Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:13

I am sooooo looking forward to the show on Sunday! Getting ready to fly to San Diego now!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:14

meredithhunter

I have not read much of this thread. But to have that setlist, even without Mick Taylor for STICKY FINGERS material, (so much I, as a non-taylorite, would have loved to have read him taking part though), must have been an amazing treat, all the same. Experienced within the album context, songs with more or less warhorse status, like "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" must have regained some freshness from the context, too. And instead of further warhorses, even to have covers like "Rock Me Baby", which song I google, and is reminded of a BB King connection, and "Can't Turn You Loose" is so very attractive in addition, indeed it is, and unexpectedly among the encores.

So those of you who are or become privileged to experience all this, do treasure your moments. Hopefully this complete concert concept does not relate to that concert only, but will be followed on every concert on that US-part of this tour. Or other wellcome surprise elements of a similiar nature as to the encores.thumbs up

It would have been a dream to be in the audience for such a concert on an occasion or two in Europe further on, if that is gonna happen.

Edit: Addition of "complete".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 19:18 by Witness.

Posted by: funky415 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:15

I flew down from San Francisco on Tuesday morning hoping to score a miracle ticket to see the Rolling Stones play at the Fonda Theatre. After spending Tuesday evening with a good friend and Stones insider it became very clear that this was more of a private party and that if any tickets were released they would be next to impossible to score. I was determined nevertheless and felt at peace that Wednesday night would be a great night no matter what happened with tickets.

Well, after trying for tickets online and pounding the pavement for the better part of 36 hours the stars aligned and my miracle ticket presented itself. How????? Pure luck!!!!!! Like many people here I ended up at the El Rey Theatre hoping for a ticket drop. I arrived at the El Rey around 3pm on Wednesday and was #15-20 in the line. I spent the next 3 hours talking with a bunch of cool folks / IORR's. The sun was shining. I was not sitting behind a desk. It was a good day to be in Los Angeles.

Security had been clear the whole afternoon that no extra tickets would be sold at the El Rey but we suspected otherwise and just hung out. By 6pm there were close to 100 people in the line and we all knew it was getting close to go/no go time. It was CRUNCH TIME!!!! Then it happened. I was standing there in the same line I had been for 3+ hours when I heard a guy come up to a security guard and say: "My guest can't make it tonight. Should I just go inside and get my wrist band?" The instant I heard those words I put my arm around him and said: "I will be your guest!" And then in a blink of an eye we walked into the EL Rey Theatre to get our wrist bands and it was all done in less than 1 minute. My heart was pounding. It still is actually. I thanked my new friend, Zach, and asked if I could give him some money for the ticket and he said "There is NO WAY I am taking any money from you for a ticket that cost me NOTHING." WOW!!! Thank you, Zach!!

At this point it was getting close to 7pm so I rushed back to my hotel to get ready. First stop the hotel bar (needed a few cocktails to calm me down!) where I bumped into Karl Denson at the bar and chatted it up a bit. I told Karl my story about just getting the tickets and said how excited I was for him to be touring with the Stones. He was super excited for me and very gracious.

Then onto the show and oh what a show it was! What can I cay that others here have not already said?!?!?!?!? The Rolling Stones still have what it takes to be the greatest rock and roll band in world on any given night. On Wednesday night, May 20th, in Los Angeles California they were all that and more. No doubt the best Rolling Stones show I have EVER seen and one of the top 3 shows in my lifetime.

THANK YOU to Zach and THANK YOU to the ROLLING STONES for the night of a lifetime!!!

I'll be in San Diego and hope to see and meet some of you fine IORR's down there!

One love!

Ian

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:19

Zach rocks.
Thanks for posting your fine fine story, funky415

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:37

funky415
I flew down from San Francisco on Tuesday morning hoping to score a miracle ticket to see the Rolling Stones play at the Fonda Theatre. After spending Tuesday evening with a good friend and Stones insider it became very clear that this was more of a private party and that if any tickets were released they would be next to impossible to score. I was determined nevertheless and felt at peace that Wednesday night would be a great night no matter what happened with tickets.

Well, after trying for tickets online and pounding the pavement for the better part of 36 hours the stars aligned and my miracle ticket presented itself. How????? Pure luck!!!!!! Like many people here I ended up at the El Rey Theatre hoping for a ticket drop. I arrived at the El Rey around 3pm on Wednesday and was #15-20 in the line. I spent the next 3 hours talking with a bunch of cool folks / IORR's. The sun was shining. I was not sitting behind a desk. It was a good day to be in Los Angeles.

Security had been clear the whole afternoon that no extra tickets would be sold at the El Rey but we suspected otherwise and just hung out. By 6pm there were close to 100 people in the line and we all knew it was getting close to go/no go time. It was CRUNCH TIME!!!! Then it happened. I was standing there in the same line I had been for 3+ hours when I heard a guy come up to a security guard and say: "My guest can't make it tonight. Should I just go inside and get my wrist band?" The instant I heard those words I put my arm around him and said: "I will be your guest!" And then in a blink of an eye we walked into the EL Rey Theatre to get our wrist bands and it was all done in less than 1 minute. My heart was pounding. It still is actually. I thanked my new friend, Zach, and asked if I could give him some money for the ticket and he said "There is NO WAY I am taking any money from you for a ticket that cost me NOTHING." WOW!!! Thank you, Zach!!

At this point it was getting close to 7pm so I rushed back to my hotel to get ready. First stop the hotel bar (needed a few cocktails to calm me down!) where I bumped into Karl Denson at the bar and chatted it up a bit. I told Karl my story about just getting the tickets and said how excited I was for him to be touring with the Stones. He was super excited for me and very gracious.

Then onto the show and oh what a show it was! What can I cay that others here have not already said?!?!?!?!? The Rolling Stones still have what it takes to be the greatest rock and roll band in world on any given night. On Wednesday night, May 20th, in Los Angeles California they were all that and more. No doubt the best Rolling Stones show I have EVER seen and one of the top 3 shows in my lifetime.

THANK YOU to Zach and THANK YOU to the ROLLING STONES for the night of a lifetime!!!

I'll be in San Diego and hope to see and meet some of you fine IORR's down there!

One love!

Ian

Great story Ian!!
Maybe the best story so far...
Congrats on seeing what is being called the best show in years!!!

The moral? The harder one works, the luckier one gets.

I hope they release this show soon so we can see it too (without too many over dubs and fixes)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:43

Good for you and a great read ! Looks like you were quick on the draw, your neighbours must have been stunned but someone had to get that extra ticket.

From the RS review :

The last Stones road trip included a guest spot for former guitarist Mick Taylor. His absence is particularly conspicuous considering the prominent role he played on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step. The one exception was the seven-minute epic "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." The Stones began with a grinding Richards riff, but then the guitars went soft and funky as the saxman Karl Denson took centerstage for a round of sultry, jazzy honking. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell played a rousing lead and Jagger shook a pair of maracas at the crowd, but guitars were nearly invisible for much of this beloved album cut. Taylor was missed.

Does it mean that Ronnie didn't even try a solo ? Why haven't any of the previous "reviews" mentioned that rather important event ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 19:52 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 22, 2015 19:49

funky415

One love!

Ian

Awesome!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:49

After reading all the stories and experiences I wish I could have been there. When the tickets went on sale I was plugged into a chemotherapy pump. Oh well. I figure it's better to be around to enjoy another show somewhere down the road than it would have been to drop everything to make this one. Reading IORR the next morning left me with a warm feeling for those who got in...fans, guests of the band, or industry types. It sounds like A Splendid Time Was Had By All.

Sticky Fingers is one of the four very different, but equally iconic, albums the Stones recorded during their incredible 1968 - 1972 arc, and I look forward to the DVD and / or CD of this milestone show. Thank you to the Stones for taking advantage of this opportunity to perform SF live. I suspect Sister Morphine worked much better at the Henry Fonda than it would before 100,000 souls at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Congratulations to all that got in, and congratulations to bv for creating and managing this forum. Rock On!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:53

DandelionPowderman
funky415

One love!

Ian

Great story!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:56

funky415/Ian, fantastic story, so glad you got in!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:04

angee
funky415/Ian, fantastic story, so glad you got in!

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:09

1969Fan
After reading all the stories and experiences I wish I could have been there. When the tickets went on sale I was plugged into a chemotherapy pump. Oh well. I figure it's better to be around to enjoy another show somewhere down the road than it would have been to drop everything to make this one. Reading IORR the next morning left me with a warm feeling for those who got in...fans, guests of the band, or industry types. It sounds like A Splendid Time Was Had By All.

Sticky Fingers is one of the four very different, but equally iconic, albums the Stones recorded during their incredible 1968 - 1972 arc, and I look forward to the DVD and / or CD of this milestone show. Thank you to the Stones for taking advantage of this opportunity to perform SF live. I suspect Sister Morphine worked much better at the Henry Fonda than it would before 100,000 souls at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Congratulations to all that got in, and congratulations to bv for creating and managing this forum. Rock On!

Sorry about the chemo. I sincerely hope it works and that you'll be out and about soon, doing the things you used to do.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:20

24FPS
1969Fan

Sorry about the chemo. I sincerely hope it works and that you'll be out and about soon, doing the things you used to do.

It's Only Rock and Roll, But I Like It. Thanks, 24FPS!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:31

gotdablouse
Good for you and a great read ! Looks like you were quick on the draw, your neighbours must have been stunned but someone had to get that extra ticket.

From the RS review :

The last Stones road trip included a guest spot for former guitarist Mick Taylor. His absence is particularly conspicuous considering the prominent role he played on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step. The one exception was the seven-minute epic "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." The Stones began with a grinding Richards riff, but then the guitars went soft and funky as the saxman Karl Denson took centerstage for a round of sultry, jazzy honking. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell played a rousing lead and Jagger shook a pair of maracas at the crowd, but guitars were nearly invisible for much of this beloved album cut. Taylor was missed.

Does it mean that Ronnie didn't even try a solo ? Why haven't any of the previous "reviews" mentioned that rather important event ?

Wow. Can't believe RS had the balls to state the obvious and even point out where he could have most helped out here. Good for them. thumbs up

I curious how the slower and rarely played numbers like I Got The Blues and Sister Morphine came out. Obviously no complaints since most reporting here are calling it one of the best shows ever. Did they nail them? Was the crowd response good enough that Mick might actually include them both on the tour set lists?

Also, what songs beside Moonlight Mile did Mick plat guitar on, if any?

Hopefully one of you lucky ones who saw the show can clear up those two questions for me. Much thanks.

peace

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:34

Thansk BV for your great story and have some more good concerts.

1969Fan have a good recovery.

Date: May 22, 2015 20:56

Naturalust
gotdablouse

From the RS review :

Wow. Can't believe RS had the balls to state the obvious and even point out where he could have most helped out here. Good for them. thumbs up

I curious how the slower and rarely played numbers like I Got The Blues and Sister Morphine came out. Obviously no complaints since most reporting here are calling it one of the best shows ever. Did they nail them? Was the crowd response good enough that Mick might actually include them both on the tour set lists?

Hopefully one of you lucky ones who saw the show can clear up those two questions for me. Much thanks.

peace

Mick played guitar on "Whip", and quite well. I Got The Blues was one of the highlights for me. I would have loved a longer keyboard solo, I love me some B3. The crowd response was overwhelming. I was right in the front row and the band smiled all night. They loved the response from the crowd.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:21

A message just appeared on Facebook about a bundle t shirt and print. It looks fab and I really want it, but I cannot get away with wearing a d**k on my womanly assets>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:23

desertblues68
A message just appeared on Facebook about a bundle t shirt and print. It looks fab and I really want it, but I cannot get away with wearing a d**k on my womanly assets>grinning smiley<

And it's only $70 for $35 dollars worth of merchandise!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:24

roller99
Naturalust
gotdablouse

From the RS review :

peace

Mick played guitar on "Whip", and quite well. I Got The Blues was one of the highlights for me. I would have loved a longer keyboard solo, I love me some B3. The crowd response was overwhelming. I was right in the front row and the band smiled all night. They loved the response from the crowd.

Now that's something I had been wondering about. If the invited crowd had really been 95% uncaring celebs and rent-a-models, they wouldn't have got that kind of reaction. As with Jack Nicholson, being a celebrity insider doesn't mean you can't also be a fan (though a few clearly weren't).

Well done funky415, and well done Zach - who could have held out for whatever the going scalper's rate was.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:27

24FPS
desertblues68

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:39

roller99

Thanks roller99, appreciate it! I take it you are now a full fledged Rolling Stones fan? winking smiley

peace

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:40

roller99
DandelionPowderman
funky415

One love!

Ian

Great story!

That was one of the most fantastic stories I have ever heard of getting a ticket for a special Stones show. I just don't have the heart to wait. I would have fell over dead with anticipation to wait that close to show time and not have a ticket.

Dear Doctor please help me. There's a pain where once was my heart.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:44

roller99
Naturalust
gotdablouse

From the RS review :

peace

So that's a confirmation that Ronnie didn't play any solo on CYHMK ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:50

desertblues68
Thanks for the heads up,
and that was the first time I have gone to their facebook page... so they have that going for them.

They are very cool... as was shown by roller's picture of his shirt in his picture and someone said this poster was being offered on ebay for $299.99 yesterday although I did not see that... but here it is [www.facebook.com]

I dont buy (I dont pay too high full price for) shirts and posters to shows I do not attend, but still this is cool... and of course if it was priced at treefiddy I would take 5 of each.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 21:52 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:51

Just loooove that story, funky415 smileys with beer

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:54

When was the last time they did a show without Keith singing 2 songs?
It seems like the Fonda theater concert was an amazing show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 22, 2015 22:01

rollmops
When was the last time they did a show without Keith singing 2 songs?
It seems like the Fonda theater concert was an amazing show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Keith doesn't get to sing much at warmup gigs. (Echoplex and Trabendo)

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 22, 2015 22:01

24FPS
desertblues68

Wrong. At the show the poster & t-shirt were $30 each. So For $70 + tax including shipping would have saved me the time and hassle of carrying poster back to NYC! So I ordered more! What a show it was!

Date: May 22, 2015 22:15

gotdablouse
roller99
Naturalust
gotdablouse

From the RS review :

peace

So that's a confirmation that Ronnie didn't play any solo on CYHMK ?

No. Ronnie did play the solo on CYHMK. It was flat. But it's going to leave a lot of people disappointed because we saw MT do it two years ago. I guarantee you that Ronnie can do the solo note for note. He can make it sound exactly like MT if he wants to. I know this because I can play the solo myself. I have a triple-pickup 1971 Les Paul Custom and you hardly have to know how to play guitar and you can make the MT sound. Just hook the right amp up to one of these classics, and there you go. And I'm nowhere near as talented as Ronnie. He purposely doesn't try to play like MT so people don't run around calling him a MT knockoff.

So ok, it was flat and the song felt rushed. But how many times have we seen them perform CYHMK? Plenty. How many times have we heard them play the rest of SF (sans Brown Sugar)? Exactly.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 22:37

funky415

One love!

Ian

Absolutely brilliant.thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home