Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Album Talk: The Rolling Stones
Date: May 8, 2015 10:53

Tracklist:

Released by Decca Records in the UK on 16 April 1964.

Route 66
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Honest I Do
Mona
Now I've Got A Witness (Like Uncle Gene And Uncle Phil)
Little By Little
I'm A King Bee
Carol
Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
Can I Get A Witness
You Can Make It If You Try
Walking The Dog

Random fan comment from Discogs:
«One of the greatest débuts of all time, there's a great energy to this album. It's a great take on the blues and R&B. As well as performing fairly earnest covers, they also transform "I Just Want to Make Love To You" from a slow blues into an upbeat rocker, Jagger's testifying on Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness" adds an extra rawness and they inject extra energy into Chuck Berry's already upbeat "Route 66" and "Carol". Jagger and Jones both show they are fairly proficient on the harmonica, and on the one tune penned by Jagger and Richards show their song writing potential. I could appreciate the energy of this album when I was eight years old, and still feel it as strongly today».

Credits:

Personnel:

Mick Jagger – lead and backing vocals, harmonica on "Little by Little" and "I'm a King Bee", percussion
Keith Richards – guitar, backing vocals
Brian Jones – guitar, harmonica, percussion, backing vocals, co-lead vocals on "Walking The Dog"
Bill Wyman – bass guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts – drums, percussion
Ian Stewart – organ, piano

Additional musicians:
Gene Pitney – piano on "Little by Little"
Phil Spector – maracas on "Little by Little"

What are your thoughts on the album?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 14:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Album Talk: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 11:00

In Crossfire Hurricane Mick said: "The first album's all covers." But isn't Little by Little a Nanker/Phelge tune?

Date: May 8, 2015 11:05

Nikkei
In Crossfire Hurricane Mick said: "The first album's all covers." But isn't Little by Little a Nanker/Phelge tune?

Little By Little is credited «Nanker Phelge/Phil Spector», Now I Got A Witness is «Nanker» And Tell Me is «Jagger/Richard».

Typical sloppy accuracy by Mick smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 8, 2015 11:36

My thoughts on The Rolling Stones debutalbum smiling smiley

It's simply a album with 12 smash-hits...I bought it around 1972 with this

frontcover:

also with a poster...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 8, 2015 11:43

The original cover:

Another reissue cover:

Date: May 8, 2015 11:49

The original edition's front cover inspires undoubtedly respect! To listen if you dare, but with utmost devotion.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 8, 2015 11:50

The best in the entire catalog. Nothing can beat this one.

And (most probably) the best debut album ever.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:01

Brilliant BRILLIANT record. Route 66 was the first Stones song I ever heard on a little crystal set as I was TRYING to find a radio station broadcasting cricket from England ... I am in Perth, Australia.

My jaw hit the floor and that was it. Got the EP about a month or so later from the little record shop in Basinghall Street, East Vic Park (doubled as the Singer Sewing Machine shop!), and then about 2 or 3 months later this LP.

Mona, Tell Me, Witness, Walking the Dog, Route 66 (of course!) and King Bee particularly just, to my ears, were the bees knees...oh yeah, much to my parents' disgust (they were trying to get me into The Seekers!), THIS was the album that started it all for me!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:01

One of their top ten albums and the playing is actually top three. Exile is the grandson. The band is so f- ing good that you cant tell their age. Brian plays like a damn pro, like a real blues man. King bee is one of their best songs cover and originals included. Route 66 has to be one of the best covers: its keith and bill and charlie who tear up the formula and shred it to pieces. I love this album and man, the sleeve, that photo of the band: tension ( keith ) angst hard tough real no nonsense rock attitude. Yeah brian looks like a boss. Awsome. Pure darkness that helps numbers like tell me, its not a schoolboy song its those guys on the sleeve.

Date: May 8, 2015 12:02

Redhotcarpet
One of their top ten albums and the playing is actually top three. Exile is the grandson. The band is so f- ing good that you cant tell their age. Brian plays like a damn pro, like a real blues man. King bee is one of their best songs cover and originals included. Route 66 has to be one of the best covers: its keith and bill and charlie who tear up the formula and shred it to pieces. I love this album and man, the sleeve, that photo of the band: tension ( keith ) angst hard tough real no nonsense rock attitude. Yeah brian looks like a boss. Awsome. Pure darkness that helps numbers like tell me, its not a schoolboy song its those guys on the sleeve.

thumbs up

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:05

It's pretty tough to release a debut album without their name on the cover.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:07

The album cover and the contents of the album tell us one thing: here's a band that hits
you straight in your face and there's nothing you can do about it.
I wasn't born at the moment this album arrived, so I can't tell about the impact it must
have had at the time. What strikes me, though is the strong collective they formed with
the six of them at the time. Sometimes it seems they're all trying to outshine the others
in the band, with the result that the collective output is some kind of noise that grabs
you and never leaves you again.

It is amazing how they were allowed to jam in the studio and put the result on record.
Now I've got a witness, Little by Little, King Bee and I Just Want To Make Love to You
are great examples of the synergy in this band.

And I didn't mention the Chuck Berry songs, because they are in a league of their own.
Listen to Keith doing all the different guitar licks in Carol, and you know here's
a guitar legend stepping up to meet the world.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 8, 2015 12:24

marcovandereijk
The album cover and the contents of the album tell us one thing: here's a band that hits
you straight in your face and there's nothing you can do about it.

I wasn't born at the moment this album arrived, so I can't tell about the impact it must
have had at the time. What strikes me, though is the strong collective they formed with
the six of them at the time. Sometimes it seems they're all trying to outshine the others
in the band, with the result that the collective output is some kind of noise that grabs
you and never leaves you again.

It is amazing how they were allowed to jam in the studio and put the result on record.
Now I've got a witness, Little by Little, King Bee and I Just Want To Make Love to You
are great examples of the synergy in this band.

And I didn't mention the Chuck Berry songs, because they are in a league of their own.
Listen to Keith doing all the different guitar licks in Carol, and you know here's
a guitar legend stepping up to meet the world.

>grinning smiley<

Spot on. And I heard this in the 80s, couldn't have been more than 8. Theres no compromise with these guys. They are bad. It's not an act.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:26

Fantastic album.

I prefer the US version though - could be only because that's the version I've listened for years before even knowing that there was a UK version, but Fade Away / 66 / love to you ... THAT's IT, that's the Stones!

C

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:40

Mona is one of my favourite Stones tracks from all times - that rhythm is irresistable and Brian rules! >grinning smiley<

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 12:41 by rootsman.

Date: May 8, 2015 13:13

More international releases and reissues of their debut album (Thanks to Hans for the pictures):

Belgium 1971:

The original japanese cover, which included the band name:

Holland 1966:

A rare one, according to Universal (Why?):

Holland 1968 (front):

Holland 1968 (back):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 13:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 8, 2015 13:48

DandelionPowderman
Tracklist:

Route 66
Honest I Do
Mona
Little By Little
I'm A King Bee
Carol
Can I Get A Witness
Walking The Dog

«One of the greatest débuts of all time, there's a great energy to this album. It's a great take on the blues and R&B. As well as performing fairly earnest covers, they also transform "I Just Want to Make Love To You" from a slow blues into an upbeat rocker, Jagger's testifying on Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness" adds an extra rawness and they inject extra energy into Chuck Berry's already upbeat "Route 66" and "Carol". Jagger and Jones both show they are fairly proficient on the harmonica, and on the one tune penned by Jagger and Richards show their song writing potential. I could appreciate the energy of this album when I was eight years old, and still feel it as strongly today».

Excellent idea to discuss the albums, but in the early years you should differentiate between the UK and US Albums. In UK we got 3 before Aftermath, in the US we got 5.

Date: May 8, 2015 13:53

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
Tracklist:

Route 66
Honest I Do
Mona
Little By Little
I'm A King Bee
Carol
Can I Get A Witness
Walking The Dog

Excellent idea to discuss the albums, but in the early years you should differentiate between the UK and US Albums. In UK we got 3 before Aftermath, in the US we got 5.

My plan was to do all the albums, UK and US.

Date: May 8, 2015 13:53

rootsman
Mona is one of my favourite Stones tracks from all times - that rhythm is irresistable and Brian rules! >grinning smiley<

[www.youtube.com]

Yes Mona. Showcase Brian but also Mick. I say Yeah, yeah yeah yeah, Mooona. Ooarhh Moona.

Date: May 8, 2015 13:55

And lets not forget Stew's boogie. Important part of that first hit in the face.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:04

ironbelly
The best in the entire catalog. Nothing can beat this one.

And (most probably) the best debut album ever.

When I listen to The Scream by Siouxsie & The Banshees, I can't believe this is their debut album... Best version of Helter Skelter IMO, and their own songs are fantastic, especially Switch. And what a voice! But I guess I'm OT.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:16

DandelionPowderman
And the CDs are here
[www.iorr.org]
I just add a couple of exotic pressings there.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:20

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
Tracklist:

Route 66
Honest I Do
Mona
Little By Little
I'm A King Bee
Carol
Can I Get A Witness
Walking The Dog

My plan was to do all the albums, UK and US.

Very good plan! Keep goin' like this man thumbs up

Posted by: txussilvestre ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:30

Nikkei

Yes, it is, but it is actually strongly inspired in Jimmy Reed's "Shame, Shame, Shame".

Date: May 8, 2015 14:32

The albums will be presented and invite to discussion on Fridays?

2 1 2 0

Date: May 8, 2015 14:33

txussilvestre
Nikkei

Yes, it is, but it is actually strongly inspired in Jimmy Reed's "Shame, Shame, Shame".

Just like with Reed's Fannie Mae. The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man is nothing but a blueprint of that one smiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 14:34

Come On

Yep, if I can keep it up, that is grinning smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Nice! thumbs up

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:39

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Great Idea. And when we finally finish up on discussing ABB, they should be done with the new album. smoking smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 14:42

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Great Idea. And when we finally finish up on discussing ABB, they should be done with the new album. smoking smiley

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home