Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Please No Special Guests
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:22

I will be at the concert only to see the Stones. Please no special guests with the exception of Mick Taylor.

Re: Please No Special Guests
Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:28

Totally disagree. Among the opening acts I have seen for the Stones are Bryan Adams, Blues Traveler and No Doubt. I would love a big name headliner to keep me entertained until 9 p.m. when it will be darker outside and cooler.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:30

I don't think Chris means opening acts but special guests on stage with the Stones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:30

I've never been quite satisfied with opening acts because they tend to not be allowed the necessary volume. Except for Guns & Roses.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:31

If the lads do more shows in the UK, there is only one Special Guest I would love to see - Katie "Rent-a-gob" Hopkins doing the lead vocals on Crazy Mama (with the band standing towards the wings) so we could all throw rotten fruit and other detritus at her. For non-Anglophiles she is an abhorrently obnoxious E grade media celebrity who makes Vladimir Putin seem like a benign lapdog with liberal opinions.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-18 22:40 by SonicDreamer.

Date: April 18, 2015 22:34

I'm talking special guests NOT Warm-up Bands.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:35

Sorry I did misunderstand the initial post. I would tend to agree with the op then.

Re: Please - No Special Guests
Date: April 18, 2015 22:37

Thanks - This is tour must be Stones business only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-18 22:40 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:41

I'm more leary of the opening act than special guests. They should have an opening band vote like the web song vote....haha

I got to see Gary Clark as the special guest in 2013, it was electric!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 18, 2015 23:13

I don't mind the special guest idea a bit, as long as they are more selective about it. Guests like Mick Taylor, Gary Clark and Bonnie Raitt were a great addition to the shows. I'd like to see Dr. John or Billy Payne or even Leon Russell have a shot at keyboards on one of the tunes.

Perhaps they will occasionally have a member of the warmup band play a tune with them or something. I believe they truly are somewhat uncomfortable with the lack of Mick Taylor guesting again and might chose to not include other guests for that reason alone. Mick certainly seemed undecided about the issue when asked in the recent interview.

peace

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 18, 2015 23:36

No guests especially if they make a Sticky Fingers show DVD. And that goes double triple quadruple etc for Dave Matthews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 18, 2015 23:43

tonyc
Totally disagree. Among the opening acts I have seen for the Stones are Bryan Adams, Blues Traveler and No Doubt. I would love a big name headliner to keep me entertained until 9 p.m. when it will be darker outside and cooler.

Three great examples of why they shouldn't have an opener.

Date: April 18, 2015 23:46

No special guests? this is why. How sad. Makes me puke she is so bad.

Date: April 18, 2015 23:48

And for anyone that wants to see something sad watch this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2015 03:09

Please No Special Guests.....Totally agree...They don't need 'em ....I don't want 'em

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 19, 2015 03:19

There was a short interview with Mick in Rolling Stone & I got the impression that special guests are going to be happening. I saw Katy Perry with them & she wasn't bad. Could've lived without it though. Mick needs to realize that he is not young & hip anymore, not that he needs to be. Really sad Mick Taylor has not been invited. The Rambler was magical with 3 guitars the night I saw.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 19, 2015 03:35

crholmstrom
There was a short interview with Mick in Rolling Stone & I got the impression that special guests are going to be happening. I saw Katy Perry with them & she wasn't bad. Could've lived without it though. Mick needs to realize that he is not young & hip anymore, not that he needs to be.

He might not be young, but I am and I sure think he's still hipper than a lot of people. But I agree that he was trying way too hard with the guest stars last time around. It was like he could have been holding up a sign saying "I asked this person to guest because I want to generate the interest of their target audience". If young people (like yours truly) want to get into the Stones, they will be attracted to them on their own, not because Katy Perry or Taylor Swift guested at one of their concerts.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: April 19, 2015 04:43

If Mick Taylor is a special guest please give me special guest, and im drunk and playing goats head soup loud threeoclock in the morning.....
Silver train is a comin'
Think I'm gonna get on now, oh, yeah
Silver train is a comin'
Think I wanna get on now, oh, yeah, oh, yeah
Silver rain is a fallin'

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 19, 2015 04:58

I like to watch the band welcome a special guest onstage for a number- two max. The guest needs to be special though.. then it does, I believe add some excitement.

List of ones I'd like to see off the top of my head..
Paul McCartney.. Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi.. Peter Wolf.. Buddy Guy.. Bill Wyman..

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 19, 2015 05:23

alieb
crholmstrom
There was a short interview with Mick in Rolling Stone & I got the impression that special guests are going to be happening. I saw Katy Perry with them & she wasn't bad. Could've lived without it though. Mick needs to realize that he is not young & hip anymore, not that he needs to be.

He might not be young, but I am and I sure think he's still hipper than a lot of people. But I agree that he was trying way too hard with the guest stars last time around. It was like he could have been holding up a sign saying "I asked this person to guest because I want to generate the interest of their target audience". If young people (like yours truly) want to get into the Stones, they will be attracted to them on their own, not because Katy Perry or Taylor Swift guested at one of their concerts.
So no Taylor Swift?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2015 05:32

Even those here who want to see special guests don't want the kind of special guests we're likely to get - which is somebody who is currently "in" to make the band (supposedly) appear up to date and hip, and (as alieb says) make their target audience take notice of the Stones. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't usually so criminally under-rehearsed that their musical contribution isn't worth having. Of course there were exceptions - but not many.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 19, 2015 05:42

Green Lady
Even those here who want to see special guests don't want the kind of special guests we're likely to get - which is somebody who is currently "in" to make the band (supposedly) appear up to date and hip, and (as alieb says) make their target audience take notice of the Stones. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't usually so criminally under-rehearsed that their musical contribution isn't worth having. Of course there were exceptions - but not many.

They really did "leave a lot on the table", wasted potential, which could have blossomed further if they had done more rehearsing with many of the guests. I would humbly suggest (with no expections of the advice being taken) that if they are going to bother with guests then at least spend the required time working out the performance, or don't bother with the guest at all.

There is more to a performance than simply showing up and singing the words and/or playing the notes.... Heck, they spend a month themselves working on the songs for a tour.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:12

GaGa was fun...even John Mayer.

Date: April 19, 2015 06:16

The Special Guests usually end up ruining a good song. They don't know the songs or they try to change them, and it never sounds right. I've seen Christina Agulera. Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Mary J Blige, John Mayer, Keith Urban and even Bruce Springsteen, The only people who actually added anything to the song was Gary Clark Jr., Aaron Neville's Under the Boardwalk, Buddy Guy's Champagne and Reefer, and Clapton was really great at the O2 in 2012. Pop stars just don't cut it. Blues players, yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-19 06:23 by BitchKeepsBitchin.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:19

[youtu.be]

on the 50 and counting tour I could have done without Mary J Blige (ruined Gimme Shelter) Cheryl Crow (ruined All Down the Line) ADTL a highlight in '72. Katie Perry Beast of Burden (weak) Lady GaGa Gimme Shelter....Gimme Lisa! Aaron Neville Under the Boardwalk not bad but not necessary Brad Paisley Dead Flowers good song choice for guest so it worked pretty good. Although I would prefer no guest unless you consider Mick Taylor a guest the above recording from 12/15/12 Newark with John Mayer and Gary Clark jr. was a highlight from all the shows I saw (8) it was smoking hot!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:26

fleabitmonkey
[youtu.be]

on the 50 and counting tour I could have done without Mary J Blige (ruined Gimme Shelter) Cheryl Crow (ruined All Down the Line) ADTL a highlight in '72. Katie Perry Beast of Burden (weak) Lady GaGa Gimme Shelter....Gimme Lisa! Aaron Neville Under the Boardwalk not bad but not necessary Brad Paisley Dead Flowers good song choice for guest so it worked pretty good. Although I would prefer no guest unless you consider Mick Taylor a guest the above recording from 12/15/12 Newark with John Mayer and Gary Clark jr. was a highlight from all the shows I saw (8) it was smoking hot!

Yeah, John and Gary were great. I didn't mind Lady Gaga, I don't listen to her stuff and I would have preferred they had Taylor guest on guitar than her on vocals. But it wasn't bad or anything. I wouldn't ask for any guest (especially since so few of them are anybody I actually want to see), aside from Taylor as you mentioned, but I don't care if they do it. Won't affect my enjoyment of the show. Just as long as there are no more Gwen Stefani types who don't know the lyrics.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:29

Leonioid
alieb
crholmstrom

So no Taylor Swift?
Only if she brings that camel toe!

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:49

I didn't mind Lady Gaga either I just felt like Gimme Shelter belongs to Lisa on tour. Bingo on Gwen Stefani etc. Mary J Blige forgot lyrics and sang like she had never heard the song before. Bottom line if they want to please the fans who have loved and supported them all our lives there is only one special guest we want to see and thats Mick Taylor....no one else! When Bv first hinted at Sticky Fingers in its entirety who didn't also read into that after the previous tour we would be seeing a lot more of Mick Taylor on this tour? Instead we got oh I don't know why he won't be playing with us....WTF! Oh well I've been going to see The Stones since I was 13 (1966) and I will go to at least 6 of these shows but will always feel this will be a huge missed opportunity for something really special.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 19, 2015 06:53

Rockman
Please No Special Guests.....Totally agree...They don't need 'em ....I don't want 'em

"They bring guests when they don't really need 'em, people they bring to cover up what's inside." Kanye West, 2004

(I realise that NO, quoting Kanye West doesn't make you look clever)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-19 07:09 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 19, 2015 07:08

Katy Perry?

"Just another pop star thicker than pig shit, NOTHING TO CONVEY! They are so scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career" Morrissey, 2004

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home