Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ya Ya's Overdubbing
Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 02:44

Can anyone tell me how much overdubbing was done???

Re: Ya Ya's Overdubbing
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 30, 2015 03:22

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: MSG 11/28/69 1st, Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed.

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: Baltimore 11/26/69, no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: MSG 11/28/69 2nd, no overdubs.

6. Sympathy for the Devil: MSG 11/28/69 1st. Verse #4 is edited out.

7. Live With Me: Music MSG 11/28/69 2nd, vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed.

9. Honky Tonk Women: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed.

Edit: Found in this link. Along with more overdub info.
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 03:25 by MingSubu.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 30, 2015 03:32

The infos above are from rollingstonesnet.com
Link : [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 03:46

It amazes (and annoys) me how people assume this recording is full of instrumental overdubs, and how that assumption is constantly repeated, implying the whole recording is a recreated, artificial piece of fakery. There are virtually no instrumental overdubs. Yes on the vocals. But it's the band that grooves so well on this, and this is an accurate reflection of their playing in '69. And how about Rambler and Sympathy: not a dub to be found.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 30, 2015 04:09

Actually, according to the link given above, there are more overdubs and edits on Jagger banters between the songs than on the songs themselves.

Date: April 30, 2015 08:55

SCB is from NYC, not Baltimore.

LQ and C have Keith rhythm guitar overdubs. Taylor's tracks are (partially) wiped.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 30, 2015 09:44

The famous phrase 'watch it!' after the opening Riff of Jumpin' jack flash was probably dubbed in from the Rock'n'Roll Circus recording.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 30, 2015 10:36

DandelionPowderman
SCB is from NYC, not Baltimore.

LQ and C have Keith rhythm guitar overdubs. Taylor's tracks are (partially) wiped.

And part of Keith's rhythm guitar on Stray Cat is overdubbed.

Mathijs

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 30, 2015 11:44

As far as I know Taylor didn't do any overdubs. In that case he's a one take guy then.

Date: April 30, 2015 11:48

LuxuryStones
As far as I know Taylor didn't do any overdubs. In that case he's a one take guy then.

He was the only guitarist who had to get some of his tracks replaced, though. Make of it what you wish...

Date: April 30, 2015 11:55

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

He was the only guitarist who had to get some of his tracks replaced, though. Make of it what you wish...

I wish nothing.smiling smiley

According to our pundit Mathijs even Richards has done an overdub on SCB I read.

Date: April 30, 2015 12:01

saltoftheearth
The famous phrase 'watch it!' after the opening Riff of Jumpin' jack flash was probably dubbed in from the Rock'n'Roll Circus recording.

It's not. It's from MSG.

Mathijs

Date: April 30, 2015 12:02

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

According to our pundit Mathijs even Richards has done an overdub on SCB I read.

Yep, when they go into the chorus, the 'oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat' bit.

Mathijs

Date: April 30, 2015 12:30

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

So? That's still one less than the two extended ones he had to do for Taylor smoking smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 12:33

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

So? That's still one less than the two extended ones he had to do for Taylor smoking smiley

Can you post the originals with Taylor? See if I agree with Richards.>grinning smiley<

No joking, Lou Reed's Rock& Roll Animal had no overdubs at all, that's quite an achievement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 14:09 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 30, 2015 14:41

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Can you post the originals with Taylor? See if I agree with Richards.>grinning smiley<

No joking, Lou Reed's Rock& Roll Animal had no overdubs at all, that's quite an achievement.

Jagger and Richards still were in studio modus when working on YaYa's. They shouldn't have done any overdub at all. It weakens the record and makes it fake live for a great deal, especially as for the vocals (which is very well audible too).

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 30, 2015 15:53

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Jagger and Richards still were in studio modus when working on YaYa's. They shouldn't have done any overdub at all. It weakens the record and makes it fake live for a great deal, especially as for the vocals (which is very well audible too).

The reason why I don't rate the record high as most people do. It's fake live.
Kind of weird so many people still belive it's the ultimate live record...

Date: April 30, 2015 16:14

Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

It's probably because most of us have heard the tracks without the vocal overdubs, and know that it was just as good without them smiling smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 16:22

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

It's probably because most of us have heard the tracks without the vocal overdubs, and know that it was just as good without them smiling smiley

Even better without any overdubs at all.

Date: April 30, 2015 16:25

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

In fairness, there were some clashes on Little Queenie.

Date: April 30, 2015 16:31

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

In fairness, there were some clashes on Little Queenie.

That's all in the game, and they could have used another performance, like LIV is from Baltimore (SFM would be more apt now btw).

Date: April 30, 2015 17:35

Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

It's not fake live. Not at all. But in 1969 concert technology wasn't what it is now so there are technical glitches here and there, and the band played (and Jagger sang!) quite out of tune for quite some tracks.

I am sure the released tracks are the best of the best, even if these needed touching up as well. Of the other tracks we have recorded professionally there's more wrong -JJF from Gimme Shelter movie has Taylor very much out of tune, Satisfaction from GS is spliced from two gigs as Richards was horribly out of tune. The Carol outtake has again Richards terribly out of tune.

Mathijs

Date: April 30, 2015 17:50

Mathijs
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

It's not fake live. Not at all. But in 1969 concert technology wasn't what it is now so there are technical glitches here and there, and the band played (and Jagger sang!) quite out of tune for quite some tracks.

I am sure the released tracks are the best of the best, even if these needed touching up as well. Of the other tracks we have recorded professionally there's more wrong -JJF from Gimme Shelter movie has Taylor very much out of tune, Satisfaction from GS is spliced from two gigs as Richards was horribly out of tune. The Carol outtake has again Richards terribly out of tune.

Mathijs

As far as JJF from GS concerned: Taylor is slightly out of tune and 99.9% of the listeners wouldn't even hear it, nor is it annoying at all. The sound quality on YaYa would have been of course much better. But concerts are no studio recordings and it's not classical music either. It's rock and roll and it's all about the playing. For annoying out of tune: listen to the Miami Festival boot from the 1969.

Date: April 30, 2015 17:54

kleermaker
Mathijs
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Mathijs

As far as JJF from GS concerned: Taylor is slightly out of tune and 99.9% of the listeners wouldn't even hear it, nor is it annoying at all. The sound quality on YaYa would have been of course much better. But concerts are no studio recordings and it's not classical music either. It's rock and roll and it's all about the playing. For annoying out of tune: listen to the Miami Festival boot from the 1969.

Or Hyde Park... eye popping smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 18:17

kleermaker

Pfffff.....

Mathijs

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 30, 2015 18:42

Keith's solo on Sympathy is IMO the best guitar solo of any rock and roll performance. Ever.

Nothing makes me reach for my air guitar faster.

100% authentic.

Date: April 30, 2015 18:52

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Mathijs
Dreamer
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Mathijs

Or Hyde Park... eye popping smiley

Still HP is a gig I listen to regularly. And it's not even in soundboard quality.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 30, 2015 19:05

At that time also, I don't think they had the techs behind the stage yet to tune their guitars and hand them a fresh one if needed. They probably tuned by ear in between songs (if they could hear it - no pun). So being out of tune may be considered as rock and roll, but it's also just a consequence of the lack of techs and/or electronic tuners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 19:06 by Koen.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 19:22

MingSubu

[www.iorr.org]

Who cares????!!

Date: April 30, 2015 19:33

alhavu1
MingSubu

[www.iorr.org]

Who cares????!!

I do. Too many vocals overdubbed to call it really 'live'. It's a mix of live and studio. Alas, but true. Still a great album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2235
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home