Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Album Talk: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: April 18, 2019 18:48

sorry not stereo but remastered ...
m.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:37

Probably the only album I play where my two year old claps at the end of every song - his sign of approval, lol.

It’s really hard for me to choose between the US and UK version, so I cheat and set my Rolling Stones playlist in order of singles and albums. That way, I can still listen to Not Fade Away and then transition right into the UK album. it’s like listening to a combination of both smiling smiley

- Cam

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 17, 2019 05:52

My Stones confession is that I've been relying on the old Singles Collection box set and the hits collections to suffice for most everything prior to "Their Satanic Majesties Request" so, this is my first time evaluating these early albums as individual works. I'm going to try to review all of the studio work, just for fun. So, here we go!

I'm rating these albums based on how many tracks I would add to my personal Rolling Stones playlist, versus how many I would leave off.

The Rolling Stones - My rating: 4 out of 10

There are some keepers on this debut album, but also a fair amount of uninspired filler. Still, it's the Rolling Stones, baby! Or is it the Rolling Stones Babies? Either way, this is where it all started.

1. Route 66 - It's okay, not overwhelmingly incredible, a little sloppy. I wouldn't consider it an essential track.

2. I Just Want To Make Love To You - Another boogie. Great sound on the guitars and vocals are fierce. The Stones do a better job at making this one their own than they did Route 66.

3. Honest I Do - This one is not for me. Everything sounds off-kilter and awkward.

4. Mona - A rewrite of "Bo Diddley". Nothing special for me.

5. Now I've Got A Witness (Like Uncle Gene And Uncle Phil) - Instrumental blues boogie. Feels like filler.

6. Little By Little - This one has a nice little swagger to it. I don't know if it's absolutely essential, but just enough attitude to add to a Stones mix.

7. I'm A King Bee - Pretty good, even though I would ultimately give it a pass. I like the sound of the guitars. The song is a blues classic, but it's not really very inspired, songwriting-wise.

8. Carol - Covering Chuck Berry, the Rolling Stones come alive. Lively beat, fiery guitars, and sharp vocals.

9. Tell Me (You're Coming Back) - Excellent debut for the Jagger/Richards songwriting team. This is a sophisticated tune with passion and ambition. The production is a little rough, but the song is still a winner.

10. Can I Get A Witness - I think this one is very cool. Jumpin' beat, and awesome singing by Mick. You can tell everyone is bringing some love to this performance.

11. You Can Make It If You Try - The magic found in tracks like Can I Get A Witness, seems to be missing here. Sounds very uninspired. I would skip this one.

12. Walking The Dog - I've never really been a fan of this song, and I don't think the Stones really bring anything special to this particular version. I actually find it a bit annoying.

-

Keepers: I Just Want To Make Love To You, Little By Little, Carol, Tell Me, Can I Get A Witness

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 17, 2019 07:16

…. when released I lived when them songs …. I guess ya had ta be there

ROCKMAN

Date: September 17, 2019 08:01

jahisnotdead
My Stones confession is that I've been relying on the old Singles Collection box set and the hits collections to suffice for most everything prior to "Their Satanic Majesties Request" so, this is my first time evaluating these early albums as individual works. I'm going to try to review all of the studio work, just for fun. So, here we go!

I'm rating these albums based on how many tracks I would add to my personal Rolling Stones playlist, versus how many I would leave off.

The Rolling Stones - My rating: 4 out of 10

There are some keepers on this debut album, but also a fair amount of uninspired filler. Still, it's the Rolling Stones, baby! Or is it the Rolling Stones Babies? Either way, this is where it all started.

1. Route 66 - It's okay, not overwhelmingly incredible, a little sloppy. I wouldn't consider it an essential track.

2. I Just Want To Make Love To You - Another boogie. Great sound on the guitars and vocals are fierce. The Stones do a better job at making this one their own than they did Route 66.

3. Honest I Do - This one is not for me. Everything sounds off-kilter and awkward.

4. Mona - A rewrite of "Bo Diddley". Nothing special for me.

5. Now I've Got A Witness (Like Uncle Gene And Uncle Phil) - Instrumental blues boogie. Feels like filler.

6. Little By Little - This one has a nice little swagger to it. I don't know if it's absolutely essential, but just enough attitude to add to a Stones mix.

7. I'm A King Bee - Pretty good, even though I would ultimately give it a pass. I like the sound of the guitars. The song is a blues classic, but it's not really very inspired, songwriting-wise.

8. Carol - Covering Chuck Berry, the Rolling Stones come alive. Lively beat, fiery guitars, and sharp vocals.

9. Tell Me (You're Coming Back) - Excellent debut for the Jagger/Richards songwriting team. This is a sophisticated tune with passion and ambition. The production is a little rough, but the song is still a winner.

10. Can I Get A Witness - I think this one is very cool. Jumpin' beat, and awesome singing by Mick. You can tell everyone is bringing some love to this performance.

11. You Can Make It If You Try - The magic found in tracks like Can I Get A Witness, seems to be missing here. Sounds very uninspired. I would skip this one.

12. Walking The Dog - I've never really been a fan of this song, and I don't think the Stones really bring anything special to this particular version. I actually find it a bit annoying.

-

Keepers: I Just Want To Make Love To You, Little By Little, Carol, Tell Me, Can I Get A Witness

I think it's great what you're doing: to go and dig deep in the early swamp. Yeah, don't rely on any Collection albums. Maybe give these early gems another listen. Some of those discards may strike a bit different second or third time around. (And then you'll become Rockman)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2019 08:48

I don't think I heard this album until around the spring of '72, right before the Stones really hit hard in the states with Exile, Hot Rocks, and the Tour. I was in Atlanta at the time and a girl knew I was a Stones fan. I never heard their early work. She loaned me a stack of their early albums. It was the first time I realized Brian's slide playing was fantastic. (Brian was kind of forgotten already). King Bee was phenomenal. I liked a lot of it but thought it badly recorded. Years later when I acquired a German CD pressing of the U.K. version, I thought it much better.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 17, 2019 11:05

liddas
Fantastic album.

I prefer the US version though - could be only because that's the version I've listened for years before even knowing that there was a UK version, but Fade Away / 66 / love to you ... THAT's IT, that's the Stones!

C

I prefer the UK version, but it's impossible to find. Fade Away is very good, but I think Mona is even better.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 17, 2019 11:07

Redhotcarpet
Great thread DP! The Album cover is easily one of the best ever by any band. I mean talk about introducing yourself. No name, just a dark shadowy yet warm photo of some angelic thugs. Playing adult music. UK version rules of course. This album can only get started with the power riff machine that is Keith. Route 66 is the name of the song. But that's not important. You might was well call it Attack no 1. Some of Keiths best guitar work ever. Im not joking. It's his showcase. Brian has his numbers. Keith his. Mick shares some. Bill all of them. What a great bass player. Charlie on most of them at least.

To be honest, I don't really know which parts are played by Brian and which by Keith. I imagine that the Chuck Berry licks are Keith, but for the rest I don't know. A list of that would be highly appreciated.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 21:25

A favourite. Been revisiting all week. That iconic front cover alone still exudes cool and a hint of menace.

Every few months this wonderful debut full-length from the band gets a few plays. It still feels visceral and fiery on propulsive cuts like 'Just Want to Make Love', 'Carol' and 'Route 66'. Rhythmic and thrilling. 'Honest I Do' and 'King Bee' are as hypnotic today as they must have sounded in '64.

Preferred version at moment is a YouTube playlist of some great sounding stereo versions of all tracks, as well as stereo versions of early singles/b sides/EP tracks for an essential 23-track playlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 21:27 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 22:56

Route 66 is a Bobby Troup song. He died in 1999 and soon after the band added the song to the live set list as a tribute. The US interstate system made Route 66 obsolete, but in late 1960 my family piled into the car and made that trip from Chicago to LA. Wigwam hotels and all sorts of travel oddities along the way. When we arrived in LA my Dad's left arm was tanned bronze.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home