 17:37

I cant understand all the hate for Short and Curlies. Great Mick n Keith vocals, funny lyrics, rolling piano, and a groove that just spirals round and round.

I wish that in place of one of the 'can't get away from it all' repeats they had sung 'you can't always get what you want'.

That would have been great!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2015 17:42

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Naturalust
Something never quite clicked with this record for me with the exception of the great title song. I think it was a combination of the heavy drug use starting to take it's toll on the bands creativity and the loss of the late great Jimmy Miller as producer.

They should have skipped this record altogether and put IORR on Black and Blue. grinning smiley

peace

Funny how one taste can differ from another. I find IORR the song totally uninteresting. It really has nothing for me. I heard it for the first time loudly on the radio when I as a student was working in a steel factory during summer vacation. I immediately recognized Jagger's voice of course, but almost couldn't believe my ears.

Then bought the album and loved Time Waits and also Dance Litte S. and Fingerprint F, but disliked Ain't To Proud, IORR (as said) and Luxury (repetitive and missing a 'punch'). All other songs so so, some being somewhat better than others. Overall to me this album can't stand in the shadow of GHS, which I consider as one of their best.

Any album with Dancing With Mr. D on it cannot be consider they're best. Silver Train rips off ADTL. Can You Hear The Music? Can You Hear Me Snoring?

OK, I'm being a bit nasty but this is nowhere near the big 5 or the next 5 or so. Certainly not better than IORR or B&Blue

Mmmmm. Yeah, it is.

Date: May 10, 2015 17:56

ChelseaGirls
LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls

OK Thanks. I don't know anything about Donna Summer, I just remember that she died just before Fischer-Dieskau's own death. grinning smiley

[m.youtube.com]

One of the great vocal performances of the modern era.

Date: May 10, 2015 18:19

Another - not so obvious - choice: Brahms, Die Schöne Magelone (Fischer-Dieskau/Richter on piano)
The 1970 live version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 18:28 by ChelseaGirls.

Date: May 10, 2015 19:16

muffie
treaclefingers

IORR sounds forced and dry. GHS sincere and layered. GHS FTW.

Just add a bit of gravy and it'll go down nice. IORR FTW on a recount.

Date: May 10, 2015 19:23

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Mmmmm. Yeah, it is.

soup is not a meal banya skippy

Date: May 10, 2015 19:24

ChelseaGirls
Another - not so obvious - choice: Brahms, Die Schöne Magelone (Fischer-Dieskau/Richter on piano)
The 1970 live version.

I prefer Ya-Ya's, but I see your point.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 10, 2015 19:33

I dismissed all albums that had a hard inner sleeve ... but the music was generally very good, especially the title song as been said.

2 1 2 0

Date: May 10, 2015 19:48

Come On
I dismissed all albums that had a hard inner sleeve ... but the music was generally very good, especially the title song as been said.

So IORR, Some Girls & Tattoo You were off the table for you!

I guess you must have hated McCartney through the 70s!

Date: May 10, 2015 19:57

ChelseaGirls
The 1970 live version.

Sounds promising, if only for the accompanist. Richter > Brendel.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:19

its only rnr is probably the most distant sound studio to live song they do..so boring idk why they don't try a bit towards the studio version.i know tech is different now but cmon.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:42

"These days there's no privacy...just secrecy."

These words from "Fingerprint File" are more cogent today than ever.

I like "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" for its Philly soul sound, and "Luxury" is my theme song when I'm working late.

Many great moments on that 1974 album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:56

treaclefingers

GHS:

IORR:

peace

Date: May 11, 2015 05:25

Naturalust
treaclefingers

GHS:

IORR:

peace

you're trying to pass filet off as goat...that's totally shameless.

Soup is NOT a meal!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 11, 2015 05:44

ChelseaGirls
and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra...

God Gave Rock and Roll to you.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 11, 2015 05:59

mitchrambler
its only rnr is probably the most distant sound studio to live song they do..so boring idk why they don't try a bit towards the studio version.i know tech is different now but cmon.

We could hope, but it would be hard to pull off live. The last 1/3 of the studio version is one of my favorite things of all time, Stones or not. After Mick starts the whispering bit ("I lahk ahht"), the guitars, acoustic and electric, are all over the effing place, out of touch with each other musically. It's hard to describe how it comes together so sloppy but seamlessly in the end. It probably was a mistake. I forget who played drums, but it wasn't Charlie. Anyway, it would take alot of work to come up with a live facsimile, and even if it's good, I don't know that it would be worth the trouble.

As for the album, there's too much good stuff on there to dismiss it, like FF, the title cut, Dance Little Sister. And we get the first real taste of the "Jagger ballad", with IYRWTBMF". I guess "Winter" qualifies, so I should say the first real taste of the Jagger ballad as it might sound on a solo record.
And as for the sound.... I've heard Mick complain that Beggars sounded "a bit muddy". To my ears, the IORR album sounds muddier, except for Dance Little Sister. Listening to IORR and Black and Blue back to back is like night and day, at least soundwise.

Date: May 11, 2015 06:54

treaclefingers
ChelseaGirls
The first album without any great songs. Winter/Heartbreaker were great songs. I HATE the song IORR. Very caricatural musically and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra...

but it ain't rock'n'roll... no

Date: May 11, 2015 07:02

ChelseaGirls
treaclefingers
ChelseaGirls

but it ain't rock'n'roll... no

but I like it, yes I do.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:28

>I dismissed all albums that had a hard inner sleeve ...

You don't like EXILE ON MAIN ST.?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home