Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

48 years ago
Posted by: piotrek ()
Date: April 13, 2015 19:05

48 years ago - their first visit behind iron courtain....
yeah, the times they are a-changin

Re: 48 years ago
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 13, 2015 19:19

Warsaw 1967 and the riots!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 20:21 by runaway.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 13, 2015 21:06

Indeed, historic day. Their first and only visit to Poland until 1998!

But 1967 was very unique year for them. The spring tour was I think their first "proper" European tour which covered major part of the continent. They visited for the first time Poland, Italy, Switzerland & Greece. It was also their last tour with Brian.

And their artistic developement was outstanding!
January 67 - they release pop yet sophisticated album Between The Buttons
Spring 67 - they are pure punk rock live band a decade before punk!
December 67 - they release psychodelic album!

All within one year! And on top of that 3 out of 5 members had trails for drug possesion and could be sentenced to prison. Man, those were crazy days.

Date: April 13, 2015 21:41

franzk

All within one year! And on top of that 3 out of 5 members had trails for drug possesion and could be sentenced to prison. Man, those were crazy days.

Yes those were crazy days and in that period one of their greatest tracks came to shine; We Love You

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 14, 2015 05:40

runaway
Warsaw 1967 and the riots!

Wonder how much live footage they have of this?

Date: April 14, 2015 11:03

MingSubu

Wonder how much live footage they have of this?

Probably that's all they have, unfortunately. In those days storing tapes was very expensive so most TV stations erased unused material and used one tape several times. That's why there are so few Stones videos from the 60s.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:23

I know someone who was at that show - he's still radiant from it.
Hail hail Rolling Stones

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:15

My friend's mum was there. They did 2 shows at the Sala Kongresowa the same day. I believe the Police had water cannon! I came to Poland for the fantastic BtB show at Chorzow on 14.8.98. I got one of those ancient buses from Warsaw to Chorzow that took 7 hours and the guy sitting next to me was at that 1967 show!

Milo byc snowu w Polsce!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:13

Great footage! Waving their jackets is almost like Argentina!

Date: April 14, 2015 16:46

The Rolling Stones: Playing Warsaw in 1967
The story has it that the Stones exchanged the money for a wagon of Polish vodka which they subsequently never collected, as the duty they would have to pay in Britain was several times higher than what the vodka was worth.

Does anyone know more about this? Thanks

[www.warsawvoice.pl]

Date: April 14, 2015 20:15

That's probably only an urban legend, but a very nice legend spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

There are two books on this event, only in Polish, but full of fantastic and unique photos. You can flip through some pages below.

The Rolling Stones za zelazna kurtyna (Behind the Iron Curtain): [www.wydawnictwoc2.pl]

The Rolling Stones Warszawa '67: [www.wydawnictwoc2.pl]

Date: April 14, 2015 20:38

franzk
That's probably only an urban legend, but a very nice legend spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

There are two books on this event, only in Polish, but full of fantastic and unique photos. You can flip through some pages below.

The Rolling Stones za zelazna kurtyna (Behind the Iron Curtain): [www.wydawnictwoc2.pl]

The Rolling Stones Warszawa '67: [www.wydawnictwoc2.pl]

the voltage problem was probebly as well an urban legend cause prior the Warsaw concerts The Stones were touring in Europe.
Thanks for your info and what a place to perform in Warsaw, I never visited Warsaw but I did visit Krakau, a great city as well.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 14, 2015 20:42

As a primal fan of the Taylor era I would love to see one of those 1967 gigs being released in the Archive series. Of course with the best possible audio available. It just can't being omitted from the history of the Rolling Stones.

Date: April 14, 2015 20:47

kleermaker
As a primal fan of the Taylor era I would love to see one of those 1967 gigs being released in the Archive series. Of course with the best possible audio available. It just can't being omitted from the history of the Rolling Stones.

So far the only good sounding bootleg from this tour is Paris.

But I have just noticed one thing. In the second book, on the photo were Mick is standing on the edge of the stage, throwing flowers, there is a small microphone, next to him, right on the edge. Is it for recording audience noise? Does it mean they recorded this show and it's somewhere in the vaults?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:53

franzk
Indeed, historic day. Their first and only visit to Poland until 1998!

But 1967 was very unique year for them. The spring tour was I think their first "proper" European tour which covered major part of the continent. They visited for the first time Poland, Italy, Switzerland & Greece. It was also their last tour with Brian.

And their artistic developement was outstanding!
January 67 - they release pop yet sophisticated album Between The Buttons
Spring 67 - they are pure punk rock live band a decade before punk!
December 67 - they release psychodelic album!

Athens show would have been Brian's last concert with the band, apart from 68 NME and R'N'R Circus. What a tumuluous time for the band and the world in general!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:23

franzk
kleermaker

But I have just noticed one thing. In the second book, on the photo were Mick is standing on the edge of the stage, throwing flowers, there is a small microphone, next to him, right on the edge. Is it for recording audience noise? Does it mean they recorded this show and it's somewhere in the vaults?
Is there a link to the Paris show?

Date: April 15, 2015 00:24

kleermaker

thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2015 00:25

DoomandGloom
franzk
kleermaker

It's on Youtube.

Date: April 15, 2015 00:40

DoomandGloom
franzk
kleermaker

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:05

I think the Stones were at their best in the 60s, Sticky and Exile not withstanding. To have a band as good as them and the beatles,Dylan,Brian Wilson,Kinks,Yardbirds,Hendrix etc at the same time...wow. @#$%& brilliant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home