Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: LUCKY DIP tix onsale now $29.50 a ticket
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:15

2120Wolf
BluzDude
2120Wolf
BluzDude
2120Wolf
Yes no doubt...I think it is complete miscommunication between AIG and the Venue.
What does not make any sense is why is it a 2 Ticket Limit...But then you are able to buy another 2... If they are letting people buy 2 sets of 2, why not just let the get 4 in one shot ????

Why would an insurance company get involed in this?

That is a great question I have been trying to figure it out for years ????

AIG...AEG...AFX...ABC...ASS...ATT...AA...AAA...AFL...It is all the same after awhile.

thumbs up

Ohhh Man BluzDude...I forgot AXS...

that's ok because AXS is run by AEGmoody smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:21

tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181
Driving up from Tallahassee the day of the show in Orlando. Don't get off work til 4 so I will get there about 8. What time you think they hit the stage right at 8. I will prob be the last person to pick up my lucky dip tickets

After 5 shows there will have an established time frame of +/-15 minutes when they will hit the stage. Simply read the reviews of the first 5 shows and you will learn what BOOM TIME!! is... then just get inside a beer line time ahead of that.

Mid June are the longest days of the year. I would expect them to wait until total darkness before taking the stage to see the video cameras and special effects. So, that would be closer to 9. That is why I expect an opening act.

Good points, and a night starting time might give them/us a slightly cooler temperature reading. We all may start wondering who thought up these tour dates if we get a 100 degree wave starting in mid June, especially the hot as the 4th of July date in Indy.

Hot fun in the SUMMER TIME, it is summergirl's time of year!!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:36

BluzDude
2120Wolf
BluzDude
2120Wolf
BluzDude
2120Wolf
Yes no doubt...I think it is complete miscommunication between AIG and the Venue.
What does not make any sense is why is it a 2 Ticket Limit...But then you are able to buy another 2... If they are letting people buy 2 sets of 2, why not just let the get 4 in one shot ????

Why would an insurance company get involed in this?

That is a great question I have been trying to figure it out for years ????

AIG...AEG...AFX...ABC...ASS...ATT...AA...AAA...AFL...It is all the same after awhile.

thumbs up

Ohhh Man BluzDude...I forgot AXS...

that's ok because AXS is run by AEGmoody smiley

And the FBI and the CIA And the BBC, BB King And Doris Day
Matt Busby.....Dig it, dig it, dig it, Dig it, dig it, dig it, dig it, dig it, dig it, dig it, dig it !!!!!

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:45

Leonioid
tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181
Driving up from Tallahassee the day of the show in Orlando. Don't get off work til 4 so I will get there about 8. What time you think they hit the stage right at 8. I will prob be the last person to pick up my lucky dip tickets

After 5 shows there will have an established time frame of +/-15 minutes when they will hit the stage. Simply read the reviews of the first 5 shows and you will learn what BOOM TIME!! is... then just get inside a beer line time ahead of that.

Mid June are the longest days of the year. I would expect them to wait until total darkness before taking the stage to see the video cameras and special effects. So, that would be closer to 9. That is why I expect an opening act.

Good points, and a night starting time might give them/us a slightly cooler temperature reading. We all may start wondering who thought up these tour dates if we get a 100 degree wave starting in mid June, especially the hot as the 4th of July date in Indy.

The Stadium Lights, used for Night Games and concerts are always on so no total darkness ever , plus it STAYS hot and humid in the south after sundown in the summer. 11pm is usually noise curfew , especially with outdoor shows. 8:15-8:30 start - 2 1/2 hour show. Again My Guess. this seems to be their past average anyway.

Date: April 16, 2015 05:24

StonesHood
Leonioid
tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181

The Stadium Lights, used for Night Games and concerts are always on so no total darkness ever , plus it STAYS hot and humid in the south after sundown in the summer. 11pm is usually noise curfew , especially with outdoor shows. 8:15-8:30 start - 2 1/2 hour show. Again My Guess. this seems to be their past average anyway.

I dont think that stadium lights parts is correct... but maybe...

No sense debating it, after 3-4 shows the times and set up will be known.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 16, 2015 11:43

tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181

Opening acts are almost assured - except for Abu Dhabi and Tokyo, I have not heard of a stadium or festival show without them. I don't know if they would delay for darkness, though. Remember that in summers in Europe, they always start before sunset. It gets dark around midway through their set.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 16, 2015 17:51

drbryant
tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181

Opening acts are almost assured - except for Abu Dhabi and Tokyo, I have not heard of a stadium or festival show without them. I don't know if they would delay for darkness, though. Remember that in summers in Europe, they always start before sunset. It gets dark around midway through their set.

Good point about Europe. I have never seen them over there. Most of the time when they play U.S. stadiums it is in the fall when the sunset is much earlier so I'm used to seeing them in total darkness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 17:52 by tonyc.

Posted by: weinerdog ()
Date: April 16, 2015 19:47

Any idea how many of the LD tickets they'll release for each show? I imagine it varies for each venue, but just looking for a ballpark number.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 17, 2015 00:19

Leonioid
StonesHood
Leonioid
tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181

I am thinking 8:30 - 9:00....I have been to several Football Stadium & BallPark Shows...from what I am rembering the shows that I have been to: Soldier Field, Comiskey Park, Camp Randall, Michigan State...RCA Dome...Silver Dome...The stadium lights are always off, otherwise the stage lighting would be useless...Make Sense ???

Date: April 17, 2015 00:30

2120Wolf
Leonioid
StonesHood
Leonioid
tonyc
Leonioid
horns2181

I am thinking 8:30 - 9:00....I have been to several Football Stadium & BallPark Shows...from what I am rembering the shows that I have been to: Soldier Field, Comiskey Park, Camp Randall, Michigan State...RCA Dome...Silver Dome...The stadium lights are always off, otherwise the stage lighting would be useless...Make Sense ???

Never been to a stadium show when the lights were on. Always off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 00:31 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: April 17, 2015 01:36

Yeah, the turn off the stadium lights just like they shut off arena lights.

The only time I didnt see them shut offf the lights for a Stones stadium show was because it was sun light... :)

Daytime Stones are surreal, but still pretty cool. I think they did it because of the noise ordinances in Boulder and Nashville (back in 1981 and 1994, iirc).

The good part of a day time Stones show is we took the post concert buzz with us when we went did something else that night.

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away." -Elvis Presley

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: April 17, 2015 02:06

On or off ( off), hot or cold, rain or shine...its gonna be a stones summer tour. Hit me up w some lucky dips so I can add more shows to my 3 already!

Is Lucky Dip & Later Discounted Tickets A Better Sales Strategy Than Lower Prices To Begin With?
Date: April 16, 2015 17:28

The thread title says it all.

I have not seen the Rolling Stones since 2006 in Atlanta when, without having a Lucky Dip, I got upgraded from behind the stage later determined to be obstructed for $60 to floor next to the B-stage that were initially over $400. I got Lucky Dip for this time in Atlanta. I will take my chances for $33.50 and not mind no matter where I sit although my friend may not like it if it turns out bad.

Anyway, my question is why not just lower all tickets to begin with and push for a harder initial onsale? You could still do a Lucky Dip or discount other sections later on if poor sales required it. It just seems rather obvious their original price points were going to be a hard sell in most of these markets. Some people may have already dismissed going to see them this time after seeing the initial prices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 17:33 by tonyc.

Re: Is Lucky Dip & Later Discounted Tickets A Better Sales Strategy Than Lower Prices To Begin With?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:00

I think the Lucky Dip strategy of selling tickets has a few advantages over reducing prices over-all. First of all, if sales are strong enough that you don't have to (see Buffalo) you don't. Secondly, at that price.. you get a whole lot more people than you would dropping the $400's to $330, or the $170's to $140 or there abouts.

Additionally, LD's make it affordable so all fans can see them, as well as a good counter-point to all the negative commentary about high ticket prices.

Lastly, people like myself, who had already purchased second tier seats ($170) might (and did) purchase a lucky dip as a gamble that the seat is better.. arriving early enough so that there's time to run outside or post the original seats and sell them. Was successful with that strategy in Vegas last time and ended up with great seats for $85.

Re: Is Lucky Dip & Later Discounted Tickets A Better Sales Strategy Than Lower Prices To Begin With?
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:34

The philosophy behind the pricing is to get the maximum for the band as possible. The argument about ticket pricing is that with lower prices, tickets fall into the hands of scalpers (touts) and they mark the tickets up anyway. Rather sell tickets at a higher price and drop the price to stimulate more sales. The Lucky Dip tickets are there to blunt criticism for the high prices in the first place.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:41

Yes, they are trying to keep tickets out of the hands of scalpers. Unfortunately, this means ticket prices are very high at the beginning, so you have to be patient and wait for the prices to come down.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:42

THey get the big bucks from people who don't have the stomach to wait, people who don't follow this stuff that closely and people who have lots of money and don't care what things cost. they get the maximum possible, as the post above me says. They know exactly what they are doing with the prices, the presales. We are all just rats in cages, they know exactly what buttons to push and when to push them.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:45

delete

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 21:31 by TheGreek.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: April 16, 2015 18:53

This all about the money not anti-scalping, if the band cared they would take a lower guarantee.

Many, many bands have reasonable ticket prices and use anti-scalping measures to ensure fans get the tickets.

Pearl Jam is a great example with their ticketing system. I think Springsteen too though I don't know first hand.

Hell the Stones did it for the Licks Theater shows, I had to pick up my Tower and Utrecht tickets day of show get a wrist band for entry. Its even easier now with ticketless systems.

Date: April 16, 2015 19:02

We'll know the answers at the end of the year when Pollstar publishes the box office figures. Last year, Stade de France sold out in one day, at much lower average prices (even "VIP" packages front of stage were around $600) as I recall - total box office was over $9 million. If, at the end of the year, we see that the US shows are pulling in more than that, then perhaps it was worth it for the promoters. It's a terrible system for fans.

Posted by: LetsWork ()
Date: April 16, 2015 19:23

"better" how?

Better for the band? Yes. It allows them to adjust their pricing to meet uncertain and possibly elastic demand, and thereby get the most money.

Better for the fans? Not for 90% of them.

Dropping ticket prices due to overall lack of demand is one thing. Knowingly inflating prices with full intent of dropping them later, even just a few days later, is a sharp practice and unethical. There's an unstated understanding when it comes to ticket buying that: A) tickets are priced initially to roughly meet market demand in the opinion of the promoter/band; and B ) offering to pay that price at the earliest possible time will result in a better seat than if a buyer waits.

That's how ticket buying has always worked. If the Rolling Stones' ticket practices are deliberately altered to change that understanding, they should be required to state as much conspicuously and at the outset so both parties to the transaction are on a (somewhat) level playing field.

The "combating the scalpers" stuff has gone from a good faith effort to do just that to a cynical ploy to simply co-opt the scalping practice for themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 19:25 by LetsWork.

Date: April 16, 2015 20:12

Lucky Dip Tickets are a are good for everyone. They allow the band to sell all of those crappy seats for crappy prices and they allow fans who can not afford the best seats to dream of being at the show on the front row, even though I am sure most understand you get what you pay for.

And lucky dips allow the band to fill in areas that might have been priced too high, and did not sell, with warm bodies so it looks better with no huge empty gaps and then packed further back like you sometimes see at events.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 22:22 by Leonioid.

Date: April 16, 2015 20:34

I have nothing against the Lucky Dip tickets, per se, except their existence is a tacit acknowledgement that lots of the "premium seats" won't actually get sold, which reveals that they know they are overpricing the tickets at the outset.

As to the general practice of making a limited amount of tickets available and then slowly releasing more and more better seats at the same price over time, it's dishonest. It's worse than price gouging, because at least price gouging is based on a real supply/demand interaction.

Imagine if the only store that sold alcohol in a state introducing a practice where it said "We only have 100 cases of beer left until next month! As such, we are pricing it at $80 a case!" People would eagerly snatch it up at that price, because they were told it was the last beer and the price was therefore a fair markup based on supply/demand. But, when the store gets down to its last 10-15 cases and people stop buying it regularly, it suddenly opens up a cabinet and says: "Just kidding! We really have another 100 cases of beer! And we are selling it at $50. What a bargain!"

That's what the Rolling Stones are doing, and it's wrong. It's deliberate misrepresentation.

Now, if they simply sold what they could, and then slowly and uniformly reduced prices to meet demand, that would be at least more fair. But as it stands, the people who got on line at 10 AM on Monday and got the few sets of $150 or $200 tickets that weren't good enough to be "Silver" or "Gold" VIP 3 days ago now have potentially significantly worse seats than those people who bought tickets yesterday for the exact same price. That's fundamentally unfair, and while the Rolling Stones may have a right to this practice (although, frankly, it seems to skirt the lines of fair commerce), and a right to make as much as they can, they also have an ethical obligation not to screw people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 20:42 by LetsWork.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: April 16, 2015 20:43

The point is that is does not have to be this way.

There are many hugely popular bands that use technology and ticketing systems that are fair in terms ticket distribution and preventive in terms of scalping.
To say we have platinum tickets or whatever so the band keeps the money the scalpers would make is BS. The official sales with moving price targets based on demand IS scalping.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 16, 2015 20:48

LetsWork
"better" how?

Better for the band? Yes. It allows them to adjust their pricing to meet uncertain and possibly elastic demand, and thereby get the most money.

Better for the fans? Not for 90% of them.

Dropping ticket prices due to overall lack of demand is one thing. Knowingly inflating prices with full intent of dropping them later, even just a few days later, is a sharp practice and unethical. There's an unstated understanding when it comes to ticket buying that: A) tickets are priced initially to roughly meet market demand in the opinion of the promoter/band; and B ) offering to pay that price at the earliest possible time will result in a better seat than if a buyer waits.

That's how ticket buying has always worked. If the Rolling Stones' ticket practices are deliberately altered to change that understanding, they should be required to state as much conspicuously and at the outset so both parties to the transaction are on a (somewhat) level playing field.

The "combating the scalpers" stuff has gone from a good faith effort to do just that to a cynical ploy to simply co-opt the scalping practice for themselves.

Combatting the scalpers was always "let's find a way to keep that money for ourselves" and never "let's give the poor fans a break" They play the market like Chuck plays his keyboard. That includes false "sold out" announcements to heighten the excitement when tickets are dropped for those "sold out" showso

The basic principle now is let's move all those overpriced seats at face value -- the crappy seats go on sale first, the good ones are held back, except for packages -- as many of them as we can, before we have to cut the prices, and use every means to manipulate the market in order to move them.

Date: April 16, 2015 20:49

I am a big fan of the stadium shows and lucky dip tickets. I think it makes it much easier for casual and younger fans to attend the shows. Normal pricing for acts like AC/DC is about $90 for the upper level seats in a stadium. $45 is amazing. I hope that there will be much younger audiences, like in Europe last year.

Date: April 16, 2015 22:46

$45 is amazing, but again: there are an extremely limited number of tickets at that price point at the outset, and that is a deliberate ploy drive demand for the more expensive seats.

It's not like they are making the entire upper rear of the stadium $45 to attract casual fans who just want to be in the building, or can't afford better seats. Casual fans don't know about LD tickets.

Only hard core fans know about the LD offer to begin with, and they are the ones most likely to panic and shell out for a high priced package after the LDs sell out. They are also the ones most likely to buy a second set of tickets when the really good ones get slashed a week before the show.

Again: I understand it's a business, and that they need to maximize revenue, but doing so at the expense of the people that are probably their biggest fans (i.e. the ones that log on 3 minutes before 10:00 to get tix, and know about the LD option but strike out because of the falsely deflated supply) is just cynical and cruel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 22:48 by LetsWork.

Date: April 16, 2015 22:52

LetsWork
$45 is amazing, but again: there are an extremely limited number of tickets at that price point at the outset, and that is a deliberate ploy drive demand for the more expensive seats.

It's not like they are making the entire upper rear of the stadium $45 to attract casual fans who just want to be in the building, or can't afford better seats. Casual fans don't know about LD tickets.

Only hard core fans know about the LD offer to begin with, and they are the ones most likely to panic and shell out for a high priced package after the LDs sell out. They are also the ones most likely to buy a second set of tickets when the really good ones get slashed a week before the show.

Again: I understand it's a business, and that they need to maximize revenue, but doing so at the expense of the people that are probably their biggest fans (i.e. the ones that log on 3 minutes before 10:00 to get tix, and know about the LD option but strike out because of the falsely deflated supply) is just cynical and cruel.

Were the Lucky Dip tickets impossible to obtain this time? It wasn't too bad in 2013, as I recall.

Date: April 16, 2015 22:54

LetsWork

The point of my thread.

Yes, there are Lucky Dip and ways to get discounted tickets later if you are in the know. But, who besides us are in the know? The Rolling Stones seem not interested in letting people know there are ways they are being fan friendly this tour. They seem proud to let everyone think they charge what they want because they can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 22:54 by tonyc.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 16, 2015 22:55

There are so many dopes that cant wait to pay whatever the band demands that they'll gladly take that & lower prices later, especially with stadium shows. All you gotta do is wait.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home