Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: RIP B.B. King
Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2015 19:07

Heard the news this morning.
Glad I got to see him live a few times, RIP BB.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: May 15, 2015 19:11

R.I.P. This is like losing a family member, I saw him a bunch though, always at the front of the stage.

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: chop ()
Date: May 15, 2015 19:16

Always found his music kind of boring and unmoving, never understood what the fuss was about.

Nontheless, RIP. He inspired many

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:02

Thank you for being here and passing it on.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:06

A couple things that really stick in my memory of having worked a show with Mr. King.

First he was really nice to the crew, totally approachable and as I've said, he spent over an hour talking to me a a couple other guys about music, guitars and approach to the blues. I remember him saying something about how storytelling was an important part of performing songs and I recall how big and strong his fingers looked as we watched him demonstrate some of his classic fills. I thought "well that looks pretty damn easy"....of course I've never quite been able to duplicate those "easy" licks.

Second I remember being a bit shocked that he carried his own amp onto the stage. It wasn't actually his amp, just a standard stock 2 speaker Fender Twin or Deluxe or something we had rented for him. His contract asked for two of them, one for a spare. He carried it to to the front center of the stage, pulled his chair up next to it, then went back and got his guitar case. He sat down and opened his case and pulled out a black hollow body with "BB King" pearl inlayed on the fretboard. He plugged in, turned the amp on, and spent about a minute adjusting the controls. I recall he basically just turned everything UP, starting with the midrange, then the bass and finally the treble, playing a few runs in between every adjustment. It didn't take long, and here was this legend, with a rented amp, no special effects or treatment, sounding awesome! No frills for this guy, no nitpicking and long soundcheck, no special treatment, just plug and play. He didn't even play with the band prior to the show, just made sure his rig was working OK before he retired with his guitar to the dressing room.

Humble, easy going and gentleman don't even begin to describe that man, a true gem and American treasure who will be sorely missed.

peace

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:19

@chop :

get Live At The Regal" before you jump to hasty conclusions... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 22:24 by dcba.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:28

BB with BB (Big Bird)

Rest in peace Mr. King.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 15, 2015 21:36

Bill Wyman pays tribute:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:40

I cannot develop it. But certainly, a blues genre defining musician has been lost with BB King passing away. Another sad moment for lovers of the blues and / or bluesbased music. His recorded music remains.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:41

Thanks so much to all on here that posted of there own memories of meeting B.B. King or working with him.

So nice to hear that he comes across as a really nice guy.

So many tributes coming through from a lot of musicians and performers who appreciated him as a big influence on their own work.

God Bless You B.B. King.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:53

The Thrill Has Gone.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 15, 2015 22:04

A giant has passed. I enjoyed seeing B and his band play many times. Real pros. Once I saw BB play in Alberschwende, Austria, July 2001. Willy DeVille was the opening act for this outdoor gig. Just before BB King came on the weather switched from summer warm to a cold, nasty,stormy deal that brought a huge downpour. BB Kings band came on and said they were going to give everything they had tonight for those that waited around soaked in the rain for the gig. Played extra long and thanked everyone for coming. What a gent!

Saw him first in 1969 when I was 16 at Ravinia up in the North Chicago burbs. We jumped the fence and snuck in. That was my first real blues gig and I was all in after that. BB was always soulful player, but that first time I saw him I was amazed. Would have loved to have seen BB and Peter Green play in England with the mighty Mac circa 1969. I have heard those gigs were scary good. Pity there are no bootlegs of that stuff.

B made alot of people happy. RIP.

Date: May 15, 2015 22:31

His first record from 1949.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 22:32

Naturalust
A couple things that really stick in my memory of having worked a show with Mr. King.

Really nice story, thanks for sharing! BB was definitely one of the musicians that I would have loved to have a chance to talk to.

I have really enjoyed reading his autobiography - very sincere and it really felt like if BB was talking to me. Again - nice guy, it is a pitty he is gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 22:33 by Happy24.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 15, 2015 22:39

"It didn't take long, and here was this legend, with a rented amp, no special effects or treatment, sounding awesome! No frills for this guy, no nitpicking and long soundcheck, no special treatment, just plug and play."

thank you for your words Mister Naturalust

Date: May 15, 2015 22:57

"We had some great times and I will miss him. Wanted to share a moment from1997 in Chicago. Peace BB.” - KR

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:13

I like this, it's a staple on my personal audio device:

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:41

Hi all.

It´s a very sad day.
But, all in all, B.B. King was one of those men who did contribute to make the world a better place.

Thank you so much.

Rest in Peace.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:42

I shook the man's hand, many many years ago (3rd november 1990) when I was a young brand manager and he was touring with the Philip Morris Superband. My boss and me didn't want to disturb him before the concert, but he insisted. A gentlemen and true professional. Big hands, I remember.. Saw him in concert before and since, but the last time I saw him in Montreux, I couldn't last the concert. It was too sad to see a fragile old man just playing a couple of notes. That was not how I wanted to remember him.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:47

RIP...............Thank you for the great music....

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:57

Untill his seventieth B.B. still did three hundred concerts a year. In his entire life he has thereby been more than 15,000 times on the podium.
The Man has lightened the World

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: May 16, 2015 00:10

A great loss for music.
Saw him back in '98 or '99 from the front row, wonderful showman. I was real impressed that he cared enough to tour with his own large band. He was a true King of the Blues, he did it the only way he knew how.
Funnily enough a few years later, I was dating a nurse who treated him, for diabetic complications, while he was in town; he'd been rushed into the Renal unit where she worked. She told me that he was in pretty rough shape even back then. Yet he was still touring the world doing 200+ shows a year

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:12

Perhaps the last one of his generation is gone. What a great man.

RIP

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:24

Rest in peace BB. You were truly the spokesman for the blues! And thank you Rolling Stones for turning me on to BB and others like him.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:47

God bless the King. Love

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 16, 2015 01:54

We have been blessed to have BB King around as long as we did.
A true King of the blues. His legend will live on. Peace.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: May 16, 2015 03:03

Very sad news rest in peace B.B. Thank you for all the great music.

B.B. King has died
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 15, 2015 18:49

R.I.P. Now, I am going to go play Indianola Mississippi Seeds by the late Mister King.

Re: B.B. King has died
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 15, 2015 20:54

RIP BB King

Re: B.B. King has died
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 15, 2015 23:42

Saw him a number of times; always great but the first time in 1972 was a revelation. I was used to seeing long hairs in jeans regaling the audience with "hey mans" and f bombs and here was a virtual orchestra (shout out to Sonny Freeman and the Unusuals) -- grown men and expert musicians in tuxes calibrated like a Swiss watch. And B.B. at the helm, a master of performance and showmanship. And delivering. And there were a lot his albums in play for us in those days -- "At the Regal", "Live at Cook County Jail", "Indianola", "In London", "To Know You is to Love You", "Guess Who"....

Peace be with you and thanks for all the great music.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home