Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Flatbed Truck "Brown Sugar" - Complete 8-Minute Recording
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 25, 2015 19:24

40 years ago this Friday.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 19:29 by tatters.

Re: Flatbed Truck "Brown Sugar" - Complete 8-Minute Recording
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 25, 2015 19:49

Thanks for the link, great document!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 25, 2015 20:09

Interesting, if you listen to the commentary at the very end, is that it was not until this moment that anyone (not even the in-the-know New York DJs) knew for sure who would be replacing Mick Taylor.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2015 20:18

video: [www.youtube.com]

I think it was Charlie's idea... Mick

Date: April 25, 2015 20:44

MisterDDDD
video: [www.youtube.com]

I think it was Charlie's idea... Mick

That sounds like the Love You Live version in the video, not the actual flatbed truck audio from May 1, 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 20:46 by tatters.

Date: April 25, 2015 20:46

This video uses the actual flatbed truck audio.

[youtu.be]

Were people really already waiting in line to buy tickets at the precise moment the Stones were playing on Fifth Avenue? The news report makes it seem that way. I wonder where the hell I was while all this was going on. Probably 20 miles away in a high school classroom on Long Island. One of those moments that makes me wish I was just a little older.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 20:51 by tatters.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 25, 2015 22:19

Love this so much. I can't imagine what it'd be like to just be walking nearby and have that happen. Moments like this just don't happen anymore. Now we get podcast tour announcements.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 26, 2015 02:22

@#$%& brilliant.

How the hell did they get OUT of there?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 26, 2015 03:01

It was raining? Im glad they didnt get electrocuted.

I would love to own that large eagle backdrop/billboard from the truck, that is awesome.
I see it and I salivate like pavlov's dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 03:05 by Leonioid.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 26, 2015 03:08

Interesting that Mick chose to use the very seldom used live "whip the women" lyric.

Date: April 26, 2015 08:24

Kurt
@#$%& brilliant.

How the hell did they get OUT of there?

The truck took them one block south to Washington Square Park where they jumped into waiting limousines.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 26, 2015 11:19

DAMN! They're good!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 11:39

I want pics of them leaving the truck for the limos!

Date: April 26, 2015 11:50

ONe of the best version ever ever ever. Some of Micks best vocals. Some of the best proof of how important Preston was. I wanna be in the Rolling Stones 1975.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: April 26, 2015 12:24

Honorable mention. The 1975 Flatbed "Brown Sugar" probably inspired by AC/DC to film their flatbed "It's A Long Way To The Top" in 1976 down Swanston Street, Melbourne, Australia. Both awesome publicity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 12:24 by muffie.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: April 26, 2015 18:02

jazzbass
Interesting that Mick chose to use the very seldom used live "whip the women" lyric.

I was going to ask about that.

Even at Altamont, first public performance of the song, he sang "you should have heard him" instead of "hear him whip the women."

By 1975, they'd sung "Brown Sugar" perhaps 100 times in concerts or performances, and even more counting rehearsals and sound checks, and all or virtually all of the times, it was "you should have heard him." I don't think I've ever heard a live "whip the women" version (naturally I could be wrong).

So singing "whip the women" wasn't a careless slip. What was going on - was Mick trying to foreshadow the "Black and Blue" campaign they'd do the following year?

Is there an online live (not lip-synched) version with the "whip the women" lyric?

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: April 26, 2015 19:04

He sung "whip the women" in Philadelphia in 1972. Boot is or was on youtube.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: April 26, 2015 21:20

onlystones

I've found a couple Philadelphia 1972 boots on youtube, one clearly labeled July 20, the other labeled July 20/21.

In the July 20 version, it's definitely not "whip the women." They did two July 21 shows, and maybe he sang the rarer lyric in one or both of those shows. But I can't find it.

I understand him making the song more politically correct. I'm surprised though that Mick did so in its first live performance, then allowed the single and album to be released with the more incendiary lyric, then seemingly never, except for lip synching and the flatbed, using the studio wording when performing that song.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2015 21:35

Got they sounded great. Part of it was probably adrenaline, and knowing they could pack it all into one song.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 27, 2015 00:35

tatters
This video uses the actual flatbed truck audio.

[youtu.be]

Were people really already waiting in line to buy tickets at the precise moment the Stones were playing on Fifth Avenue? The news report makes it seem that way. I wonder where the hell I was while all this was going on. Probably 20 miles away in a high school classroom on Long Island. One of those moments that makes me wish I was just a little older.

Yes. I was at college at Stony Brook, a rabid Stones fan having seen them 3 years earlier. By the time I heard about it, shortly after noon, the 6 dates at MSG were sold out (in the days when sold out meant they actually sold all the tickets, not just the current allocation). (I managed to get one for the MSG opener). Thing is . . . you don't really wish you were older. I would trade you that show for the years.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 27, 2015 04:09

dgiorr
onlystones

I've found a couple Philadelphia 1972 boots on youtube, one clearly labeled July 20, the other labeled July 20/21.

In the July 20 version, it's definitely not "whip the women." They did two July 21 shows, and maybe he sang the rarer lyric in one or both of those shows. But I can't find it.

I understand him making the song more politically correct. I'm surprised though that Mick did so in its first live performance, then allowed the single and album to be released with the more incendiary lyric, then seemingly never, except for lip synching and the flatbed, using the studio wording when performing that song.

He sings the line for the 9/23/70 Paris show and Leeds '71 as well.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 27, 2015 04:53

Redhotcarpet
ONe of the best version ever ever ever. Some of Micks best vocals. Some of the best proof of how important Preston was. I wanna be in the Rolling Stones 1975.

Thanks. I thought it sounded a lot like Nicky Hopkins but you know more than me. Billy Preston is very prominent in this capture

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 27, 2015 09:48

That was great fun to listen to - thanks for posting it.
I love the Rolling Stones

Date: April 27, 2015 10:12

By the way, if any of you youngsters out there want to know how to pose (you wont get it right of course, sorry) - study one mr Keith Richards on that flatbed truck. And study Jagger. As a performance it doesnt get any better (after Brian...) . Richards hardly moves at all, he doesnt have to - you cant help but watch him. The other guy prances around and just...Jaggers. And you have to watch him too and listen to his awesome vocals. Must be the best sung Brown Sugar ever. Like some exorcism on a moving bed in NYC.

Date: April 27, 2015 10:34

Jah Paul
dgiorr
onlystones

He sings the line for the 9/23/70 Paris show and Leeds '71 as well.

Date: April 27, 2015 10:37

"Whip the women" was Pittsburgh 1972. sorry about the mistake its on you tube im listening right now

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 28, 2015 01:49

I knew about Paris '1970. It was the only version I was aware of prior to seeing this clip on the flatbed. So, additionally Leeds '71 and Pittsburgh 1972.

Is that all? Was the flat bed the last time he used the "whip the women" lyric?

I understand that it is a politically incorrect lyric to sing, but poetic license should apply and prevail. (no more offensive that Stray Cat Blues underage reference) So the question is why does he change the lyric in concert 99.9% of the time when it can be heard all over the world daily on the radio in its original form? If he and/or the Stones were overly concerned way back when they would've cut a studio version with the pc lyric.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 28, 2015 02:50

jazzbass
I knew about Paris '1970. It was the only version I was aware of prior to seeing this clip on the flatbed. So, additionally Leeds '71 and Pittsburgh 1972.

Is that all? Was the flat bed the last time he used the "whip the women" lyric?

I understand that it is a politically incorrect lyric to sing, but poetic license should apply and prevail. (no more offensive that Stray Cat Blues underage reference) So the question is why does he change the lyric in concert 99.9% of the time when it can be heard all over the world daily on the radio in its original form? If he and/or the Stones were overly concerned way back when they would've cut a studio version with the pc lyric.

Came across a couple of more from '75...Baton Rouge 6/1 (1st show he sings it, but not at 2nd show)...also MSG 6/27.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:56

outrageous fun!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 30, 2015 04:11

All around brilliant, music, promotional and entertainment-wise.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home