Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones Mono Albums
Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 10:57

Hi i was having a think and was wondering were the original mono releases ever released on cd? or did they only release all the stereo albums?

Thanks

Re: Stones Mono Albums
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 2, 2015 11:30

Without going too detailed you can say that the first lp`s in mono were released in mono on cd.
Aftermath, Between The Buttons ,Big Hits,Satanic, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were released in mono and stereo on vinyl at the time, but as far as I know the mono versions were never rereleased on vinyl or cd. There are some bootlegs around , but I`m not sure if these bootlegs contain the original mono mix of these lp`s or just a fold down.
The british Let It Bleed with the boxed Decca emblem in 1970 was the last mono pressing of these stereo lp`s.

Tom

Date: May 2, 2015 11:41

electricmud
Without going too detailed you can say that the first lp`s in mono were released in mono on cd.
Aftermath, Between The Buttons ,Big Hits,Satanic, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were released in mono and stereo on vinyl at the time, but as far as I know the mono versions were never rereleased on vinyl or cd. There are some bootlegs around , but I`m not sure if these bootlegs contain the original mono mix of these lp`s or just a fold down.
The british Let It Bleed with the boxed Decca emblem in 1970 was the last mono pressing of these stereo lp`s.

Tom

yeah i can't seem to find them i have the let it bleed mono but i'm after from 12x8 to beggars on mono although was beggars released in mono?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 2, 2015 12:09

I've always understood that Beggars (with the exception of SFTD) and Let It Bleed were fold-downs.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 2, 2015 12:19

Deltics
I've always understood that Beggars (with the exception of SFTD) and Let It Bleed were fold-downs.

ahhh i see kinda makes sense then with them 2

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 2, 2015 12:28

philrock90
Deltics

ahhh i see kinda makes sense then with them 2

Although the version of "Street Fighting Man" issued in the US as a single was a dedicated mono mix.

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 2, 2015 12:28

Deltics

Understood it the same way. Musically Aftermath and Between The Buttons are worth to have. I love the powerful mono mix (no fold down). Much more enjoyable than the wide stereo mix.
From a collector`s view Beggars and especially Let It Bleed are the hardest and most expensive to get.

Tom

Date: May 2, 2015 12:30

The SF US mono promo is excellent.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 2, 2015 14:01

The first UK Satanic Majesties was a dedicated mono mix, after that, for some strange reason they reverted to a fold down.

Maybe the mono master was sent overseas and they couldn't get it back in time for the next pressing.

Hopefully one day we will get a mono Stones CD box, like the Dylan, Kinks, Beatles sets.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:14

in the box set vinyl from 2010 they rereleased the albums in mono (including the EPs) up to OOOH in mono.

After that it's switched to stereo.

I have all the original DECCA mono's with the exception of LIB...that's a bit of a king's ransom for a good copy.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:24

I thought the US MONO mix was considered the best among collectors for Satanic but I don't know, just what I read awhile back....they claimed it is definitely different. I have both but have never sit down and listened to them side by side...

Date: May 2, 2015 15:25

i have let it bleed mono original pressing... i still need to find a aftermath mono to maybe download if anyone can help?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:33

philrock90
i have let it bleed mono original pressing... i still need to find a aftermath mono to maybe download if anyone can help?

Hi Phil, do you mind my asking, do you have the 'complete' package with poster and stickered album cover? Is the word DECCA in a box or open letters on the label?

Date: May 2, 2015 15:38

treaclefingers
philrock90

Hi Phil, do you mind my asking, do you have the 'complete' package with poster and stickered album cover? Is the word DECCA in a box or open letters on the label?

nope i don't have the poster or sticker on the album Decca is in a box it has the original pink inner with the hole on the back to show if its mono or stereo

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:40

I've got all their albums in mono up to Let it Bleed from torrent sites, all vinyl rips from 1st UK pressings, they are all in my IPod up to Satanic which is the last one worth to have, Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are much better in stereo.

Date: May 2, 2015 15:44

georgelicks
I've got all their albums in mono up to Let it Bleed from torrent sites, all vinyl rips from 1st UK pressings, they are all in my IPod up to Satanic which is the last one worth to have, Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are much better in stereo.

hi do you have a link to these?

thanks

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:45

Wow. I now know all of them mono Stones albums I have packed away are worth something beside nostalgic value. I used to buy all albums in mono (Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Sinatra - always a fan of his), if I could, when vinyl reigned, as I preferred mono over what passed for stereo back then.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:33

It is a shame they didn't release the Mono pressing of Sticky Fingers with the Deluxe box set.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:33

Re the UK mono Satanic, you have to check the matrix numbers to see whether it is the original mono or the foldown mix. Basically if there is a "T2" in the matrix number, you have the foldown mix, no "T2" and you have the original mono. In the original mono mix, the percussion in "Sing All This Together" seems to be higher in the mix, and the bell tolling before "The Lantern" - in the original mono mix it tolls three times before the music starts, but only twice in all other mixes. Lord knows why...

As for Let It Bleed - that came out at around the time Decca were changing from boxed to unboxed labels for LPs, so you can get early pressings with a boxed label and later pressings with unboxed and vice versa. A good indication is the inner sleeve - first ones credit the London Bach Choir, the second one has this credit blacked out and later ones have this credit removed altogether. Decca may have been producing all these at the same time? For example, I have a boxed mono LIB with the credit, a stereo boxed with a blacked out inner sleeve and a stereo unboxed, with a stickered sleeve, poster and no-credit inner!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 17:35 by martinw.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:54

martinw
Re the UK mono Satanic, you have to check the matrix numbers to see whether it is the original mono or the foldown mix. Basically if there is a "T2" in the matrix number, you have the foldown mix, no "T2" and you have the original mono. In the original mono mix, the percussion in "Sing All This Together" seems to be higher in the mix, and the bell tolling before "The Lantern" - in the original mono mix it tolls three times before the music starts, but only twice in all other mixes. Lord knows why...

Wow, never knew that. Where did you get the information about the "T2" = folddown mix? Or is it your own observation? Very interesting.

Tom

Date: May 2, 2015 18:08

philrock90
georgelicks

thanks

Drop me an email, I can send you the links to download them.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:37

DandelionPowderman
The SF US mono promo is excellent.

Folddown...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:40

whitem8
It is a shame they didn't release the Mono pressing of Sticky Fingers with the Deluxe box set.

Why? It's a folddown from the stereo mix. Nothing is different except that it's the two signals combined into one.

Date: May 2, 2015 19:48

georgelicks
philrock90
georgelicks

thanks

Emailed buddy

Date: May 2, 2015 20:13

philrock90
georgelicks
philrock90
georgelicks

thanks

Emailed buddy

Sorry, drop me a new one to the new email, the last one doensn't work.

Date: May 2, 2015 20:47

georgelicks
philrock90
georgelicks
philrock90
georgelicks

thanks

Emailed buddy

Sorry, drop me a new one to the new email, the last one doensn't work.

done

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 21:01

Blueranger
whitem8

Why? It's a folddown from the stereo mix. Nothing is different except that it's the two signals combined into one.

Wow, I always thought and heard it was a different mix, combined with the rarity of the mono WLP, hence the high price tag. Been searching for a copy or at least the audio for years.

Is there a sample of the audio anywhere aside from the 45 of Brown Sugar?

In all my years, the only different mono mix I ever heard was the Mono Sympathy for the UK Beggars, and No Expectations from the 45

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 2, 2015 21:10

Well. maybe my ears are just not smart enough to know but the Promo SF KICKS ASS..especially "Knockin"...it just smokes..leaving the stereo version in the dust as much as the LP Stereo "Tumbling Dice" cannot compete with the 45 MONO release.

Date: May 2, 2015 21:28

scottkeef
Well. maybe my ears are just not smart enough to know but the Promo SF KICKS ASS..especially "Knockin"...it just smokes..leaving the stereo version in the dust as much as the LP Stereo "Tumbling Dice" cannot compete with the 45 MONO release.

tumblin dice mono wow not heard that one

Date: May 2, 2015 22:37

scottkeef

The whole SF was a joy to listen to in mono. Surprisingly great.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home