Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 65
Re: Los Angeles CA USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: April 2, 2015 19:04

Thank you, guys.
It looks that most of venues are between downtown and Hollywood.
So I am going to book my accommodation in downtown.

donvis
If they are filming for a DVD Sticky Fingers show, please no damn guest stars!!!!!!

Agree. I don't want any guests, I want to see this great and beautiful sets by pure Stones.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 3, 2015 01:08

a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis
If they are filming for a DVD Sticky Fingers show, please no damn guest stars!!!!!!

Agree. I don't want any guests, I want to see this great and beautiful sets by pure Stones.

Careful with that decision, downtown LA is fine during the day but from what I recall, it can be a pretty scary place at night. Maybe things have changed since the early 90's when I often frequented the place.

peace

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 3, 2015 02:22

Naturalust
a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis

Careful with that decision, downtown LA is fine during the day but from what I recall, it can be a pretty scary place at night. Maybe things have changed since the early 90's when I often frequented the place.

peace

Agree, be careful downtown at night! Some of the areas have been re-developed, but it's slow in coming.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 3, 2015 06:22

Naturalust
a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis

peace

Downtown LA of now bears little resemblance to the downtown of the early 1990's. Or even 10 years ago.

Date: April 3, 2015 06:41

Dan
Naturalust
a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis

peace

Downtown LA of now bears little resemblance to the downtown of the early 1990's. Or even 10 years ago.

That's true, some parts such as the Arts District, Little Tokyo and Nokia Live are jumping, but for example, if you are staying at the DoubleTree in Little Tokyo, you want to make sure that you don't walk more than a block or 2 south at night.

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 13:42

BluzDude
Dan
Naturalust
a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis

peace

That's true, some parts such as the Arts District, Little Tokyo and Nokia Live are jumping, but for example, if you are staying at the DoubleTree in Little Tokyo, you want to make sure that you don't walk more than a block or 2 south at night.

It was only dangerous at night a couple of years back when Rockman was in town. Should be safe now.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: April 3, 2015 14:45

Oh, OK.

Thank you for your advice, guys.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 14:45 by a bigger nut.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 3, 2015 18:45

LA INFO: As soon as the LA date and location is announced,
I'd be happy to advise on transportation and assorted hotels/motels.
Downtown is very tricky these days depending on busy streets, scary people at
night.

The #14 Metro bus is reliable covering parts of West Hollywood and Hollywood and Downtown.. It's main route is along Beverly Blvd and is well detailed on the Internet. Motels/hotels can be pricey and often disappointing.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:28

Did some further checking as I began to fear for safety re Downtown motels/hotels. A friend who is a cop just told me, "DON't let your pals stay downtown. It's pickpocket city...just like Hollywood Blvd."

The Bevonshire motel is an old but trustworthy place to stay in a fine location
on Beverly Blvd. near Fairfax. Close to the very trendy "Grove," a mall for people with money but great atmosphere and also to the long loved Farmer's Market with many choices of good food and on the #14 Bus route which covers
a lot of worthwhile bus stops and goes all the way to downtown.

I called "John" who runs the place. One bed is 80 dollars. Two bedded room
under $100...all depends on how busy they are or it could go up a bit You can find them on the web. Likely to be very busy by early May. It will be SAFE and he did not get pushy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:47

I've never had any problems staying in Downtown L.A., but if people want to get paranoid about it all that's their choice.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:19

Hairball
I've never had any problems staying in Downtown L.A., but if people want to get paranoid about it all that's their choice.

I lived in LA for a decade up to a year ago and spent loads of nights downtown; one of the safest downtown's in the US these days. If you are used to travelling downtown LA is not going to be an issue for you at all.
As the two most rumoured locations are both in or near downtown (Nokia & Shrine), that would absolutely be where I would advise staying.
Find a hotel south of 1st and north of Venice and you'll be fine.
I would not recommend staying south of downtown toward where the Shrine is, that said, walking between downtown and the Shrine on the night of a concert up and down Figueroa is perfectly safe.
Nokia is next to Staples center at the corner of Figueroa and Olympic.
The Shrine is at Figueroa and Jefferson about a mile south of downtown

Date: April 3, 2015 21:42

Take a lovely midnight stroll down 4th & San Pedro winking smiley

Date: April 3, 2015 21:52

stonesrule
Did some further checking as I began to fear for safety re Downtown motels/hotels. A friend who is a cop just told me, "DON't let your pals stay downtown. It's pickpocket city...just like Hollywood Blvd."

Never had my pockets picked either place.

Had a transient try to start a fight with me downtown near 6th & Grand (one of the "good" areas) but I was able to avoid any trouble, and that can happen pretty much everywhere.

But I go out all the time via public transportation and have been walking around the area at night. I actually prefer downtown to Hollywood.

Used to be Downtown was all commercial & government, so no housing and no amenities after hours but that started changing several years ago. And once they got a grocery store and a drug store, that pushed the area around the corner and gentrification & civilization process sped up.

There is still a large skid row area west of Main and south of third.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:59

Dan
Naturalust
a bigger nut
Thank you, guys.

donvis

peace

What is sad is that Hollywood Boulevard has reverted back to the sleazy, semi-dangerous place it used to be. Ever since Virgin records died and left Hollywood and Highland without an anchor store, the Boulevard itself is nothing but street hustlers banging on plastic buckets with drumsticks, or 'rappers' giving you a 'free' CD and then demanding a 'contribution'.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 17:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 17:25 by roller99.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 4, 2015 18:16

24FPS

What is sad is that Hollywood Boulevard has reverted back to the sleazy, semi-dangerous place it used to be. Ever since Virgin records died and left Hollywood and Highland without an anchor store, the Boulevard itself is nothing but street hustlers banging on plastic buckets with drumsticks, or 'rappers' giving you a 'free' CD and then demanding a 'contribution'.

True. Hollywood Blvd. is an embarrassment. God knows what the tourists think about the grungy "superheroes" and their frequent bumfights. The only dangers downtown are trigger-happy cops and hipsters drunk on pricy craft beers. Anyway, if the Stones rehearse and secret-gig based on past performance, you'd want to be somewhere between the 91505 and 90028 zip codes, certainly not downtown.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 5, 2015 17:44

Freejack
A nice theater show would be great here in LA. A good 5-7,000 seater,
Burning again at The Hollywood Palladium.
John Anson Ford Theater
Long Beach Arena (again)
Henry Fonda Theater
Wiltern (again)
Nokia Theater
Kodak Theater
El Capitan
El Rey
Wilshire Ebell Theater
Shrine Auditorium

Don't forget the Grove in Anaheim, or even the Honda Center.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 5, 2015 17:48

donvis

^^^THIS.

Date: April 5, 2015 19:53

Last night I was walking to the Escondite near 3rd & San Pedro. At the corner while waiting for the light there was an older man there saying someting completely guttural and incoherent. I was trying not to make eye contact and hoping for the light to quickly change. He was wearing pajamas, open shirt and some sort of fuzzy hat. I was watching out of the corner of my eye hoping he wouldn't come toward me. The light changes and I quickly move on.

I am walking back around 1:00am. He is now completely naked aside from shoes standing in front of a hotel lobby doors making the same noise that sounds like Tuvan throat singing only much louder. I pick up the pace and wonder if the woman on the other side of the window staring back at him has called the police.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: April 5, 2015 21:38

Dan,
Can you suggest rehearsal travel plans given your past experience with rehearsals and where to stay to avoid guttural and incoherent run ins?

Date: April 5, 2015 21:48

2120Joe
Dan,
Can you suggest rehearsal travel plans given your past experience with rehearsals and where to stay to avoid guttural and incoherent run ins?

I've never really stayed anywhere other than home but unfortunately it's a hovel unfit for any living thing.

There are dozens of rehearsal places in the LA area so I wouldn't just assume they would rehearse in Burbank again. If they do, it's literally across the street from the airport and there are plenty of motels in the immediate area.

Burbank PD usually does a decent job of keeping any undesirables out. If that doesn't apply to you then it could be a pretty nice place to stay.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: April 5, 2015 22:39

Thanks Dan. I don't believe the police will be chasing me out but I must admit to occasionally being incoherent after a few. Im looking forward to more rehearsal information. Tough to make plans only to find Im not in right town or have wrong dates.

Date: April 6, 2015 00:12

Dan
Last night I was walking to the Escondite near 3rd & San Pedro. At the corner while waiting for the light there was an older man there saying someting completely guttural and incoherent. I was trying not to make eye contact and hoping for the light to quickly change. He was wearing pajamas, open shirt and some sort of fuzzy hat. I was watching out of the corner of my eye hoping he wouldn't come toward me. The light changes and I quickly move on.

I am walking back around 1:00am. He is now completely naked aside from shoes standing in front of a hotel lobby doors making the same noise that sounds like Tuvan throat singing only much louder. I pick up the pace and wonder if the woman on the other side of the window staring back at him has called the police.

I know what you mean....my office is at Temple & Los Angeles St. and a couple times a month we go to lunch at Paul's Kitchen on San Pedro near 10th, so we drive right thru that.....night or day, not a pretty site.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 6, 2015 23:56

If you look on Google Maps, it actually says 'skid row', near 'downtown'.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: April 7, 2015 00:29

If they do an LA show it will be a dress rehearsal, like U2 did at the Forum before their last tour, or it will be a special Theater event, perhaps to film of Sticky Fingers, with guests, etc.

It's not likely a stadium show, or even a big arena show, think Forum or smaller. they will likely be rehearsing in LA, as they liked that before, and it sets up well for the San Diego launch.

Downtown is filled with fans almost every night from the Staples Center. The Kings, Lakers, Clippers, and tons of concerts are down there. Its totally safe.

Posted by: stonesfan7676 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 05:46

Does anyone know how likely they are to announce rehearsal shows in advance? Do they usually only make those announcements the day of? I'd be coming from Seattle, so I'm hoping I'd have a little notice cool smiley Also, any predictions on the date/s? I heard a rumor about May 20th...

-Mel

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 7, 2015 07:00

I want to come down for the San Diego show from Vancouver BC, and hopefully hit LA beforehand.

I read somewhere - probably on this board - that tix for the LA show(s) MIGHT be announced the day of, and they will be sold at one location only, like in Amsterdam in '94 for the Stripped shows at The Paradiso.

There's video of hundreds of fans standing around in the street waiting for a radio announcement for the ticket sale location, then running like a stampede to the outlet.

Ready...Set....

Date: April 7, 2015 09:11

mosthigh
I want to come down for the San Diego show from Vancouver BC, and hopefully hit LA beforehand.

I read somewhere - probably on this board - that tix for the LA show(s) MIGHT be announced the day of, and they will be sold at one location only, like in Amsterdam in '94 for the Stripped shows at The Paradiso.

There's video of hundreds of fans standing around in the street waiting for a radio announcement for the ticket sale location, then running like a stampede to the outlet.

Ready...Set....

If they rehearse in LA, they'll decide during rehearsals what kind of tune-up show they want to do, and it'll depend on what's available 3 or 4 days before San Diego. A Forum show would have to be planned in advance, and have advance sales. A club gig only needs a few days, and you can sell tix day of show to fan club people.

Date: April 10, 2015 11:32

You LA guys are in luck! The Stones will be there in a few weeks to rehearse, Per Keith, and will likely play a tune-up gig before heading down to San Diego. If the gig is in a larger venue like the Forum or large theater, they'll announce and sell tickets. If its in a club, like Echoplex last time, it'll be a day of the show announcement. But it will happen, it always does.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 10, 2015 12:15

stonesrule

The Bevonshire motel is an old but trustworthy place to stay in a fine location
on Beverly Blvd. near Fairfax. Close to the very trendy "Grove," a mall for people with money but great atmosphere and also to the long loved Farmer's Market with many choices of good food and on the #14 Bus route which covers
a lot of worthwhile bus stops and goes all the way to downtown.

I called "John" who runs the place. One bed is 80 dollars. Two bedded room
under $100...all depends on how busy they are or it could go up a bit You can find them on the web. Likely to be very busy by early May. It will be SAFE and he did not get pushy.

Just don't carry valuables out with you. The same rules apply in every big city. And try avoid looking like a tourist!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home