Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 60 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 04:25

Well, I'm not a celeb. I got plastic. The paper one is from being in the documentary earlier in the day.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 23, 2015 04:25

71Tele
please enjoy Matt Clifford!

Since he does different keyboards (remember the mellotron/synth parts on 2000LYFH in 1989) I thought that he would maybe do the B3 organ solo on IGTB and maybe add string synth parts for Moonlight Mile and Sway.

I've read some attendees saying there was a keyboard solo for IGTB but haven't heard whether Clifford played on anything else.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 23, 2015 04:30

roller99
Well, I'm not a celeb. I got plastic. The paper one is from being in the documentary earlier in the day.
Ah, I only saw the paper one in your picture from yesterday...
Thanks for the clarification

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2015 05:52

Thanks everyone for the reports. Maybe N Y will get it's SF night at the tail of the tour. Mind blowing set list, of course on paper we all play like MT. I'd like to hear Ronnie's current take on SM. Could be outstanding. MJ seems to apologize for drug songs, jeeze what's the world come to. All their songs are about drugs unless they're singing about abusing woman. What a band.

Date: May 23, 2015 06:00

DoomandGloom
Thanks everyone for the reports. Maybe N Y will get it's SF night at the tail of the tour. Mind blowing set list, of course on paper we all play like MT. I'd like to hear Ronnie's current take on SM. Could be outstanding. MJ seems to apologize for drug songs, jeeze what's the world come to. All their songs are about drugs unless they're singing about abusing woman. What a band.

MJ is just joking, that's the British in him. All songs are about drugs or abusing women? You must be missing a few albums in your collection.. winking smiley

Date: May 23, 2015 06:04

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2015 06:06

roller99
DoomandGloom

MJ is just joking, that's the British in him. All songs are about drugs or abusing women? You must be missing a few albums in your collection.. winking smiley
I was being clever, the American in me! Maybe not all the songs, just the good ones.

Posted by: triunfopark ()
Date: May 23, 2015 07:03

DoomandGloom

Funny stuff, DoomandGloom. This gave me a chuckle. thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 23, 2015 07:14

roller99

Nice shot roller...but they weren't kidding about lining the center of the front row with model types. I think it's a pretty silly requirement for a band of 70 year olds...now that Bill's gone anyway. winking smiley

Enjoyed reading about your journey from casual fan to something more.

peace

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:17

StonesHood
Micks Talking between songs - Thank You Stonesnews.com

Ladies and gentlemen, on the first night of their American tour, will you please welcome THE ROLLING STONES!
Hey hey hey! How you doing, alright? First song:
1.Start Me Up
Thank you! How you doin’ alright? Nice to see you! This one we do called
2.When The Whip Comes Down
3.All Down The Line
This is our first show, on Sunday we go to San Diego and play for the San Diegans
So tonight we’re doing something we've never done before... we used to make these things that go round & round with cardboard covers...
We're gonna do the whole of STICKY FINGERS! In the order of the 8 track tape... The 1st one we’re gonna do is
4.Sway
5.Dead Flowers
We’re gonna continue the slightly countryish feel, this one we recorded in Muscle Shoals, which I suppose is in the country...
6.Wild Horses
I should’ve warned you there are lots of 60s drug references in the songs. It was quite a groovy scene..I think it’s coming back around here. Here's one of them, it's called

7.Sister Morphine
Yes indeed, that’s a bit of a down song! And there's more to come it was a bit of a down period!
This one is by Mississippi Fred McDowell, with a 12string & Keith's gonna do the 12string tonight
8.You Gotta Move
This one's called
9.Bitch
10.Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Thank you! And thank you, Karl Denson! A bit of jazz, almost jazz there, a rarity!
We’re going to do this one nice and slow…
11.I Got The Blues
How’s it going so far, alright? Blimey, next year we’ll come back and do the whole of Satanic Majesties... This one is called
12.Moonlight Mile
Just one more from that album!
13.Brown Sugar
Thank you so much Los Angeles!
ENCORES
We’re gonna do a bit of a tribute to BB King who was a hero of ours. He was a lovely guy & who was so influential on us
14.Rock Me Baby
How you feelin out there? Are you feelin good? Everybody so oh yeah!
15.Jumpin' Jack Flash
Thank you very much! Wanna hear a bit more? We're gonna do this one fast!
16.Can't Turn You Loose
Thank you very much everybody! Take a bow!

funny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 11:38 by DREAMTIME.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:25

sounded great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 11:38 by DREAMTIME.

Posted by: kdsalter ()
Date: May 23, 2015 11:27

jagger played guitar for the first time Wed on Whip (I think it was a black strat, but not sure). The next time he played a Gibson acoustic on Wild horses. This was one of those guitars that looks like the acoustics used in the film Sympathy for the Devil.

Date: May 23, 2015 11:29

jagger played guitar for the first time Wed on Whip (I think it was a black strat, but not sure). The next time he played a Gibson acoustic on either Dead Flowers or Wild Horses This was one of those guitars that looks like the acoustics used in the film Sympathy for the Devil.

Date: May 23, 2015 11:42

kdsalter
jagger played guitar for the first time Wed on Whip (I think it was a black strat, but not sure). The next time he played a Gibson acoustic on either Dead Flowers or Wild Horses This was one of those guitars that looks like the acoustics used in the film Sympathy for the Devil.

He always play the Hummingbird on DF. Never on WH.

Date: May 23, 2015 11:45

Mick played guitar on Whip, Dead Flowers and/or Wild Horses and Moonlight Mile. On MM I am pretty sure he started the song with the Japanese part.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:01

I am so proud of the boys of what they are still achieving and the joy they still give to so any of us! Really enjoyed reading the stories and reviews of their club gig>grinning smiley<

Date: May 23, 2015 12:09

{I am trying to respond to BV's post about being in zombieland. I too am a zombie and can't seem to figure out how to get the quote in my post. Sorry!}

Me too. I have been unable to focus on work and just keep drifting back to Weds. It was an incredibly powerful experience. And I can't really explain it. I don't like Start Me Up and I find it trite when they open a show with that number. But it sounded great and instantly jump started the show to a 10. When the All Down the Line blasted its opening chords it all got ratcheted up to about a 12. Whip, not one of my favorites, held its own and was better than they performed it in 78 (as best as I can recall). Dead Flowers was great, but not particularly memorable for me. But when they got to Wild Horse it went into a surreal, spritual kind of thing for me. It was unbelievable. Maybe they doused us with a designer drug, 'cause when they playe Sister Morphine I was in another land (MJ did promise to do Satanic Maj Req as their next full album show --jokingly of course. I shouted out a request for Gomper, but he stuck with SF). And You Gotta Move was out-of-sight. Keith had the audience by their short and curlies. It is hard to believe that You Gotta Move was such a highlight. Its hard to come down after such a high. I just can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can re-live that night. My fear is that whatever it was that made it so special will not be expressed in the film. And then I might second guess myself as to how magical that night was. But there is no denying, I felt it, my daughter felt it and everyone who has written about it has expressed it -- May 20, 2015 was the best RS show ever and probably will always be. I hope the film captures the magic so everyone can enjoy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 12:12 by kdsalter.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:45

If they wouldn't have played every song from SF i guess people here attending the show, wouldn't have called it "the best show" ever. As you all know by now they have done so many good shows over all these years. It's impossible to call one show "the best ever", off course if you had the extreme luck to get in, IT was probably the best show ever for that person. BV should know a lot about this since he got invited to about every single club/theatre show they have done over the last 20 years with a few exceptions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 12:48 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 23, 2015 13:09

kdsalter
{I am trying to respond to BV's post about being in zombieland. I too am a zombie and can't seem to figure out how to get the quote in my post. Sorry!}

Me too. I have been unable to focus on work and just keep drifting back to Weds. It was an incredibly powerful experience. And I can't really explain it. I don't like Start Me Up and I find it trite when they open a show with that number. But it sounded great and instantly jump started the show to a 10. When the All Down the Line blasted its opening chords it all got ratcheted up to about a 12. Whip, not one of my favorites, held its own and was better than they performed it in 78 (as best as I can recall). Dead Flowers was great, but not particularly memorable for me. But when they got to Wild Horse it went into a surreal, spritual kind of thing for me. It was unbelievable. Maybe they doused us with a designer drug, 'cause when they playe Sister Morphine I was in another land (MJ did promise to do Satanic Maj Req as their next full album show --jokingly of course. I shouted out a request for Gomper, but he stuck with SF). And You Gotta Move was out-of-sight. Keith had the audience by their short and curlies. It is hard to believe that You Gotta Move was such a highlight. Its hard to come down after such a high. I just can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can re-live that night. My fear is that whatever it was that made it so special will not be expressed in the film. And then I might second guess myself as to how magical that night was. But there is no denying, I felt it, my daughter felt it and everyone who has written about it has expressed it -- May 20, 2015 was the best RS show ever and probably will always be. I hope the film captures the magic so everyone can enjoy it.

Great! Thanks for the telling.
Keep those attendee comments rolling, they are great. GOMPER!! ;) lol nice!

btw- as far as quoting other messages look at the bottom of the box the message is in and you will see some Options you can hover-over, highlight and click on... do that on "Quote This Message" and the text will pop up in the typing box. Hope it works for you and thanks again for sharing your first hand account. I too hope the magic shows up on the DVD, and I am pretty easy to please, so it should be great, I cant wait.

Date: May 23, 2015 13:29

Naturalust
roller99

Nice shot roller...but they weren't kidding about lining the center of the front row with model types. I think it's a pretty silly requirement for a band of 70 year olds...now that Bill's gone anyway. winking smiley

Enjoyed reading about your journey from casual fan to something more.

peace

....model types and our friend Matt Lee in the front row......he must have had quite an evening!!

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: May 23, 2015 15:52

Leonioid
StonesHood
Micks Talking between songs - Thank You Stonesnews.com

Fantastic!!!
I LOVE Mick's wit between songs... he always cracks me up. Blimey!!
I hope this web site does "Mick Quotes" for every show, they are THE BEST!

Nice pick and wrist bands roller...
so they gave the fancy pants plastic wrist bands to celebs and paper ones to everyone else?

They do Leonioid. Stonesnews.com always post the setlist with "Micks Quotes" between songs. I enjoy his chatter also .

Date: May 23, 2015 16:46

Leonioid
kdsalter

btw- as far as quoting other messages look at the bottom of the box the message is in and you will see some Options you can hover-over, highlight and click on... do that on "Quote This Message" and the text will pop up in the typing box. Hope it works for you and thanks again for sharing your first hand account. I too hope the magic shows up on the DVD, and I am pretty easy to please, so it should be great, I cant wait.

OK, I think I got the quote thing down. Thanks Leonioid. I set up a BBS (Bulletin Board System) in 1992, just before the Web began to take off. This site seems to have some deep roots in the UI. I need to channel my younger self to use it correctly.

Date: May 23, 2015 16:55

kdsalter
Leonioid
kdsalter

OK, I think I got the quote thing down. Thanks Leonioid. I set up a BBS (Bulletin Board System) in 1992, just before the Web began to take off. This site seems to have some deep roots in the UI. I need to channel my younger self to use it correctly.

Wow, this is almost exactly how I feel (except I LOVE Whip).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:24

kdsalter
Leonioid
kdsalter

And if you quote on a message type your comment below it and not above....just a tip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 18:00 by NICOS.

Date: May 23, 2015 17:41

Some other things I thought were cool about the show. When the band came out for the first couple of songs, it was just them. No keyboards or backup singers, just the core. Shows how powerful they can still be and puts to rest all the talk of them needing to be augmented.

From the front, I got a huge insight into the mechanics of the band. If you've played in a band, you know that people give visual clues as to ehen to end the bridge, stretch it out two more bars, etc. I had heard that Charlie follows Keith and the rest follow Charlie but it sure wasn't like that at the Fonda. It seems that Ronnie is leading but being cued precisely by Mick. Charlie follows Ronnie and Keith follows them all. Keith plays shorter solos so I didn't see Mick cue him at all. Very interesting dynamic, but also very common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 18:09 by roller99.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:50

Really? At the Trabendo, Bondy and O2 they were all looking to Chuck for cues (not queues!). It was a bit less obvious at HP and in 2014 so maybe they've emancipated themselves from Chuck now ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 23, 2015 18:12

gotdablouse
Really? At the Trabendo, Bondy and O2 they were all looking to Chuck for cues (not queues!). It was a bit less obvious at HP and in 2014 so maybe they've emancipated themselves from Chuck now ;-)

I've heard that Chuck CUES them, and even heard a quip that "nobody counts off like Chuck", but from where I stood, it was all Mick. He's also wearing IEMs and Keith isn't, so he's got a very clear picture of what's happening.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 23, 2015 20:05

If there were a bunch of models and pretty girls down in front then they probay will release a DVD of the show. Are there any other shows Besides the Beacon that had models down front

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2015 20:14

donvis
If there were a bunch of models and pretty girls down in front then they probay will release a DVD of the show. Are there any other shows Besides the Beacon that had models down front

I have never seen that many cameras in a club show before. Sure this was for a visual production.

Bjornulf

Date: May 23, 2015 20:26

roller99
Some other things I thought were cool about the show. When the band came out for the first couple of songs, it was just them. No keyboards or backup singers, just the core. Shows how powerful they can still be and puts to rest all the talk of them needing to be augmented.

From the front, I got a huge insight into the mechanics of the band. If you've played in a band, you know that people give visual clues as to ehen to end the bridge, stretch it out two more bars, etc. I had heard that Charlie follows Keith and the rest follow Charlie but it sure wasn't like that at the Fonda. It seems that Ronnie is leading but being cued precisely by Mick. Charlie follows Ronnie and Keith follows them all. Keith plays shorter solos so I didn't see Mick cue him at all. Very interesting dynamic, but also very common.

It's not unusual on numbers they haven't played a lot that Ronnie leads the band.

But I bet it wasn't like that on BS and JJF..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 60 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home