Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Mayall/P Green/McVie & M Fleetwood '67 New Release
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 25, 2015 10:22

TravelinMan
ash
Exciting news for Green fans is that there should be a book out (maybe later this year) detailing every extant recording involving PG up to his last (uncredited) Fleetwood Mac session. I've helped a little bit with the research and from what i've seen the author has done an excellent job. I think he's just finishing off and then self publishing or getting it published. I'll post here when it's due out.

Please do! I love Hjort's book: Strange Brew.

Also, worth looking up is the Martin Celmins authorised biography of Peter. I met Martin in a bar in Badford, West Yorkshire (our home town) sometime after its release. He is quite a blues historian, and a very fair guitarist (stage name Jet Black). I had heard he wss writingba book on Rory Gallagher, but not seen it yet.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 05:08

ash
Exciting news for Green fans is that there should be a book out (maybe later this year) detailing every extant recording involving PG up to his last (uncredited) Fleetwood Mac session. I've helped a little bit with the research and from what i've seen the author has done an excellent job. I think he's just finishing off and then self publishing or getting it published. I'll post here when it's due out.

Just thought I'd bump this thread at the chance of some updated info on this book. Anything happening yet, ash??

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 22, 2015 14:35

He's trying to get a publisher. It's finished. May end up being self-published.
I'll let you know when it's gonna happen.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 22, 2015 14:48

Peter Green is interviewed in the BB King documentary 'The life of Riley' - it's on Netflix.

I was amused to see a book about Dutch soccer player Jaap Stam (who played for Manchester United) in his book case.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 22, 2015 16:36

BTW.:
Did anybody here read Dick Heckstall Smith's nice bio from some years ago?

Date: August 22, 2015 17:19

ash
He's trying to get a publisher. It's finished. May end up being self-published.
I'll let you know when it's gonna happen.

Maybe he could try this: [www.indiegogo.com]

Might be a good option for someone in his position.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait til it comes out!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 7, 2016 10:40

Just in case some of you overlooked it at first like I did, there's a second volume of this live stuff out officially:

[www.jpc.de]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 7, 2016 12:47

Rank Stranger
Just in case some of you overlooked it at first like I did, there's a second volume of this live stuff out officially:

[www.jpc.de]

[www.amazon.com]

Many many thanks my friend.
I'll buy it.
I think that this line up was very good and here Peter Green was on fire.

Date: May 9, 2016 05:06

Rank Stranger

[www.jpc.de]

[www.amazon.com]

I was not aware of this, so once again...

achilles77
LOVE Peter Green and the original Fleetwood Mac!! I'll be getting this. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

thumbs up

Date: May 9, 2016 05:07

achilles77
ash

Just thought I'd bump this thread at the chance of some updated info on this book. Anything happening yet, ash??

Been a while. Any updates yet?

Date: May 9, 2016 12:09

He's still working on it ! I think it was finished but then came little bits of fine tuning, a few new things showed up and some updated info. I think Rich's plan is still to self publish and then have a website/blog for updates.
I will post on a few boards such as this one when it's ready to go.

Date: May 16, 2016 02:59

Thanks ash. Definetly looking forward to it!

Been listening to the new volume a lot. Some killer stuff on this one also.
Peter Green just blows my mind again.

I'm so glad this stuff came out, otherwise we would never really know or appreciate how great a live band the Peter Green era of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers was.

Date: May 16, 2016 13:08

achilles77
Thanks ash. Definetly looking forward to it!

Been listening to the new volume a lot. Some killer stuff on this one also.
Peter Green just blows my mind again.

I'm so glad this stuff came out, otherwise we would never really know or appreciate how great a live band the Peter Green era of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers was.

thumbs up

Date: May 16, 2016 15:22

I hope they do another volume but they might as well just release all these gigs in full.
Been listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac Green-era shows recently. What an incredible talent he was as a guitarist, songwriter and singer. I still think that he and Danny Kirwan were the finest guitar double act ever from the UK and Green himself was at least as good as anyone you care to mention.

Date: May 16, 2016 15:36

Then play on is a masterpiece.

Date: May 17, 2016 15:06

The Boston Tea Party gig set is even better though i preferred the balance on the old vinyl lps as Danny has been mixed down a bit on the remixes.
There are dozens of Green-era Mac shows out there and most of them are outstanding. They should all be released with all due haste !

Date: July 4, 2017 21:37

ash

ash
He's still working on it ! I think it was finished but then came little bits of fine tuning, a few new things showed up and some updated info. I think Rich's plan is still to self publish and then have a website/blog for updates.
I will post on a few boards such as this one when it's ready to go.

Hey ash,

I don't know if you have any updated info on that book yet, but I just found out about this other book...

[www.fleetwoodmacbook.com]

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Ridiculously expensive right now, but like the other books that have come out from this company, a regular affordable version will eventually be out. I'll be all over it when it does. (Looks awesome. Check out the video).

thumbs up smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 4, 2017 22:16

I'm still looking for some FMac shows from the Peter Green era,
like these:

1970-01-7/11 Whisky A Go-Go
1970-03-18 Hannover
1970-03-19 Berlin
1970-03-25 Vienna

and others I have noteven heard of...
anybody out there who can help me?
Thanks.

Date: July 5, 2017 10:22

Hi everyone, not been able to log in for a while so apologies for the delay in updating Green fans. (Thanks to Bjornulf for helping me out with login)

Rich Orlando's books came out as 3 ebooks and I believe are currently being prepared as "real" books.
You can find out more info here
[smilingcorgipress.com]

As a Green Mac collector for around 25 years I can honestly say that Rich has done an incredible job. Every known surviving recording is detailed with a lot of background on all the covers PGFM performed in the studio and in concert.You will learn "tonnes of stuff" about Green's influences and it also works as a much needed guide as to what tapes are out there in the darker corners of collector land. All of them fully reviewed.
This is not a book about fingernails, grave digging and Munich, it really is about the music. If you have more than a passing interest you really need to check these ebooks out.
Rich also has a blog there for updates and corrections.
I know ebooks aren't everyone's cup of tea but I cannot recommend these books highly enough. The Stones, Beatles, Who etc... have all had their careers detailed in fairly meticulous detail but Green's work has not. In my opinion he was one of the very greatest musicians of that era and arguably the finest UK guitarist in an era that boasted quite a few pretty good ones !
As I said, go here and dive in.
[smilingcorgipress.com]

Date: July 5, 2017 19:49

Thanks; I'm aware of the Orlando ebooks, a Dutch early Mac collector I'm in touch with recommended them, but I don't have an ebook reader.
I'm in the process of getting me a new pc with Windows 10; I'm still running on XP.
I was told that it is possible to read ebooks with the internet explorer?!

So I will check these books out very soon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2017 19:59

Can someone recommend a good biography on Peter Greene - not just the musical side, but his entire life?

Date: July 5, 2017 22:17

Martin Celmins biography is the best.

Date: July 5, 2017 22:20

Really worth it. I'm not keen on ebooks for this kind of thing either but Rich is having to privately publish so it was his best option. On the plus side the print book will have corrections.
(sent you an email re concert requests)

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 2, 2017 15:39

ash
I've been lucky enough to hear all the gigs this is excerpted from. Well worth picking up - it's Peter Green.
I got this today.
You will not regret it.
So I put it back up

Date: November 26, 2017 20:02

ash
Hi everyone, not been able to log in for a while so apologies for the delay in updating Green fans. (Thanks to Bjornulf for helping me out with login)

Rich Orlando's books came out as 3 ebooks and I believe are currently being prepared as "real" books.
[smilingcorgipress.com]

As a Green Mac collector for around 25 years I can honestly say that Rich has done an incredible job. Every known surviving recording is detailed with a lot of background on all the covers PGFM performed in the studio and in concert.You will learn "tonnes of stuff" about Green's influences and it also works as a much needed guide as to what tapes are out there in the darker corners of collector land. All of them fully reviewed.
This is not a book about fingernails, grave digging and Munich, it really is about the music. If you have more than a passing interest you really need to check these ebooks out.
I know ebooks aren't everyone's cup of tea but I cannot recommend these books highly enough. The Stones, Beatles, Who etc... have all had their careers detailed in fairly meticulous detail but Green's work has not. In my opinion he was one of the very greatest musicians of that era and arguably the finest UK guitarist in an era that boasted quite a few pretty good ones !
[smilingcorgipress.com]

Hi ash,

I submitted a message on that webpage for the book regarding an update on the paperback release a while back, but never received a response. Since you're closer to the author, do you know anything of the current status of the paperback aspect of the project?

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-26 20:04 by achilles77.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: November 26, 2017 23:47

Funny or typical ? Nobody here is mentioning Freddie King...If You look at the setlist, that's the man with the biggest influence on all of these guitarplayers. I Love Peter Green, but Freddie King is the man ..winking smiley

Tom

Date: November 27, 2017 01:34

achilles77
ash

[smilingcorgipress.com]

[smilingcorgipress.com]

Hi ash,

I submitted a message on that webpage for the book regarding an update on the paperback release a while back, but never received a response. Since you're closer to the author, do you know anything of the current status of the paperback aspect of the project?

thanks

Hi Achilles77, I know Rich was working really hard to get this ready for December release as a paperback (writer). Not sure if this is still going to happen by that time but it will be soon. Since the ebooks came out, more Green Mac recordings have surfaced (I sent him a new find just hours ago) and I know Rich has made various corrections and additions to his ebooks. For absolute sure his books are the cutting edge of Green research. I apologise on his behalf if he's not replied. I know he has been exceptionally busy.
I can say that as an extremely serious Green Mac nerd myself, that Rich's work is top notch. Stones fans have Nico and Felix, Mop-heads have Lewisohn and Sulpy (and many others) and Green Mac fans have Rich Orlando.
I am sorry that you did not receive a response from Rich but I hope this message will suffice for now. I will try and post further when I have more info. Feel free to PM me should you have any further questions. I have the ebooks and am in regular touch but just as yourself, I would like a hard copy of his work. I am fairly stunned that more people don't seem to be fans of Green's work. At his best he was at least as good as anyone you care to mention be it Hendrix, Wilson (Brian), Mop Tops or Stoners. He and Danny Kirwan were probably the best British guitar double act of that or any other era and I don't throw that praise around lightly on this forum !

Date: November 29, 2017 04:24

ash
achilles77
ash

[smilingcorgipress.com]

[smilingcorgipress.com]

Hi ash,

thanks

Hi Achilles77, I know Rich was working really hard to get this ready for December release as a paperback (writer). Not sure if this is still going to happen by that time but it will be soon. Since the ebooks came out, more Green Mac recordings have surfaced (I sent him a new find just hours ago) and I know Rich has made various corrections and additions to his ebooks. For absolute sure his books are the cutting edge of Green research. I apologise on his behalf if he's not replied. I know he has been exceptionally busy.
I can say that as an extremely serious Green Mac nerd myself, that Rich's work is top notch. Stones fans have Nico and Felix, Mop-heads have Lewisohn and Sulpy (and many others) and Green Mac fans have Rich Orlando.
I am sorry that you did not receive a response from Rich but I hope this message will suffice for now. I will try and post further when I have more info. Feel free to PM me should you have any further questions. I have the ebooks and am in regular touch but just as yourself, I would like a hard copy of his work. I am fairly stunned that more people don't seem to be fans of Green's work. At his best he was at least as good as anyone you care to mention be it Hendrix, Wilson (Brian), Mop Tops or Stoners. He and Danny Kirwan were probably the best British guitar double act of that or any other era and I don't throw that praise around lightly on this forum !

Great reply! Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. REALLY looking forward to the book. Guaranteed buyer here!

thumbs up

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 30, 2018 13:05

Any more news on the physical book?

Date: May 31, 2018 03:57

achilles77
ash
achilles77
ash

[smilingcorgipress.com]

[smilingcorgipress.com]

Hi ash,

thanks

Great reply! Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. REALLY looking forward to the book. Guaranteed buyer here!

thumbs up

Just checked back with those links and sure enough, the paperback(s) are now available. Didn't know it was going to be three separate books. I just purchased all three volumes!!

Glad I checked back. Can't wait for their arrival!

*EDIT*

Just found this news link about the author and his devoted research:

[www.burlingtoncountytimes.com]

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 01:53 by achilles77.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home