Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick & Keith- WHY?
Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:00

I totally understand where the people come from when they say they do not want to see a show without MT. I get why people still looking for socially relevent art are disappointed in the continued touring of this particular performing musical entity.

Thankfully I disagree with them , and highly doubt, despite thier apocalyptic view, that their abscence will even be noticed this summer. No one has added anything new to the Beethoven cataloque for a long long time, so I guess this makes the next performance of his 9th by a bunch of sitting well dressed nameless orchestra memebers just another money grabbing event we should all avoid.

Yes they will make a boatload of money, but if any of you think that any amount of money could get either Mick or Keith to do something they don't enjoy , you have missed the boat. They are having a good time, most of us are having a good time, too bad you guys can't. Hey but at least you can enjoy your noble rhetoric.

IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
and I like it.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:06

I hope they will come back to HongKong,I would love to see the Stones again

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:11

kahoosier
I totally understand where the people come from when they say they do not want to see a show without MT. I get why people still looking for socially relevent art are disappointed in the continued touring of this particular performing musical entity.

Thankfully I disagree with them , and highly doubt, despite thier apocalyptic view, that their abscence will even be noticed this summer. No one has added anything new to the Beethoven cataloque for a long long time, so I guess this makes the next performance of his 9th by a bunch of sitting well dressed nameless orchestra memebers just another money grabbing event we should all avoid.

Yes they will make a boatload of money, but if any of you think that any amount of money could get either Mick or Keith to do something they don't enjoy , you have missed the boat. They are having a good time, most of us are having a good time, too bad you guys can't. Hey but at least you can enjoy your noble rhetoric.

IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
and I like it.
It's just venting my friend...stemming from disappointment. No attempt at being noble and no one is begrudging you a good time. I hope you have a blast...and good times can be had at any concert by any band...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 1, 2015 04:25

Nikkei
Chacal
Good luck on their last round of fleecing the tourists with this Ersatz.
What a lamentable way to cap a 50 + year career in music.
A truly sad state of affairs.
well, this ersatz essentially constitutes half of that career. bit late to complain.

thumbs up More than half actually. There are plenty of long time fans like myself who would prefer to see Taylor add his talents to this tour, but won't forsake the band and complain and are truly happy and excited for this round of shows.

But it is interesting to see how many people are basing their commitment to this band (and board) on a member who has been gone 40 years. I can't deny I'm a bit touched by the love for him after all these years.

peace

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 1, 2015 12:28

stonehearted
I posted somewhere months back that so long as the Stones were doing their 50 & Counting celebrations, Mick Taylor would be invited.

It is obvious that the time has come when the 50th celebrations are over and they are moving on. Because they seem to be on a perpetual burst of mini-tours, it is hard to tell when the overall theme or approach changes.

So if they have a deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers to tour behind, then this signals the change. They're back in their U.S. market again after just 2 years--a thing previously unheard of since the mid-1960s. So, obviously, they can't trot out the same anniversary tour concept with the same special guest(s) in the same arenas, and certainly not at the same prices.

The 50 & Counting global trek was a look at their history in general, spanning 50 years plus, so they invited former members Taylor and Wyman to help celebrate that. But with this tour, which is obviously not a continuation of 50 & Counting, it is a celebration of a particular point in their history, not their history in general.

If Bill Wyman had agreed to tour the world with them from 2012 to 2014 to celebrate 50 years, he would have gotten the same message from the same lawyer saying that he would not be invited in 2015.

You can't have former members as special guests forever, can you? That was never in the cards.

No insider info here, just good common sense.

thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 1, 2015 13:37

Dreamer
stonehearted
I posted somewhere months back that so long as the Stones were doing their 50 & Counting celebrations, Mick Taylor would be invited.

It is obvious that the time has come when the 50th celebrations are over and they are moving on. Because they seem to be on a perpetual burst of mini-tours, it is hard to tell when the overall theme or approach changes.

So if they have a deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers to tour behind, then this signals the change. They're back in their U.S. market again after just 2 years--a thing previously unheard of since the mid-1960s. So, obviously, they can't trot out the same anniversary tour concept with the same special guest(s) in the same arenas, and certainly not at the same prices.

The 50 & Counting global trek was a look at their history in general, spanning 50 years plus, so they invited former members Taylor and Wyman to help celebrate that. But with this tour, which is obviously not a continuation of 50 & Counting, it is a celebration of a particular point in their history, not their history in general.

If Bill Wyman had agreed to tour the world with them from 2012 to 2014 to celebrate 50 years, he would have gotten the same message from the same lawyer saying that he would not be invited in 2015.

You can't have former members as special guests forever, can you? That was never in the cards.

No insider info here, just good common sense.

thumbs up

Ok but why not invite a musician and former bandmember who contributed so significantly to the album being rereleased..
Since the tour is based on this album and he was a big part of it? also seems common sense..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 1, 2015 13:42

beware a hater is lurking !!!

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: April 1, 2015 16:36

so anyone that criticizes and gets pissed off is a "hater" - great - you've turned the stones into justin f----ing bieber

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 16:50

wellalright
“We are excited to be back in North America playing stadiums this summer! We are looking forward to being back on stage and playing your favorite songs.” – Mick Jagger

“We love being out on the road and it is great to come back to North America! I can’t wait to get back on the stage!” – Keith Richards

---

THIS is what it has come to? Two old PR puppets. God this is depressing.

What is wrong with those statements? I would be excited too if I was to tour America, and to play my songs to stadiums full of people willing to spend their time and cash on me.

Whenever I remember those RS concerts I attended the last year, I always have a big smile on my face all of a sudden. I will remember both those nights for the rest of my life. Not too bad for "old PR puppets" as you call them.

But you are absolutely free not to participate on this tour, if that's what makes you happy. You can still comment on unforgivable ticket prices and boring setlists, while hundreds of thousands of other peole will be having a time of their lives.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:07

It 's great Rolling Stones still tour, I began to follow them in '83 and I thought that I would not have ever seen live, in 2015 are still around.
Big Stones! See you on tour!

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:37

ronkeith72
If they perform Sticky Fingers in its entirety without addressing the fact that they're not inviting Mick Taylor its a freaking joke. They're trying to get over on us because all the fans in general will presume MT will be there in an expanded role. It's ludicrous for them to perform Sticky Fingers without him and its deceptive advertising if they don't specifically address the MT issue...

Sticky Fingers in concert is a head fake same as was bringing in MT to weave three guitars together for a fuller sound. They will play a few Sticky Fingers tunes at some select dates. If they get low crowd response they will be cut out. The Stones do crowd pleaser-greatest hits concerts these days.

Date: April 1, 2015 17:40

How is it deceptive advertising if a band chooses to play an album without special guests? confused smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:49

DandelionPowderman
How is it deceptive advertising if a band chooses to play an album without special guests? confused smiley

What we will get if we are lucky is a Sticky Fingers bloc of 3-4 tunes with Miss You being eliminated as a hardy perennial. Miss You will be out out out!

Date: April 1, 2015 17:52

triceratops
DandelionPowderman

What we will get if we are lucky is a Sticky Fingers bloc of 3-4 tunes with Miss You being eliminated as a hardy perennial. Miss You will be out out out!

My guess is that you'll get nothing from SF (maybe BS, B and WH) on the stadium shows. The club shows, however, may be different (if they happen...).

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:35

wellalright
“We are excited to be back in North America playing stadiums this summer! We are looking forward to being back on stage and playing your favorite songs.” – Mick Jagger

“We love being out on the road and it is great to come back to North America! I can’t wait to get back on the stage!” – Keith Richards

---

------------------

I concur, those hackneyed, cliched PR lines sure do suck and sure don't convince me.

I think a question pitched to Roger Moore, former 007 James Bond actor from the UK on his Twitter account says it all really -

------------------

"@sirrogermoore I watched Bullseye again - it still is hilarious after all these years. What was your best memory of making that film?"

@sirrogermoore reply:

"being paid"

------------------

"Bullseye!" was a comedy movie from 1990 directed by Michael Winner, infamous for the Death Wish movie franchise. I've not seen the movie and very much doubt the flick had any auteur quality credentials!

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 1, 2015 21:44

DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman

My guess is that you'll get nothing from SF (maybe BS, B and WH) on the stadium shows. The club shows, however, may be different (if they happen...).

I suspect all the shows will feature CYHMK, Sway, Bitch, Brown Sugar, Dead Flowers and Wild Horses. Why not?

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: April 1, 2015 23:14

Woz
I suspect all the shows will feature CYHMK, Sway, Bitch, Brown Sugar, Dead Flowers and Wild Horses. Why not?

Brown Sugar is a lock at every show. Bitch, Dead Flowers, and Wild Horses are likely, but may be rotated.

I wouldn't count on CYHMK or Sway. CYHMK was very good at the 2012-2013 arena shows but the casual fans who will be the bulk of attendees at these shows don't know it. And the one time the Stones have tried to play Sway in recent years, they pretty much butchered it.

Date: April 1, 2015 23:32

Roscoe
Woz

Brown Sugar is a lock at every show. Bitch, Dead Flowers, and Wild Horses are likely, but may be rotated.

I wouldn't count on CYHMK or Sway. CYHMK was very good at the 2012-2013 arena shows but the casual fans who will be the bulk of attendees at these shows don't know it. And the one time the Stones have tried to play Sway in recent years, they pretty much butchered it.

CYHMK was a staple at the Arena shows in 2002 and was always well received, I think it can make the jump to Stadiums easily, the instrumental passage will go over well. As to Sway, I saw at least two of them in 2006 and agree they were both a bit rough, but I missed the 2013 takes. In any event I wager it turns up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 00:04 by Woz.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 23:35

3 questions here.

whats so wrong about mick and keith being excited about a new tour. if they wernt touring at all you bet folk would be complaining.

is it deffo a sticky fingers tour, ive heard nothing official, and going by a lot of the threads on here over the years its become clear so many people on here jump to conclusions based on what they wish to happen, seen it all with the proposed 2008, then 2009, then 2010 and 2011 tours. ofcourse that was all wishfull thinking and conclusion jumping.

will they actually release a sticky fingers deluxe and will it have outtakes from 1971 finished in 2015 for release like they did with exile, or again is this all guess work and conclusion jumping.

be nice to get proper info on here which you do from time to time but it gets lost in the many threads which are frequented by the conclusion jumpers and wishfull thinkers.

Posted by: dalsh327 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 23:52

I wouldn't rule Mick Taylor out. It's probably a lot harder to get Mick, Keith and Charlie to commit to touring.

I'm also wondering if they're going to book a show in Cuba, Daryl Jones just did some shows with Dead Daisies there.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 1, 2015 23:57

Don't know if this popped up earlier in this thread, but from this morning's New York Times re the Stones tour:

"Zip Code is the first Stones tour of American stadiums since 'A Bigger Bang Tour' in 2007. This time they promise to play the hits as well as 'special gems from their extraordinary catalog' a tour announcement said. There will be video screens, special effects and a stage 'that extends deep into the audience, allowing the Stones to interact directly with their fans."

Ummm...one can only wonder what those special gems will be. I would prefer special gems as the show over the hits anytime at this stage of the game. And who knows, one of these gems could be "The Singer Not the Song". It has some lines, perhaps, that may be appropos for this tour.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2015 00:01

Roscoe
Woz

CYHMK was only played in 2013, including a fabulous version at Glastonbury where the fact that probably few people knew it (the festival was full before the Stones were added to the lineup) didn't prevent it from being one of the highlights of the show. Obviously with Ronnie clutching to dear life to hack his way through the solo it can't work so well...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 2, 2015 00:05

Rokyfan
brianfly3
"Oh..pardon me.. I was looking for the fan site..

Carry on."

Depressing?

Don't go, don't buy it. It's simple.

Myself, along with thousands and thousands of others are thrilled today...and can't wait to buy Sticky Fingers....again.

The problem isn't Mick and Keith..have a look in the mirror.

PS- Mick Taylor is not in the band. It was a thrill and a pleasure to see him last few times but the show must go on.

fan = someone who agrees with you on everything.

bitcher and whiner = someone who disagrees with you on anything.

I get it. Carry on.

Reminds me of the old adage " a sl*t sleeps with everyone, a b*tch sleeps with everyone but you".

Wellalright, I feel your pain, but Keith's always spouted BS. It was just cooler sounding BS. At least the pretense of the old "once this band gets the smell of blood, baby, you just have to go with it" (cackle cackle--cough- heh heh - snort) is gone.

Date: April 2, 2015 00:07

gotdablouse
Roscoe
Woz

CYHMK was only played in 2013, including a fabulous version at Glastonbury where the fact that probably few people knew it (the festival was full before the Stones were added to the lineup) didn't prevent it from being one of the highlights of the show. Obviously with Ronnie clutching to dear life to hack his way through the solo it can't work so well...

Ridiculous....Ronnie nailed the solo consistently in 2002/2003 when he was out of his gourd on coke and booze. And it was played twice in 2013, in LA and Glastonbury with MT playing the solo.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 00:10 by Woz.

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: April 2, 2015 00:11

Why not?

They aren't here just for their health. They are hustling to get that payday doing what they love, and what we love them to do.

At the tour press-conferences they are more open, but this was just a pre-recorded video, probably done because of the screw up with the first planned announcement.

A fan here.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 2, 2015 02:03

Woz

Ridiculous....Ronnie nailed the solo consistently in 2002/2003 when he was out of his gourd on coke and booze. And it was played twice in 2013, in LA and Glastonbury with MT playing the solo.

Talking about CYHMK, I think Ronnie did pull off those solo's, but barely, and they weren't new, exciting, improvisational or especially inspiring. The best part of those era CYHMK tunes was played by the late great Bobby Keys, imo. Ronnie seemed to do the least amount of work necessary to get through the parts. But that's just my observation, to each his own.

peace

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:26

wellalright

---

This is boilerplate stuff written by some hack. It's hard to come up with good quotes, and you never put them in the press release, you give them in actual interviews with media outlets that take the time to interview you.

Indeed, one of the few things the Stones are still world-class at is PR. Both Mick and Keith are very quotable and if anyone suggests that Keith is too much of a PR puppet watch out he'll create another Todgergate just to prove them wrong.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:47

I wonder if the North American tour is really the "loss leader" to enable them to go to South America - which seems to be what really want to do, as part of what must be their last proper world tour - (Mick probably wants to play I front of his son in his home country apart from any other consideration )

Putting together a fundable package to cash strapped South America seems to have been difficult - I expect they even toyed with the idea of a Las Vegas stint....

In the end their legacy Is in the films, live recordings and the big 4 LPs and it does not really matter what they do now - as keith summed it up " I dont think you quite understand , this is not for you, this is for me " .....

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 4, 2015 13:14

C'mon, that's perfectly alright, and exactly as we know them glimmer twins.

Who doesn't like the programme, is not hindered to switch off.

Take it eaaasy, baby.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 4, 2015 14:13

ronkeith72
If they perform Sticky Fingers in its entirety without addressing the fact that they're not inviting Mick Taylor its a freaking joke. They're trying to get over on us because all the fans in general will presume MT will be there in an expanded role. It's ludicrous for them to perform Sticky Fingers without him and its deceptive advertising if they don't specifically address the MT issue...

JMO but the hardcore fans most likely already know Taylor will not be performing with the band this tour and casual fans, who make up the majority of the attendance at the shows, would not know Mick Taylor from Brian Jones if there life depended on it.

Somehow I doubt many will be dissapointed Mick T. Is not on this tour.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home