Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:21

Hey with Bruce Willis in the house how hot would it have been if they'd brought him up for a 'harp off" with Mick?? smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:23

alieb
Was great to wake up and read all the reviews! Thanks everyone!

I would not call them reviews, since there was absolutely nothing even slightly critical said about the show.
Maybe the show was perfect and there is nothing at all to complain about?
I don't know. It may have been ''the best show ever'', but the short video from the concert gives the impression of a great concert. But not perfect...
This is also the reason I enjoy reading the reviews by Dean Goodman, since he writes honest reviews and also mentions things he didn't like about the show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 18:23 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:24

wellalright
of all the clips they could post--they shot the whole show--why include that BUM note in MM by Mick? I cringed when I heard it. And in a 1:30 clip why go to such trouble to show celebrities? Show may have been great. Clips are totally lame. Overly polished and Vegas.

It's not meant for you at all so why cringe? It's just marketing and advertising honey cause they got tickets to sell; what's wrong with that?
When they put it on DVD to sell it they will show you something different.
Just get over it and enjoy the fact they did it and there are people here to tell us how it was and we at least have some footage at this moment.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:25

Turner68

that clip is essentially a promo for the rest of the tour, so showing the celebrities tries to send the message that the band is hot, they are a hot ticket, you should go out and get your ticket and you can see the stones just like jack nicholson. it's just marketing. same reason they put models in the front row. i don't like it either, but i understand why they do it. to make money.

You're right but admit it's a master stroke! A killer tour starter, a great way to promote the (deleted) SF reissue, a buzz created around the band in the "they're more relevant than ever!!!" vein, and a DVD/bluray of the show rush-released before the hot coals get cold!

Brilliant! thumbs up

Date: May 21, 2015 18:25

well said Blockbuster-- a little objectivity goes a long way,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 18:27 by wellalright.

Date: May 21, 2015 18:27

Dreamer: "It's not meant for me..."

you don't know me. so who is it meant for? it was posted here. is it meant for anybody here? what makes you so all knowing?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:34

dcba
Turner68

that clip is essentially a promo for the rest of the tour, so showing the celebrities tries to send the message that the band is hot, they are a hot ticket, you should go out and get your ticket and you can see the stones just like jack nicholson. it's just marketing. same reason they put models in the front row. i don't like it either, but i understand why they do it. to make money.

You're right but admit it's a master stroke! A killer tour starter, a great way to promote the (deleted) SF reissue, a buzz created around the band in the "they're more relevant than ever!!!" vein, and a DVD/bluray of the show rush-released before the hot coals get cold!

Brilliant! thumbs up

It's a funny old world though, a friend of mine from LA who is a member here just emailed me this........... Did the Stones do a show there last night.? It's a small place, only about 500, I only live about 5 miles away from it. ............. eye popping smiley

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:35

dcba
Turner68

Brilliant! thumbs up

It would be cool if they did release the show as a stand alone DVD, however I suspect it might end up in something similar to the Four Flicks or Biggest Bang sets

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:36

Did someone score with one of the model girls?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:45

Let It Rock was on Sticky Fingers, was it not?

Posted by: matinil ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:46

hey everybody,

i don’t post very much, but i do read this fun threads and this is my experience with last night show…

i was there at the fonda in the morning to get tickets, i was there at el rey (pick up location to get tickets) to try to get lucky with tickets too, and i was there at the fonda during the show, without any luck to get in.

although im sure the show was amazing, this was not cater to fans… it was a private party for their invites… i’m not saying this angry, i’m not even whinning, but let’s say things the way they are… let’s not trick ourselves… you can debate if the stones owe their fans anything or nothing… but the point is that 99.9% of the people that go in… 1) have some insider that help them get tickets 2) were willing to pay big bucks to get in.

the whole online sale was bullshit… probably only 10 people got tickets that way… i was there at el rey and witness the wristband/ticket pick up from the online sale… those picking up were people inside the music industry, or with some insiders, etc etc…. they weren’t the fans trying to go online and get a ticket.. I even know some of them since I live in LA.

99.9% of the fans that try really hard to get in from early in the morning (like myself) were wondering outside without a ticket when the show started… were we all so unlucky although we all try so hard to get a ticket??

I say again, I’m not whinning, or angry,… but let’s just call things as they are… this was NOT a 5 dollar ticket show for lucky fans who got online in time. That was a bullshit PR/marketing thing… You can thing that’s wrong, you can think that’s right… but let’s agree on that

cheers and see you in San Diego.

Posted by: donnabalancia ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:47

BV and IORR given a plug for last night's show: INCLUDES VIDEO www.californiarocker.com

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:49

It was obviously a very exciting show. The buzz from getting in alone probably had everyone's synapses firing hard, a great setup for further engaging them with some good music.

The reviews by bv and roller99 were great. I somehow trust what they say and have no doubt this was one of the best modern day Stones shows ever. I think it was probably one of those "you had to be there" experiences. I doubt it will truly be captured by the film and recording, even it we get the whole un-edited show.

I do however understand the disappointment some people feel for the fact that more hard core fans couldn't attend. People leaving after 20 minutes kind of blows my mind, wtf? onlystones story of a 5 grand ticket, hooker, blow and limo made me think of Freddie Sessler...and all the reasons I got out of LA....wonder how he'll feel this morning.

The best info I'm getting from those who were there is that the band is hot, Keith is playing and singing really well and that the emotion we expect from Stones songs is going to be delivered this time out. I can only hope they value those emotions as much as pure adrenalin and aren't scared to play all of SF and a kick ass set list. Proud they were able to deliver the goods...what a band!

peace

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:52

After all that has happened in the last 3 days, they have pulled off a great publicity stunt for sales of SF, and sales of gig tix.

The Fonda gig , and everything that went with it,was a business venture that will probably pay off very well by the end of July.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:54

Carnaby

"Brown Sugar" was eventually released in May 1971 as the first single from the album, becoming a No. 1 hit in the United States and Canada and a No. 2 hit in the United Kingdom, and has since become a classic rock radio staple. While the American single featured only "Bitch" as the B-side, the British single featured that track plus a live rendition of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock", recorded at the University of Leeds during the 1971 tour of the UK. In the United States, Billboard ranked it as the No. 16 song for 1971.[10]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 18:55 by boston2006.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:55

crawdaddy
After all that has happened in the last 3 days, they have pulled off a great publicity stunt for sales of SF, and sales of gig tix.

The Fonda gig , and everything that went with it,was a business venture that will probably pay off very well by the end of July.

That's one way to look at it...

Another is that they are giving people what they want, that they love playing live, that they are getting introspective.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:57

donnabalancia
BV and IORR given a plug for last night's show: INCLUDES VIDEO www.californiarocker.com

More like you givin yourself a plug by saying you broke the news.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:12

NY Daily News report

[www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:12

Club gig = people with connections & other people who aren't true fans.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:14

I'm been unable to check in here for a while (frustrating when a new tour is starting!) but I vaguely remembered the rumours of a warm-up/secret gig on 20th May and had to drop by here.

With everything else going on in my life at the moment it seems almost unreal that the Stones are once again playing! So exciting and I love Sticky Fingers. Would love to hear it live.

Haven't had a chance to go through this thread properly but I'm hoping at least some of you here managed to get in to the gig?

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:15

Carnaby

Only in Spain, as far as I know ...

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:18

Naturalust
I somehow trust what they say and have no doubt this was one of the best modern day Stones shows ever. I think it was probably one of those "you had to be there" experiences. I doubt it will truly be captured by the film and recording, even it we get the whole un-edited show.

peace

But how can one of the best moderns Stones shows ever not be made justice by a recording?
Other audience recorded club gigs such as the one at Cirkus in Stockholm on the Licks tour, sounds phenomenal on recording and makes you understand how fantastic the show must have been.
If this Fonda Theatre gig cannot sound fantastic on recording, then it simply wasn't one of their best gigs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 19:26 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: SoCalStone ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:21

I agree with you. I was also in line all day. The Stones management or security team could have sent someone out or relayed a message to say early on "Sorry guys, this is basically an industry show, if you don't have tickets, we will not be able to get you in."
This would have been a nice gesture on their part and it would have saved us 8+ hours of standing in line for nothing. Surely at least by 7:00pm or so they knew they weren't letting anyone in, yet nobody came out and said anything. Their fans who were willing to take off from work and stand outside all day probably deserved something like this. Between the line at the El Rey (which I was in) and the line at the Fonda (which I was also in), there were 300 or so fans waiting in line for the chance to see them. When no annoucements are made to the contrary, you keep thinking there is a chance to get in if you keep waiting patiently. Out of these 300+, I saw only ONE person make it in to the venue (the guy with the hat who was in front of the line all day). Some of us waited until the show was halfway over still thinking there was a chance since so many people were leaving the venue, yet still no entries allowed.
I know we aren't owed anything, I'm just saying it would have been a nice gesture on their part to "release" the line if they had no intention of letting anyone in.
On to San Diego....

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:22

SoCalStone
I agree with you. I was also in line all day. The Stones management or security team could have sent someone out or relayed a message to say early on "Sorry guys, this is basically an industry show, if you don't have tickets, we will not be able to get you in."
This would have been a nice gesture on their part and it would have saved us 8+ hours of standing in line for nothing. Surely at least by 7:00pm or so they knew they weren't letting anyone in, yet nobody came out and said anything. Their fans who were willing to take off from work and stand outside all day probably deserved something like this. Between the line at the El Rey (which I was in) and the line at the Fonda (which I was also in), there were 300 or so fans waiting in line for the chance to see them. When no annoucements are made to the contrary, you keep thinking there is a chance to get in if you keep waiting patiently. Out of these 300+, I saw only ONE person make it in to the venue (the guy with the hat who was in front of the line all day). Some of us waited until the show was halfway over still thinking there was a chance since so many people were leaving the venue, yet still no entries allowed.
I know we aren't owed anything, I'm just saying it would have been a nice gesture on their part to "release" the line if they had no intention of letting anyone in.
On to San Diego....

wow, yes, that's a drag... are you saying people were actually leaving the show before it was over?

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:23

donnabalancia

Well, I find a link there, reading VIDEO, but it doesn'nt work, I mean no video shows up! Is that a joke?

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:25

BluzDude
Club gig = people with connections & other people who aren't true fans.
So if you're a huge Stones fan and you happen to have connections, you're not allowed to see them in concert?

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:27

Great write up by Lefsetz who I have had differing opinions of over the tours since he went online...but that was a good fans perspective.
How many would turn down the $4k ?

I would as money can always be made by those who make it but memories can't be and from the sounds of it that show was one to remember... maybe bv was right when last night he said "best ever".

For me who lived through those times and remember a time when many emulated their rock icons like gods and tried to follow them in too many ways and we were younger, less critical and those who remember the shows with an open mind know they were so up and down depending on the night/show/venue, etc. the albums open up memories clearer than ever.

I can't wait for the sticky fingers rerelease of the super deluxe download. Then of course while getting that Eagle Rock hits us with a great DVD shortly after.

Posted by: KeithFnRichards ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:28

Isn't it a little foolish to think this was anything but an industry show? Especially with all the initial rumors saying it was invitation only.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:30

bv

Moonlight Mile. Again I got emotional. Half a year after I got Sticky Fingers I met my wife, still my wife now, she gave me the freedom to follow the Stones during all these 44 years, still counting, and I felt she was right here in this room.

That's really great to read! That's TRUE LOVE.

And all of us can be gratefull for that love, so we can follow the Stones by your reviews and being able to be in that room too.

Thank you BV, and thank you misses BV.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 19:32 by saintmick.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:31

SoCalStone

They did say that, several times - and we didn't believe them! We stayed on in hope, even though we knew there wasn't much chance. The security staff were not the guys who were going to make a final decision about whether there was additional space, and so we waited, just in case a miracle happened, because we had been told that miracles had happened at previous shows. Alas, it didn't this time.

'The guy in the hat' got in through an industry connection - and good for him, he had been working the channels for a very long time.

syrel

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home