Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rehearsed songs?
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 19, 2005 20:53

TD sucks these days. Mick, Keith and Ronnie could walk of the stage while this song is being played and you wouldn't even know it. The whole song is carried and taken over by the back up singers and horns. Then the guitar players just pose and screw around.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 19, 2005 21:12

That's just not so. The horns and backup singers are totally appropriate (they're on the original recording, after all) - and the guitars generally ring loud and true even after all these years. Ronnie and Keef always sound very focused and committed. I could listen to this song in concert for an hour and not be bored.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: July 19, 2005 21:16

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually thought All About You worked
> wonderfully on the B2B tour. Better than the album
> version, IMO.

It was great! I must say I actually thought of going to the bathroom when Keith came on to do his two songs. I know, I know ... it's unthinkable for any real fan to go to the bathroom during the show but I had a camel's load of beer and it was 40 degrees in Fort Worth that night. But as soon as I heard Keith introduce ALL ABOUT YOU I freaked ... funny thing, I didn't pee for 2 more hours! So I would love to hear this song again.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: July 19, 2005 21:33

Well,lets just be glad they're rehearsing.....old stuff and new will need rehearsing....but it has to be fun to them or the rehearsal won't work.

The new songs should keep them 'on their toes' so to speak.

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-19 22:35 by Stikkyfinger.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 19, 2005 22:26

I always liked Love is Strong,but it never sounded "right" live. Maybe they'll nail it this time ?

Ian,

You'll have the full album for download at this rate .
See "Live Album Track listing!" thread .

how do you post a link here.I couldn't underline ?

straycatuk - pleased to meet you !

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: July 19, 2005 22:33

straycatuk Wrote:
>
>
> Ian,
>
> You'll have the full album for download at this
> rate .
> See "Live Album Track listing!" thread .
>
> how do you post a link here.I couldn't underline
> ?
>
> straycatuk - pleased to meet you !

Well the more 'teaser' tracks the better, but I think 3 is enough!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-19 22:34 by Stikkyfinger.

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 20, 2005 00:50

They played LOVE IS STRONG last night too, on July 18th, that makes 2 times now.

The email said they would like to try it out again.

That's all he wrote.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 20, 2005 00:53

LIS is a funky little rocker - my problem was w/ the nursery rhyme lyrics.

Date: July 20, 2005 00:57

I hope they include it this time in the alternate Set list, I'd like it every night. You know what they say, Practice makes perfectwinking smiley

Date: July 20, 2005 01:02

never really liked LIS - was just re-tread of KR's Wicked as it Seems (not even as good as that one, IMO). A song that never really went anywhere musically (no "pay off" as they say)...and, as John R points out - amateur lyrics.

Date: July 20, 2005 01:07

There's a pay off, maybe you don't get it, it's one of Keefs favorites too.

Date: July 20, 2005 01:14

i doubt that KR likes it that much - else they'd have played it more than a handful of times the past 10 years...I believe he has some "pull" with this band.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2005 01:19

Lorenz Wrote:
> When we discuss the various setlists and what we
> want to hear we forget the audience the Stones are
> playing for... about 2% are hard core fans, the
> rest is just there because a Stones concert is a
> big event and a great show. They couldn't care
> less about the rare songs, really.
> Many friends joined me to go to the Stones concert
> in Vienna in 2003, none of them had ever heard of
> something like a bootleg. They highly enjoyed the
> show, but thought that CYHMK was boring and they
> started to chat during Keith's set. That's the
> reality. The majority wants to hear the warhorses
> and the Stones know that.
>
> And I don't think we will hear many rare songs
> this time. I think we will hear quite a lot of
> songs from the new album, though. So the setlist
> will be the usual warhorses, maximum one rare song
> and some new songs.

agree with what youre saying, but the reason for that is that the Stones tailor the show for THAT type of audience - ie, the people who come to see one show a tour and are there for the "event" and chance to see a big name - and by charging them the GNP of an African country for even a nosebleed ticket, said people are going to expect a greatest hits set as its the only show they'll see.

Basically, the Stones have ended up getting the type of audience that they deserve for the most part. Vegas for stadiums.

If they played smaller shows with reasonable ticket prices and with easier access to tickets for their hardcore fanbase, theyd basically be able to play what the hell they'd like and we'd love every second of it. Unfortunately, that aint gonna happen, and what 'rarities' you get comprise a relatively small percentage of the set.

I agree that all signs point to more of a 'hits' tour this time around and less variety as they wont be playing too many smaller shows.

Date: July 20, 2005 01:35

Sorry T&A but Keith said himself on one of his Question and Answers that LOVE IS STRONG was one of his favorites, he said in an Interview once that "Mick didn't know how to sing it right." I like both Mick's version (Voodoo Lounge)
and Keefs VOODOO BREW.

Date: July 20, 2005 01:48

well Keith also said Muddy Waters was painting Chess Studios - so we can't trust much of what he says, now can we! :-)

Date: July 20, 2005 01:52

Well guess what T&A, Muddy admitted that he rolled up his sleeves and did that sort of thing and he told the same story Keith did.

Geez!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2005 07:50

not a chance - don't believe everything you hear/read. You only need to understand the dignity with which Muddy conducted his business to know that could never happen. I've read 3 or 4 Muddy bios and feel pretty certain Keith made that story up.

(poster aka T&A)

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 20, 2005 13:15

Why is this tour going to be a hits tour?There not promoting 40 licks,there promoting a new album.It will be like previous album promo tours.

Date: July 20, 2005 17:10

I don't like to keep objecting to the posts on this board but,I consider Love Is Strong to be among the Stones' best songs.It features some of the best harmonica playing on a rock record.The only thing I remember it having in common with Wicked As It Seems is some of the guitar work.What I completely don't understand is how its lyrics are any worse at all than the lyrics of Live With Me for example.Not every song is intended to have a Sympathy type lyric.People also don't like songs like Hold Back with deeper lyrics.It seems like nothing they do is good enough for a lot of people.Voodoo Lounge sounded too old & Bridges To Babylon sounded too modern.Does he have to stick his pen in his heart?Would it satisfy you if he wrote a love song so devine (apparently not because he already has)?I'm starting to understand why Jagger put so much effort into trying to establish a solo career.I think that he was trying to escape the albatross of the Rolling Stones history.Back to Love Is Strong.The '98 live versions which I missed sounded different than the '94 - '95 live versions so I'm hoping they play it at one of the shows I attend.I would like to hear some examples of songs with lyrics that you guys find satisfactory.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: July 20, 2005 17:47

I totally agree with you Theif. Love Is Strong is one of the more incredible tracks of the second half of their career. Great harp, moody, dirty and sexy.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 20, 2005 17:50

Agree with the two of you. I love this song, for me it's up there with the absolute top hits!

Btw, to get back on topic-where are the news about the rehearsed songs?
We have tons of great photos but no news about the songs they played - and that would be far more interesting!

Date: July 20, 2005 18:01

among those reportedly rehearsed recently:

FAE
She's So Cold

the latter would be very interesting to hear afte all these years. Would probably be closer in spirit to the album version as opposed to the lightning pace of the '81/'82 version.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 20, 2005 18:09

Well in my opinion Stones can satisfy both, hardcore fans and casual ones.Half of set should include major gems and other half some of great, a bit obscure album tracks.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 20, 2005 18:20

To me the rhythm of the lyrics is simplistic: da da da / la da da da / da da da de / da da de da And the content is simplistic: Live w/ Me is relatively light in the context of LIB but it IS witty, wry, - this is just vacuous. On the other hand, like I said it is a funky little rocker & I agree about the superb harp & overall performance by the band. Just not enough THERE for a single, especially during the era when grunge or 'alt rock' was at its commercial peak.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 20, 2005 18:41

Theif In The Night. I agree with your post 100 percent. You get a lot of that "they are going through the motions" if they sound like themselves and you get people saying they are being trendy if they do something new. Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I completely agree with your post.

About songs that are being rehearsed all I have heard is the ones that were reported by Shidobee. Seems like the band is trying to make everything more of a surprise for us this time around. Hope someone gets the scope on what they are doing soon.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 20, 2005 18:50

T&A Wrote:
> among those reportedly rehearsed recently:
>
> FAE
>

Maybe I'm a bit slow-minded today. Does FAE stand for Faraway Eyes?? (Far Away Eyes???)

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: July 20, 2005 19:40

She's So Cold has sophomoric lyrics - just bustin' balls.I'd like to add that I think the vocal on LIS conveys a cool confidence as if to say we don't need to get over excited & mumble depressing lyrics like bands such as Nirvana did.The special microphone they used (was it a a harp microphone?) was also a good idea.I wouldn't mind hearing Far Away Eyes or She's So Cold either but I'm really hoping for more '83-'97 songs they haven't done yet onstage + a few that they have.

Date: July 20, 2005 19:52

She's So Cold definitely is sophomoric in its lyrics - but at least its tongue-in-cheek in presentation. LIS is at the other end of the spectrum - it comes across as "serious" about its subject, but the verses are just laughable (you make me hot, you make me weak - pullleeze!). I don't mind so much when the boys are just having fun with a lyric as they do in She's So Cold....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 20, 2005 21:09

T&A Wrote:
> among those reportedly rehearsed recently:
>
> FAE
> She's So Cold
>
> the latter would be very interesting to hear afte
> all these years. Would probably be closer in
> spirit to the album version as opposed to the
> lightning pace of the '81/'82 version.

She´s So Cold is insanely good.
I go see the video at rs.com all the time,
anf I just downloaded ER (never had it until yesterday... !).
Great, great stuff!!! It has a magnetism that no other Stones tune
except Gimme Shelter has. All IMHO.

Date: July 20, 2005 21:29

I can't believe the Stones are rehearsing songs that I've been puttin' signs up for at recent tours, "Love Is Strong" and "She's So Cold"

WOW!

"She's So Cold, She's So Cold,
She'll beat yer Balls off,
She's So Cold."

Those are the lyrics on my cassette! winking smiley I swear!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-20 21:32 by LISMM63.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home