Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2015 16:16

stones2000
Hi. I'm considering buying Bridges to Babylon, but I was hoping I could get some advice on the album from other users. What do you think of the album? Thanks

The album is fantastic - and frustrating. Flip The Switch, Anybody Seen My Baby?, Lowdown, Out Of Control, Too Tight and Keith's 3 tracks (truly the best 3 tracks on the LP as far as I'm concerned) are the best tunes.

Gunface is hilariously awful - and I mean that. It's funny yet somehow it's bad. Might As Well Get Juiced is flat out awful. Already Over Me could've been OK if it wasn't so overdone and Already Suffering is just... awful.

Of the three recent LPs I probably listen to this LP the most - although I've deleted a few of the songs and made it a 10 track album.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 28, 2015 21:48

Fantastic ? Like Exile? Please. It's so so. SHOULD have been much better but then they excluded some gems and overproduced

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: March 28, 2015 21:58

I'd get them both!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 28, 2015 22:53

gotdablouse
alhavu1
Umm, it's just not. It's OK and overproduced like Steel Wheels PLUS they blew it as they had better songs they decide not to include

What "better songs" ? The rumored "Everchanging World" flipside? Those Karnbach mentioned in his book and that no one's ever heard?

alhavu1
Fantastic ? Like Exile? Please. It's so so. SHOULD have been much better but then they excluded some gems and overproduced

Again, WHAT gems ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 22:54 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 28, 2015 23:31

The best tracks on B2B could have been on any Stones album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 28, 2015 23:49

DandelionPowderman
The best tracks on B2B could have been on any Stones album.

I think that's rather far-fetched, sorry. How many of these great tracks have been played on the radio in comparison to their best albums, how many have influenced the culture, and how many have the Stones themselves attempted to play live on any tour in recent memory?

Date: March 28, 2015 23:54

People in their 50s/60s don't have to influence culture to make great songs. The rest of your criterias aren't what I use for measuring quality.

How Can I Stop is one of my five favourite Stones tracks, hence I think it's good enough to be on any Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 23:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 28, 2015 23:59

DandelionPowderman
People in their 50s/60s don't have to influence culture to make great songs. The rest of your criterias aren't what I use for measuring quality.

How Can I Stop is one of my five favourite Stones tracks, hence I think it's good enough to be on any Stones album.

It isn't bad by post-Wyman era standards. That doesn't mean it's as good as the best work they've done. But reasonable people can obviously disagree, as we so often do.

The album itself is more a work of diplomacy than a coherent artistic statement from the band. Are there still enjoyable tracks? Yes.

Date: March 29, 2015 00:02

Yep, it's an uneven album, to put it mildly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 29, 2015 00:12

DandelionPowderman

Spoken like a true aging musician/songwriter (who has some great songs). grinning smiley People in their 20's and 30's don't need to influence culture to make great songs either. Songs that influence culture are usually great, but tons of great songs have absolutely no effect on culture.

peace

Date: March 29, 2015 00:16

He he, but yeah, that was what I was trying to say grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 29, 2015 00:23

Great Album! Well in fact they are all.....almost

Date: March 29, 2015 00:27

Was that the tour where Keith wore shades and that leopardskin coat, or was that Voodoo? Memory fails me.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 29, 2015 00:56

Not in the same league as the 60-70's Stone albums but are any of the post 89 albums even close to those?

on its own merits it is a very good album IMHO

Date: March 29, 2015 01:17

71Tele
Was that the tour where Keith wore shades and that leopardskin coat, or was that Voodoo? Memory fails me.

Yep, The B2B tour.

Date: March 29, 2015 01:18

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Yep, The B2B tour.

I suspected at the time he was dipping back into the smack bag and I believe he even said something about that later...Had front row seats in Portland. Excellent show.

Date: March 29, 2015 01:34

Yeah, supposedly he was. I remember he said he had dabbled a little with it again.

Then again, this could have been BS Keith having "fun" with the press again...

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: March 29, 2015 01:40

Just got the album brand new for fifteen bucks at a cd store!

Date: March 29, 2015 01:41

thumbs up

Date: March 29, 2015 01:43

stones2000

Suckerrrr!....We were just kidding, the record is horrible and now we have less competition for the good seats on the 2015 tour. winking smiley

peace

Date: March 29, 2015 03:19

Naturalust
stones2000

Suckerrrr!....We were just kidding, the record is horrible and now we have less competition for the good seats on the 2015 tour. winking smiley

peace

Oh, I don't know, I'll be right there at the pre sale grinning smiley. I like "You Don't Have to Mean it".

Date: March 29, 2015 07:08

We're all in pre-sale right now, pal! Before going on sale...

What the hell is pre-sale anyway? Either they're on sale or they ain't.

Date: March 29, 2015 07:11

alhavu1

Well, for what it is, yes. Why does everything have to be compared to EXILE etc all the gotdamned time around here? Did I say 'like Exile'? No.

As far as excluded gems that were excluded you must be confusing it with the excellent leftovers from the VOODOO sessions.

Date: March 29, 2015 07:28

What bothers me most about the record is that it is so clearly Mick and Keith working on their own tracks, using the other band members (or sometimes non-band members) as sideman, and Don Was mediating between the Mick and Keith camps, rather than "producing" in the usual sense. It wouldn't be the first record made this way (see Beatles White Album), but in this case the results are tainted by the process. Sounds very commitee-like, despite some good tracks. I never understood Don Was as a producer for the Stones. It seems like he was chosen more for his ability to be non-offensive to both Mick and Keith, rather than for being the most appropriate person musically, the same way Chuck got his gig.

Date: March 29, 2015 08:33

71Tele
What bothers me most about the record is that it is so clearly Mick and Keith working on their own tracks, using the other band members (or sometimes non-band members) as sideman, and Don Was mediating between the Mick and Keith camps, rather than "producing" in the usual sense. It wouldn't be the first record made this way (see Beatles White Album), but in this case the results are tainted by the process. Sounds very commitee-like, despite some good tracks. I never understood Don Was as a producer for the Stones. It seems like he was chosen more for his ability to be non-offensive to both Mick and Keith, rather than for being the most appropriate person musically, the same way Chuck got his gig.

That's ludicrous. The only story I've heard about Chuck's selection was that Stu said he was the man for the job.

peace

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 29, 2015 18:43

mitch

Is it a joke?
You are asking advices for an album you can buy for $3 on ebay or amazon!
Buy it and write us your review instead waisting your time asking what to do.
LOL, i was thinking the same thing. People really still overpay for albums these days? I use ebay/amazon, and often find albums still new/shrinkwrapped for $3, and I'm sure i could find both voodoo and bridges for that.

But regarding the topic, to me, Bridges is a great album. Thief In The Night i find a little boring but i love all the rest.

Date: March 30, 2015 17:48

Saw this tour in Charlotte 1997. Great to hear this new material then. Would love to hear Switch and Saint on the 2015 tour.

Mike

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: March 30, 2015 20:08

Love this album. I was listening to it on the drive in to work this morning. Let your ears be the test since when you read people on the forums talk about their favourite cuts everybody has different songs that they like which means something. It was a great tour as well, first time seeing them since Buffalo 81. I must be the only person that absolutely loves "Too Tight." Great up-tempo track.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 30, 2015 20:17

Shantipole
I must be the only person that absolutely loves "Too Tight." Great up-tempo track.
you're not alone, i also find it great. especially "i wrote that f*cking book"

Date: March 30, 2015 20:33

I think my favourite songs from Babylon are Flip the Switch, You Don't Have to Mean it, and How Can I Stop . Love those

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home