Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ronnie Wood Ambassadors Theatre April 29th at 8pm 2015.
Date: April 29, 2015 20:58

Great stuff! thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 29, 2015 21:14

Thanks for posting Lien.

As DP said, Great stuff !

He's great old Ronnie. Isn't he. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 29, 2015 22:07

alhavu1
Quite accurate. The slide show was a MESS

At least one radio station that day was giving away tickets for "Ronnie Wood and 'Special Guests'", so of course everyone speculated that at least Keith would be there. I guess the "special guests" were Martha Quinn and JJ Cale because no one else besides them and Ronnie showed up. The crowd was already stoked and out of control when Ronnie came out. At first he just had a cocktail glass, looked somewhat dignified, and attempted to show videos of his family playing music, then something from the Muddy Waters Checkerboard show (which most of us had never seen), then demonstrated his skills on bass, pedal steel (playing along to the Far Away Eyes video), but people in the crowd kept yelling things like "Keith! We know you're back there!!" Ronnie then got a bottle of Rebel Yell(not Jack Daniels), which he held up, toasted the crowd and proceeded to get plastered. He did a Q&A and when someone in the audience took out a blues harp and asked "Can I come up there and jam with you in A?", Ronnie replied, "Well you can come up but I won't be here." People kept handing him things to sign and he would lean over with his guitar falling off his shoulder and Martha yelling "Ronnie! Watch your guitar!" Ronnie finally placated the crowd with a rendition of "They Don't Make Cowboys Like They Used To", during which he forgot the words and sang "Nnnnnaaa...naaaaa...naaaaa..." and the crowd clapped along happily. I actually have a boot of that show around somewhere.

Anyway, like I said, happier times for Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-29 22:08 by bleedingman.

Ronnie Wood - Ambassadors Theatre, April 29
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:00

with Bob Harris

David M. Benett/Getty Images

Re: Ronnie Wood - Ambassadors Theatre, April 29
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:11

Thanks for the pics Bye bye Johny !!
jeroen

Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: April 30, 2015 05:07

corriecas
Cant seem to find a Pre-order link anywhere for his book.

Does anyone know where to pre-order.

Jeroen

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Posted by: woody ()
Date: April 30, 2015 06:33

I have ordered the deluxe book, but could not make the show. What was in the bag ??

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 30, 2015 09:03

A great little evening at the Ambassadors Theatre. There was an introduction by Anne Nightingale, a short film of Ronnie talking about his present day life and of his passion for music and painting, references to his early life at home and his brothers Ted and Art, and then about an hour's worth of interview with Bob Harris. The interview session was great, Ronnie was very talkative and threw in lots of little reminiscences and anecdotes. He actually did a really good job of painting a picture of "what it was like" as an up & coming musician in those crucial years of the mid 60s ... the main focus being 1965 when he was 17. LOTS of references to bands we ALL for the most part also know and love as much as we do the Stones, the WHO, the KINKS, the YARDBIRDS, the SMALL FACES, a veritable "who's who" no less !! Stories about Jim Marshall, Pete Townshend, Steve Marriott, Keith Moon, Jimmy Page .... it goes on and on.

A really nice touch was that the vocalist (Ali McKenzie) from his first band the BIRDS was in the audience, and Ronnie asked him a lot of questions in a "can you help me fill in the blanks" context. Also very cute was the fact that his wife Sally and Dolly the dog were in the audience, there was at one point a lot of "woofing" from the circle balcony, and then in due course Dolly came and joined Ronnie and Bob Harris on stage.

There were a few questions at the end, and what WAS genuinely interesting and it must be said - rather SAD to hear - was that in response to the question "are there any plans to get together with Kenny (Jones) and Rod following Mac's untimely death, Ronnie essentially confirmed what people have been posting extensively on IORR for years on threads concerning a possible Faces reunion with Rod. And that was: "yes we would like to do it, but the problem HAS been - and CONTINUES to be - Rod's manager, who is bloody difficult to deal with". He then went to say that the plans would include Steve Winwood on keyboards.

For those of us that have been yearning for a FACES reunion for years and for a variety of reasons have harboured suspicions that the reason it never happened during Mac's lifetime was due to Rod (plus cantankerous manager) ... Ronnie last night confirmed those suspicions 100 percent. Such a shame. Ronnie sat there in front of an audience of HIS fans (and obviously largely FACES fans) and simply said "all we want to do is just get together and PLAY, no-one is remotely interested in the "money". So for THAT to have been the reason why this much talked about reunion had never actually taken place was quite disheartening to hear from the horse's mouth.

All in all however, a great evening ... we luuuuuuuuuuuuurv Mr Ronnie Wood !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 30, 2015 09:12

paulywaul
A great little evening at the Ambassadors Theatre. There was an introduction by Anne Nightingale, a short film of Ronnie talking about his present day life and of his passion for music and painting, references to his early life at home and his brothers Ted and Art, and then about an hour's worth of interview with Bob Harris. The interview session was great, Ronnie was very talkative and threw in lots of little reminiscences and anecdotes. He actually did a really good job of painting a picture of "what it was like" as an up & coming musician in those crucial years of the mid 60s ... the main focus being 1965 when he was 17. LOTS of references to bands we ALL for the most part also know and love as much as we do the Stones, the WHO, the KINKS, the YARDBIRDS, the SMALL FACES, a veritable "who's who" no less !! Stories about Jim Marshall, Pete Townshend, Steve Marriott, Keith Moon, Jimmy Page .... it goes on and on.

A really nice touch was that the vocalist (Ali McKenzie) from his first band the BIRDS was in the audience, and Ronnie asked him a lot of questions in a "can you help me fill in the blanks" context. Also very cute was the fact that his wife Sally and Dolly the dog were in the audience, there was at one point a lot of "woofing" from the circle balcony, and then in due course Dolly came and joined Ronnie and Bob Harris on stage.

There were a few questions at the end, and what WAS genuinely interesting and it must be said - rather SAD to hear - was that in response to the question "are there any plans to get together with Kenny (Jones) and Rod following Mac's untimely death, Ronnie essentially confirmed what people have been posting extensively on IORR for years on threads concerning a possible Faces reunion with Rod. And that was: "yes we would like to do it, but the problem HAS been - and CONTINUES to be - Rod's manager, who is bloody difficult to deal with". He then went to say that the plans would include Steve Winwood on keyboards.

For those of us that have been yearning for a FACES reunion for years and for a variety of reasons have harboured suspicions that the reason it never happened during Mac's lifetime was due to Rod (plus cantankerous manager) ... Ronnie last night confirmed those suspicions 100 percent. Such a shame. Ronnie sat there in front of an audience of HIS fans (and obviously largely FACES fans) and simply said "all we want to do is just get together and PLAY, no-one is remotely interested in the "money". So for THAT to have been the reason why this much talked about reunion had never actually taken place was quite disheartening to hear from the horse's mouth.

All in all however, a great evening ... we luuuuuuuuuuuuurv Mr Ronnie Wood !!
Thank you very much for the report, sounds a time well spent.

Date: April 30, 2015 11:07

Sounds great, thanks for the reoprt..
Was it recorded by the BBC????

Jeroen

Date: April 30, 2015 12:01

Nice review Paul, well summed up. I loved the informality of the evening and Bob Harris was the perfect host as his knowledge of music enabled him to ask Ronnie relevant questions and elaborate on the answers, making for some great insights into the London music scene of the 60's.

Ronnie is in Ireland today to see his horse run before heading off to LA next week for tour rehearsals. It was a cool evening and good to see some familiar faces....or should that be familiar Faces!

In case anyone is interested, his horse is Sandymount Duke running in the 7.45 at Punchestown this evening!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:06

I second Paulywaul's description of last night. It was great to see and hear Ronnie in full anecdotal flow and telling some wonderful tales. Whispering Bob Harris was just the ticket for such a nicely relaxed and informal "interview".

Jeroen - I believe it was being officially filmed (and the ushers were giving out "no recording" instructions to audience members).

For the record, Ronnie said he was off to Ireland today to watch his horse race. Then next week LA thumbs up

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:23

So is Ronnie back on the booze?

Date: April 30, 2015 12:23

Thanks to paulyw for the nice description of the entire interview. Ronnie rocks!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:24

FYI, Ronnie was sipping water all night.

Date: April 30, 2015 12:39

Beast
I second Paulywaul's description of last night. It was great to see and hear Ronnie in full anecdotal flow and telling some wonderful tales. Whispering Bob Harris was just the ticket for such a nicely relaxed and informal "interview".

Jeroen - I believe it was being officially filmed (and the ushers were giving out "no recording" instructions to audience members).

For the record, Ronnie said he was off to Ireland today to watch his horse race. Then next week LA thumbs up

Thanks for the reply Beast !!
Jeroen

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: April 30, 2015 13:44

then
Ronnie Wood launch evening to celebrate the upcoming release of his new book,
How Can It Be? A Rock & Roll Diary, The Ambassadors Theatre, West Street,London WC2.
I have a great view five rows from the stage in the centre of the row.
Ronnie Wood is back at this venue where I saw him play solo shows in 2010.
The venue holds a cosy 444 and looks full up.
For those that paid it was £45 which seemed a bit steep for a Q n A.
On the plus side everyone got a nice Ronnie Wood tote bag which included Ronnie Wood embossed items.
A programme dated for tonight's show, a poster of tonight's show,a Ronnie Wood drawing pencil
and a Ronnie Wood guitar pic.
The event lasted from 8.05pm to 9.40pm and we have a big screen that was well used.
First we have an introduction from BBC Radio dj Annie Nightingale who talks about 1965 and shows
some photos including one of her standing behind Mick Jagger at a recording of the tv programme
Ready Steady Go from the mid 60s.
A short film of Ronnie in his studio painting and drawing was really good.
This intro lasts for around 15 mins then Ronnie comes out in a smart suit and sparkly shoes.
He is joined by former Old Grey Whistle Test host and BBC Radio dj Bob Harris who asks the questions.
They speak mainly about 1965 and have photos and pages from the diary up on the big screen.
The singer with his band from that time The Birds(Ali McKenzie) is in the same row as me helping out
with some of the answers to questions that Ronnie could not remember properly.
There seemed a lack of Rolling Stones members or any other known musicians in the crowd.
Ronnie Woods wife was here and Bill Wymans wife was here but that was about it.
Also here was Ronnie Woods dog that would bark every now and then.
Lots of amusing quotes from the book about playing The 100 Club and many other venues.
Chasing up dodgy promoters that would try and get out of paying them the agreed fee.
The singer said he used to be the one that handled that.
Ronnie talked fondly of the Blues guitar players from America and British guitarists of the time.
Near the end we had a film of Ronnie in the studio with an updated version of 'How Can It Be?'.
A few questions at the end included the obvious one about The Faces reforming.
Ronnie said 'Rods manager is all about money,money money but that it will eventually happen'
Ronnie said 'Hopefully I will get Steve Winwood on keyboards'.
Ronnie said 'In the morning I will leave to see my horse run in Ireland'.
Ronnie said 'I leave for Los Angeles on Tuesday for The Stones American Tour'.
The first edition of the book comes out 08 June and another version is out in Sept...beware it ain't cheap...
At the end of the show around 20 of us waited an hour for Ronnie to come out.
He eventually rushed out to his waiting car and did not sign one thing.
A very enjoyable evening.
Ray Morrissey...www.raysgigs.com.

Date: April 30, 2015 14:31

Thanks for posting that Ronnierocks

"On the plus side everyone got a nice Ronnie Wood tote bag which included Ronnie Wood embossed items. A programme dated for tonight's show, a poster of tonight's show,a Ronnie Wood drawing pencil and a Ronnie Wood guitar pic."

If anyone who attended is ever in the mood to post pictures of the poster and the other items they would be fun to see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 14:32 by Leonioid.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 30, 2015 15:40

Thanks Paul and Ronnierocks!

TE
Oslo

Ronnie Wood - Ambassadors Theatre April 29th
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 30, 2015 15:57

[twitter.com]

A very cool evening with @ronniewood and @aanightingale - listen here!

[audioboom.com]

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 30, 2015 17:17

Ronnie also confirmed that Stones rehearsals start on Tuesday.

A good evening was had by all.

sc uk

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 30, 2015 17:53

[twitter.com]

Ronnie is off to some horse race.

Date: April 30, 2015 22:29

[www.ebay.co.uk]
ps not me selling ! What a turd this seller is

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 22:32 by dishevelmentblues.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 30, 2015 22:34

Okay so Ronnies Book comes in a canvas bag. Delightful

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 30, 2015 23:06

There is a great listing on eBay here!
[m.ebay.co.uk]

I think you get a big toe with the package too.

Date: April 30, 2015 23:08

2nd one hes advertised today. Hope he isnt the bloke/ so called fan who was wandering around the venue before the start, gathering up the bags on empty seats, lifting at least 8 of them .....

Date: May 1, 2015 00:02

Leonioid
Thanks for posting that Ronnierocks

"On the plus side everyone got a nice Ronnie Wood tote bag which included Ronnie Wood embossed items. A programme dated for tonight's show, a poster of tonight's show,a Ronnie Wood drawing pencil and a Ronnie Wood guitar pic."

If anyone who attended is ever in the mood to post pictures of the poster and the other items they would be fun to see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-01 03:47 by Leonioid.

Date: May 1, 2015 02:33

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 1, 2015 03:41

Thanks for the reports everyone, sounds like much fun hearing Ronnie's stories.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 1, 2015 12:23

Just had a look at racing results and Ronnies' horse Sandymount Duke, came fourth, but an outsider at 20/1.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home