Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satanic Majesties: a first listen
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 9, 2015 02:18

well, i maybe heard it once as a teenager 25 years ago, but am just listening to it now... basically for the first real time

Wow! it's freaking awesome!

The Lantern, Citadel, In Another Land....

great stuff. I know it gets shat on by many on here, but it sounds so rich, full of intriguing instrumentation, effects, backing vocals, and the song arrangements are incredible. Constantly switching tempo, texture.

I can't believe i've been ignoring (or 'saving'!) this for all these years.

I'm looking forward to another listen in a few hours to get my head around so much richness.

Re: Satanic Majesties: a first listen
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2015 02:33

Get rid of "See What Happens" and add the We Love You/Dandelion single and you'd have a psychedelic classic.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: April 9, 2015 02:39

I love the disc myself..Always have..An unnoticed gem...thumbs up

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 9, 2015 03:03

This is Brian's record as much as Mick and Keith's. This is one of Brian's highpoints.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 9, 2015 03:33

I always thought it was pretty decent too. It's bound to take a hit with the constant comparisons to Sgt. Peppers but overall I thought it was a fun record. 2000 Light Years From Home and She's a Rainbow are awesome.

Besides, without this setup and perceived failure we probably wouldn't have got Jimmy Miller on board and the return to the amazing blues based subsequent records. If it was a huge hit I imagine the Stones might have taken a different approach on the next few records.

peace

Date: April 9, 2015 03:37

GARBAGE

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 9, 2015 03:41

71Tele
Get rid of "See What Happens" and add the We Love You/Dandelion single and you'd have a psychedelic classic.

thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 9, 2015 03:51

Great album and would want it no other way!

A Stones fanatic and respectful of the Beatles. I think TSMR crushes Sgt. Pepper's.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:06

71Tele

I got a CD version (from Mickboy?) in this direction.But I must say I even like Sing this all together.
Btw. good to have you still around, Tele.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:24

triceratops
This is Brian's record as much as Mick and Keith's. This is one of Brian's highpoints.

Are you sure? I read that Brian Jones hated the record and was glad when the Stones got back to their roots in the next record, "Beggars Banquet."

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: April 9, 2015 05:13

Great Record especially on vinyl and with the mono mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 05:14 by jabhead.

Date: April 9, 2015 05:53

Pietro
triceratops

Are you sure? I read that Brian Jones hated the record and was glad when the Stones got back to their roots in the next record, "Beggars Banquet."

Yes, I always thought that was odd because he was at the height of his experimentation at that point and not playing much guitar (if any).

Date: April 9, 2015 05:54

CousinC
71Tele

I got a CD version (from Mickboy?) in this direction.But I must say I even like Sing this all together.
Btw. good to have you still around, Tele.

Kind of you CousinC. My dissapointment with the tour lineup has been somewhat mitigated by the planned release of the 71 live tracks and the Marquee club gig.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 07:25

I think this was more a Mick record for sure. It is his typical pattern of trying to be contemporary, and was certainly hanging around The Beatles a lot during that time, as was Keith. I think it was the two of them, I mean they wrote the music and lyrics, and probably just encouraged Brian to play all his favorite different instruments. But I do think Brian wasn't all that into it.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:19

An artistically failed attempt to copycat the Beatles. Awkward, and the decisive low point in the career of the band.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:23

triceratops

Judging on the outtakes boxsets Keith Richards really was the driver behind the recording sessions in those days, aided by Jagger and Nicky Hopkins. Brian Jones is fairly absent from the record, apart from some (fantastic!) Mellotron parts.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 14:35

Mathijs
triceratops

Judging on the outtakes boxsets Keith Richards really was the driver behind the recording sessions in those days, aided by Jagger and Nicky Hopkins. Brian Jones is fairly absent from the record, apart from some (fantastic!) Mellotron parts.

Mathijs

Absolutely.

Everybody should run through the hours of the fantastic Satanic Sessions. Very interesting stuff indeed.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:50

I was 17 when I bought it. And addicted twice in that time.
Nr. 1. The record - playing it on and on.
Nr. 2. Marabou-Chocolate (from Sweden!!) - eating bar by bar!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 9, 2015 16:10

71Tele

Hell yes. Child Of The Moon should be on it too.
(And lose On With The Show)

The drums on 2000 light years and 2000 Man are epic.
Citadel is the beginning of Keef Riffhard. Essential.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:06

71Tele

plus Child of the Moon and JJF and classic classic

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:08

peoplewitheyes
well, i maybe heard it once as a teenager 25 years ago, but am just listening to it now... basically for the first real time

Wow! it's freaking awesome!

The Lantern, Citadel, In Another Land....

great stuff. I know it gets shat on by many on here, but it sounds so rich, full of intriguing instrumentation, effects, backing vocals, and the song arrangements are incredible. Constantly switching tempo, texture.

I can't believe i've been ignoring (or 'saving'!) this for all these years.

I'm looking forward to another listen in a few hours to get my head around so much richness.
Look for the four Beatles Heads on the cover - they are there, done in response
to Beatles putting Wellcom the Rolling Stones on the cover of Sgt Peppers
drinking smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:17

Without the embarassing "Sing Together" and "On With The Show", the rest of the album has songs that vary from good ( "Citadel", "2000 lightyears", "Rainbow" ) to okayish ( "Lantern", "In Another Land" ), to ridiculously silly ( "Gomper" ) plus some additional filler. So yeah, not a complete failure.
But the same can be said for another one of their worst albums: Dirty Work. It has 2 (maybe 3) good songs, some others that are listenable filler and two that are cringeworthily bad.

Date: April 9, 2015 17:36

alhavu1
71Tele

Agree, but every time I suggest that someone tells me the time frame isn't right and COTM was recorded much later. However, I do think it originally comes from the time of TSMR.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:10

RobertJohnson
An artistically failed attempt to copycat the Beatles. Awkward, and the decisive low point in the career of the band.

One of my favourite albums - but (IMO) much more in keeping with whole psychedelic atmospehere in London at the time...
...more appropriate reference is The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:55

I always enjoy listening to the psychedelic album 'Satanic' with some influence of Pink Floyd, Brian's weird spooky playing the mellotron and Keith's abrasive electric guitar playing on 2000 light years makes my favourite.
Mick Taylor witnessed some of the ' Satanic sessions ', anybody know more about this? 'THE BEATLES AND the ROLLING STONES' "Sing This all Together" smiling smiley another favourite bootleg of mine with some instrumental Satanic tracks-Vinyls!

Date: April 9, 2015 19:03

I think the Stones (or rather ABKCO) should release a "best of the psychedelic era" album, which would include most of TSMR as well as We Love You/Dandelion and Child of The Moon, with maybe a couple of outtakes. I'd buy it.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 10, 2015 03:56

71Tele
alhavu1
71Tele

Agree, but every time I suggest that someone tells me the time frame isn't right and COTM was recorded much later. However, I do think it originally comes from the time of TSMR.

I always thought so too. I can't remember the source but I swear reading either Keith or Mick saying even JJF had it's embryo in the TSMR sessions, but the actual sessions didn't happen until after the release of TSMR.
(It gets referred to an LSD inspired song, lyrically)

Child Of The Moon is closer in spirit to TSMR than Beggar's Banquet.

It's also important to remember just how fast they were working then.
It wasn't like from '78 onwards where every album was its own era.

Oh, and +1 to what Dandy said. I've only skimmed the surface of the voluminous session tapes but there is some fantastic stuff there.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-10 04:01 by andrewt.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 10, 2015 21:10

71Tele
alhavu1
71Tele

And I think your right..........so keep to your suggestion...and yes the three songs should be on it........and See Whats Happens should have been a B side ...bit difficult to choose the two other ones.......

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 10, 2015 21:42

andrewt
71Tele
alhavu1
71Tele

I always thought so too. I can't remember the source but I swear reading either Keith or Mick saying even JJF had it's embryo in the TSMR sessions, but the actual sessions didn't happen until after the release of TSMR.
(It gets referred to an LSD inspired song, lyrically)

Child Of The Moon is closer in spirit to TSMR than Beggar's Banquet.

It's also important to remember just how fast they were working then.
It wasn't like from '78 onwards where every album was its own era.

Oh, and +1 to what Dandy said. I've only skimmed the surface of the voluminous session tapes but there is some fantastic stuff there.

JJF was just 6 months created later than Satanic and was a tranformation from the music realized during Satanic sessions. The band's decision was to return to R'n'B and this they did with the precision with Jimmy Miller at the controls. The rock resurgence created on JJF continued with COTM.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: April 10, 2015 21:55

alhavu1
71Tele

confused smiley

Both were recorded in 1968 though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home