Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith set - Chuck Berry songs
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 1, 2015 01:48

If they can't change the main set continually, maybe Keith can change his up a bit more.. Who cares if Little Queenie or Carol gets done 'correctly'. At a giant party concert we'd all love to singalong to a rough rendition of any Chuck Berry classic!

Re: Keith set - Chuck Berry songs
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 1, 2015 02:01

Really hope they change it up a bit. Especially if we are not getting any new songs. Would love to hear Let It Rock, would be fitting with the Sticky reissue.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:40

April Fool? winking smiley

I'd rather hear Slipping Away and Thru and Thru...

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 1, 2015 06:41

I agree with flacvinyl. Keith did a pretty damn good version of Run Run Rudolph. So why not pick another Chuck Berry tune? Through in another Buddy Holly song or a Johnny cash song.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: pooroldgrandad ()
Date: April 1, 2015 11:17

Havana moon, please.

To celebrate normalization with Cuba and US.

Posted by: M4rkRNR ()
Date: April 2, 2015 10:22

Didnt he played/singed sweet little rock n roller at the Clapton Crossroads in 2012

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 10:23 by M4rkRNR.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 2, 2015 17:17

He could actually try Little Red rooster, toned down, sitting, no acting. Now THAT would be something.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 2, 2015 17:55

The thing is . . . it's the Keith set. He likes to do his songs there, understandably. He's not going to take his 10 minutes in the spotlight and do someone else's song, which would negate his whole point.

Which is not to say that keith with an acoustic doing old blues couldn't be great. But it will never be part of a Stones show.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: April 2, 2015 21:59

Rokyfan
The thing is . . . it's the Keith set. He likes to do his songs there, understandably. He's not going to take his 10 minutes in the spotlight and do someone else's song, which would negate his whole point.

Which is not to say that keith with an acoustic doing old blues couldn't be great. But it will never be part of a Stones show.

Didn't he do Buddy Holly in Texas in 2005?

Date: April 2, 2015 23:40

PRICELESS.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 3, 2015 00:23

Rokyfan

He sang "The Nearness of You" many times during the 2003 club shows. Keith doesn't have a problem doing a cover if it's something that's near and dear to his heart. If he was going to do Chuck Berry, the only tune that would work well would be "Sweet Little Rock and Roller" as he did at Clapton's Crossroads just 2 years ago:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 00:24 by Justin.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 3, 2015 01:04

Way too many great rarely, if ever, played Stones tunes they should dust off first before considering playing covers, imo. I would consider it somewhat of a cop out and a sign they couldn't get it together on their own numbers, no disrespect to Chuck Berry.

peace

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:15

Justin
He sang "The Nearness of You" many times during the 2003 club shows.

He also sang it in Prague in fornt of 80.000 people. It really is a song for club shows, but it worked perfectly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 15:15 by Happy24.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 4, 2015 11:57

I think they definitely should do some Chuck Berry covers. It's a great nod to the tours of 69-73 and a great tribute to Chuck B.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:17

nankerphlege
Through in

...???

(or did you mean "throw in..." !?)

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:38

I was sure they’d perform a Chuck classic on the 50 & Counting tour, to honor their mentor - it seemed such an obvious choice (and Chuck tunes always go down well w/ the audience). I was quite disappointed by the omission. I thought then and still think it would be great if they would do “Little Queenie” with Mick, Keith & Ronnie each taking a solo turn on lead vocals for several lines and all 3 coming together for the “Go Go Go Little Queenie” parts. I would LOVE that and think it would be well received. It would also be very cool to hear Ronnie on vocals – he’s sounding better than ever these days smiling smiley.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:48

Have they fallen out with chuck so playing his songs is an issue ?

Date: May 4, 2015 15:46

EJM
Have they fallen out with chuck so playing his songs is an issue ?

I had heard the same, but they did to Around and Around on the last US stretch.

If the Stones are going to be on auto pilot, I can't think of anything they do better than Chuck Berry tunes. Keith and Ronnie both love playing them and Mick genuinely gets a lot out of the crowd. Just let Charlie pick the beat. Hopefully more like the 97 versions!

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 4, 2015 16:11

^^^
Flacnvinyl, do you happen to recall the show(s) at which they performed Around and Around in 2013? I'd love to pull it up on youtube (so far no luck). Also, do you have details regarding friction between Chuck and the Stones? I hadn't heard about any discord. I know Keith played w/ him @ that Kennedy Library performance in 2012. Perhaps if CBII is around he may be able to shed some light on the matter as well.

Date: May 4, 2015 16:17

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 4, 2015 18:38

but that's 2012, isn't it?

Date: May 4, 2015 18:55

Nikkei
but that's 2012, isn't it?

Very close to 2013, and the only time they played it smiling smiley

Date: May 4, 2015 19:24

Plink
^^^
Flacnvinyl, do you happen to recall the show(s) at which they performed Around and Around in 2013? I'd love to pull it up on youtube (so far no luck). Also, do you have details regarding friction between Chuck and the Stones? I hadn't heard about any discord. I know Keith played w/ him @ that Kennedy Library performance in 2012. Perhaps if CBII is around he may be able to shed some light on the matter as well.

DP posted the video above. The issue with Chuck and the Stones is more Chuck and Keith.. Keith Richards helped Johnnie Johnson get royalties he was due from Chuck. I do not have a ton of insight on that, beyond what we know from Hail Hail Rocknroll and from what other posts have shared. Basically Johnnie wrote the melody for many songs, but Chuck got all the credit/royalties.

Relevant link - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/johnnie-johnson-sues-chuck-berry-20001201

I am sure this had an effect, but I still think the Stones should play Chuck Berry tunes. Dedicate one every night to Johnnie Johnson and let Chuck Leavell play a solo in there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home