Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 4, 2015 11:39

drewmaster
Not a bad way to start off one of the two most successful songwriting partnerships in history.

Drew

the other being Rogers and Hammerstein? or George and Ira Gershwin? or Gilbert and Sullivan? or Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 8, 2015 02:05

Naturalust
Sounds like the Stones trying to be the Beach Boys...or something. Before my time but I am curious what group or song they thought they were somewhat emulating with this one?

peace

Quintessential Stones to my ears.

The first Stones song I ever heard, on vinyl too, way back in 2002.

Olly.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 08:21

The song is not without some cocky charm: YOU GOTTA TELL ME you're coming back to me? But how about simply saying 'please' like the Beatles.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 8, 2015 12:47

Gonna be in the minority on this one but i hate Tell Me.
The lyrics are dreadful, the backing vocals are really really bad, and it lasts 4 minutes which is at least 2 minutes too long, possibly 4 minutes too long. One of the low points of the first album.
Funnily enough though, it works great in the Scorcese film.
In terms of Mick and Keiths songwriting, they really improved quickly after a shaky start. Given their bad boy rep. those early attempts at songwriting are wimpy - Give Me Your Hand and Hold It Tight, Shang A Doo Lang etc...
I know many here aren't so keen on the Jones era (my favourite) but once they start writing singles (a year later) they are just churning out absolute classics and are right up there with the other great songwriters of the era.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 8, 2015 12:55

One of the first attempts by Jagger/Richards to create a song, and a successful attempt in the middle of Soul and Ballad.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 23:58

jaggers voice is great on this song, funny comparing it to what his voice could become in later years especially on dirtywork.

be good if they could do this in concert as a one off.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:32

How could I not comment on the song this portion of the forum is named after....

I think "Tell Me" is a unique song. It has a dated 50's sound quality, I always wondered if it was written when one of them were in their mid teens.

One other thing that also interested me was that this was the first Jagger/Richard song one there first album, yet they say on their 25 x 5 video that the first song they wrote was "The Last Time".

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:56

MisterO
How could I not comment on the song this portion of the forum is named after....

I think "Tell Me" is a unique song. It has a dated 50's sound quality, I always wondered if it was written when one of them were in their mid teens.

One other thing that also interested me was that this was the first Jagger/Richard song one there first album, yet they say on their 25 x 5 video that the first song they wrote was "The Last Time".

Keith says "We won't be ashamed to give this to the rest of the Stones and say let's try this as a single".
They'd already recorded a few Jagger, Richard songs before then but only as album tracks or 'b' sides.
In "The Rolling Stones Story", originally broadcast on BBC radio in 1973, Mick says the first song they wrote was "It Should Be You" which was recorded by George Bean as the 'b' side of "Will You Be My Lover Tonight" also a Jagger, Richard song.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 03:09 by Deltics.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:05

Yes, little to add. Everyone seems to like this one. I enjoy in particular Keith's back up vocals on this. The ending I wished could've gone on longer. And that chorus creates excitement (eerily like a Beatles song chorus).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 03:06 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:51

[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 11:54 by Deltics.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 23, 2015 13:07

Golden oldy.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 23, 2015 13:31

This wonderful souly Ballad is a true gem. I love it and will always do. It´s Keith and Mick spreading their wings.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:35

I always thought this would be a great opener in an arena or theater show. Mick coming from backstage singing the opening lines . . . .

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: July 23, 2015 20:52

Beuatiful song! Love it and I think it is very romantic

Date: August 31, 2018 17:35

I was listening to this song today, the shorter album version, and it made me think about how much more control the guys had over their guitar sound bACK then, using p/u's and volume knob. First off, IMO there is no doubt that it is Keith on both guitars.
The electric guitar has the great clean trebly sound when he is playing the arpeggios in the chorus; picking on the upper strings. Then for the second verse he lays out. For novice 20 year songwriters this is a superb example of dynamics: that he stops and waits to come back in.
What is my point though is that in the same take he also will chug along on the lower strings. And when he does that he gets an almost distorted sound. In that odd fade out you can hear it best, when the guitar almost sounds like 'Satisfaction'.
I wonder if this was on an old Vox amp. Nowadays people would probably do all that in different takes, using different f/x boxes. It is impressive to me that he was able to get a chorus-ed sound in upper register, and an thin distorted sound in lower all in one take.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:06

Fantastic song.one of my favourites.incredible power.
Jeroen

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 3, 2019 22:55

I still think it would be a great opener in an arena or theater show. But I also think it would work in a stadium. Mick pleading for everyone to “come back” just works for me, and I suspect for most everyone.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 4, 2019 00:34

Palace Revolution 2000
IMO there is no doubt that it is Keith on both guitars.
The electric guitar has the great clean trebly sound when he is playing the arpeggios in the chorus; picking on the upper strings. Then for the second verse he lays out. For novice 20 year songwriters this is a superb example of dynamics: that he stops and waits to come back in.
What is my point though is that in the same take he also will chug along on the lower strings. And when he does that he gets an almost distorted sound. In that odd fade out you can hear it best, when the guitar almost sounds like 'Satisfaction'.
I wonder if this was on an old Vox amp. Nowadays people would probably do all that in different takes, using different f/x boxes. It is impressive to me that he was able to get a chorus-ed sound in upper register, and an thin distorted sound in lower all in one take.

Brian sends his thanks and forgives you for your mistake.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 00:58

Deltics
MisterO

Keith says "We won't be ashamed to give this to the rest of the Stones and say let's try this as a single".
They'd already recorded a few Jagger, Richard songs before then but only as album tracks or 'b' sides.
In "The Rolling Stones Story", originally broadcast on BBC radio in 1973, Mick says the first song they wrote was "It Should Be You" which was recorded by George Bean as the 'b' side of "Will You Be My Lover Tonight" also a Jagger, Richard song.
[www.45cat.com]

Many of their songs were written or at least arranged and produced in the studio. The last time wasnt given to the band. Brian owns the song with his riff. They obviously worked out a lot with the others and used songs by other artists as blueprints. Which is fine but it’s about bloody time we get more detailed info on how they recorded.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:00

Tell me is a bad song of course but I really loved when i was about nine. It has a special place in my heart.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:54

Just one of those early Stones charmers...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 21:52

its similar to

if you need me.

which is great to.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2019 12:10

To me "Tell Me" is one of those cases of 'The Singer Not The Song' - and this time referring to the whole performance of the band. As song it is a little poppish piece could have written by anybody (like with dull "I Wanna Be Your Man"), but it is the bloody sound - the color of the voices, the instruments, the controlled sloppiness and chaos, etc - which makes it unique. And funny thing that it sounds not intentional but just how those guys just happen to naturally sound like. That rawness, wildness, even hidden arrogance and threat. It simply stands out from anyone (at least at the time) playing harmless 'pop'. Mick's distinguished voice alone is an anomaly to the nature of the song - charming and tender but still leaving that cold, aggressive impression. Reminds me of Iggy Pop saying that Jagger opened the room for all different kind of 'not nice' way of singing people didn't have heard before. Lou Reed picked up that very first word and sound of "I" into his masterful "Heroin". And add there Keith's wild harmonies - the blueprint for the glorious Glimmer Twins 'harmony' sound is already laid there.

As an analogy, "Tell Me" is like Andrew Loog Oldham trying to put them on similar suits, comb their hair, and act like a 'normal pop band', and the boys do their best, but still managing to cause rage and fear...grinning smiley

I can easily understand why the kids at the time, like our Witness here, were hooked by this song; it tells much more than it formally says.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 12:31 by Doxa.

Date: September 5, 2019 13:58

I think the song is bad and would have preferred it to not be on their debut album.

It is interesting to hear them attempt this kind of thing though, the sound of the band and not the song indeed. I feel this way about a lot of their stuff though, many of their songs are at best ok as songs, but great as vehicles for The Rolling Stones sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 14:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 5, 2019 14:23

..when it has been issued I liked above all the guitars solo..and these days too...!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2019 14:32

Doxa
To me "Tell Me" is one of those cases of 'The Singer Not The Song' - and this time referring to the whole performance of the band. As song it is a little poppish piece could have written by anybody (like with dull "I Wanna Be Your Man"), but it is the bloody sound - the color of the voices, the instruments, the controlled sloppiness and chaos, etc - which makes it unique. And funny thing that it sounds not intentional but just how those guys just happen to naturally sound like. That rawness, wildness, even hidden arrogance and threat. It simply stands out from anyone (at least at the time) playing harmless 'pop'. Mick's distinguished voice alone is an anomaly to the nature of the song - charming and tender but still leaving that cold, aggressive impression. Reminds me of Iggy Pop saying that Jagger opened the room for all different kind of 'not nice' way of singing people didn't have heard before. Lou Reed picked up that very first word and sound of "I" into his masterful "Heroin". And add there Keith's wild harmonies - the blueprint for the glorious Glimmer Twins 'harmony' sound is already laid there.

As an analogy, "Tell Me" is like Andrew Loog Oldham trying to put them on similar suits, comb their hair, and act like a 'normal pop band', and the boys do their best, but still managing to cause rage and fear...grinning smiley

I can easily understand why the kids at the time, like our Witness here, were hooked by this song; it tells much more than it formally says.

- Doxa

Great observation, Doxa, about Lou Reed also using that long, imposing 'I' at the beginning of Heroin.

I always thought the song was a cheap attempt at trying to copy the Tin Pan Alley styles of Gene Pitney and Cliff Richard.

Compared to the dramatic, quick-fire intros of say, She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand from the year before it sounds pretty dated and tame. But it's all about Mick and his protestations and pretty much the first time we can identify with Mick Jagger on his own and isolate him from the rest of the band.

Date: September 5, 2019 15:36

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

Brian sends his thanks and forgives you for your mistake.

LOL, sometimes I get so embarrassed when seeing older posts by myself. Not about the opinion; I probably still stand by that, although I have no idea what my train of thought was back then - but I cringe at all that "I have no doubt" and "Novice songwriter" crap. Man, I really just like listening to them.
yes, so many of their songs only work when played by them. It shows once again how hard it is to cover Stones songs.

Date: September 5, 2019 16:12

Palace Revolution 2000
Man, I really just like listening to them.

thumbs up

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 5, 2019 16:25

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

I doubt that it's Keith on both guitars. In those early days they didn't do overdubs. They went to the studio and played together as a band. It's hadrly done today any longer, with few exceptions (Voodoo Lounge partly).

By the way: "Tell Me" is a nice ballad. Wouldn't overrate it and definitely never compare to the great songs Mick'N'Keith wrote later on ...

Date: September 5, 2019 16:29

They did do overdubs at Regent Sound hence double tracked vocals, overdubbed solo on Not Fade Away etc. But, it was only two track or something in early 1964.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home