Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Album Talk: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Come On
The albums will be presented and invite to discussion on Fridays?

Yep, if I can keep it up, that is grinning smiley

Great Idea. And when we finally finish up on discussing ABB, they should be done with the new album. smoking smiley

LOL! >grinning smiley<

We can go on with Live albums, singles, EPs, Boxes everytning after ABB....our future is definitely in harbour...(Swedish way to put it)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:10

DandelionPowderman
txussilvestre
Nikkei
In Crossfire Hurricane Mick said: "The first album's all covers." But isn't Little by Little a Nanker/Phelge tune?

Yes, it is, but it is actually strongly inspired in Jimmy Reed's "Shame, Shame, Shame".

Just like with Reed's Fannie Mae. The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man is nothing but a blueprint of that one smiling smiley

It was stolen from JR is more like it sad smiley but on the other hand they improved it as well with those irony lyrics smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:24

Have been giving it another listen, just to suck it all in again.

I think you can hear the band was only used to playing songs live and they took this
experience with them into the studio. The use of a 2 track recorder forced them to play
in the studio the same way they played on stage. No overdubs, just the band rocking
it all out. With a fantastic result.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:06

Nice thread, DP! thumbs up

Although their late 60's/early 70's albums are highly regarded as THE best Rolling Stones albums, their first LP has been one of my favorite albums of all time since the first time I bought it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:42

Great thread DP! The Album cover is easily one of the best ever by any band. I mean talk about introducing yourself. No name, just a dark shadowy yet warm photo of some angelic thugs. Playing adult music. UK version rules of course. This album can only get started with the power riff machine that is Keith. Route 66 is the name of the song. But that's not important. You might was well call it Attack no 1. Some of Keiths best guitar work ever. Im not joking. It's his showcase. Brian has his numbers. Keith his. Mick shares some. Bill all of them. What a great bass player. Charlie on most of them at least.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 8, 2015 20:24

Redhotcarpet
Great thread DP! The Album cover is easily one of the best ever by any band. I mean talk about introducing yourself. No name, just a dark shadowy yet warm photo of some angelic thugs. Playing adult music. UK version rules of course. This album can only get started with the power riff machine that is Keith. Route 66 is the name of the song. But that's not important. You might was well call it Attack no 1. Some of Keiths best guitar work ever. Im not joking. It's his showcase. Brian has his numbers. Keith his. Mick shares some. Bill all of them. What a great bass player. Charlie on most of them at least.

Yep, Yes, Exactly so...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 8, 2015 23:20

I wanna add the heaviness of Brian on this album. He is sublime. And Bill is so prominent, smooth like a soft pawned old cat. Walking down his path no stupid moves. Brian being the stingy bee and the restless Mona

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 9, 2015 01:03

When the Rolling Stones were all about arrogance, energy and sex!

Too bad the boring Mick Taylor added some beauty and class to the sound of the band, later...

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 9, 2015 01:41

Cristiano Radtke
Nice thread, DP! thumbs up

Although their late 60's/early 70's albums are highly regarded as THE best Rolling Stones albums, their first LP has been one of my favorite albums of all time since the first time I bought it.

i agree. this album is better than any album they did with mick taylor other than exile and sticky fingers. (i'm not counting let it bleed as a taylor album since he only did some overdubs)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 9, 2015 10:42

It's quite surprising that this topic can get this far without anyone mentioning the (to use the quaint Americanism) Potty-talk ad lib that Jagger does near the end of one song!

If you DON'T know what I'm talking about, take a careful listen to the album (OK, tough work, but someone's gotta do it) and when you hear it marvel at the fact that you may well have heard the album a thousand times and not noticed it!

Enjoy.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 9, 2015 14:53

The Rolling Stones: A debut feature of five ingenious dilettantes, I hear it again and again over decades and it sounds fresh and new like the first time I heard it. It sounds as if they recorded it on one single day. One absolut groundbreaking song for their career is I'm a King Bee in my opinion.

Date: May 9, 2015 18:00

RobertJohnson
The Rolling Stones: A debut feature of five ingenious dilettantes, I hear it again and again over decades and it sounds fresh and new like the first time I heard it. It sounds as if they recorded it on one single day. One absolut groundbreaking song for their career is I'm a King Bee in my opinion.

S p o t o n.

Date: April 18, 2017 04:55

It was released 53 years ago today - or yesterday, depending on what source you read. Still one of their best, imho. smileys with beer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 18, 2017 06:12

rootsman
Mona is one of my favourite Stones tracks from all times - that rhythm is irresistable and Brian rules! >grinning smiley<

[www.youtube.com]

The problem is ... what do you prefer, Mona or Not Fade Away? Pretty much the same song and they do them both wonderfully, it is a tough call. Either way you choose, I am glad they did both!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 10:48

Great GREAT album. Route66 was the very first Stones song I ever heard, a year after it's release, on an old Crystal Set as I was trying to tune into the cricket commentary from the UK from my bedroom in Perth Australia. Missed the cricket and got Route66...that was IT for me.

Bought the album months later. Incredible stuff. Tell Me, Mona, Can I get a Witness, Route66, Walking the Dog, King BEEEEEEE, Carol, it's all just so damn GREAT!

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 10:51 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 18, 2017 11:05

LeonidP
rootsman
Mona is one of my favourite Stones tracks from all times - that rhythm is irresistable and Brian rules! >grinning smiley<

[www.youtube.com]

The problem is ... what do you prefer, Mona or Not Fade Away? Pretty much the same song and they do them both wonderfully, it is a tough call. Either way you choose, I am glad they did both!

Tough call indeed. I think I prefer the version with Mona, but unfortunately, I can only find the version with Not Fade Away in the shops. Given that I want to buy it on CD, I am still in doubts whether I should buy the Fade Away version (is that the US version by the way?) or keep on looking for the Mona version.

In any case, it's a very good album, suprisingly not at all dated as far as I am concerned. The Stones always state that for them the Chess studios were so much better than the London studios (where they recorded this one, as far as I know) but for me, this album just sounds perfect and I prefer it above the next ones before Out Of Their Heads.
The standout songs for me are Route 66, I Just Wanna Make Love To You, Mona, Oh Carol, Tell Me (!!!) and Walking The Dog, but the rest is good fun too.

Date: April 18, 2017 11:16

matxil
LeonidP
rootsman

[www.youtube.com]

Tough call indeed. I think I prefer the version with Mona, but unfortunately, I can only find the version with Not Fade Away in the shops. Given that I want to buy it on CD, I am still in doubts whether I should buy the Fade Away version (is that the US version by the way?) or keep on looking for the Mona version.

In any case, it's a very good album, suprisingly not at all dated as far as I am concerned. The Stones always state that for them the Chess studios were so much better than the London studios (where they recorded this one, as far as I know) but for me, this album just sounds perfect and I prefer it above the next ones before Out Of Their Heads.
The standout songs for me are Route 66, I Just Wanna Make Love To You, Mona, Oh Carol, Tell Me (!!!) and Walking The Dog, but the rest is good fun too.

The version with Not Fade Away is the US version.

Mona is on NOW.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 18, 2017 11:16

Press release.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 18, 2017 11:20

...«has worked in a post office...»

LOL!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 18, 2017 12:53

60 cigarettes a day, woof

If my math is correct Bill Wyman was 27 years old on day album was released

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 18, 2017 17:13

matxil
LeonidP
rootsman

[www.youtube.com]

Tough call indeed. I think I prefer the version with Mona...

I would probably go w/ Mona myself, mainly because of Mick's wail ("heyyyyy heyyyyy Mona"), then followed by the same which he sings more softly.

Date: April 18, 2017 17:30

Incredibly enough, the official live version of Mona is even better, imo. Might be because of the two guitars-assault. Brian is a little more loose as well thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 18, 2017 17:39

DandelionPowderman
Incredibly enough, the official live version of Mona is even better, imo. Might be because of the two guitars-assault. Brian is a little more loose as well thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

Wow yes, very good version indeed!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 18, 2017 18:47

Thanks, especially for the press release!

Date: April 16, 2019 23:39

Date: April 17, 2019 13:25

Mona: Brian and Mick and Bill. I recall trying to figure out who the singer was. Couldnt possibly be the guy on the cover.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2019 13:32

Heck that's a worry …..

ROCKMAN

Date: April 17, 2019 15:24

To me it is easily among the very best of the Stones albums. I have the Big 5 , and then always the first one ranked. It would be a while IMO until they got the mojo so right again for a whole album.
And like with all the earlier discs - Decca, UK is the way to go. Get your Mona going bump-a dee bump.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:06

Ace album, but Tell Me sucks. grinning smiley

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: April 18, 2019 18:44

Great album, best debut ever! Better in mono than in stereo IMHO.
ciao
m.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home