Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ya Ya's Overdubbing
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2015 19:56

this topic pops up once and awhile-this overdub,that overdub.who gives a shit,it's the best live rock and roll record ever made.

then of course you get the list of "well you know record X has NO OVERDUBS ON IT" as if we're in school taking an overdub test and the stones cheated,nevermind that record X always sucks compared to ya ya's.

if you want the raw live sound just find bootlegs from 69,i think you'll find the same sound with a guitar going out of tune or an occasional microphone squeal.

i guess they could've just hid out in the studio and saved themselves the trouble but that isnt the rolling stones now,is it?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 30, 2015 20:06

DandelionPowderman

In fairness, there were some clashes on Little Queenie.

Where?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 30, 2015 20:13

I am a purist and hate live albums that have overdubs but GYYYO still sounds fantastic and it is as close as we will ever get to a professionally recorded live album from the 69 tour unless some of the raw tapes from the tour we know are still in the vault are released someday.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 1, 2015 01:15

"Paint It, Black', 'Paint It, Black', you devil"...was taken from Flashpoint>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: May 1, 2015 01:49

Thanks for the feedback guys. When it comes down to it the only ones who would know are those involved. Still one of the greatset Stones moments imo.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 1, 2015 01:53

jaggered1
Thanks for the feedback guys. When it comes down to it the only ones who would know are those involved. Still one of the greatset Stones moments imo.
Actually, that's not true. We know exactly what happened thanks to ChrisM's great work at rollingstones.net

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 1, 2015 03:30

lem motlow
this topic pops up once and awhile-this overdub,that overdub.who gives a shit,it's the best live rock and roll record ever made.

then of course you get the list of "well you know record X has NO OVERDUBS ON IT" as if we're in school taking an overdub test and the stones cheated,nevermind that record X always sucks compared to ya ya's.

if you want the raw live sound just find bootlegs from 69,i think you'll find the same sound with a guitar going out of tune or an occasional microphone squeal.

i guess they could've just hid out in the studio and saved themselves the trouble but that isnt the rolling stones now,is it?

Absolutely agree with you. This whole nitpicking about overdubs/raw live/authenticity concerning YaYas is total rubbish. It's a fantastic rock'n'roll album, inspired me to pick up my guitar and learn each and every lick. Back then, I did not know anything about "overdubbing live recordings". I took the album for what it was, and I thought it was fantastic. 45 years later, I still think the same.

It's a fine representation of their 1969 live sound, and it's not that the overdubs change the whole thing into something that had nothing to do with the 1969 tour. They were done to correct less than satisfactory passages for an official live album, not more, nothing less.

Hell, it's not that in studio recordings, you hear the entire band playing live at the same time without any overdubs. Even on their first album, you hear overdubs like percussive handclaps, tambourines, marracas etc. The development of multitrack recording possibilities (2 track, 4 track, 8 track, 16 track, 24 track and so on) brought more and more possibilites to the recording of music, and who really cares as long as the final result is great?

Anybody out there complaining that, for example, Brown Sugar was basically recorded in 1969, and at least the sax solo and lead vocals were overdubbed later?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-01 03:46 by alimente.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 1, 2015 04:02

Got to hear a audience bootleg of the Baltimore show. Love In Vain was not overdubbed in any way. I even synced the audience bootleg recording with the Ya Yas version, and it's a perfect match. Makes it all the more amazing.

So that's cool.

A Guideline on Ya Yas vocal overdubs: if you hear Keith singing backup, it's an overdub as he mostly didn't do that on those shows. Here and there, yes. But mostly no.

As to the question of why they also dubbed MJs vocals when they added Keith's, I dunno. Maybe it was a technical limitation of the time.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 1, 2015 18:00

alimente

Anybody out there complaining that, for example, Brown Sugar was basically recorded in 1969, and at least the sax solo and lead vocals were overdubbed later?

That's the weakest argument possible. Because you're talking about a studio song here (BS) and the discussion is about the realness of a live recording. If you don't see the difference and say: "Well, as long as it all sounds good", then that's the end of the discussion. But in my simple opinion overdubs aren't allowed on a live album. And if so, don't call it 'live'.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 1, 2015 18:18

kleermaker
alimente

That's the weakest argument possible. Because you're talking about a studio song here (BS) and the discussion is about the realness of a live recording. If you don't see the difference and say: "Well, as long as it all sounds good", then that's the end of the discussion. But in my simple opinion overdubs aren't allowed on a live album. And if so, don't call it 'live'.

Yes that what it's about. The charm of a studio song is the fact that you can witness and analyze all their creative, musical and technical possibilities. Live you can witness their energetic performance and their musical capabilities which should be kept like they are imo.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 1, 2015 21:15

Reagan
Got to hear a audience bootleg of the Baltimore show. Love In Vain was not overdubbed in any way. I even synced the audience bootleg recording with the Ya Yas version, and it's a perfect match. Makes it all the more amazing.

So that's cool.

A Guideline on Ya Yas vocal overdubs: if you hear Keith singing backup, it's an overdub as he mostly didn't do that on those shows. Here and there, yes. But mostly no.

As to the question of why they also dubbed MJs vocals when they added Keith's, I dunno. Maybe it was a technical limitation of the time.

Keith only sang on Honky Tonk Women, right?

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: May 1, 2015 22:07

No one cares

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 1, 2015 22:10

alhavu1
No one cares

I don't care..............

Date: May 1, 2015 22:27

Me neither

Date: May 1, 2015 22:34

Fixing a few glitches and dubbing some vocals is ok by me.

Date: May 1, 2015 22:46

OK

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 1, 2015 23:01

Case closed...........next one please........grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 1, 2015 23:08

NICOS
Case closed...........next one please........grinning smiley

What about Taylor vs. Wood?

O well, old hat, Taylor has won by a mile. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1252
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home