Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Back To Roots New Album (RUMOUR AS OF NOW)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:16

ROCKMAN

Date: March 25, 2015 11:17

GetYerAngie
68to72
GetYerAngie
Stoneage
I'm with Getyerangie on this. Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.
Of course you can add the odd bluestrack (or two), but that's another thing. If you want the old Rolling Stones: Listen to the old records.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. An album of blues-standards done traditionally would be somewhat disappointing IMO. I loved their take on Manish Boy on LYL, though, and still do. I think it matches Muddy.

Yeah, he might have grown tired of it some time ago, but hes still pretty good at it when he has a go!

Blue is a relatively good example of what I miss in Down in the hole and Back of my hand, namely that the basic blues patern is developed or moulded in to something else. Like on tracks like Some Girls or Slave.

Maybe I didn't get what you're saying, but how isn't Down In The Hole developed into something else? I don't think they have used those chord sequences even on other musical styles.

For me, DITH is a good example of what you say you're missing smiling smiley

Date: March 25, 2015 11:29

IAW with DP. I think DITH is a great example of taking the Blues, and working them into something newer, but still retaining raw and original spirit.
Jagger tried it again on "Might as well get juiced". Love that kind of stuff.

Date: March 25, 2015 11:44

Palace Revolution 2000
IAW with DP. I think DITH is a great example of taking the Blues, and working them into something newer, but still retaining raw and original spirit.

Break The Spell is one of those as well. Not a classic, but interesting for the reasons you mention here.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:57

Palace Revolution 2000

I think you've got a point about the original blues spirit - I think that is why my reservations to DITH grew (at the time of the release of ER DITH was actually one of my favourites on the record - but well that's long gone).

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 25, 2015 13:08

jlowe
RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage
Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.

But Sir Michael has also shown signs of not being so anti-nostalgic lately. He started digging the old vaults (EXILE, SOME GIRLS); he did that Solomon Burke thing, then a blues gig at Obama's, and he has claimed having made some blues songs with Charlie... Who knows what the old bugger is up to these days...

- Doxa

Not to forget the project with the Red Devils in 1992 - unfortunately never officially released. He never lost his addiction to the blues.

Has Mick ever said officially why these tracks were never released?

I don't know. The Red Devils seemed often to have some trouble with their recorded stuff. They recorded e.g. some tracks with Johnny Cash which were never released due to technical problems. Their second album was reduced to an EP due to the same failures as one said. MJ released at least one track of this session on his Best of. The rest of the recorded stuff is available on several boots in quite good sound quality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 13:10 by RobertJohnson.

Date: March 25, 2015 13:15

RobertJohnson
jlowe
RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage
Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.

But Sir Michael has also shown signs of not being so anti-nostalgic lately. He started digging the old vaults (EXILE, SOME GIRLS); he did that Solomon Burke thing, then a blues gig at Obama's, and he has claimed having made some blues songs with Charlie... Who knows what the old bugger is up to these days...

- Doxa

Not to forget the project with the Red Devils in 1992 - unfortunately never officially released. He never lost his addiction to the blues.

I don't know. The Red Devils seemed often to have some trouble with their recorded stuff. They recorded e.g. some tracks with Johnny Cash which were never released due to technical problems. Their second album was reduced to an EP due to the same failures as one said. MJ released at least one track of this session on his Best of. The rest of the recorded stuff is available on several boots in quite good sound quality.

Yeah, but there are some issues with the quality even on those tracks smiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 25, 2015 13:19

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
jlowe
RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

Yeah, but there are some issues with the quality even on those tracks smiling smiley

In fact. Without some improvement (sound quality) the stuff could never be released officially.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 25, 2015 16:14

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
corriecas
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
We're going to be hearing that they are/have been working on a "back to their roots" album prior to the 2015 tour.

Now, please consider this to be nothing but a RUMOUR.

We'll know soon enough if it's true.

As of today, the announcement date is still 31st March, 2015. Perhaps we'll know something at that time. Let's hope so..........smiling smiley

CE smoking smiley

That's what I've been dreaming of. Thanks a lot!

It wont happen.
Jeroen

Why would a long time Stones employee pass these news if there wasn't any hold in it?

An ex-employee I believe and still friends with Jane Rose apparently, which should provide her with good info of course, but when's the last time "Cocaine Eyes" provided any useful/"real" info? Other than the silly "people they are going to play a club show in Paris try to get a ticket" before the Trabendo, "people they are going to play a club show in LA, try to get a ticket" before the Echoplex, or "I know where that picture was taken" (when they rehearsed for the "second" Australian tour in 2014)...oh and I think she'd "announced" a club show in Chicago in 2013 too! Having said that I'd love to be wrong about that new "scoop" she's giving us...

Without discussing individuals here, I'll say that you have a point.

I really hope this is true, though, as I have heard this before, albeit earlier on when they were touring a different continent...
Cocaine Eyes promised me NY shows and it appears there will be some... I take "her" posts seriously.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 25, 2015 17:12

DoomandGloom
Cocaine Eyes promised me NY shows and it appears there will be some... I take "her" posts seriously.

Yeah, but not in Manhattan itself. Somewhere on the outskirts of NYC. At least, I'd call it the outskirts. (But I'm from Toronto so what do I know about NYC!)

smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2015 17:13

Cocaine Eyes
DoomandGloom

Yeah, but not in Manhattan itself. Somewhere on the outskirts of NYC. At least, I'd call it the outskirts. (But I'm from Toronto so what do I know about NYC!)

smoking smiley

is Buffalo considered and outskirt? and if so, of NYC, or Toronto?!

Date: March 25, 2015 17:16

No, I'm afraid Buffalo is in a different country than Canada.

That said........don't give up on TORONTO just yet. (I'm not talking about The Leafs!)

smoking smiley

Date: March 25, 2015 17:27

Cocaine Eyes

That said........don't give up on TORONTO just yet. (I'm not talking about The Leafs!)

smoking smiley

Shouldn't matter, Windsor is an outskirt of Detroit!

GO TORONTO! On the other hand, being from Vancouver I need to reserve my energy for either the Canucks or a show in the Pacific NW!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2015 18:17

treaclefingers
Cocaine Eyes

smoking smiley

GO TORONTO! On the other hand, being from Vancouver I need to reserve my energy for either the Canucks or a show in the Pacific NW!

You haven't learned yet? My oh my. You have a better chance of seeing the Stones than the Canucks doing anything.

Ever.

Date: March 25, 2015 18:23

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Cocaine Eyes

smoking smiley

You haven't learned yet? My oh my. You have a better chance of seeing the Stones than the Canucks doing anything.

Ever.

GO CANUCKS! (but seriously, no sh*t Sherlock!)

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 25, 2015 18:33

If The Stones do come to Toronto again, I hope Massey Hall is where they'll play.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: March 25, 2015 19:39

The only reason that the 'Glimmers in NYC'-threads are sticky and this one isn't must be that it contains such breaking and cutting-edge, yet so far top-secret, news, that no one dares to make it sticky because this would indicate that top-secret news would have been spilled before the Stones wanted us to know.. winking smiley
At least this is what I would love to be true spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Also I would love any potential new album to be mixed a little more balanced. Apart from that I trust the Glimmers to know their territory smiling smiley
oh, and I would also love.. but that's another story.. So far, thanks CE for the heads up, and if it isn't true, well, we do have 400odd songs, countless live recordings and another tour to enjoy. That's pretty decent I think!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 25, 2015 20:46

Cocaine Eyes
DoomandGloom

smoking smiley

I'd love to take her seriously but she hasn't mentioned San Francisco yet..winking smiley

peace

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 25, 2015 21:16

Hi Cocaine Eyes! Do you know something more about Keef new solo album?

Date: March 25, 2015 21:18

Didn't Bjørnulf talk about two smaller venue shows in NY, off Manhattan?

Date: March 25, 2015 21:23

KRiffhard

Do you mean will he tour it? Hopefully yes. But not till the Stones thing is done and dusted for 2015. That was all posted here quite a while ago. If you search for the thread, it's here somewhere.

smoking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 25, 2015 21:31

what is this mick song from? it sounds really good.it's called blue?

Date: March 25, 2015 21:32

Boognish
If The Stones do come to Toronto again, I hope Massey Hall is where they'll play.

Bingo! The Winos were amazing there. So was Charlie Watts with his Jazz Band.

Now if *I* were to place bets on Kentucky Derby Day.......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 25, 2015 21:33

lem motlow
what is this mick song from? it sounds really good.it's called blue?

A b-side from Goddess, isn't it?

Date: March 25, 2015 21:49

Cocaine Eyes
KRiffhard

Do you mean will he tour it? Hopefully yes. But not till the Stones thing is done and dusted for 2015. That was all posted here quite a while ago. If you search for the thread, it's here somewhere.

smoking smiley

I was wondering who are others musicians involved in this project ( Mick Taylor? Jack White?), how many songs recorded for this album....

Date: March 25, 2015 22:04

I can only say that he did the new record with Steve Jordan as usual. More than that would be crossing the line and I'll never do that.

OK?

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 25, 2015 22:09

Cocaine Eyes
I can only say that he did the new record with Steve Jordan as usual. More than that would be crossing the line and I'll never do that.

OK?

CE smoking smiley

OK, Would asking about the SF Bay area possibilities be crossing the line? Thanks.

peace

Date: March 25, 2015 22:09

Cocaine Eyes

OK?

CE smoking smiley[/quote

Ok CE! I understand what you mean! Many thanks thumbs up

Date: March 25, 2015 22:22

Naturalust
Cocaine Eyes

OK?

CE smoking smiley

OK, Would asking about the SF Bay area possibilities be crossing the line? Thanks.

peace

Wouldn't San Diego kinda be 'just a kiss away'? Surely within driving distance, no?

Having said that, and looking at the info I have on Keith's new solo record....let's remember the Stones thing could go well into 2016. Or at least stop and restart in 2016.

Patience please? (I know, it's really difficult!)

smoking smiley

Date: March 25, 2015 22:24

And KRiffhard - many thanks for understanding. Very cool.

smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home