Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: Back To Roots New Album (RUMOUR AS OF NOW)
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 24, 2015 14:39

treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
why does everyone assume it would be an album full of blues(-covers)?!

There's the return to Mick-and-Keith-together-in-the-bathroom songwriting;
thàt would be 'back to their roots' as well.

There's Bill Wyman on bass, and maybe even Mick Taylor on additional guitars;

There's a possible 'lo-fi' sound (as opposed to the sometimes slightly, sometimes blatantly over-produced albums the last 25 years);

I'm not claiming these are all very likely to happen; I'm just sayin'... there's more then one 'root' the band could return to.

Or maybe they'll record it in mono, and then electronically reproduce it in stereo?!

The singer in the right channel and the song in the left? Great!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 24, 2015 14:42

GetYerAngie
Stoneage
I'm with Getyerangie on this. Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.
Of course you can add the odd bluestrack (or two), but that's another thing. If you want the old Rolling Stones: Listen to the old records.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. An album of blues-standards done traditionally would be somewhat disappointing IMO. I loved their take on Manish Boy on LYL, though, and still do. I think it matches Muddy.

Yeah, he might have grown tired of it some time ago, but hes still pretty good at it when he has a go!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: March 24, 2015 14:44

Well,Well,now according to some if you disagree,Or question what another poster writes in here then you are a bully? Please, this is politically correctness taken to an extreme,more so when you claim or maybe are an "Insider" and print "rumors" then expect people to question the validity of your claim,nothing to do with bullying,personally l had huge disagreements with some here,and that is just part of belonging to a board like this, with so many members,of different nationalities and ideas,you can't take it personally,a thicker skin will help greatly..(Now start the bullying)..smiling smiley And yes this BS on the Stones part as to going back to their "roots" has been their mantra for a long time,and instead we get jewels like "A Bigger Band" nuff said..

"You know who l am, say it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-24 14:46 by ROPS.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:25

RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage
Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.

But Sir Michael has also shown signs of not being so anti-nostalgic lately. He started digging the old vaults (EXILE, SOME GIRLS); he did that Solomon Burke thing, then a blues gig at Obama's, and he has claimed having made some blues songs with Charlie... Who knows what the old bugger is up to these days...

- Doxa

Not to forget the project with the Red Devils in 1992 - unfortunately never officially released. He never lost his addiction to the blues.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:42

The announcement on 31st March 2015 actually relates to a tour by Sons of The Beatles >grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:44

ROPS
Well,Well,now according to some if you disagree,Or question what another poster writes in here then you are a bully? Please, this is politically correctness taken to an extreme,more so when you claim or maybe are an "Insider" and print "rumors" then expect people to question the validity of your claim,nothing to do with bullying,personally l had huge disagreements with some here,and that is just part of belonging to a board like this, with so many members,of different nationalities and ideas,you can't take it personally,a thicker skin will help greatly..(Now start the bullying)..smiling smiley And yes this BS on the Stones part as to going back to their "roots" has been their mantra for a long time,and instead we get jewels like "A Bigger Band" nuff said..

I don't think you need to necessarily lose civility when you disagree. Just because I'm disagreeing with your perception on this doesn't give me the right to belittle you.

This whole online 'chit chatroom' is pretty boring if everyone agrees on everything, but bullying is unnecessary and in the end, not even useful.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:53

MrThompsonWooft
The announcement on 31st March 2015 actually relates to a tour by Sons of The Beatles >grinning smiley<
With special guest Mick Taylor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-24 15:54 by bonddm.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 24, 2015 16:18

RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage
Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.

But Sir Michael has also shown signs of not being so anti-nostalgic lately. He started digging the old vaults (EXILE, SOME GIRLS); he did that Solomon Burke thing, then a blues gig at Obama's, and he has claimed having made some blues songs with Charlie... Who knows what the old bugger is up to these days...

- Doxa

Not to forget the project with the Red Devils in 1992 - unfortunately never officially released. He never lost his addiction to the blues.

Has Mick ever said officially why these tracks were never released?

Date: March 24, 2015 16:38

treaclefingers
ROPS

I don't think you need to necessarily lose civility when you disagree. Just because I'm disagreeing with your perception on this doesn't give me the right to belittle you.

This whole online 'chit chatroom' is pretty boring if everyone agrees on everything, but bullying is unnecessary and in the end, not even useful.
. thumbs up

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 24, 2015 17:58

jlowe
RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

I don't remember where I read it, but I recall the statement being made that Eric Clapton released "From The Cradle" around the same time and beat Jagger to the punch so he shelved it. Good stuff, hope it gets an official release some day.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 24, 2015 18:49

Can't wait to hear Jagger's redemption of Malagueña ...

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2015 19:03

ROPS
treaclefingers
ROPS

. thumbs up

Damn! I was bracing for a fight! Oh well...smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 24, 2015 19:54

Ross
jlowe
RobertJohnson
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

I don't remember where I read it, but I recall the statement being made that Eric Clapton released "From The Cradle" around the same time and beat Jagger to the punch so he shelved it. Good stuff, hope it gets an official release some day.

The blues are such a foundation for rock I don't think they can ever really get stale or disappear as such. Certainly not for Keith, or for Mick the guitar and harmonica player and obviously not for Mick Taylor. Aspects of them tend to sneak into lots of the Stones guitar phrasings, lyrical ideas and song arrangements.

Strange if Jagger shelved a good record just because another artist had a similar concept and released it first. Didn't stop them from releasing TSMR after Sgt. Pepper came out..winking smiley But of course Mick business sensibilities have changed since then and it's possible he realized Clapton was considerably better at pulling off the idea and couldn't stand the possibility of less than stellar comparisons.

I'm hoping their roots approach entails new Stones songs instead of covers and takes a production approach similar to Let It Bleed, simple and in your face. Bring back the acoustic guitars and slide, Mick on harmonica and some classic Mick and Keith harmony vocals. Since it could be the last Stones record, I don't care if they take all the time they need, like in the old days, to get it right. Maybe Glyn Johns could recapture some of the magic, but no Don Was please....

peace

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 24, 2015 19:59

I hope The Stones don't do a blues album. Charlie plays too stiff for the blues.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 24, 2015 20:34

Boognish
I hope The Stones don't do a blues album. Charlie plays too stiff for the blues.

don't tell him that..

he might hit you

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 24, 2015 21:14

Like I said guys and gals... "The Rolling Stones Play Chuck Berry's Great 28" will be announced next week. It'll be a great "back to the roots" album. Kanye West will make a guest appearance on School Days, Miley Cyrus will do Sweet Little Sixteen, etc.. etc.. You guys are laughing now, but just you wait til you hear Justin Bieber doing Almost Grown.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 24, 2015 21:27

duke richardson
Boognish

don't tell him that..

he might hit you
Then I'll sue him. I hear he's rich smiling smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 24, 2015 22:04

flacnvinyl
Like I said guys and gals... "The Rolling Stones Play Chuck Berry's Great 28" will be announced next week. It'll be a great "back to the roots" album. Kanye West will make a guest appearance on School Days, Miley Cyrus will do Sweet Little Sixteen, etc.. etc.. You guys are laughing now, but just you wait til you hear Justin Bieber doing Almost Grown.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 24, 2015 22:32

Naturalust
The blues are such a foundation for rock I don't think they can ever really get stale or disappear as such. Certainly not for Keith, or for Mick the guitar and harmonica player and obviously not for Mick Taylor. Aspects of them tend to sneak into lots of the Stones guitar phrasings, lyrical ideas and song arrangements.

Sure, Naturalust. Blues is also the foundation of rock and roll and so on. But if I want to listen to pure blues I tend to listen to Muddy Waters or some of his peers. So I don't think a straight blues album
from the band would be that convincing in 2015 (well, it's not going to happen anyway...). Unless, of course, they did songs like Rich Man's Blues or Tax Dodging Blues! (just kidding...)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2015 23:06

Unless, of course, they did songs like Rich Man's Blues

Or a cover of Muddy's -- I Got a Rich Man's Woman .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 24, 2015 23:12

Stoneage
Naturalust

Sure, Naturalust. Blues is also the foundation of rock and roll and so on. But if I want to listen to pure blues I tend to listen to Muddy Waters or some of his peers. So I don't think a straight blues album
from the band would be that convincing in 2015 (well, it's not going to happen anyway...). Unless, of course, they did songs like Rich Man's Blues or Tax Dodging Blues! (just kidding...)

The thought that you have to live the blues to play them convincingly has caused much suffering among musicians searching for blues authenticity. As a musician, I'm not convinced it's entirely true, but it's hard to make that point after listening to some of the Delta Blues masters sing and play their life stories.

My first taste of the blues was actually, 2nd generation, this tune by the Allman brothers and it was enough to make me sit up and take notice. Those fills by Duane are powerful stuff, learned every one, still use 'em now and then. Only later did I discover Son House, Muddy Waters, Mississippi Fred McDowell, et al. But, I sure like the Stones country-blues so I wouldn't mind a bit more of that, not sure they could add much to straight blues.

peace

Date: March 24, 2015 23:36

treaclefingers
ROPS
treaclefingers
ROPS

. thumbs up

Damn! I was bracing for a fight! Oh well...smileys with beer

winking smileySorry to disappoint you tf,no fighting today,we'll leave it for when the tour starts...smiling smiley

"You know who l am, say it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 01:40 by ROPS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2015 23:37

And the Allman's covered Blind Willie McTell's - Statesboro Blues

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 25, 2015 01:16

Now this is some great news. Maybe as exciting as the upcoming tour.
"Cocaine Eyes", I hope you can ignore the few bad mannered participants
on this board. In actuality this involves a tiny percentage of the fans
On this board. Most of the members are passionate about the stones and highly
Knowledgeable about the band, the music and the history.

Date: March 25, 2015 01:18

Rockman
And the Allman's covered Blind Willie McTell's - Statesboro Blues

Not without covering Taj's version first winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2015 05:37

68to72
GetYerAngie
Stoneage
I'm with Getyerangie on this. Sir Michael grew tired of the blues already in the mid-seventies. It was by then a stale concept. The concept of going back in time is never a fresh one.
Of course you can add the odd bluestrack (or two), but that's another thing. If you want the old Rolling Stones: Listen to the old records.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. An album of blues-standards done traditionally would be somewhat disappointing IMO. I loved their take on Manish Boy on LYL, though, and still do. I think it matches Muddy.

Yeah, he might have grown tired of it some time ago, but hes still pretty good at it when he has a go!

From what I can gather Mick is playing all the guitars on Blue, along with the harmonica and of course backing vocals with Matt Clifford.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: March 25, 2015 07:41

To me a back to the roots style thing wouldn't have to be blues or whatever. To me, the difference between modern stones and some of the stones stuff in the 60s that I missed most was their acoustic or obscure tracks (e.g. you got the silver and something happened to me yesterday).

If they did a bit more of that I would be really happy. I feel like no bands really do many good acoustic numbers the way the stones used to.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:02

woodyweaving
To me a back to the roots style thing wouldn't have to be blues or whatever. To me, the difference between modern stones and some of the stones stuff in the 60s that I missed most was their acoustic or obscure tracks (e.g. you got the silver and something happened to me yesterday).

If they did a bit more of that I would be really happy. I feel like no bands really do many good acoustic numbers the way the stones used to.

Hear hear! There's more to roots than blues covers (nice as they are).

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:10

68to72
GetYerAngie
Stoneage

Blue is a relatively good example of what I miss in Down in the hole and Back of my hand, namely that the basic blues patern is developed or moulded in to something else. Like on tracks like Some Girls or Slave.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:14

To me, "Back to Roots", should not be a style thing. I don't care what style any new songs would be, blues, soul, reggae, disco, rock n roll, whatever. What's missing is not a particular style and it certainly it wouldn't do them any good just blindly repeating something they did before ("another Exile" ). What's missing is to really love what they do, be curious about it, figuring out something new, all going for it, contributing to the sound, to the songs, getting a kick out of it, as they must have felt when they made "Aftermath", "Beggar's Banquet", "Sticky Fingers" or "Some Girls", even though these are stylistically different albums. Actually, I have the feeling with "Exile" this enthousiasm was already beginning to fade, but they were still riding on top of that 4-year wave of having discovered something completely "their own".
The big question of course, is if they still can feel something together like this. It would require spending a lot of time together, playing, jamming, listening to music, getting drunk together, sharing experiences, etc...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home