Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 62 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 24, 2015 03:17

RipThisBone
bv
donvis
If there were a bunch of models and pretty girls down in front then they probay will release a DVD of the show. Are there any other shows Besides the Beacon that had models down front

I have never seen that many cameras in a club show before. Sure this was for a visual production.

In 1995 at The Paradiso Club Amsterdam there were a lot of models front of stage, but after an hour into the show they were all gone and looking for a sandwich (I hope) or gently removed by real fans like me asking: "Why are you standing here".

Both Paradiso shows were filmed professionaly with multiple (many) camaras for a visual production, but never released.

Just sayin'.......smileys with beer

Parts of the shows were released in the wake of Stripped. DVDs with whole shows weren't a thing back then. From what I have gathered, the main purpose of the filming was a live broadcast to a big video screen somewhere outside.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 24, 2015 03:53

Parts of those shows were on the VH1 Stripped special though.

Posted by: kdsalter ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:10

winter
Now that the Fonda attendees here have started to be able to reflect on the show a bit, I was wondering if any of you could weigh in on instrumentation for the gig.

1. You Gotta Move: KR on 12-string acoustic for YGM. Did Ronnie also play slide (electric) on this?

2. I Got the Blues: Was it CL or MC who took the organ solo on IGTB? If MC, did he also break it out for JJF?

3. Moonlight Mile: with MJ on guitar, did KR or Ronnie play acoustics? Did MC add string synth parts on this or Sway to approach the studio instrumentation?

4. Sister Morphine: Was everybody on electric for this? I have vague memories of MJ playing acoustic on this for the NS tour.

Thanks for any recollections you may have, and have a great time in SD tomorrow night!!

I wish I had photographic memory...or even better, some photographs. But for (4) I am pretty darn sure that Mick was playing the Gibson acoustic. Great questions, but it there is so much going on in the show and you're experiencing all these emotions and totally into the music, it was just not possible, for me anyway, to catalogue such details. I said in my review that KR played Micawber (his butterscotch tele) during JJF. But I really am not certain. Afterall he has been playing a Les Paul Special for that song.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:11

Nikkei
RipThisBone
bv
donvis
If there were a bunch of models and pretty girls down in front then they probay will release a DVD of the show. Are there any other shows Besides the Beacon that had models down front

I have never seen that many cameras in a club show before. Sure this was for a visual production.

In 1995 at The Paradiso Club Amsterdam there were a lot of models front of stage, but after an hour into the show they were all gone and looking for a sandwich (I hope) or gently removed by real fans like me asking: "Why are you standing here".

Both Paradiso shows were filmed professionaly with multiple (many) camaras for a visual production, but never released.

Just sayin'.......smileys with beer

Parts of the shows were released in the wake of Stripped. DVDs with whole shows weren't a thing back then. From what I have gathered, the main purpose of the filming was a live broadcast to a big video screen somewhere outside.

Maybe you are right, but...I think not. I was there in 1995 in Amsterdam.
The live broadcast of the second show at the Paradiso on a big video screen on "The Museumplein" was a gift to the fans who could not get in.
I was there together with some 30.000 people watching the fantastic second show and telling everybody I was INSIDE at The first show at the Paradiso the night before and that first show (may 26, 1995) was filmed likewise.drinking smiley

I

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:18

Ah, so only the second show was also on the screen? I thought they did it twice.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:25

Nikkei
Ah, so only the second show was also on the screen? I thought they did it twice.

thumbs down spinning smiley sticking its tongue out thumbs down

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:40

1969Fan
After reading all the stories and experiences I wish I could have been there. When the tickets went on sale I was plugged into a chemotherapy pump. Oh well. I figure it's better to be around to enjoy another show somewhere down the road than it would have been to drop everything to make this one.

Stay strong and get through this

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 24, 2015 06:46

Zach! And don't forget to thank him in your prayers. great story and thanks!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 24, 2015 06:47

Reagan, I'm sending you much love and positive wishes.

Seven years ago I was where you're at, told it was incurable etc, had the ghastly radiation etc. I spent most of my real life thoughts figuring out
how I could afford to fly to Paris to see the Stones at the Stade de France.

I began to felt so much better as I dragged myself onto Air France. And was given a great seat at the Stade surrounded by screaming Europeans. For a few
hours I was in bliss.

In case you're wondering, yes the band did do "Sympathy For the Devil."

The obviously rich man behind me turned up his nose at the intro and said, "I've been all over Europe seeing the Stones. I'm So tired of that song."

"Actually, " I said, "This was a really great version here tonight."
Several others around me nodded in agreement. Mr.Rich thought about it
and said, "You know...you guys are right."

Reagan, Keep us posted. Get rested, cured and ready for your next Stones
show!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 06:51

kdsalter
winter
Now that the Fonda attendees here have started to be able to reflect on the show a bit, I was wondering if any of you could weigh in on instrumentation for the gig.

1. You Gotta Move: KR on 12-string acoustic for YGM. Did Ronnie also play slide (electric) on this?

2. I Got the Blues: Was it CL or MC who took the organ solo on IGTB? If MC, did he also break it out for JJF?

3. Moonlight Mile: with MJ on guitar, did KR or Ronnie play acoustics? Did MC add string synth parts on this or Sway to approach the studio instrumentation?

4. Sister Morphine: Was everybody on electric for this? I have vague memories of MJ playing acoustic on this for the NS tour.

Thanks for any recollections you may have, and have a great time in SD tomorrow night!!

I wish I had photographic memory...or even better, some photographs. But for (4) I am pretty darn sure that Mick was playing the Gibson acoustic. Great questions, but it there is so much going on in the show and you're experiencing all these emotions and totally into the music, it was just not possible, for me anyway, to catalogue such details. I said in my review that KR played Micawber (his butterscotch tele) during JJF. But I really am not certain. Afterall he has been playing a Les Paul Special for that song.

Hey Kdsalter,

Are you the guy that went into the room to do the video before me? The guy that was in the line to get in, wearing the Steel Wheels jacket?

Posted by: kdsalter ()
Date: May 24, 2015 10:24

Nope. I am the guy in the RS video at 0:10 saying "Its the hottest ticket in the country if not the world." Rolling Stones at Fonda
This interview was on the street at around 6 pm. But our fan interview, inside the Fonda with Sarah, was at about 4:45. I was not wearing a Steel Wheels t-shirt.
roller99
kdsalter
winter

Hey Kdsalter,

Are you the guy that went into the room to do the video before me? The guy that was in the line to get in, wearing the Steel Wheels jacket?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2015 12:16

winter

these are interesting questions i wish some iorrers present there could answer

i think i've read in some previous post here that CL soloed on IGTB, on forbes review writer mentions KR slide on YGM

anyway all answeres will be given when the video will be released i guess

Date: May 24, 2015 15:57

It would surprise me a lot if Chuck didn't play the B3-solo on IGTB. Mick always play acoustic on SM. All guitarists played electric on MM (the video). I'm pretty sure Ronnie had the Taylor role on YGM, playing electric.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 17:26

maumau
winter

i think i've read in some previous post here that CL soloed on IGTB, on forbes review writer mentions KR slide on YGM

1. It was almost A Capella, no Ronnie slide.

2. Chuck on the B3

3. No synth parts on MM, it was missing something. Can remember if there was an acoustic guitar also.

4. Sister Morphine was electric, MJ played a Resonator guitar for a bit.

Date: May 24, 2015 21:16

Regarding CYHMK at the Fonda (From the interview with Denson):

"A highlight came when Denson performed a bravura solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," then went toe-to-toe with guitarist Ron Wood for a series of charged sax-and-guitar exchanges that earned a sustained ovation from the audience".

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 24, 2015 21:36

roller99
maumau
winter

2. Chuck on the B3

3. No synth parts on MM, it was missing something. Can remember if there was an acoustic guitar also.

Roller99 and everyone else who chimed in upthread, thank you very much for your recollections! It seems if they're going to bring Clifford along for the tour, he could do a lot of auxiliary keyboards (strings/organ) on these to fill out the sound and make for a more dynamic listening experience for stadiums. It's also interesting that Keith lugged along a 12-string acoustic for You Gotta Move, perhaps in open tuning. Thanks again for weighing in with your memories from such an exciting night.

Date: May 24, 2015 21:46

Clifford has been playing with them since the O2 in 2012 on this tour. He had a prominent role on Can't Be Seen on the Euro tour. He plays the phlugelhorn on YCAGWYW and he introduces the band. Possibly more keyboards as well.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2015 22:05

roller99
maumau
winter

2. Chuck on the B3

thanks a lot roller99

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 22:13

maumau
roller99
maumau
winter

2. Chuck on the B3

thanks a lot roller99

wow awesome info roller99 it's disappointing more haven't shared. so was You got to Move mostly just Mick and Keith or did the band kick in halfway into the song?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 24, 2015 22:45

DandelionPowderman
Clifford has been playing with them since the O2 in 2012 on this tour. He had a prominent role on Can't Be Seen on the Euro tour. He plays the phlugelhorn on YCAGWYW and he introduces the band. Possibly more keyboards as well.

Matt also sets up the local choirs for YCAGWYW.

Date: May 24, 2015 23:22

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman

Yep, which they still are using on this tour.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 24, 2015 23:24

Please, please let them do You Gotta Move somewhere where ordinary mortals can hear it! (and the rest too, but especially that one).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2015 01:04

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman

In fact that's all he did at first and we only found out because the "duckface" girl from the choir explained that MC, the "musical director" of the Stones, had rehearsed them and given them some tips like "nothing can prepare you to sing to 20000 people". Interestingly an article claims that the idea for the choir came from their director of business afairs. MC only started appearing on stage in 2013 in the US, then he introduced them, then he was in Bondy in 2014. A gradual process it seems, well deserved given how much he's helped Mick over the past 25 years.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 05:34

stonesrule
Reagan, I'm sending you much love and positive wishes.

Seven years ago I was where you're at, told it was incurable etc, had the ghastly radiation etc. I spent most of my real life thoughts figuring out
how I could afford to fly to Paris to see the Stones at the Stade de France.

I began to felt so much better as I dragged myself onto Air France. And was given a great seat at the Stade surrounded by screaming Europeans. For a few
hours I was in bliss.

In case you're wondering, yes the band did do "Sympathy For the Devil."

The obviously rich man behind me turned up his nose at the intro and said, "I've been all over Europe seeing the Stones. I'm So tired of that song."

"Actually, " I said, "This was a really great version here tonight."
Several others around me nodded in agreement. Mr.Rich thought about it
and said, "You know...you guys are right."

Reagan, Keep us posted. Get rested, cured and ready for your next Stones
show!

I appreciate your kind words and positive thoughts. And yes, I plan on being around for the next tour. Thanks!

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 05:39

Reagan
1969Fan
After reading all the stories and experiences I wish I could have been there. When the tickets went on sale I was plugged into a chemotherapy pump. Oh well. I figure it's better to be around to enjoy another show somewhere down the road than it would have been to drop everything to make this one.

Stay strong and get through this

Thank you. Any day I wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day. And I seem to continue doing that. My immediate goal is June 9 when the SF re-release with the alternate takes is due in my mail box. For once, a reissue may be better than the original.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:01

Here's one from the outside of the Fonda Theatre. It took a while until this was corrected:

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:37

Clifford played with them starting in 1989.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:02

After a week or so from the now legendary Fonda concert, I think that now I can share some of my experiences with you about what was the most amazing night of my life as a Stones fan.

First of all, like I posted here on another thread, if it wasn't for some hints by BV, Cocaine Eyes, Dreamer and Roller99, I would never have been able to think about going to LA, which I did after the rumours on this gig started to get more serious, and I'm thankful for them posting the infos they had.

I'm not a wealthy person, so I booked a cheap flight from Brazil and rented a cheap hostel in a tough neighborhood in LA (I didn't knew it at that time, but some friends like BluzDude and others from LA told me to take care because I was in a dangerous place), where I arrived Friday at midnight and slept at LAX, since I was not familiar with the bus lines and didn't wanted to spent maybe $100 or more on a taxi fare.

Next morning I was walking and taking buses and metros in LA, trying to find the way to the Fonda Theater (it was my very first time in USA ) and starting to know LA a little better. I've spent a lot of time in Hollywood Boulevard and I was managing a way to get informations about how could I get one ticket. I've been to the rehersals' studio, but it seems there was nothing going on that day. I was one of the fans that were right in front of the Fonda on Tuesday (a day before the concert) when some LA authorities told us to leave. I left but didn't leave that neighborhood - I went to a coffee shop on Hollywood Blvd, where I was contacting some friends from SA telling them my adventures and trying to get any infos from them. Some hours later, I returned to the theater, where there were 6 or 7 people there, and by 9pm I went to the bar right next to the Fonda to drink a beer and try to see what was going on (there was a rumour that the Stones could maybe do a soundcheck that day) without being spoiled by the theatre people or the LA authorities.

On the bar, I noticed there was a side door that was an internal access to the theatre. I asked a girl who works there about it, and she told me that the door was always kept closed, with little exceptions. I asked if I could return on the next day if I couldn't get a ticket and stand right next to it to at least try to listen to the concert. "As long you drink a beer here, no problem". I was about to do that, but in the end there was no need to do it.

After 2 or 3 hours there, I saw Pierre de Beauport leaving the Fonda by the main door, and then I thought that there was nothing more to see, so I left the bar and returned to my hostel, where I came around midnight or so.

On the next morning, the Stones' app sent the message that the tickets would be sold online, so I thought I didn't had to leave the hostel (although I was on my way to find a friend who was going with me to the Fonda, but in the end I couldn't find him and then returned to the hostel) and started to try to get one ticket but I was unlucky, since I only had my cell phone. After some hours, a very good friend of mine, for whom I'm hugely thankful, told me he could get me a ticket for free, and after I picked it up I went to the Fonda and spent the most amazing night of my life.

A lot of people have already posted their impressions about how was the concert, so I think that any of my reports will be a mere repetition of what's already been written, and maybe even better than I could write. There was some little details, though, that caught my attention that night. First of all, the chance to see the Stones on a very close position, where you can see things you don't see on a stadium show. For instance, details on Ronnie and Keith's guitars, Mick's hands, the red socks Charlie was wearing that night and the noise of the guitar picks on the strings and things like that. I know these are things that have nothing to do with the music, but they matter to me, somehow.

About the music, I've read a lot of people talking about You Got to Move being a great song that night, and I agreed with most of them. Keith's playing on this song was absolutely wonderful. I've never heard a guitar sound like the way it sounded that night on this song. But to me, what impressed me more than that were the band's movements on the stage when I Got the Blues was being played, very slowly. The first thing that came on my mind was that famous Love in Vain video from Gimme Shelter, when we see the band in slow motion, but this time they are moving that way right in front of us! Plus, Chuck's solo on this song was amazing, very close to the original one.

The "duel" between Ronnie and Karl Denson (it was the first time I got the chance to see him play live with the Stones, because I couldn't be in Australia last year) on Can't You Hear me Knocking was also nice to see, as well Bernard playing the bongos on this song.

After Brown Sugar, the Stones left and the crew went on and put an extension to the stage, which meant the band would be closer than they were to us. Some minutes later the encore came with Rock me Baby (a very nice and touching tribute to the great late B.B.King), then Jumpin' Jack Flash - one of my favorite songs of all-time, and finally the Fonda becomes a dancing hall with I Can't Turn You Loose, in my opinion one of the best covers the Stones have ever done live, not only on this concert.

My feelings when the concert was over were "I still can't believe on what I've just seen", and by looking at each others faces, this was the common feeling amongst everybody who was there. I've met some IORRians (BV, Matt Lee and latvianinexile, which spent almost the entire concert by my side - such a nice guy), and then I left and returned to the bar, where then was time to talk with my new friends about what we all had experienced.

After all these years being a Stones fan, going to their concerts everywhere I could (not as many as a lot of folks here, but I'm satisfied), time will pass and I will surely say to anyone that it was the most amazing night I've ever had. I've met a lot of nice people and I've been to one of the most exciting concerts this band ever gave us. What else could I want?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:27

Cristiano Radtke
After a week or so from the now legendary Fonda concert, I think that now I can share some of my experiences with you about what was the most amazing night of my life as a Stones fan.

First of all, like I posted here on another thread, if it wasn't for some hints by BV, Cocaine Eyes, Dreamer and Roller99, I would never have been able to think about going to LA, which I did after the rumours on this gig started to get more serious, and I'm thankful for them posting the infos they had.

I'm not a wealthy person, so I booked a cheap flight from Brazil and rented a cheap hostel in a tough neighborhood in LA (I didn't knew it at that time, but some friends like BluzDude and others from LA told me to take care because I was in a dangerous place), where I arrived Friday at midnight and slept at LAX, since I was not familiar with the bus lines and didn't wanted to spent maybe $100 or more on a taxi fare.

Next morning I was walking and taking buses and metros in LA, trying to find the way to the Fonda Theater (it was my very first time in USA ) and starting to know LA a little better. I've spent a lot of time in Hollywood Boulevard and I was managing a way to get informations about how could I get one ticket. I've been to the rehersals' studio, but it seems there was nothing going on that day. I was one of the fans that were right in front of the Fonda on Tuesday (a day before the concert) when some LA authorities told us to leave. I left but didn't leave that neighborhood - I went to a coffee shop on Hollywood Blvd, where I was contacting some friends from SA telling them my adventures and trying to get any infos from them. Some hours later, I returned to the theater, where there were 6 or 7 people there, and by 9pm I went to the bar right next to the Fonda to drink a beer and try to see what was going on (there was a rumour that the Stones could maybe do a soundcheck that day) without being spoiled by the theatre people or the LA authorities.

On the bar, I noticed there was a side door that was an internal access to the theatre. I asked a girl who works there about it, and she told me that the door was always kept closed, with little exceptions. I asked if I could return on the next day if I couldn't get a ticket and stand right next to it to at least try to listen to the concert. "As long you drink a beer here, no problem". I was about to do that, but in the end there was no need to do it.

After 2 or 3 hours there, I saw Pierre de Beauport leaving the Fonda by the main door, and then I thought that there was nothing more to see, so I left the bar and returned to my hostel, where I came around midnight or so.

On the next morning, the Stones' app sent the message that the tickets would be sold online, so I thought I didn't had to leave the hostel (although I was on my way to find a friend who was going with me to the Fonda, but in the end I couldn't find him and then returned to the hostel) and started to try to get one ticket but I was unlucky, since I only had my cell phone. After some hours, a very good friend of mine, for whom I'm hugely thankful, told me he could get me a ticket for free, and after I picked it up I went to the Fonda and spent the most amazing night of my life.

A lot of people have already posted their impressions about how was the concert, so I think that any of my reports will be a mere repetition of what's already been written, and maybe even better than I could write. There was some little details, though, that caught my attention that night. First of all, the chance to see the Stones on a very close position, where you can see things you don't see on a stadium show. For instance, details on Ronnie and Keith's guitars, Mick's hands, the red socks Charlie was wearing that night and the noise of the guitar picks on the strings and things like that. I know these are things that have nothing to do with the music, but they matter to me, somehow.

About the music, I've read a lot of people talking about You Got to Move being a great song that night, and I agreed with most of them. Keith's playing on this song was absolutely wonderful. I've never heard a guitar sound like the way it sounded that night on this song. But to me, what impressed me more than that were the band's movements on the stage when I Got the Blues was being played, very slowly. The first thing that came on my mind was that famous Love in Vain video from Gimme Shelter, when we see the band in slow motion, but this time they are moving that way right in front of us! Plus, Chuck's solo on this song was amazing, very close to the original one.

The "duel" between Ronnie and Karl Denson (it was the first time I got the chance to see him play live with the Stones, because I couldn't be in Australia last year) on Can't You Hear me Knocking was also nice to see, as well Bernard playing the bongos on this song.

After Brown Sugar, the Stones left and the crew went on and put an extension to the stage, which meant the band would be closer than they were to us. Some minutes later the encore came with Rock me Baby (a very nice and touching tribute to the great late B.B.King), then Jumpin' Jack Flash - one of my favorite songs of all-time, and finally the Fonda becomes a dancing hall with I Can't Turn You Loose, in my opinion one of the best covers the Stones have ever done live, not only on this concert.

My feelings when the concert was over were "I still can't believe on what I've just seen", and by looking at each others faces, this was the common feeling amongst everybody who was there. I've met some IORRians (BV, Matt Lee and latvianinexile, which spent almost the entire concert by my side - such a nice guy), and then I left and returned to the bar, where then was time to talk with my new friends about what we all had experienced.

After all these years being a Stones fan, going to their concerts everywhere I could (not as many as a lot of folks here, but I'm satisfied), time will pass and I will surely say to anyone that it was the most amazing night I've ever had. I've met a lot of nice people and I've been to one of the most exciting concerts this band ever gave us. What else could I want?

Great post Cristiano!
Journo Of The Year smileys with beer

Edit:

Again an honest story with a well deserved happy ending:

...started to try to get one ticket but I was unlucky, since I only had my cell phone. After some hours, a very good friend of mine, for whom I'm hugely thankful, told me he could get me a ticket for free, and after I picked it up I went to the Fonda and spent the most amazing night of my life.

Again:
Great story Cristiano!
thumbs up smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 02:46 by Dreamer.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:44

Dreamer

Great post Cristiano!
Journo Of The Year smileys with beer

Thank you, Dreamer! There's a lot of things that I could say about the concert, but I wanted to share my experience in USA on the days before the gig and after that. Sometimes I read everywhere (to be clear, I'm not pointing this to anyone here) there's people whining about the Stones not going to play on their cities and so on - I always read that when, for instance, a rumour about the band coming to Brazil starts to flow here: "why are they playing in Rio and not on my own town? It's far and I wanted to see them here", to say the least.

When they announced this tour, that came in the possibly worst time for me, financially speaking, because I wanted to see them at least one more time, since we can't never know when will be the next time, and I didn't knew if I could afford a trip to USA. When the Fonda rumours started to be more real, I've decided that this was the concert I wanted to see, no matter what. I've made some savings, started to spend less than what I was spending on a lot of things, packed my bag and flew to LA, and I regret nothing. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 02:58 by Cristiano Radtke.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 62 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home