Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Please No Special Guests
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:01

Dave Grohl was really good on Bitch and I don't usually like him at all.

The thing I don't get about the special quest is if they are really good and improve things which should be the goal then wouldn't be a let down on when the special quest leaves the stage and its just the Stones again? If they don't improve things then why have them?

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:04

Jack White seems a likely guest. Maybe in Nashville?

I thought Christina Aguilera acquitted herself very well on her performance of Live With Me on Shine A Light. I would like to see her drop the whole pop singer bag and do a straight-up rock n' roll set. She has the pipes.

Btw, nice camel-toe in that picture of Taylor Swift in her yoga pants. They should invite her on stage just so we can all get a good chuckle.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:22

I wouldn't mind a few guests their own age.

Emmylou Harris on Wild Horses.

Mavis Staples on Moonlight Mile.

Irma Thomas on I Got The Blues.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:33

Javadave

Lucinda Williams w/Keith on Salt of the Earth..

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:44

god just please make them all go away-even the people i like.i just want to spend an hour and a half listening to the rolling stones.

katy perry was the guest on beast of burden in vegas.now i dont hate the girl,she's beautiful and can actually sing pretty well.
i heard her on howard stern tell a really funny story about jagger trying to do her when she was 18 and just starting out and she pushed her friend off on him instead.[aparrently to this day jagger is like one of those dogs that finds the truffles]

but i digress-it wasnt that bad but how many more times am i gonna get to see them play beast of burden?even if its one song,the stones are expensive i dont wanna pay for somebody else's fcking rock and roll fantasy camp.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:53

lem motlow
i dont wanna pay for somebody else's fcking rock and roll fantasy camp.

Wow, that's a great idea: invite one of the talented IORRians on stage every night.
I can't wait to see folks like DandelionPowderman or Mathijs on stage, rippin' it up
with the band!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:35

stanlove
Leonioid
What is a Kanye or Morrissey?

Morrissey I think was the guy with the Smiths who made maybe the worst music in the rock era, and Brits for some reason always try to push the idea that he was a big deal.

Actually it was a NME plot to brainwash the youth. When I listen to the second Smiths album, I wonder why many people praise this band, just a few ridiculous arpeggios and poofter lead vocals, no big deal, really.

Do you really think that the WHOLE Smiths' success was related to the Smiths' "gay Brits imagery"? Not a very subtle way of thinking. Last time you wrote that The Smiths was a band for gay kids, or something like that, I don't remember the exact quote, I may be wrong... well, not exclusively. Since you live in the US you must be aware that Morrissey appeals to latino men who were raised in a "straight culture". The Smiths' lyrics were not only about homosexual relationships. IMO their music appeals to people who feel like "outsiders", and by outsider I mean "a person who is not accepted by or who isolates themselves from society". (besides Hand In Glove or the Boy With The Thorn In His Side have you ever heard Nowhere Fast ?)
[www.oxforddictionaries.com]

You don't have to be gay to feel that way, right? Latino immigrants, working-class straight dudes and so on can relate to Morrissey's lyrics. Comparing Culture Club to The Smiths is absurd, Morrissey hated that kind of gay culture, Marr himself would say that the Smiths were definitely different than the mainstream pop bands like Culture Club. Morrissey was not Boy George, for f-uck's sake, he way more introspective. Just because they came from the same era doesn't mean it was the same kind of bands. What is so interesting about the Smiths is that they didn't represent the 80's culture. Bands like Culture Club were American-influenced, the Smiths not at all (you're right on this point), and Culture Club was kind of pompous. I don't see what is "pompous" about the Smiths (unless you take Morrissey too seriously), just look at their band name. Both bands were influenced by David Bowie, who was himself influenced by Bolan, and yes, Bolan was androgynous but besides that I don't see many similarities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 22:12 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:53

Yes no support and no guest exept for ex-Rolling stone.They d'ont need that to be the greatest rock n roll band ever and for ever.(on earth and elsewhere)

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 24, 2015 02:24

Sister morphine with bonnie raitt

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 24, 2015 02:43

how about some covers:

Strokin' with Tina Turner
The Rodeo Song with Willie Nelson
Henry VIII with Eric Burdon
Wipe Out with Jeff Beck
Winchester Cathedral with Peter Noone
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik with Doug Kershaw
I Can See for Miles with Stevie Wonder

Slow night. My point is, the biggest "wow" moment I ever had watching a Stones concert either live or on TV was the Atl City PPV when Keith stepped up to the mike and started singing "let's drink to the hard-working people". If it takes a special guest to bring out a rare gem, then I'll gladly take it. Otherwise, just gimme the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-24 03:00 by josepi.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 24, 2015 03:18

Stones live minutes are getting rarer. No guests please. Just the band.

Posted by: TheGoons ()
Date: April 24, 2015 15:15

I never quite figured out how they determined the special guests for the 50 and Counting Tour. Was it based on who was in town, who was on tour, who approached who? We saw Carrie Underwood in Toronto for IORR and she looked lost. She also blew right past Woody with his arms open, waiting for a hug afterwards. Thought terribly of her afterwards but, according to folks who worked her shows, she's quite the nice person. Go figure.

That said, the only guest they had that tour that I found interesting was Tom Waits but I'm a big fan so....

Bottom line: they don't need special guests to make it interesting, they're the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 26, 2015 07:08

Javadave

Or, if they were to stray from Sticky Fingers, Irma Thomas on Time is on my side smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home