Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:22

Which songs?

Before the naysayers jump in I think we've all been there before, for a true fan the latest show is always the best show ever, impossible to be "objective" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 10:30 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:24

oldstones
BV,

Really Great Show...especially keef singing backup on 3 songs... whens the last time anyone has seen that?

I did notice that actually. You hear his voice quite clearly as the backup, and you turn your eyes slightly to the right, away from Mick, and sure Keith is there for more verses. I love it! I really do! Keep it coming Keith, I love your backup singing. Salt Of The Earth!

Bjornulf

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:28

Thanks Oldstones and BV! Very cool setlist and for sure a very special event! Was it filmed? Did you see any cameras? I really would like to see/hear this gig!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:29

bv
oldstones
BV,

Really Great Show...especially keef singing backup on 3 songs... whens the last time anyone has seen that?

I did notice that actually. You hear his voice quite clearly as the backup, and you turn your eyes slightly to the right, away from Mick, and sure Keith is there for more verses. I love it! I really do! Keep it coming Keith, I love your backup singing. Salt Of The Earth!

"Any Way You Look At It"!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 20:55 by Irix.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:40

Albert!

Valami?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:40

Glam Descendant
swiss
Leonioid
Lets hope this show is released.

Is it monetizable? Yes. Then it will be released. Pretty straightforward tongue sticking out smiley

They have never released any pre-tour club shows on dvd afaik.

There was the LIGHT THE FUSE download but that's all I can recall.

They also have never done a pre-tour club show with the sole purpose being to create product. I called this, down to the Barbie & Ken telegenic audience (per "Shine a Light" ) as soon as I heard it was invite-only. With that said--how fricking cool they did all of Sticky Fingers---that is amazing! I'm glad I didn't try to hoof it down to LA, but super-super glad for everyone who made it in!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 10:42 by swiss.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:46

JumpinJeppeFlash
Justin
wellalright
a VIP corporate gig. would you expect anything less at this point? all of it so misleading--the faux twitter thing, the non-periscope event, the weird ticket "sale" - whoever works with the Stones on this crap is just so out of touch.and sadly, almost no buzz about this event today--no online trending, nothing. Old men playing by old rules, sorry. I'm sure the show was solid; they are still professional. But they're so out of touch.

There were many many fans including myself who were completely locked out. Announcing a club show on Twitter and making everyone log on to snag a little more than 100 tickets was an illusion to make it appear like it was open to the public. Truth was that by the time they announced the show this afternoon, 95% of the tickets were already claimed for by industry-types, people in the know and insiders who are connected to the band and/or related record company.

Club/theater shows are (were?) the only place where fans could have the band for themselves and weed out the industry type. Really a shame that a classic album was in essence wasted on this type of crowd. From the outside you could clearly see many many people leave after 15, 20 minutes after the show started. They would still not let people in. Fans who waited all day at both the El Rey and the Fonda were shocked that they were locked out.

If this is how the band wants to handle club shows from now on---I'd rather they not come back to LA.

such a shame to treat real fans like this, but no one can hardly be surprised.

You people are awful. The Stones owe you nothing, they can do whatever they like. They can hold a private party for their freinds and associates as a warm up whenever they like it. Be glad they invited some 100 fans to join in.

Mathijs

Date: May 21, 2015 10:47

Keith always sings back up on Wild Horses and Dead Flowers when they are played. Did he also sing on I Got The Blues this time? You Gotta Move?

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:48

Mathijs
JumpinJeppeFlash
Justin
wellalright
a VIP corporate gig. would you expect anything less at this point? all of it so misleading--the faux twitter thing, the non-periscope event, the weird ticket "sale" - whoever works with the Stones on this crap is just so out of touch.and sadly, almost no buzz about this event today--no online trending, nothing. Old men playing by old rules, sorry. I'm sure the show was solid; they are still professional. But they're so out of touch.

There were many many fans including myself who were completely locked out. Announcing a club show on Twitter and making everyone log on to snag a little more than 100 tickets was an illusion to make it appear like it was open to the public. Truth was that by the time they announced the show this afternoon, 95% of the tickets were already claimed for by industry-types, people in the know and insiders who are connected to the band and/or related record company.

Club/theater shows are (were?) the only place where fans could have the band for themselves and weed out the industry type. Really a shame that a classic album was in essence wasted on this type of crowd. From the outside you could clearly see many many people leave after 15, 20 minutes after the show started. They would still not let people in. Fans who waited all day at both the El Rey and the Fonda were shocked that they were locked out.

If this is how the band wants to handle club shows from now on---I'd rather they not come back to LA.

such a shame to treat real fans like this, but no one can hardly be surprised.

You people are awful. The Stones owe you nothing, they can do whatever they like. They can hold a private party for their freinds and associates as a warm up whenever they like it. Be glad they invited some 100 fans to join in.

Mathijs

Wow, have you woken up on the wrong side of bed today?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:49

Fair play to The Stones, that's a great setlist. I would pay money to see a show like that! I can't believe that some silly bitches are moaning about it not trending on twitter! Who gives a f***? This is The Rolling Stones, not Miley Cyrus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 10:50 by strat72.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:52

bv
BEST SHOW EVER

I have been on my feet today since 7am in the morning, and I am resting my tired feet and drinking Budweiser now. Trying to write up a short report before I fall to sleep. The short version is this:

BEST SHOW EVER

I agree I truly cant think of any show ever being better.

I introduced my new found friend to a nice, young LA lady. He is in the back of the limo introducing himself to her as we speak. I am sitting up front with my cool driver chopping out a couple.

If you want to hear details of my trip, I will talk a little about them when I go back to my hotel. But I am perfectly happy to just talk about the music. Tell me what you want to know. Remember this is from my perspective. This is how I enjoy the sex drugs and rock and roll of Stones shows all over the world. The music and performance is what really counts. Believe that.Every thing else is just a buzz.

Posted by: Shine A Light ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:54

Must concur. Never saw such passion and delivery.stood all day after 4 hr flight.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:55

onlystones
bv
BEST SHOW EVER

I have been on my feet today since 7am in the morning, and I am resting my tired feet and drinking Budweiser now. Trying to write up a short report before I fall to sleep. The short version is this:

BEST SHOW EVER

I introduced my new found friend to a nice, young LA lady. He is in the back of the limo introducing himself to her as we speak. I am sitting up front with my cool driver chopping out a couple.

If you want to hear details of my trip, I will talk a little about them when I go back to my hotel. But I am perfectly happy to just talk about the music. Tell me what you want to know. Remember this is from my perspective. This is how I enjoy the sex drugs and rock and roll of Stones shows all over the world. The music and performance is what really counts. Believe that.Every thing else is just a buzz.

Enjoy your night, but stick to telling us about the gig please. That's what we want to hear about. Good on you for getting in, sounds like it was a great one

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:56

onlystones
bv
BEST SHOW EVER

BEST SHOW EVER

Are you one of those 13 old boys with a big imagination, internet and no friends?

Date: May 21, 2015 10:58

NEWMAN
onlystones
bv
BEST SHOW EVER

BEST SHOW EVER

Are you one of those 13 old boys with a big imagination, internet and no friends?

thumbs up

Date: May 21, 2015 11:00

A short report from 'abc7':

[Twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 11:10 by Irix.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:06

syrel
Leonioid

Now.... I wonder if any of the cats that were hanging around out front and asking here about it got in for any part of the show... I was hoping for them the whole time. I wonder if they did?

I was pretty much at the front of the 'just in case' line up at Fonda until 9.15 - no one got in (as far as I know), except for one or two that were able to benefit from favours/connections.

syrel

I stayed until the end of the show. The crowd continued to thin out and I was the very last one to walk away. As far as I could tell, not one person got in who was hoping for a miracle ticket. I couldn't even find a scalper. It was a long, sad drive back to San Diego.

Date: May 21, 2015 11:10

[Twitter.com]

[Twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 11:15 by Irix.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:18

likecats
syrel
Leonioid

Now.... I wonder if any of the cats that were hanging around out front and asking here about it got in for any part of the show... I was hoping for them the whole time. I wonder if they did?

I was pretty much at the front of the 'just in case' line up at Fonda until 9.15 - no one got in (as far as I know), except for one or two that were able to benefit from favours/connections.

syrel

I stayed until the end of the show. The crowd continued to thin out and I was the very last one to walk away. As far as I could tell, not one person got in who was hoping for a miracle ticket. I couldn't even find a scalper. It was a long, sad drive back to San Diego.

Ah don't fret! Mathijs says we should just be thankful that 100 fans got in!

Don't worry---it was a sad ride home for me as well (and for the many new friends I made in the lines today).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:19

The Stones owe you nothing, they can do whatever they like. They can hold a private party for their freinds and associates as a warm up whenever they like it. Be glad they invited some 100 fans to join in.

In a way I do agree with Mathijs statement.

The Stones are starting the Tour on Sunday,which is open to everyone who wants to buy a ticket.
If they treat the Fonda show as a business venture and also give a few hundred fans a chance of getting free tix (sounds like they were getting refunds when collecting tix),that is up to them.
I would feel very sorry if I tried very hard to get a ticket,but no grounds to complain.
Grin and bear it I guess. Worse things happen in life.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:26

Just read through this thread with my morning coffee (it's 9am-ish in London). I'm delighted to hear they played such a wonderful set, and I'm really happy for whoever did get in. But, as others have said, the way it was handled is a real shame and does the Stones no credit whatsoever.

Date: May 21, 2015 11:34

You simply can't write about this show without getting emotional. Well at least that goes for me. "Sticky Fingers" was my first Stones album...

People ask me this: What is the best ever show you have seen with the Stones? I mean I have seen them many times, but still, my answer is always the same: You can't compare shows. Like I can't compare my children. They are all unique. Sure there has been some outstanding shows. My best memories are from Roseland, Brixton, Wichita, and a number of great shows in Hartford, MSG and Buenos Aires. But still... As of today, it is all clear. My best Rolling Stones show ever so far was at the Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles California May 20, 2015.

They started off with "Start Me Up", like a regular show. Except Keith came walking on stage, Pierre strapped his guitar, the rest of the band arrived, and we got "Start Me Up". I was in the front, with friends to my left, and with half a dozen great looking girls in their 20's on my right. As some of them left before show start, I was up there in the front from the start. I was never more than 5-10 meters i.e. 15-30 feet away from Ronnie, Keith and Mick tonight, during the show. Charlie was close too, as the rest of the band. I use glasses at shows these days, but not tonight. I could not get any closer.

They did "Whip" and "All Down The Line". Both great songs. We were some 700 people in the crowd including the 100 or so in the celebrity balcony, but I hardly turned my back to the crowd. My only worry was the fact that this should have been available to more fans but then it would not work the way it worked tonight.

Then it is time for STICKY FINGERS. The whole album. Live. This was my first Stones album. The reason why I am here, why I am following the Stones, why IORR does exist. I got "Sticky Fingers" it in August 1971, and from that day I was hooked, Sticky Fingers and The Rolling Stones defined a large part of my life as from that date. SWAY was so great. And it was so great they started with my favorite song of the album! Dead Flowsers was another favorite. I just loved it.

The emotions came on "Wild Horses". I don't know why, I have got "Wild Horses" so many times live, but the way they did it, the small room, and the memories from my days back in 1971, as a kid age 16 playing "Sticky Fingers" to the pieces, at my parents home, my first home, I got tears in my eyes, it was such a great version of "Wild Horses". The camera man was always on our faces, I just hope he did not catch me in those moments. But I loved every bit of it.

I am not going to do a song by song here, because I am too tired, and I don't remember all the details. But I do remember Keith's white teeth! When his band members were shining, Keith was all smiles, and that is the best part of the show, when you enjoy it so much, and you see Keith do the same.

Matt Clifford was there next to Chuck Leavelle on many songs. It gave them a wider sound and it worked well. Karl Denson made the most outstanding solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", I was frozen watching and listening to his unique rendering of the Bobby Keys spot on this song. Mick did mention it almost had a jazz touch. Sure it dit, and it raised the show to another level.

Chuck Leavelle did a great solo on "I Got The Blues". At this point of the show, I was still in my teenager room with my record player, listening to Sticky Fingers, and it just happened that the band who made this album was right in front of me, on stage, performing the very same album live right now.

Moonlight Mile. Again I got emotional. Half a year after I got Sticky Fingers I met my wife, still my wife now, she gave me the freedom to follow the Stones during all these 44 years, still counting, and I felt she was right here in this room. The musical rendering of the song was absolutely amazing, I wish they could do it more often.

As they closed the Sticky Fingers session with "Brown Sugar", my time machine trip back to my teenager days of 1971 ended quickly. Yeah Year Yeah, hands up, my mind was back in the stadium show mode, thinking about the next show in San Diego...

The rest you may read about on Internet. "Can't Turn You Loose" must be kept on the tour, for every show. It is a crowd pleaser, and I hope they will do it 15 times more on this tour!

Are they hot? Yes! Are they on? Yes! Are you going to San Diego? No? Get sorted! Get down there, it will be a mamory for lifetime. See you in San Diego on the real tour start Sunday May 24!

Bjornulf

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:35

Even the german "Spiegel"-Magazin has this as a headline:

[www.spiegel.de]

Date: May 21, 2015 11:35

Stoneburst
Just read through this thread with my morning coffee (it's 9am-ish in London). I'm delighted to hear they played such a wonderful set, and I'm really happy for whoever did get in. But, as others have said, the way it was handled is a real shame and does the Stones no credit whatsoever.

If you ask Mathijs we are all awful people feeling the way you and i do. It´s a shame and very ignorant that according to eyewitnesses hardly none of the fans queuing all day got the chance to buy a ticket when models and others who couldn´t care less left the venue after 15-20 minutes. That is ignorant, but they don´t care about their real fans, that´s a fact. Not everyone have the right conections or can get invitations like a few of the extreme hardcore fans like BV, Matt Lee and a few others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 11:47 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:38

Photos by Kevin Mazur
[twitter.com]

set list Fonda Theatre
Posted by: benoitf ()
Date: May 21, 2015 10:58

Hi everyone

Just saw the set list on RS.com ...
FANTASTIC set list! Sticky Fingers played in totality ! plus more ...

I would be very pleased to read comments from the lucky guys who where in the place ...
How was the band ? The boys are in good shape ? How was Keith playing ?

Thank you for you impressions on this show .

Re: set list Fonda Theatre
Date: May 21, 2015 11:01

benoitf
Hi everyone

Just saw the set list on RS.com ...
FANTASTIC set list! Sticky Fingers played in totality ! plus more ...

I would be very pleased to read comments from the lucky guys who where in the place ...
How was the band ? The boys are in good shape ? How was Keith playing ?

Thank you for you impressions on this show .

Read in the proper thread. Bjørnulf and onlystones have made some sparse comments. Let them rest a bit. They'll be back with reviews, hopefully smiling smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 21, 2015 11:01

Was Moonlight Mile better than in 1999?

Date: May 21, 2015 11:43

TheBlockbuster
Was Moonlight Mile better than in 1999?

Yes. By far!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home