Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

REAL live recordings???
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 25, 2015 22:54

I know that there has been much discussion about overdubs on Rolling Stones live tracks etc. – but:
Have the Stones ever released a real live recording, i.e. a song that has been recorded live and that has not re-worked, over-dubbed or re-mixed or otherwise altered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 22:54 by slewan.

Re: REAL live recordings???
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 25, 2015 23:07

Rock And Roll Circus?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 25, 2015 23:08

Doing a televised concert equals releasing, right? those are most likely not overdubbed. I favor the release-quality Glastonbury show to the Hyde Park concert, which feels kind of hollow due to heavy editing.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 25, 2015 23:12

Got Live if you Want it EP sounds pretty raw !

Live 65 cd from Charlie is my Darling

Shine a light ?

and probably most of the Archive releases.

sc uk

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 25, 2015 23:14

The mix of Shine a Light is active at such a sophisticated Level that it barely feels live anymore. While it probably is.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 25, 2015 23:15

Live at the BBC?

Date: April 25, 2015 23:25

Camden Theatre 1964
GLIYWI EP
Tokyo 1990
Light The Fuse
The Brussels Affair
Charlie Is My Darling
Live In Texas
Live At Roundhay Park (Leeds)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 00:36

There are some tracks on the official live albums that haven't been overdubbed (and perhaps not even edited). Whether it was a 2 track mix or multi-track recording I don't know. But what DandelionPowderman said looks pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 00:36 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 26, 2015 00:46

A true live recording, imo, would be recorded from somewhere in the hall with a single or pair of stereo microphones. Many bootleg audience recordings are done this way, some are taken from the FOH stereo mix bus. Most all other "live" recordings released by most artists have some either addition mixing or post production work done.

When top acts like the Stones are recording a performance for live release these days they usually have huge separate multi-track recorders recording all the instruments, vocals, effects and audience noise. Then then take those and make a "live" performance" mix. They don't use the house mix because it is optimized for the venue acoustics and often not perfect for a playback environment.

I helped record an Elton John concert in 1997 and we had 2-48 track recorders and a separate 8 track recorder taking split signals from every source in order to catch it all so someone could go back and mix it later. 104 Tracks!

peace

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 01:37

I don't mind the multi-tracking for live recordings, because sometimes a live mix can sound wonky. Or just bad.

Shitty editing, however, is the second biggest offense (behind overdubs, of course).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 26, 2015 04:37

GasLightStreet
I don't mind the multi-tracking for live recordings, because sometimes a live mix can sound wonky. Or just bad.

Agree. Lots of times when mixing bands with loud guitar amps in small or medium sized venues, the guitars are mixed low into the PA to get the right blend for the audience therefore a live recording from the board will sound bad because there isn't enough guitar.

peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 26, 2015 05:48

Listen to the audio from the dvds Saitama Japan of the PPV from Newark. Pure with no overdubs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home