Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: RRHOF: Green Day and not....
Date: March 21, 2015 16:46

The RRHOF has an American bent to is as well, but of course Wenner's favorite British artists get in.
That being said, Roxy Music should have been in a LONG time ago. Their influence (if that's what they are going off of) was immense.

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: March 21, 2015 16:54

CHEAP TRICK

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 21, 2015 17:35

Seb91
The RRHOF is a bit of a joke but it's always good when people who deserve it get recognition. Really happy Lou Reed is in as a solo artist, shame it didn't happen in his lifetime though. Wonder if John Cale will also get a solo induction? The guy is such a talented songwriter and musician, not to mention his great work as a producer.
John Cale is great, but I doubt he gets in on his own. He didn't have a hit or hits like Lou did in his solo career. Lou's albums did make an impact and were known about. Cale's, for better or for worse, weren't and he's not a big enough name on his own for me to see him ever get inducted. The guy made some great music though. And produced Patti Smith's Horses among other stuff for Christ sake.

RomanCandle
Chelsea Girl and Paris 1919 are both stunning records.
Don't forget his debut solo album, Vintage Violence. Excellent record, while Paris 1919 is a god damn masterpiece.

Date: March 21, 2015 17:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Deep Purple and Yes must be in thefre as soon as possible. And - seriously: are the Moody Blues not in there?
Huge omission is T.Rex. Is Marc Bolan in there on his own maybe?

Its pretty amazing isn't it. You think those first 3 are locks. Deep Purple influenced every guitarist out there, and Yes has been around for decades and made at least 3 excellent records that influenced a lot of people. The Moody Blues? I'm not even a fan but they made like 7 records, in a row, with at least one big hit on each, and all the albums are critically acclaimed. It doesn't even make sense how they aren't in.

T. Rex/Marc Bolan I do understand. I'm a HUGE T Rex fan, but he was always more underground than mainstream. You have Electric Warrior which everyone knows, but then you have The Slider which IMO is far superior. Tanx is a great album, and he's got some scattered other good material. Problem with him is he never truly hit. He isn't one of those other 3 up there that had the wide success, and I've always said thats important for a Rock Hall Of Fame. We can't just be inducting people because we like them. I feel I can like people like T Rex but objectively see they shouldn't be in a Hall with The Beatles, the Stones, etc. Bowie was massively influenced by Bolan, but Bowie took it so much further. His induction makes obvious sense. I'd love to see Marc Bolan and T Rex inducting into the Hall Of Fame, but for my own selfish reasons, knowing full well he probably never will and probably doesn't deserve to be in there.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 21, 2015 21:35

RollingFreak
Seb91
The RRHOF is a bit of a joke but it's always good when people who deserve it get recognition. Really happy Lou Reed is in as a solo artist, shame it didn't happen in his lifetime though. Wonder if John Cale will also get a solo induction? The guy is such a talented songwriter and musician, not to mention his great work as a producer.
John Cale is great, but I doubt he gets in on his own. He didn't have a hit or hits like Lou did in his solo career. Lou's albums did make an impact and were known about. Cale's, for better or for worse, weren't and he's not a big enough name on his own for me to see him ever get inducted. The guy made some great music though. And produced Patti Smith's Horses among other stuff for Christ sake.

RomanCandle
Chelsea Girl and Paris 1919 are both stunning records.
Don't forget his debut solo album, Vintage Violence. Excellent record, while Paris 1919 is a god damn masterpiece.

Sure! Amsterdam and Gideon's Bible are classic. I discovered his solo stuff with Songs for Drella and the live Fragments of a Rainy Season.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2015 22:02

RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000
Deep Purple and Yes must be in thefre as soon as possible. And - seriously: are the Moody Blues not in there?

Its pretty amazing isn't it. You think those first 3 are locks. Deep Purple influenced every guitarist out there, and Yes has been around for decades and made at least 3 excellent records that influenced a lot of people. The Moody Blues? I'm not even a fan but they made like 7 records, in a row, with at least one big hit on each, and all the albums are critically acclaimed. It doesn't even make sense how they aren't in.

T. Rex/Marc Bolan I do understand. I'm a HUGE T Rex fan, but he was always more underground than mainstream. You have Electric Warrior which everyone knows, but then you have The Slider which IMO is far superior. Tanx is a great album, and he's got some scattered other good material. Problem with him is he never truly hit. He isn't one of those other 3 up there that had the wide success, and I've always said thats important for a Rock Hall Of Fame. We can't just be inducting people because we like them. I feel I can like people like T Rex but objectively see they shouldn't be in a Hall with The Beatles, the Stones, etc. Bowie was massively influenced by Bolan, but Bowie took it so much further. His induction makes obvious sense. I'd love to see Marc Bolan and T Rex inducting into the Hall Of Fame, but for my own selfish reasons, knowing full well he probably never will and probably doesn't deserve to be in there.

But with that rational they'd never have inducted Velvet Underground.

Date: March 21, 2015 22:39

treaclefingers
RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000

Eh, I guess I mean the right amount of popularity or influence. Velvet Underground might not have insane popularity, but they influenced EVERYONE. The album where 100 people bought it but every one of those people started a band, or whatever the legend is. Their influence, and so many others, make up for their less than popular status. Also, VU as the years have gone by, have completely increased in popularity. I guess what I'm saying is T Rex never quite had enough of the popularity or the influence, and if he was a huge influence many people weren't saying it often. David Bowie is the only one that springs to mind as outright saying it and praising him. You know what I mean?

Date: March 21, 2015 22:45

RollingFreak
treaclefingers
RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000

Eh, I guess I mean the right amount of popularity or influence. Velvet Underground might not have insane popularity, but they influenced EVERYONE. The album where 100 people bought it but every one of those people started a band, or whatever the legend is. Their influence, and so many others, make up for their less than popular status. Also, VU as the years have gone by, have completely increased in popularity. I guess what I'm saying is T Rex never quite had enough of the popularity or the influence, and if he was a huge influence many people weren't saying it often. David Bowie is the only one that springs to mind as outright saying it and praising him. You know what I mean?

You are kidding, right?

Date: March 21, 2015 22:50

Feel free to point out what I may be kidding about. Everything I've said so far is a total fact.

Posted by: Caliblues ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:08

Deep Purple

YES

Judas Priest

Loooou

Meatloaf

Date: March 21, 2015 23:09

RomanCandle
RollingFreak
treaclefingers
RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000

You are kidding, right?

yeah, I'm sure he's kidding, don't worry.

Date: March 21, 2015 23:25

Bolan might not have insane popularity but he influenced everyone. And I mean, a HUGE influence on
Folk music, Glam Rock, Punk, Post-punk, Britpop
Plus many influential musicians stole his riffs, his attitude...

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:31

Roxy Music
Jethro Tull
Yes
Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Moody Blues

Should all be in imo MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-21 23:34 by The Mez.

Date: March 21, 2015 23:39

RomanCandle
Bolan might not have insane popularity but he influenced everyone. And I mean, a HUGE influence on

No one mentions him. At least not in the way people, or I guess the press, mention Velvet Underground. Bolan predates and created a lot of that glam stuff, but he's still not a household or widely known name. Maybe he is the UK. But not in the US. Which is insanely sad, cause the guy's an absolute monster. But he's just not. He's a one hit wonder to most, if most people under 50 know him at all.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:43

Gren Day. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:49

Bolan absolutely belongs in the HOF. He created, inspired a very distinctive niche in rock and roll. And I'd forgotten about Roxy Music.
That's why, to me, GD's induction is absurd. And this is from someone who likes them. It's not about worth, but timing and perspective. 25 is 25 years, but in someone like Lou Reed's case, it's almost 50 years.. Roxy Music is about 40.. Etc
The whole event has become such a publicized, mainstream event that they throw in one youngish act to appeal to younger audiences so as not to seem irrelevant.

I guess..

Date: March 22, 2015 00:01

stupidguy2
Bolan absolutely belongs in the HOF. He created, inspired a very distinctive niche in rock and roll. And I'd forgotten about Roxy Music.
That's why, to me, GD's induction is absurd. And this is from someone who likes them. It's not about worth, but timing and perspective. 25 is 25 years, but in someone like Lou Reed's case, it's almost 50 years.. Roxy Music is about 40.. Etc
The whole event has become such a publicized, mainstream event that they throw in one youngish act to appeal to younger audiences so as not to seem irrelevant.

I guess..

No, thats exactly it. But thats why it doesn't matter at this point to the people that aren't inducted. Yes, its nice when they finally are, but the bottom line is they've been ignored, and the bad part is they've been knowingly ignored by people like Jann Wenner and others. They know who Bolan and others are and don't let them in for their own selfish reasons. Thats why it doesn't matter who gets in.

Thats why, IMO, when they do someone like Green Day, its simply better than someone like Madonna or Grandmaster Flash. I don't think its deserved, I don't think they are better than T Rex obviously, but I also don't think they are the worst choices and there is at least merit there. Also, its that you just can't argue with the people they are inducting. They're going in anyway. Might as well see the silver lining with it, or just flat out ignore it. For the people that aren't in yet, like T Rex, whether its deserved or not, its not worth the argument. Cause it gives the Hall stupid credibility that they don't deserve and it won't do a god damn thing. We know they're great. We don't need an institution telling us they are finally good enough, especially when they've been ignored for so long.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:12

Still irks a little though.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:15

Maybe they are saving bands like Yes, Deep Purple and Dire Straits so they actually have some truly big and influential bands left from the classic era to induct year after year. I mean if they had already included most of these obvious choices instead of some of the questionable ones and with the state of rock music acts these days, I can just imagine how lame there list might get in short order.

peace

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:22

Naturalust
Maybe they are saving bands like Yes, Deep Purple and Dire Straits so they actually have some truly big and influential bands left from the classic era to induct year after year. I mean if they had already included most of these obvious choices instead of some of the questionable ones and with the state of rock music acts these days, I can just imagine how lame there list might get in short order.

peace

Nice thought Naturalust, but maybe pigs could fly too. smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:39

latebloomer
Naturalust

peace

You, my dear, obviously never saw Pink Floyd in 1977.

peace

Date: March 22, 2015 00:40

treaclefingers
RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000

Good ppint. But when Rollingfreak says that Bolan never truly hit, ir that he was only recognized in underground - it is because he only hit in UK and Europe. Now IMO that is huge.
VU were underground but they were in "right' underground; i.e. NYC. Somebody, somewhere decided that USA's music scene is more important than Europe.
Regardless - Marc Bolan, and Roxy Music have been massive influences on today's music. Many of today's groups might be too dense to even know it. Green day...give me a break

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:58

Naturalust
latebloomer
Naturalust

peace

You, my dear, obviously never saw Pink Floyd in 1977.

peace

True. I suppose anything's possible. smiling smiley

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: March 22, 2015 02:09

It is too soon. I believe they deserve it in the future. I think they're great!smoking smiley

Date: March 22, 2015 03:20

Naturalust

peace
Its possible, but I hope thats not the case. Because people die and then they don't get that honor. Honestly, I think thats less so the case. Rolling Stone is very anti certain bands. Its why KISS got dissed so many years, its why it took forever for Genesis to get in. They are against Prog rock and Hard Rock, which is why Yes and Deep Purple aren't in yet. They don't see them as worthy. I would actually prefer them to be saved as you said, but I dont think thats what happening here. I think they're being intentionally snubbed and thats why the Hall deserves no credibility IMO.

Date: March 22, 2015 03:39

RollingFreak
RomanCandle

No one mentions him. At least not in the way people, or I guess the press, mention Velvet Underground. Bolan predates and created a lot of that glam stuff, but he's still not a household or widely known name. Maybe he is the UK. But not in the US. Which is insanely sad, cause the guy's an absolute monster. But he's just not. He's a one hit wonder to most, if most people under 50 know him at all.

yeah, that totally makes sense...here are some examples of worthy inductees that we all widely known with household names:

Laura Nyro, The Famous Flames, The Midnighters, The Comets, The Blue Caps (2012)

Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman (2010)

Wanda Jackson, Spooner Oldham (2009)

Frank Barsalona (2005)

The Dells (2004)

OK...I got tired of researching...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 22, 2015 05:21

Relax. Everyone gets in eventually.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 05:35

CHEAP TRICK !!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2015 05:53

Relax. Everyone gets in eventually.... that's what Linda Lovelace use ta say

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:02

I think they should stop inducting anyone in and instead kick a couple out every year. tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home