Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Pittsburgh PA USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:39

For all you natives, I'm staying at the Doubletree Hilton Suites Downtown and I'm going to have three teenage boys with me. What do you suggest I do with them? Other than feed them...grinning smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:48

Rent kayaks.

If you haven't tried one before, get some Primanit Bros. The poplular sandwich with the fries and coleslaw on them. I like the pastrami and cheese the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 07:53 by MingSubu.

Date: June 15, 2015 07:57

Thanks Ming, that's a good idea. I'm waiting to see what's within walking distance. I know they will want to wander a bit on their own, which is fine, as long as I can trail them and they aren't heading to the wrong part of town. I've never been to Pittsburgh, so I'm looking forward to taking in a few sights. Hope to see some of you there. smiling smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 08:01

Have them stay out of the Hill District.

On this map it would be where Centre, Wylie and Bedford are.

[www.google.com]

Date: June 15, 2015 08:03

The Hill District is/has been being revitalized. It still is a drug/crime area though.

Anything from your hotel down to the point will be ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 08:04 by MingSubu.

Date: June 15, 2015 08:08

I'd also would keep them away from 5th Ave starting at Magee St up to Kirkpatrick St.

The Strip District if fun to walk thru and shop on the weekends. It's busy though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 08:13 by MingSubu.

Date: June 15, 2015 08:13

Thanks very much, Ming. The hotel has a shuttle to downtown, so I'm going to try to get them moving in that direction. They are all excited to see the Stones, so it will be fun no matter what we do.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 15, 2015 14:38

MingSubu
If anyone is interested, Paul Weller is playing a Mr Smalls on June 19.

[www.mrsmalls.com]

Very cool theater and not too far from downtown.

Might well go....he's supporting The Who at Hyde Park the Friday afterwards as well. Does a great show.

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 15, 2015 15:06

Anyone staying at the Marriott on 112 Washington Place? Interested in walking over?

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 15, 2015 15:34

steffialicia
Anyone staying at the Marriott on 112 Washington Place? Interested in walking over?

I'll be at the Doubletree Hilton downtown.

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: TheGoons ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:53

Here's the deal on the Primanti's Brothers sandwich: over the last 10 to 20 years, they've franchised out and now there are a whole lot of locations, both in town and out of state. If you want the full blown experience, go to the original location in the Strip District. Note: many bars/restaurants do a Primanti-esque sandwich that is just as good and sometimes better.

The Paul Weller show is a cool idea; Mr. Small's is an old Catholic church and will probably be packed. If you're going, try to get reservations for the balcony on the Mr. Small's website.

Brew pubs a plenty--our choice is the Church Brew Works.

Since it is a Sticky Fingers kinda year, check out the Warhol Museum; walking distance to Heinz Field. Also, galleries aplenty downtown as well as the Heinz History Center (Strip District) and the Carnegie in Oakland. Also, check out one
of the parks (Point State, Schenley Park/Phipps Conservatory), the Pittsburgh Zoo (Highland Park) and Aviary (also within walking distance of the show).

Nightlife: Carson Street on the Southside. Note: things can get freaky-deaky late at night/early morning.

And free, if you have time, go up to Mount Washington and see the view or ride the incline.

Have fun everybody!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:24

latebloomer
For all you natives, I'm staying at the Doubletree Hilton Suites Downtown and I'm going to have three teenage boys with me. What do you suggest I do with them? Other than feed them...grinning smiley

LOL. I'm staying at the Days Inn with my teenage sons. Maybe we should get them together so they can all bitch about how old the Stones are. Seriously, my kids have seen them twice and are being good sports. This is a special trip for Dad on Fathers Day weekend as they're getting too old to hang with me anymore.

Date: June 15, 2015 21:38

rbk
latebloomer

LOL. I'm staying at the Days Inn with my teenage sons. Maybe we should get them together so they can all bitch about how old the Stones are. Seriously, my kids have seen them twice and are being good sports. This is a special trip for Dad on Fathers Day weekend as they're getting too old to hang with me anymore.

My son has seen them once with me and is excited to be going again. I don't really know about his two friends, but they are up for the road trip, if nothing else. I'm just happy to have a Stones compatriot in the family. My one daughter doesn't really say much about them and the other usually asks me to turn them off when she's in the car. She thinks Sticky Fingers is depressing. It made me stop and think, and really, a lot of the songs are kind of downers, but I love everything about it. Anyway, I don't expect much bitching from the boys, only one of them is mine. They are always nicer with somebody else's parents. smiling smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 23:31

Latebloomer, if I remember correctly, doesn't your son play guitar? If so, a nice shop is located north of the city in a town called blawnox. The store is called n' stuff music or pianos n' stuff. Take 28 north out of town to the blank exit.

There is also pittsburgh guitars on east Carson st in the south side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 23:35 by MingSubu.

Date: June 15, 2015 23:33

If anyone decides on seeing Paul Weller and wants to reserve a balcony seat. You must have a regular ticket first.

Posted by: sgregg ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:38

Does anyone have any idea when the merchandise from the VIP ticket packages will arrive? Should I expect to receive it before the concert, or will it be delivered after the fact?

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:52

i still have not purchased a ticket for saturday. if anyone here is familiar with Heinz field, what do you suggest if your going with side view of the show...seetgeek seems a little misleading vs stubhub on their seat map. any suggestions?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 17, 2015 21:33

MingSubu
The Hill District is/has been being revitalized. It still is a drug/crime area though.

is this like an open air market/farmers market?

Date: June 17, 2015 21:50

TheGreek
MingSubu

is this like an open air market/farmers market?

The strip district is. Where restaurants and people go. ALl types of food shops and markets. It's busy on the week
kend mornings.

Date: June 17, 2015 22:04

LuvtheJag43
Who else is staying at the Omni William Penn? How far is it from Heinz Field? Does Pittsburgh have a hop on hop off bus tour like Philadelphia does? I would love to do a bus tour of the city. How far away is the airport to Omni William Penn?

No hop on hop off here in pittsburgh. There are Segway tours though.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: June 18, 2015 02:07

Leaving Bridgeport, Ct. At 4 am with the family. Pittsburgh here we come. Ready to rock and roll. It will be my 43rd Stones show.. My first being June 22, 1975 MSG. Saturday is my birthday seeing the boys 40 years after my first show in New York. Hope the weather holds up. Enjoy the show for everyone else who is going. My youngest daughter is hoping for All Down The Line. I would love Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 02:45

IrisC
Leaving Bridgeport, Ct. At 4 am with the family. Pittsburgh here we come. Ready to rock and roll. It will be my 43rd Stones show.. My first being June 22, 1975 MSG. Saturday is my birthday seeing the boys 40 years after my first show in New York. Hope the weather holds up. Enjoy the show for everyone else who is going. My youngest daughter is hoping for All Down The Line. I would love Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

IrisC- We're very similar. I'm coming from the opposite direction (Dayton) to about my 40th show (saw the Columbus show on this tour). I first saw them about a week before you, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, June, 1975.

Have a SAFE trip and great time!

I' keepin fingers crossed for Moonlight Mile.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 03:43

Road Trip from NJ to Pittsburgh. Arrive Friday.

Posted by: Dman51 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 03:51

Be there Saturday any food recommendations pre show?

Date: June 18, 2015 08:17

Woody24
IrisC

IrisC- We're very similar. I'm coming from the opposite direction (Dayton) to about my 40th show (saw the Columbus show on this tour). I first saw them about a week before you, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, June, 1975.

Have a SAFE trip and great time!

I' keepin fingers crossed for Moonlight Mile.

Happy birthday IrisC! Enjoy!

And Woody24, small world! My boyfriend goes to the University of Dayton and we're both from Cleveland but we were at the Columbus show and will be in Pittsburgh for the show this weekend. See you all there!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 18, 2015 09:38

Arriving Fri afternoon and staying at Hyatt Place North Shore. Is there anybody coming to the show that would be interested in a late-nite acoustic Stones jam maybe down by the riverfront in front of the Hyatt on Friday and/or Saturday Night? I'm a little rusty. So's my guitar-playing. I could bring one acoustic guitar and/or one acoustic bass. I wouldn't want to play too many big hits. Maybe something from Aftermath, or Turd on the Run. Gomper! That's it...We could play Gomper!!! Some good off-the-wall stuff. What to Do, I Am Waiting, Sittin' on a Fence, 2000 Man, Dear Doctor, Heart of Stone. that kind of stuff. Ooh, just cooked up a snazzy version of Flight 505 that's just dyin' for some accompanyment.

Not looking to do anything virtuosic, just want to jam it out.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-18 19:53 by josepi.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 18, 2015 19:00

Bring ponchos. Maybe "Rain Fall Down" will be in the online vote.

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: June 18, 2015 19:56

Upgraded to sec 136 row J!....but now I'm seeing its going to rain heavily. What a bummer!

Date: June 18, 2015 20:50

Just got to Hampton Inn university center. Not happy with accommodations. Trying to get to another hotel.

Date: June 18, 2015 22:00

Just got to Double Tree on 6th St. Had to switch hotels. If anyone is in the area would love to meet fellow Stones fans. I've been on this board for years. Would love to meet BV. Can't wait till Saturday. My birthday and the Stones. Got my family with me,ready to go!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home