Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Perhaps it's just time to end this....
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:32

I don't know why the Beach Boys are used as the (negative) critical yardstick. They put out a generally fabulous album in 2012, with some breathtaking magic on it. (several of which were regularly played live)

Not to mention Brian Wilson's continuing solo work (new album next week) and the bunch of rich archive sets that have been released over the last 2 decades.

Really, the Beach Boys are a much more active and still-creative band than the Stones have been for a decade or two...

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:40

Maybe it's time to say farewell.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:41

peoplewitheyes

Really, the Beach Boys are a much more active and still-creative band than the Stones have been for a decade or two...

OK, now you're just being a bully

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:08

dcba
"Perhaps it's just time to end this..."

Reminds me of a "thing" that happened on a Germanwings flight...

terrible comparison, wouldn't you agree..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:11

MrThompsonWooft
Maybe it's time to say farewell.

til the next time..

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:18

peoplewitheyes
I don't know why the Beach Boys are used as the (negative) critical yardstick. They put out a generally fabulous album in 2012, with some breathtaking magic on it. (several of which were regularly played live)

Not to mention Brian Wilson's continuing solo work (new album next week) and the bunch of rich archive sets that have been released over the last 2 decades.

I think the idea here is that "The Beach Boys" of 2012 were basically a one off, fantastically successful, reunion with Brian, (this of course leads back to "Why won't our boys do the same thing" )and "The Beach Boys" today are a Mike Love driven nostalgia vehicle, and at least in my mind, rather sad and pathetic.

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:31

It's better to burn out than fade away

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:41

treaclefingers
Having cleared the air, what you say is true, and it would be incredible to be the fly on the wall to see what the motivation is hear, besides money.

Adulation, relevance, love for the music?

As Keith said in 1989, the glory.

It's all about the glory.

Follow the glory.

It's only glory 'n' glory.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:44

Gfmsoccer

They've earned the right to play on, well past their prime, for the love of the music, the fans, the money.

Mick pushed the band for new music with Bigger Bang. It took them years to pull that together. It was their best work in 25 years. Critics liked it, but fans did not buy it, and when they performed the new stuff, fans went for a beer, which Mick said in a few interviews. So he said @#$%& It! You want the big hits, you'll get them. We'll even let you vote on the songs we do.

I couldn't agree more - they have the right to do whatever the hell pleases them.

But then, why does Mick cave to beer drinkers buying beer during the new songs? As a long time hardcore fan I wish he'd stand firm on his new product and not let the casual fan dictate what the band plays. They are The Stones, he's Mick - folks will follow his lead. New, semi-new, and old fans would be all be stoked.

Date: April 10, 2015 17:48

The problem with their creative act is it's so hit and miss. They've been able to blast Street Fighting Man, Monkey Man and a few others extremely well yet they completely ruin She's So Cold and Sway and a few others?

Why can they play Monkey Man so well but take a shit on She Was Hot? Why will they give Angie all they've got but they vomit on Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo? It's always amazed me, how they simply rush through and just get by with some songs while others are fantastic.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:50

drbryant
To me, a musician is does not stop being an artist because he stops writing new material. The performance itself, every night, is the creative act. Others disagree, I know.

Indeed! Neil Young keeps on releasing new albums full of mediocre songs... People buy tix to see him rip into "Hurricane" or "Free World". They don't care about the new songs.

Date: April 10, 2015 17:53

peoplewitheyes

Mick commented on the Stones not being just a nostalgia act like The Beach Boys back when FORTY LICKS came out and it was his measuring stick for defending the 4 new tracks on the hits comp as a band still being creative.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:57

dcba
drbryant
To me, a musician is does not stop being an artist because he stops writing new material. The performance itself, every night, is the creative act. Others disagree, I know.

Indeed! Neil Young keeps on releasing new albums full of mediocre songs... People buy tix to see him rip into "Hurricane" or "Free World". They don't care about the new songs.

That would be a valid argument if it weren't for the fact that they play the songs in almost the same manner every time. With hardly any variation at all, almost in a playback mode.
I haven't seen Neil in a very long time but I'm sure he doesn't play it as safe as the Stones do.

Date: April 10, 2015 18:18

GasLightStreet
The problem with their creative act is it's so hit and miss. They've been able to blast Street Fighting Man, Monkey Man and a few others extremely well yet they completely ruin She's So Cold and Sway and a few others?

Why can they play Monkey Man so well but take a shit on She Was Hot? Why will they give Angie all they've got but they vomit on Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo? It's always amazed me, how they simply rush through and just get by with some songs while others are fantastic.

I think there's a difference between creativity and competency.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 10, 2015 20:12

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
drbryant

I think a musical performance CAN be a creative act. A performance in which the artists challenge themselves, take risks, improvise, develop themes that vary from night to night. But this tends to NOT be characteristic of a modern-day Stones performance. They are a well-oiled human jukebox designed to spit out reasonable facsimiles of their glory days.

If you and I can be more than that when we're in our mid-70s, we'll be extremely happy. But no one can expect that of us, right?

As critical as I often am of the latter-day Stones, I do not begrudge them anything. They make enormous amts of money and no doubt get a rush every night they take the stage, knowing the joy they are bringing to millions of people around the globe.

They have OF COURSE earned the right to do whatever they want. But you define yourself, especially for posterity, when you do whatever you want.

My beef with them is that the road they have chosen is aesthetically less interesting and ultimately impoverishing to their legacy. At the end of the day, there is the work, that's all that lasts. When the cheering crowds have died away, what we are left with is the recorded library of live and studio performances.

History is likely to show 50, 100, 200 years from now that The Rolling Stones recorded culturally relevant and musically compelling pop music from the early 1960's to the early 1970's. And then spent 40 or 50 years repeating themselves in gradually diluted forms until they stopped.

History is also likely to show that there WERE musical artists who tested, probed, and NEVER stopped evolving: Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, David Bowie, Ornette Coleman, etc. These artists never played to the crowds who thronged to The Stones but their bodies of work, over time, from the time they were young until the time they died, were fascinating self-portaits that reward repeated listens.

Very few writers or musicians or painters are actually ARTISTS (in the sense that their work lasts and embraces all the complexity of the human condition). But The Rolling Stones, especially from 1965-1972, SEEMED to be artists ... who subsequently squandered their gifts in pursuit of lucre.

Again, nothing wrong with that. I just thought when I first fell in love with them that they were something more.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 10, 2015 21:05

LongBeachArena72
I just thought when I first fell in love with them that they were something more.

They were something more when (we) fell in love with them. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 10, 2015 22:43

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
They can do what they like, but it's a shame about the greed. My firend in LA wanted good seats for the LA concert, and they are $1700. Even the nosebleeds aren't cheap apparently.

WHAAAAAAT??

EDIT: It must be because there isn't any LA concert winking smiley

Sorry, she was referring to Petco Park; she is in LA. Apparently the best seats were $1700.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 10, 2015 22:55

Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
They can do what they like, but it's a shame about the greed. My firend in LA wanted good seats for the LA concert, and they are $1700. Even the nosebleeds aren't cheap apparently.

WHAAAAAAT??

EDIT: It must be because there isn't any LA concert winking smiley

Sorry, she was referring to Petco Park; she is in LA. Apparently the best seats were $1700.

The best seats are actually double that on Stub Hub and other sites. Strangely $1700 might have been a bargain. eye popping smiley

peace

Date: April 10, 2015 22:58

That's daylight robbery.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 10, 2015 23:35

Yes, I love the Stones too, been catching them live since 75' usually up close. And yes, the shows are always kick ass...No it is not time to end it...but I agree it is time to end all the preliminary hype talk about a new this and a new that, and I have material and would love the get the boys in the studio and this and that and we love you and you love us and we love them......Please stop the charade and be real...at least the Beatles were true and said @#$%& this shit.....They were not about bullshit...These guys are starting to sound like a briggade of carnival con-men....

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: April 10, 2015 23:35

The stones can end anytime you want them to, simply stop listening or paying attention to them from which ever point you wish them to cease to exist.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 11, 2015 00:21

fuzzbox
The stones can end anytime you want them to, simply stop listening or paying attention to them from which ever point you wish them to cease to exist.

Woaaa Fuzzbox are you a prophet ???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:44

bigbitch

There has not been a day in 40 years that I have not listed to, thought about, engaged in conversation about the Rolling Stones.....and that pattern will continue unabated I suspect based on the genius of it all.....but I never wanted to see the Stones turn into the Beach Boys and while it is a bit of cheap shot...Keith's remarks kind of sent me into massive amount of eye rolling....

Anyway Vive La Stones....

Hey, I'd put the 'Beach Boys' touring band and vocalists up against what backs up the Stones now any day of the week. I'm talking about Brian Wilson version, who tours with Al Jardine and sometimes David Marks and Blondie Chaplin (in 2013 with Jeff Beck). The backup musicians are top notch. Brian played the entirety of Pet Sounds, which is a lot more challenging than Sticky Fingers. Of course I have no idea what the Mike Love/Bruce Johnston version of the Beach Boys sounds like, and I don't care.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:59

MidnightPeanut
But then, why does Mick cave to beer drinkers buying beer during the new songs? As a long time hardcore fan I wish he'd stand firm on his new product and not let the casual fan dictate what the band plays. They are The Stones, he's Mick - folks will follow his lead. New, semi-new, and old fans would be all be stoked.

Yeah that's the bewildering part, he's got stadiums in the palm of his hand bringing incredible joy to the audience and yet he doesn't use that "magic" to push boundaries or simply play new songs. You'd think that the stop and go "Midnight Rambler" parts would be more risky in a stadium than playing a good new pop song...

76,495 people in the palm of his hands in Paris, June 13th, 2014 :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 11, 2015 02:12

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
drbryant

LongBeachArena72 said:

"My beef with them is that the road they have chosen is aesthetically less interesting and ultimately impoverishing to their legacy."

Very good point. For a few decades now they became strictly "performers" (mostly for the big money) and stopped being "artists". And you're spot-on when you say they're degrading their artistic legacy in the future for financial security today. They don't make artists like Lou Reed or Warren Zevon or Steve Earle anymore.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 11, 2015 02:16

2120Wolf
fuzzbox

Woaaa Fuzzbox are you a prophet ???

I'm thinking he's an existential philosopher.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 11, 2015 02:21

fuzzbox is not a girl?

Date: April 11, 2015 07:15

gotdablouse
76,495 people in the palm of his hands in Paris, June 13th, 2014 :

More like he's pointing his fingers...!

Date: April 11, 2015 07:46

DoomandGloom
fuzzbox is not a girl?

chortle

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: April 11, 2015 15:51

DoomandGloom
fuzzbox is not a girl?

It's been a long time since i've been called a girl.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home