Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
Date: September 5, 2019 17:10

His Majesty
They did do overdubs at Regent Sound hence double tracked vocals, overdubbed solo on Not Fade Away etc. But, it was only two track or something in early 1964.

They had to do a mix down first?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 5, 2019 19:57

Tell Me was to me yet another confirmation that I had "discovered" an amazing band (starting with Not Fade Away in February 1964). After It's All Over Now and Little Red Rooster, Tell Me was the fourth song I caught on my old Loewe Opta radio. In the early summer of 1964 my parents bought our first recordplayer and not much later I got myself, along with some EPs, the first Rolling Stones album (including an abruptly ending Tell Me). The Rolling Stones to me were a real band who knew how to combine instruments (to me Jagger's voice was "another" instrument) in a very balanced way. And ... they dilivered a real variety of songs (just alone mentioning those above four songs!) right from the start. No band (sorry Beatles lovers) in that year came even close.
Tell Me ... I still enjoy listening to it. 100% Rolling Stones.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 00:48

Love this old thang - they really should tackle it on tour!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 6, 2019 11:09

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
They did do overdubs at Regent Sound hence double tracked vocals, overdubbed solo on Not Fade Away etc. But, it was only two track or something in early 1964.

They had to do a mix down first?

Not sure. They may have just recorded to one track knowing they would use the other for overdubbing a few more instruments.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 6, 2019 12:36

I think Keith said it was a two track Revox. Not sure if they'd have used it the same way as George Martin used EMI machines, ie. in twin track form or whether overdubs would have been direct to the mix down in mono. The latter would make sense to maintain sound quality and I don't think any of the Regent Sound songs have appeared in anything other than mono or fake / artificial stereo.
I'll see if I have a trade ad for Regent Sound that might have a gear run-down. It was basically a demo studio really, rather than a "proper" studio. It did go 4 track later but I think that was after the Stones. Johnny Kidd cut demos there circa early 1959 which got him a publishing deal and then EMI contract and many artists used to go there to rehearse or cut demos. I think it was pretty cheap in comparison to EMI / Decca etc.. so popular with songwriters.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2019 13:02

Tell Me was a very early Mick and Keith composition, so therefore before Klein came on the scene.
Whilst ABKCO owns the rights to the recording, the Publishing is actually owned by Peer Music / Songs of Peer.
So it's not true to say that ABKCO owns ALL of the Stones work pre 1971 as is generally believed.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2019 13:53

jlowe
Tell Me was a very early Mick and Keith composition, so therefore before Klein came on the scene.
Whilst ABKCO owns the rights to the recording, the Publishing is actually owned by Peer Music / Songs of Peer.
So it's not true to say that ABKCO owns ALL of the Stones work pre 1971 as is generally believed.

Haa, I didn't know that. It would be interesting to know more about this.

- Doxa

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:13

Doxa
jlowe

Haa, I didn't know that. It would be interesting to know more about this.

- Doxa

The group's first Co Manager, Eric Easton took the lead in Contracts etc. He had the knowledge and contacts which Andrew Oldham lacked.
So he got them a music publishing deal with Southern Music, very much an 'establishment ' name. It was a bit like The Beatles first publisher being Ardmore and Beechwood (which was an EMI subsiduary).
The deal covered group compositions ie Nanker Phelge as well as Mick and Keith's work. So there are about a dozen or so titles (include those written for other artists) which are outside of ABKCOs control.It must have been sometime in 1964 that Oldham, gaining in confidence and wanting more control, linked up to the Essex Music group who at some point became their Publisher. And of course, in the next 12 months or so Klein came on the scene and Easton was ousted.

Not sure when it happened, but Southern must have been bought out by Peer Music...another publisher with a huge inventory of music 'standards'.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: September 6, 2019 21:03

You can’t do much overdubbing with a two track recorder. I have a four track recorder and the more stuff I overdub the worse the overall sound becomes. Ping ponging as Keith called it muddles everything the more you do it. Kind of like a room full of people all talking at the same time. Certainly not clear. If anything the Stones played it all together (with Brian on electric guitar including the solo) and then added more vocals to the mix. Bill said they basically played everything straight up as if they were live in those days and that’s what you hear on the records. It certainly sounds like Brian’s Gretsch to me.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 21:20

ovalvox
You can’t do much overdubbing with a two track recorder. I have a four track recorder and the more stuff I overdub the worse the overall sound becomes. Ping ponging as Keith called it muddles everything the more you do it. Kind of like a room full of people all talking at the same time. Certainly not clear. If anything the Stones played it all together (with Brian on electric guitar including the solo) and then added more vocals to the mix. Bill said they basically played everything straight up as if they were live in those days and that’s what you hear on the records. It certainly sounds like Brian’s Gretsch to me.

I always wondered about the solo. Doesn't sound like Keith's style. I always thought the beginning of Time Waits For No One sounded like the solo.

Date: September 6, 2019 21:48

ovalvox

If you have many tape machines and do mix downs, you can. That's what The Beatles did.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home