Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rehearsed songs?
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: July 18, 2005 20:53

Does anybody know what they have rehearsed so far.
I know they did ONNYA, SMU, Bitch, GOOMC and GS, but there must have been more.

Re: Rehearsed songs?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 18, 2005 21:23

from what we've been able to decipher from Stonesdoug site's reports they have done very little rehearsing so far. And, I would take with a grain of salt anything that's reported - apparently the rehearsal site isn't very "eavesdropper-friendly" this time. Just as well - although we got some good information last tour that gave us some idea of what to expect - the rarities that were rehearsed and never played in concert made the whole thing a bit of a letdown for some (me anyway - whatever happened to Flight 505?!!).

I think I'd rather not know this time and not be letdown by the end result....

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 18, 2005 21:32

I don't know if they don't have rehearsed so much yet. Or if we suffer of not having Toronto Tom there reporting this time.
Tom did a fantastic "job" in Toronto three years ago.

Date: July 18, 2005 22:01

well I don't Tom would help this time from what others are saying - there's nothing but silence enamating from the school where they're rehearsing.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:28

All of you guys just speculate too much. Whenever I hear wishes such as "You Better Move On", "Flight 505" or "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" I'm asking myself whether these people want to rock or listen to a "second best of the second best" album. Sure, I want to hear songs they haven't done very often but what would a Stones concert be without BS, HTW or JJF?

Finally, the Stones will play the songs they used to do. Warhorses and few specials. They won't play "Winter", "Sway" or "Summer Romance" but "Wild Horses", "IORR" and "SMU". They must please big audiences and a little percentage are hardcore Stones fans as we are!

I think a setlist will be like this (with slight changes):

HTW
IORR
Oh No Not You Again
Get Off Of My Cloud
Tumbling Dice
--- another new song ---
--- a straight rocker such as Crazy Mama or Bitch ---
Wild Horses/Angie
YCAGWYW
Paint It Black
SFM
Sympathy

Keith 1 (Al About You)
Keith 2 (Happy/Before They Make Me Run)

SMU
Midnight Rambler
Gimme Shelter
BS
JJF
Satisfaction

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:34

I already posted a setlist a couple months ago, as have others, but who would have thought they'd ever do Thru & Thru, CYHMK, Moonlight Mile, You Got the Silver, Worried About You, etc? Also the 'Woodstock rehearsals' suggests, w/ Tell Me, CS Blues (incredible!), the Fat Man, etc they likely rehearse some songs for fun or to limber up & limbo down.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:38

The last tour they played lots of songs people thought they would never hear and not just in the theater shows either. When I saw them I got to see them do Lovin Cup and CYHMK, who would have thought they'd play those. Mick also said they would do some songs they have not done in a while and try some that they have never done before.

It also seems to me that the songs Meise mentioned above are not the ones people complain about. Its the songs like You Got Me Rocking or Miss You, that should not be considered their best songs but those seemed to be played more than people would want.

Posted by: wawijr ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:40

i predict YCAGWYW will not be on this tour
Or Midnight rambler

Date: July 18, 2005 22:42

you're right but when I read the setlists of the early Licks Tour I was just amazed. When they came over to Europe thry dropped all the "jewels" and the warhorses remained.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:58

Meise I was too. But I am hoping they continue to change up sets lists. They said it keeps them fresh and they seem to enjoy it so lets keep it rolling. They can still change things up and please all fans, they have enough hits to choose from.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 18, 2005 23:04

Keith 1 (Al About You)
[Meise, from setlist prediction]

No, please, no!

One of my absolute favorites (on my Stones Top 5-list,
often no 1. - everytime I actually play it!) -
but it doesnt seem to work out live.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 18, 2005 23:08

I agree - interesting choice. But too intimate to reproduce live. I remember how dramatic it seemed at the end of ER, so different from the tone of the rest of the album.

Date: July 18, 2005 23:22

well u know for sure we will hear

SMU
HTW
IORR
JJF
BS
SATISFACTION
YGMR

I would like to hear

Shattered
Undercover
All down the line
and i still after 8 shows since 89 have not seen Wild Horses

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 18, 2005 23:34

Wild Horses from the B2B tour is a true hit. They did it one single time (St Louis) and that version really kicks ass.

Date: July 18, 2005 23:56

I actually thought All About You worked wonderfully on the B2B tour. Better than the album version, IMO.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 19, 2005 00:02

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually thought All About You worked
> wonderfully on the B2B tour. Better than the album
> version, IMO.

As a Stones-concert Virgo I cannot know; but I rezlly hope you´re right that it works out.
But "better than the album version", that I humbly & highly doubt.
Hope I´m wrong though.

Date: July 19, 2005 00:27

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> T>
> As a Stones-concert Virgo I cannot know; >
>
>

I didn't realize there were any left! :-)

checkout any of the many great boots from that tour and see watcha think...

Date: July 19, 2005 10:08

Hope I am not misunderstood. I would love to hear "We Had it All" or "You Got the Silver", even "Out of Tears" or "Always Suffering" but I doubt they will do ...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 19, 2005 10:28

Perhaps this time it is just more undercover. Some said they did not hear a lot coming out of the Greenwood school just the bass and drums. I think let's be surprised. That's much more exciting than being deisaapointed when you know therehearsal and they don't play your favourite.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2005 10:52

"Its the songs like You Got Me Rocking or Miss You, that should not be considered their best songs but those seemed to be played more than people would want."

Exactly, "Miss You" is a classic, maybe their most important song in the late seventies, their last 'current' hit, but it seems very rarely to work in live: they never capture the original groove of the song (plus it's way too long). I suppose it's one of Mick's favourites (he did it Live Aid, pro-Nyc concert, and so on). I suggest that dance music is the sort of music Mick really prefers most. But drop it, please.

But then "You Got Me Rocking"... I have never grasped this song, it was a bore in Voodoo, an album filler with a childish refrain; a far cry from "Rocks Off" or "If You can't Rock Me" (that was a second rate copy of the first mentioned) -if you want to play with the word "rock". Some say it works great on audiences, you know, with that stupid sing-along-refrain, but I am not still excited. A sad tone is also that it seems to be the only representative in a setlist from their 90's stuff (or post-Wheels material) - expect for few lame Keef ballads. That speaks volumes of the quality of that era (at least, to their own eyes). So drop it, for God sake!

I am about to add "Tumblin' Dice" to this short this list of "drop outs". But not yet...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-19 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 19, 2005 11:02

When we discuss the various setlists and what we want to hear we forget the audience the Stones are playing for... about 2% are hard core fans, the rest is just there because a Stones concert is a big event and a great show. They couldn't care less about the rare songs, really.
Many friends joined me to go to the Stones concert in Vienna in 2003, none of them had ever heard of something like a bootleg. They highly enjoyed the show, but thought that CYHMK was boring and they started to chat during Keith's set. That's the reality. The majority wants to hear the warhorses and the Stones know that.

And I don't think we will hear many rare songs this time. I think we will hear quite a lot of songs from the new album, though. So the setlist will be the usual warhorses, maximum one rare song and some new songs.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2005 11:42

"Many friends joined me to go to the Stones concert in Vienna in 2003, none of them had ever heard of something like a bootleg. They highly enjoyed the show, but thought that CYHMK was boring and they started to chat during Keith's set."

Hmm, I have opposite experiences: I brought one of my friends to first Glasgow concert to "experience" once in a life time a Stones show. He liked the concert, but was extremily and positively surprised of CYHMK and of Keith's set because that was something he wasn't expecting beforehand. "Do they really do things like that, too"? "Oh yeah, my Stones can do anything..."

But what you say Lorenz holds on. The Stones don't play for the hard core fans, but for the big masses. There is their bread. Sometimes they are perhaps too conservative to take riskies. I think Jagger was sincere when he said that he was surprised that the people know the lyrics to "Shine A light" when they played it in 1995 (well, that was a theatre show, but anyway).

- Doxa

Date: July 19, 2005 13:25

@Doxa: they played "Shine A Light" also in some stadiums in 1995. I remember them playing this song in Berlin stdium in 1995 ...

I mean this is some of the tiny highlights we all have experienced throughout the years. What about "2000 Light Years From Home" in 1989/90?
What about other extras?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 19, 2005 13:34

T&A Wrote:
> I actually thought All About You worked
> wonderfully on the B2B tour. Better than the album
> version, IMO.

I agree. I heard it live three times in 1997, and it was one of the highlights along with Little Queenie and Out Of Control.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:28

Doxa,

A similar experience for me...

I took a non-stones fan to Stade de France and his highlights were Slipping Away and Red Rooster. He only owns the greatest hits recordings (Hot Rocks & Jumpback) so I guess could be considered a tourist.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:33

Well, perhaps I should add that the people I brought to the concert were not very interested in music. You know, if you ask them what kind of music they like they say, "Oh, a lot really, cannot define it clearer". So for them it was a huge event and they were of course happy they new some songs. But what I want to say is that a Stones concert is more a big event for a majority of the people, not the music is not so important, unfortunately.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: July 19, 2005 17:57

Doxa:

I was totally with you until you mentioned TD - my all-time fave live song....

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 19, 2005 18:40

They rehearsed LOVE IS STRONG the other night too.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Date: July 19, 2005 18:50

never liked LIS....they can do much better than that.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 19, 2005 20:15

Tumbling Dice is still acceptable because of its easy pace. A good one to change the tone after some rockers. But it's the usual rockers that bore the **** out of me. BS, JJF, SMU. I'd far prefer Miss You to those. It's more of a journey. It deveplops.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home