Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: "Best" JJF ever?
Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 21, 2015 13:39

Studio version is hands down the best EVER imo. Perfection on all levels.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 21, 2015 15:52

pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

Date: April 21, 2015 15:58

IMO, this song is all about the very dangerous atmosphere Keith's guitars create, combined with Mick's vocals.

They haven't been able to re-create that dark magic ever since, with a few exceptions. Rock'N'Roll Circus is one them.

Without a proper "it's aaaaaall riiiiight", the song more or less falls flat, imo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:14

MartinB
Strangely, the version with Aretha Franklin is very good.

Agreed. It has a nice groove and is the only alternative version of JJF. All the others sounds appoximately the same. It's a bit silly thinking this or that version is better than the other.
There is very little variation between them. Except for this one with Aretha then. A nice breath of fresh air.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:28

So many are great but I love the St. Louis Babylon Tour pay for view version…great tempo and powerful, raw...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:34

Like the original poster said, there's no way to chose a favorite.
I do like it as an opener for concerts. The inevitable tension before the show is radically
blown away by Keith, like an orgasm freeing all energy from the crowd.

And yeah, the studio version definitely is one of the best rock songs ever recorded.
It can't be beaten, by anything.

One minor point that bugs me in the later versions: I can't think of a reason why Ronnie
is playing the "high pitched riff" right from the beginning of the song. I think it would
be better to keep his powders dry until the last verse.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-21 16:43 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 21, 2015 17:08

Love how they play it since 2012, though the 2006 versions are pretty good.
My favorite live recording is Hyde Park 2013. And it was a great opener at Glastonbury and most of the 2014 shows! It's definitely a crowd favorite.

Not good are the Licks-Versions imho (maybe the reason why it wasn't on Live Licks)

B2B Tour was good, though I don't really like brass in that song.

Was suprised most of you don't like the modern versions. I think the song has grown more and more live since the recording, and the recording sounds boring to me - compared to all the great live versions.

The thing I love most is how Mick sings now the It's all right. The crowd, Lisa and Bernard do the backing vocals with the long 'aaaaaaaaaaal riiiiiight' and Mick sings on top of it. Just great thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-21 17:10 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 21, 2015 19:06

Nothing beats studio release imo. The 69 tour opener was also a great rendition because the tempo wasn't so fast and was it was tighter. Just my 2 cents. Still get goose bumps when I hear that studio version intro at volume.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 19:45

Altamont 69, slow version and so great...i hope one day i can found it in sounboard...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 21, 2015 21:12

I gotta ask. You who say that one of the modern day versions is the best or among the best. Is that because you attended or are you employed by Mick? grinning smiley

The best live versions are of course from 1972, 1973, 1969 and possibly, if shortened and edited, 1981 (thanks to the backup from Ron and Keith and Ian and Bill's bass playing). I enjoy the 1975 and 1976 performances but I cannot say JJF is anywhere close to what it was. The Vegas-era/modern versions are horrible. The backup singers, the exact same notes from Ronnie (probably has to play them), Mick's horrible vocals, Keiths boring guitar.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 21, 2015 21:14

marcovandereijk
I do like it as an opener for concerts. The inevitable tension before the show is radically

And yeah, the studio version definitely is one of the best rock songs ever recorded.

One minor point that bugs me in the later versions: I can't think of a reason why Ronnie
is playing the "high pitched riff" right from the beginning of the song. I think it would

I thought the same, about Ronnie's top line lick..

better to be played later in the song..

one recent thing ( subtle but effective ) is the min 7 of the chord in the last of the three statements before the last verse..

I listen for it every time..

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 22, 2015 00:01

StonedRambler
The thing I love most is how Mick sings now the It's all right. The crowd, Lisa and Bernard do the backing vocals with the long 'aaaaaaaaaaal riiiiiight' and Mick sings on top of it. Just great thumbs up

This is the whole reason the versions 2012 till now often sounds like complete shite!! The backing vocals in the chorus combined with Mick singing on top of it sounds ridiculously bad and annoying! Like Mick wasn't able to sing the song by himself, that's how it sounds, Mick's vocals are supposed to drive the song forward. The Hyde Park 2013 is in my opinion very weak.
And what's not to like about the Licks-tour versions??
Those were all powerful and fast, just as I like JFF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 00:03 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:03

Redhotcarpet
I gotta ask. You who say that one of the modern day versions is the best or among the best. Is that because you attended or are you employed by Mick? grinning smiley

The best live versions are of course from 1972, 1973, 1969 and possibly, if shortened and edited, 1981 (thanks to the backup from Ron and Keith and Ian and Bill's bass playing). I enjoy the 1975 and 1976 performances but I cannot say JJF is anywhere close to what it was. The Vegas-era/modern versions are horrible. The backup singers, the exact same notes from Ronnie (probably has to play them), Mick's horrible vocals, Keiths boring guitar.

72/73 is crap compared to the original. Toggle switching and barking. Pfft!

Date: April 22, 2015 01:06

duke richardson
marcovandereijk

I thought the same, about Ronnie's top line lick..

better to be played later in the song..

one recent thing ( subtle but effective ) is the min 7 of the chord in the last of the three statements before the last verse..

I listen for it every time..

Good observation! It's glued its way into my ears as well.

Ronnie should do more stuff like that. It's not like there isn't room for it..

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: April 22, 2015 01:19

There are some versions from later on in the bridges tour with keiths guitar sounding fat, he definitely added some crunch beyond just what the fender twin can push out. I dig the big pyro explosion at the beginning from that tour too.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:22

This is easy...

78 slays every other version they've ever done. Close second is most any gig from 69. Either play it punk rock blazingly fast with tons of riffage, or slow heavy blues ala 1969.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:02

MartinB
Strangely, the version with Aretha Franklin is very good.

Agree with both points: that it is pretty good, and that it is indeed strange.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:14

kleermaker
pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

Kleermaker you have good taste when it comes to Stones.
I can never understand how people say Taylor was a lousy rhythm guitarist. he was half of the guitar team in the Golden Era. he didn't play rhythm with the flash of Keith, but he played rhythm much in the way Bill plays Bass. It;'s subtle, guerilla warfare; you don't know what just creeped up and bit you.
Keith took a good bit of solos in 69 and 70. yet the songs keep moving with great swing. And when BOTH of them are playing rhythm, which happens a lot in 69 it is beautiful. Listen to the chorus in JJF in 69; in this 'Breakfast' version; and the the way they open it up for instrumental.
At 1:15 Taylor is working it hard behind Jagger.
Almsot as hard as the guy @ 2:25. He loves Jagger, and he 'gets it'.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:39

The BtB and NS versions rolled and rocked.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2015 13:50

I like the 1969-1973 plus the 1978-1982 versions the best, and most of all some of the 1969 performances. The R&R Circus version is also up there

After 1982.....well, as Leonard Keringer pointed out one can't even hear much difference between the 1989/1990/1994/1995/1997/2002 etc JJFlashes; they are all just about the same professional noise to me.

It does work nicely as an opener when being at an actual show 1989-onwards, as there's much tension when being in the audience, but when listening to the recordings afterwards.....it's a number I wish they had put on the shelf; together with Miss You, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, etc. There's no "danger" in any 90s or 00s Versions of JJFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 14:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: madrid82 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 13:55

the best version is from Trabendo 2012

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 22, 2015 14:11

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

How dare you! the 1972 and 1973 versions are f-ing GREAT!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2015 14:18

madrid82
the best version is from Trabendo 2012
IMO this one is special in light of the circumstances. Being the first document of Stones activity after 5 years. They should have uploaded the whole song.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 22, 2015 14:40

Glastonbury was epic and Sweet Summer Sun is one of my faves, slower and grooving.

Date: April 22, 2015 14:43

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

How dare you! the 1972 and 1973 versions are f-ing GREAT!

No. The versions from L&G and Brussels (and others from that era) just isn't my Stones. Too busy, too little groove, too little dark magic...

For faster versions I prefer 1978, like Drake mentioned above.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:31

Still The Park -69...

Gas Gas Gas Gas Gas..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:14

Maybe not the best ever but at least some variation on the theme...

JJF

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:19

Ya-yas off course...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: April 22, 2015 17:20

Stoneage
Maybe not the best ever but at least some variation on the theme...

JJF

In 1997 (could be 1994 or 2002), at a pre-tour club show, they played JJF with the studio intro. It's gotta be the only time. Can't find it anymore on Youtube...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 17:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 22, 2015 18:28

DandelionPowderman

... But the studio version tops everything. Hands down.

This!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home