Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: May 22, 2015 11:28

What a wonderful post you made Bjornulf, on may 22, 2015 02:35 page 55.
So true again.

Let it rock!

Posted by: Angerena ()
Date: May 22, 2015 11:37

very very nice thread

Posted by: Angerena ()
Date: May 22, 2015 11:39

bv
Very very nice post
You simply can't write about this show without getting emotional. Well at least that goes for me. "Sticky Fingers" was my first Stones album...

People ask me this: What is the best ever show you have seen with the Stones? I mean I have seen them many times, but still, my answer is always the same: You can't compare shows. Like I can't compare my children. They are all unique. Sure there has been some outstanding shows. My best memories are from Roseland, Brixton, Wichita, and a number of great shows in Hartford, MSG and Buenos Aires. But still... As of today, it is all clear. My best Rolling Stones show ever so far was at the Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles California May 20, 2015.

They started off with "Start Me Up", like a regular show. Except Keith came walking on stage, Pierre strapped his guitar, the rest of the band arrived, and we got "Start Me Up". I was in the front, with friends to my left, and with half a dozen great looking girls in their 20's on my right. As some of them left before show start, I was up there in the front from the start. I was never more than 5-10 meters i.e. 15-30 feet away from Ronnie, Keith and Mick tonight, during the show. Charlie was close too, as the rest of the band. I use glasses at shows these days, but not tonight. I could not get any closer.

They did "Whip" and "All Down The Line". Both great songs. We were some 700 people in the crowd including the 100 or so in the celebrity balcony, but I hardly turned my back to the crowd. My only worry was the fact that this should have been available to more fans but then it would not work the way it worked tonight.

Then it is time for STICKY FINGERS. The whole album. Live. This was my first Stones album. The reason why I am here, why I am following the Stones, why IORR does exist. I got "Sticky Fingers" it in August 1971, and from that day I was hooked, Sticky Fingers and The Rolling Stones defined a large part of my life as from that date. SWAY was so great. And it was so great they started with my favorite song of the album! Dead Flowsers was another favorite. I just loved it.

The emotions came on "Wild Horses". I don't know why, I have got "Wild Horses" so many times live, but the way they did it, the small room, and the memories from my days back in 1971, as a kid age 16 playing "Sticky Fingers" to the pieces, at my parents home, my first home, I got tears in my eyes, it was such a great version of "Wild Horses". The camera man was always on our faces, I just hope he did not catch me in those moments. But I loved every bit of it.

I am not going to do a song by song here, because I am too tired, and I don't remember all the details. But I do remember Keith's white teeth! When his band members were shining, Keith was all smiles, and that is the best part of the show, when you enjoy it so much, and you see Keith do the same.

Matt Clifford was there next to Chuck Leavelle on many songs. It gave them a wider sound and it worked well. Karl Denson made the most outstanding solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", I was frozen watching and listening to his unique rendering of the Bobby Keys spot on this song. Mick did mention it almost had a jazz touch. Sure it dit, and it raised the show to another level.

Chuck Leavelle did a great solo on "I Got The Blues". At this point of the show, I was still in my teenager room with my record player, listening to Sticky Fingers, and it just happened that the band who made this album was right in front of me, on stage, performing the very same album live right now.

Moonlight Mile. Again I got emotional. Half a year after I got Sticky Fingers I met my wife, still my wife now, she gave me the freedom to follow the Stones during all these 44 years, still counting, and I felt she was right here in this room. The musical rendering of the song was absolutely amazing, I wish they could do it more often.

As they closed the Sticky Fingers session with "Brown Sugar", my time machine trip back to my teenager days of 1971 ended quickly. Yeah Year Yeah, hands up, my mind was back in the stadium show mode, thinking about the next show in San Diego...

The rest you may read about on Internet. "Can't Turn You Loose" must be kept on the tour, for every show. It is a crowd pleaser, and I hope they will do it 15 times more on this tour!

Are they hot? Yes! Are they on? Yes! Are you going to San Diego? No? Get sorted! Get down there, it will be a mamory for lifetime. See you in San Diego on the real tour start Sunday May 24!

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:13

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:14

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:42

right on great post BV i'm looking forward to Columbus and Pittsburgh

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:53

Great post bv, looking forward to hearing about the rest of the tour and hope to see the boys again soongrinning smiley

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:58

Yes indeed BV, another excellent post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 14:59 by curt.

Date: May 22, 2015 15:02

Gotta add to the many other comments here, a great post bv and eloquently put.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:03

Bjornulf, You are a true voice of reason and profound wisdom speaks from your post. There is no point in grief wallowing and playing the blame game.
But in the bigger picture you can't deny that Justins assessment is spot on. When the DVD will come out, you can bet there will be aerial footage of eager fans
lining up aruond the block, cut together in a way that will lead one to believe those are identical with the audience inside. That is a cruel ploy any way you look at it.
Give or take personal frustrations. I've had my own share of misfortune concerning past club shows, I am not involved in this one but I can't be indifferent about it.
If they ever put on a gig for their most hardcore fans I have a suggestion how all of that can be dealt with: they should simply bill it as "The Cockroaches" as they did in the past.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:22

Nice one BV thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:33

Truly Excellent Post, Bjornulf.

Both from the head and heart. Sticky Fingers clearly means a hell of a lot to you. Was a real pleasure to meet you last year at the final rehearsal at the Telenor and thanks for the lift into town afterwards too smiling smiley

I'm contemplating bagging a last minute flight to Toronto in July to take in Detroit & Buffalo and that great read has pushed me closer to doing it.... winking smiley

Gregor

Date: May 22, 2015 15:37

grzegorz67

Both from the head and heart. Sticky Fingers clearly means a hell of a lot to you. Was a real pleasure to meet you last year at the final rehearsal at the Telenor and thanks for the lift into town afterwards too smiling smiley

I'm contemplating bagging a last minute flight to Toronto in July to take in Detroit & Buffalo and that great read has pushed me closer to doing it.... winking smiley

Gregor

What? On the backseat of his bike?? winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:45

In my opinion (for what it's worth) there has been some great points made here about how things happen in Stones World. I used to get too emotionally involved but got burned enough to realize that was a poor decision/investment. Still I enjoy the music but don't expect anything from these guys. It's great they're still playing and doing a fine job at it. But past that it's all nostalgia. Though many of the Rock And Roll greats have past or no longer active there is enough excitement to rock 'til I drop. I wish good karma on fellow iorrians that love the music and happiness it brings. Cheers.

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:04

Angerena
bv
You simply can't write about this show without getting emotional. Well at least that goes for me. "Sticky Fingers" was my first Stones album...

Thank you so much for this wonderful report, BV!

Sitting here at work, I have to admit, that I am really envious; and I am so happy that our boys are playing, and that you all had your Stones time of your life!

Please keep on providing us with your reports, for all those Stones fans who do not have the opportunity to see them in the US!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:19

Not one video posted yet? Echoplex redux?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:34

bv
Forget about the celebrities list. There will always be celebrities like presidents, kings, queens, mayors, Jack Nicholson (he is a great fan by the way) and so on. Let them drive their fine cars and sit on their balconies. They bring TV stations and they bring publicity so any band in the industry would love to have those in the crowd. And they don't take up space. There were plenty of fan space at the Fonda, may be not 50,000 seats, but several hundred real tickets for real fans. If you were not lucky, then don't blame anyone. Blame bad luck. Blame you did not go to LA. Blame your dog, blame yourself for not submitting your story. Blame youself because you did not make the Stones aware of the fact that you do deserve the ticket more than Jack Nicholson or even any other celebrity. But please do not blame me or any others on IORR.

BV, I respect you and really appreciate what you do for the Stones fan community, but I can't agree with this. First off, 'several hundred real tickets for real fans' is a long way off what virtually everyone else who made it inside or was standing in the queue reported. And no-one is blaming you, others on IORR or indeed Jack Nicholson. It's not about blame, and it's ridiculous to suggest as you do that the many, many devoted and selfless Stones fans who waited a whole day in the queue for nothing ought to blame themselves because they didn't get in. Many of them paid a lot of money and went to extraordinary lengths to be there, and many wouldn't have done it had they realised what the situation with ticketing actually was. We want a definition of 'real Stones fans'? The people who were in that queue. And yes, to hear of them locked out while hired models and A-listers who don't give a damn get into the show leaves a bad taste in the mouth. That doesn't stop me being really happy for you and the others that lucked out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 16:35 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:05

jazzbass

Not one video posted yet?

At least one has already been posted .... [www.iorr.org] winking smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:29

Stoneburst
of 'real Stones fans'? The people who were in that queue. And yes, to hear of them locked out while hired models and A-listers who don't give a damn get into the show leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Mick & Company were filming and didn't want some mangey 'real Stones fans' dudes up front and center. They wanted some pretty young jiggly things. You know, representing a new generation of Stones fans.

Here is a review from Rolling Stone Magazine
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 17:31 by triceratops.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:38

Please don't blame my dog.

Date: May 22, 2015 17:43

DandelionPowderman
grzegorz67

Gregor

What? On the backseat of his bike?? winking smiley

No Bard, lol winking smiley He actually had his car with him that time. He took 4 of us - myself, a certain Mr Crawdaddy, an English woman who said she was at HP 1969 and young American lass, both of whom I saw at the Stockholm gig. He gave us a guided tour of Oslo on the way in, slowing right down to point out the exact spot of the Stones' 2 gigs in 1965 which is marked by murals next to a roundabout.

You are also a local - I guess you 2 might know one another ? Are you tempted to head over to the US ?

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:27

Stoneburst
bv
Forget about the celebrities list. There will always be celebrities like presidents, kings, queens, mayors, Jack Nicholson (he is a great fan by the way) and so on. Let them drive their fine cars and sit on their balconies. They bring TV stations and they bring publicity so any band in the industry would love to have those in the crowd. And they don't take up space. There were plenty of fan space at the Fonda, may be not 50,000 seats, but several hundred real tickets for real fans. If you were not lucky, then don't blame anyone. Blame bad luck. Blame you did not go to LA. Blame your dog, blame yourself for not submitting your story. Blame youself because you did not make the Stones aware of the fact that you do deserve the ticket more than Jack Nicholson or even any other celebrity. But please do not blame me or any others on IORR.

BV, I respect you and really appreciate what you do for the Stones fan community, but I can't agree with this. First off, 'several hundred real tickets for real fans' is a long way off what virtually everyone else who made it inside or was standing in the queue reported. And no-one is blaming you, others on IORR or indeed Jack Nicholson. It's not about blame, and it's ridiculous to suggest as you do that the many, many devoted and selfless Stones fans who waited a whole day in the queue for nothing ought to blame themselves because they didn't get in. Many of them paid a lot of money and went to extraordinary lengths to be there, and many wouldn't have done it had they realised what the situation with ticketing actually was. We want a definition of 'real Stones fans'? The people who were in that queue. And yes, to hear of them locked out while hired models and A-listers who don't give a damn get into the show leaves a bad taste in the mouth. That doesn't stop me being really happy for you and the others that lucked out.

Jack Nicholson may be an A-lister, but I was sitting near him in 2013 and he was rocking out just like any other fan. He may be A-list, but I actually had a better seat than he did. I had no connection, I went to rollingstones.com and purchased on-line a few days before the show. So all the talk about A-list people having access to these things doesn't hold much weight. I was at the Fonda, so was Jack. I was in the front, he was way back in the seats. I'm glad I'm me and he's him. I wouldn't trade with him for anything, but I bet he would have traded with me the other night.

Just saying...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:29

Nice one roller99. thumbs up

Date: May 22, 2015 18:30

Hi Gregor, you are mistaken about me being in BVs' car. I remember that day so clearly. I met you for the first time at Telenor Arena , but just missed Bard and gibsonman who I had met the previous evening. Also met Linda the English woman for the first time for years. First met her at MSG New York 2003. She was with the American lass.

When I got the bus back to town, I met you again on the bench opposite Stones hotel which I didn't realise. We saw Mick Taylor,Little Steven with Jane Rose, amongst others. Charlotte Watts was having a ciggy.

Left you still on the bench and said 'Hello Mick' to MT as he passed by me. Got a nice response.About 200 metres down the road met Chuck and his missus. They were so nice as we were strolling along. Chuck asked me if Rose could take a pic of the two of us and I could take a pic of Chuck, Rose and a Norwegian lady for them. Such nice people.

So, it wasn't me in the car, but who was it ? It was such a memorable day, I remember every detail. winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:34

triceratops
Stoneburst
of 'real Stones fans'? The people who were in that queue. And yes, to hear of them locked out while hired models and A-listers who don't give a damn get into the show leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Mick & Company were filming and didn't want some mangey 'real Stones fans' dudes up front and center. They wanted some pretty young jiggly things. You know, representing a new generation of Stones fans.

[www.rollingstone.com]

For the most part the review could have been written by Jagger as a PR handout, until they dared mention Taylor's absence, and that he was missed. By the way, has it ever been sussed out exactly WHY Taylor isn't here? Of course Rolling Stone could have answered that, or at least speculated, but we know they're not really journalists (see University of Virginia non-rape scandal).

Date: May 22, 2015 18:43

crawdaddy
Hi Gregor, you are mistaken about me being in BVs' car. I remember that day so clearly. I met you for the first time at Telenor Arena , but just missed Bard and gibsonman who I had met the previous evening. Also met Linda the English woman for the first time for years. First met her at MSG New York 2003. She was with the American lass.

When I got the bus back to town, I met you again on the bench opposite Stones hotel which I didn't realise. We saw Mick Taylor,Little Steven with Jane Rose, amongst others. Charlotte Watts was having a ciggy.

Left you still on the bench and said 'Hello Mick' to MT as he passed by me. Got a nice response.About 200 metres down the road met Chuck and his missus. They were so nice as we were strolling along. Chuck asked me if Rose could take a pic of the two of us and I could take a pic of Chuck, Rose and a Norwegian lady for them. Such nice people.

So, it wasn't me in the car, but who was it ? It was such a memorable day, I remember every detail. winking smiley

Hi Tony. Thanks for the correction. I'm really scratching my head as to who the 4th liftee was nowwinking smiley Bard & Gibsonman had gone by the time I got to the Telenor for the final full show rehearsal, of which I only caught half.

I'm hugely impressed by your forensic memory there - crikey! I remember ALL of those other details now. I certainly remember bumping into you in town and seeing your photos of Chuck Leavell. Jane Rose I would not know but I do remember all the rest. I've got right into the Who since I saw them in March and will definitely be at Hyde Park. So many Stones fans are also Who fans and now I know why smiling smiley The 2 bands seem to be fans of each other too.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:57

24FPS
triceratops
Stoneburst

[www.rollingstone.com]

For the most part the review could have been written by Jagger as a PR handout, until they dared mention Taylor's absence, and that he was missed. By the way, has it ever been sussed out exactly WHY Taylor isn't here? Of course Rolling Stone could have answered that, or at least speculated, but we know they're not really journalists (see University of Virginia non-rape scandal).

I posted on here a while ago as to why MT was not on this tour, but I got pounced on by some wanting to know my source, or criticizing my lack of encyclopedic knowledge of the Stones. I will never reveal some sources, and will reveal others. Rather than wondering why MT was NOT here, has anyone wondered why he WAS there in 2013?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:58

roller99

I'm glad I'm me and he's him. I wouldn't trade with him for anything, but I bet he would have traded with me the other night.

Just saying...

... thta's called the "post-gig high". You derail until someone brings you to your senses! >grinning smiley<
I'm sure Jack doesn't even remember how many Stones club-shows he attended. Back in 95 he was at the Olympia.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:58

24FPS
[ By the way, has it ever been sussed out exactly WHY Taylor isn't here? Of course Rolling Stone could have answered that, or at least speculated, but we know they're not really journalists (see University of Virginia non-rape scandal).

He quit the band in 1974

Date: May 22, 2015 19:01

Hope to meet up with you at Hyde Park Gregor. Will give you my mobile number before the big day.

You saying about The Who and Stones being close reminds me of a little story.

A builder mate of mine was doing some work in Pete Townshends place , The Wick on Richmond Hill, near my home area at the time. A knock on the door , Pete answered ,and it was Mick Jagger who lived nearby. He just came round for a cuppa tea ,biccys and a chat my mate said. About 20 years ago when still with Jerry.

By the way, Jane Rose has been Keiths PA or manager type job since the 70's I think.Very nice woman if you catch her on a good day by all accounts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home